Best Way To Derestrict The D-tracker (klx250)

iBkk

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if any of you has an idea about how different the (8000B) Performance ECU sold by Kawasaki is compared to the 2 other Derestricting mods.

The first other mod i'm talking about is the (FREE) technique posted here and on Thumpertalks about cutting a wire and linking it to the CPU, tricking the "bike" as if it was in Neutral gear, alowing to rev high on any gear.

The second other mod is the (2000B) made in CM "box", wich from what i understood also alows to rev high in any gear.

The price difference is really high, from 8k to nothing, i was wondering how different those 3 mods really are. If the point is just about reving higher, the free mod does it well, if it's also about injection setting or specific mapping it might worth it to pay the price.

Long story short, should i cut or should i pay ? :)

cut and tell

Amen do the free one first.

There are lots of bikes that respond to the "cut wire" tricks, some have sensors in the speedo, some have gear position switches.

Some black boxes simply mimic the wire cut.

Edited by VocalNeal

• 2 weeks later...
cut and tell

Amen do the free one first.

There are lots of bikes that respond to the "cut wire" tricks, some have sensors in the speedo, some have gear position switches.

Some black boxes simply mimic the wire cut.

Pay the 8k & keep your warranty if your buying new. The Genuine Kawasaki box of tricks is a sure bet. Do it once, Do it right!

Edited by richards

Pay the 8k & keep your warranty if your buying new. The Genuine Kawasaki box of tricks is a sure bet. Do it once, Do it right!

That's weird because the Kawasaki dealer at Rama 9 told me i would lose the warranty if i install the Performance ECU...

That's weird because the Kawasaki dealer at Rama 9 told me i would lose the warranty if i install the Performance ECU...

Ive just ordered one from Udon Thani Kawasaki. 152,500bht Brand New. One month waiting list.

Up Spec Option from the Kawasaki Dealer & fitted: Kawasaki ICU de-restrictor & Performance Exhaust. (Mandatory to start with.)

Bike is sold with full manufacturers warranty AS ICU is a Kawasaki genuine part. I did check.

ICU Price?........8,000 baht. Inc regulator.

post-98079-1271343866_thumb.jpg

post-98079-1271343902_thumb.jpg

lovely bike richards.... if you keep the warranty it seems like a good option, and you get the "performance exhaust" too, whatever that is.

it comes down to this: are you a cheapskate, or not?

:)

I'd also like to see an actual comparison between the performance ECU and the wire cutting trick. I know the latter de-restricts the RPMs which is what makes the D-Tracker feel like a real 250. It's a great improvement but it doesn't turn the bike into a monster. 130 is the max speed de-restricted. What I don't know is whether the performance ECU has a better mapping in addition to the de-restriction. You'd think it does, really. But then the question is how much do you actually gain from it.

In any case, better performance always also means worse gas mileage.... I went from 30 to 25 km/l by de-restricting...

Not sure if this will help you guys out much but I have an old 2005 D-Tracker from Japan. Very happy with the bike but it also lacked power when I bought it. With heaps of googling and looking around I was able to find out that if you put on a sports exhaust you should also open up the airbox intake. You can do this easily by removing the bolts on either side of the seat and taking the lid off the airbox. You can also replace the snorkel that is on the airbox if you don't want to remove the lid. Just buy a snorkel for a KLX300 which has a larger opening and pop it on. This does make a small difference and also allows better fuel burn.

The older ones are a little easier to uncork as they don't have fuel injection, so you just pop in a pumper carb or rejet, new exhaust, lid off the airbox and your away the power increase is awesome. I'm still messing with the carb settings so if anyone here has some more info please post.