How To Get Money From My Barclays Account?

i have a barclays bank account in the UK and recently went online to transfer some money to here. bugger, they don't offer online transfers! so i called, i can't even do it on the phone.

they said the only way to transfer money out of a barclays account is to go to a branch which is a bit hard when the nearest branch is 5000miles away.

when i opened the account i didn't realize they were a 1950s technology bank.

so i asked if i could give my brother power of attorney so he can transfer money from over there for me. they sent the request to their legal department and i never heard a word back.

so does anyone know how to access your barclays account from overseas?

thx steve

Didn't you think of sorting this out before you left the safety net of mama UK ?

I suggest phoning your branch and asking them. It should be possible for them to email you a SWIFT form, you fill it out, scan it and email it back to them.

It is a pain in the butt but what I did was open an HSBC account and then I can transfer money immediately online and then you can do online international transfers from the HSBC account to your Thai bank account, quick and easy and only costs 17 quid a transfer.

Simply send your transfer request to them in writing. It doesn't have to be on a Barclays form, you can write a normal letter but ensure you include all relevant details (IBAN etc.). I've done it numerous times.

I transfer money on line every month from my UK Barclays account. Open an account with Barclays international on line banking. I have an isle of Man account which I am pretty sure can be opened on line. You must leave a minimum of 1000 GBP in the account to keep it open. From this offshore account you can transfer money between any Barclays account that you hold and also transfer money to a Thai bank. There is a charge of 15 GBP for each transfer.

Google Barclays International online banking to get the link.

I hope this helps. if you need more info PM me.

Cheers, Rick

Who have you been talking to at Barclays? Surely not one of the oily rags? Get hold of one of the mechanics or better still the foreman. I've been transferring dosh from the UK since the year nineteen hundred and eleventy eight - and the money from my BoS account is always routed via Barclays. All I have to do is dial up the customer service call centre, go throught the security checks and then tell them how much to send. The money is sent via Telex transfer to Barclays and they then send it onwards to Thailand. If I phone before 1200 GMT the money is in my KTB account at the opening of business the following day. I do not know of any UK bank that will allow you to transfer dosh via the Internet. I suffer the declaration made by BoS informing me yet again that transferring dosh by Telex is at my risk, and not theirs. Most banks will not even allow you to correspond with them via the Internet. I know it is a bind but better be safe than sorry.

When you have kicked Barclays into life and set up a transfer facility always insist that all charges are met from your Barclays account. Furthermore ensure that insist that sterling is transferred and let the receiving bank convert to baht. The difference in the amount credited to your account will be significant.

Barclays have a buddy agreement with KTB and to avoid the horrendous charges that KTB levy to transfer funds to another Thai bank I suggest that you open an account with them. I then draw out some of the money and walk down the road to my other bank and deposit it there. Thus I have two ATM cards

so that I have the choice of using a nearby ATM belonging to one of the two and not using an ATM belonging to a third bank and thereby paying a commission to get some of MY money back.

To anybody transferring money I would suggest that it is worth the while to find out which local bank your overseas bank has a direct relationship with. Not only will you save money but it is not unknown for a Thai bank to sit on the money for a day or three before sending the money onwards to its final destination. The paranoid, such as myself, ask for a copy of the routing instructions, so that I can have a full copy of the details of the entire transaction. You are entitled to this by law. It maybe that your local branch may say that they don't have a copy as it is kept in BKK. Straighten them out by telling them that they shouldn't have too much trouble in getting a FAX copy then should they - and sit there until it arrives.

Who have you been talking to at Barclays? Surely not one of the oily rags? Get hold of one of the mechanics or better still the foreman. I've been transferring dosh from the UK since the year nineteen hundred and eleventy eight - and the money from my BoS account is always routed via Barclays. All I have to do is dial up the customer service call centre, go throught the security checks and then tell them how much to send. The money is sent via Telex transfer to Barclays and they then send it onwards to Thailand. If I phone before 1200 GMT the money is in my KTB account at the opening of business the following day. I do not know of any UK bank that will allow you to transfer dosh via the Internet. I suffer the declaration made by BoS informing me yet again that transferring dosh by Telex is at my risk, and not theirs. Most banks will not even allow you to correspond with them via the Internet. I know it is a bind but better be safe than sorry.

When you have kicked Barclays into life and set up a transfer facility always insist that all charges are met from your Barclays account. Furthermore ensure that insist that sterling is transferred and let the receiving bank convert to baht. The difference in the amount credited to your account will be significant.

Barclays have a buddy agreement with KTB and to avoid the horrendous charges that KTB levy to transfer funds to another Thai bank I suggest that you open an account with them. I then draw out some of the money and walk down the road to my other bank and deposit it there. Thus I have two ATM cards

so that I have the choice of using a nearby ATM belonging to one of the two and not using an ATM belonging to a third bank and thereby paying a commission to get some of MY money back.

To anybody transferring money I would suggest that it is worth the while to find out which local bank your overseas bank has a direct relationship with. Not only will you save money but it is not unknown for a Thai bank to sit on the money for a day or three before sending the money onwards to its final destination. The paranoid, such as myself, ask for a copy of the routing instructions, so that I can have a full copy of the details of the entire transaction. You are entitled to this by law. It maybe that your local branch may say that they don't have a copy as it is kept in BKK. Straighten them out by telling them that they shouldn't have too much trouble in getting a FAX copy then should they - and sit there until it arrives.

The original post didn't mention if the transfer would be done on a regular basis, hence my suggestion to submit a request in writing. I agree with you that if a regular transfer is required, an account that enables online transfers should be opened. I also used to bank with Barclays International in the IoM, but I switched to AIB as I found their service to be superior and more cost effective!

I do not know of any UK bank that will allow you to transfer dosh via the Internet. ............ Most banks will not even allow you to correspond with them via the Internet.

I have online banking with First Direct, and I can send queries or notify such as changes of phone numbers via their website. I can't transfer funds direct into my Kasikorn account, but there are internet banks such as Moneybookers, and it's easy to set up an account with one of them, upload dosh from my UK account and withdraw it to my Thai account. Their upfront charge is much cheaper than direct Swift transfers UK-Thailand, you do it all sat at your keyboard and the money normally gets through in 3-4 days. However, all their transfers are in Euros, and when I looked at the actual net amount of Thai baht received against Sterling transmitted, the net cost of the transfer (without knowing the exact exchange rate) looked as if it might have been a lot more than the £25 or so that a UK bank would charge for doing it direct. So I'm beginning to suspect that Moneybookers make a handsome turn on the Sterling-Euros-conversion.

I've just transferred another amount, and when it comes in I'll be going in to Kasikorn and asking to see their end of the transaction, and maybe I'll have to make some alternative long-term arrangements for sending money here. But as a back-up Moneybookers are very convenient.

Open a Bangkok Bank account then do it via internet banking as shown here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...%20options.aspx

Super easy.

I used to use MoneyBookers but their rates of exchange were horrendous.

I have BKK Bank accounts so next time I may give them a try. Although Abbey's (Santander) Telegraphic Transfer (fax info and receive in 5 days) at £25 seems £5 cheaper then the online Bangkok Bank option.

ed: sp

Edited by hunglikea

bagwan .

re ... Who have you been talking to at Barclays? Surely not one of the oily rags? Get hold of one of the mechanics or better still the foreman. I've been transferring dosh from the UK since the year nineteen hundred and eleventy eight - and the money from my BoS account is always routed via Barclays. All I have to do is dial up the customer service call centre, go throught the security checks and then tell them how much to send. The money is sent via Telex transfer to Barclays and they then send it onwards to Thailand. If I phone before 1200 GMT the money is in my KTB account at the opening of business the following day. I do not know of any UK bank that will allow you to transfer dosh via the Internet. I suffer the declaration made by BoS informing me yet again that transferring dosh by Telex is at my risk, and not theirs. Most banks will not even allow you to correspond with them via the Internet. I know it is a bind but better be safe than sorry.

re .... The paranoid, such as myself,

how ... VERY ... very ... True

Sad ... Sad ... Sad man indeed !

dave2 : )

First Direct will do an international transfer over the phone £25 and once setup it's even quicker. I have found that money gets into my Bangkok Bank within 48hrs usually next day.

So you could transfer from Barclays into First Direct online and then one quick call to First Direct.

Hope that helps

Stu

Who have you been talking to at Barclays? Surely not one of the oily rags? Get hold of one of the mechanics or better still the foreman. I've been transferring dosh from the UK since the year nineteen hundred and eleventy eight - and the money from my BoS account is always routed via Barclays. All I have to do is dial up the customer service call centre, go throught the security checks and then tell them how much to send. The money is sent via Telex transfer to Barclays and they then send it onwards to Thailand.

i called the telephone banking number 08457 555 555 and talked to the person on the phone who said it was not possible to do transfers on the phone. i'll give it another try. good tip about the KTM bank, i'll try that.

i'll also ask if they will accept a letter but that would be a bit strange wouldn't it? anyone who knows your account numbers could write a letter and forge your signature, doesn't seem secure at all.

i can also try open an account at barclays international if i can do that online.

as to the questions about why i didn't work this out when i was last in UK, i'm nearly finished inventing my time machine so i'll go back and fix it, thanks.

ok, update. i cannot transfer online, period see: http://ask.barclays.co.uk/help/travel_inte...ional/payabroad

i can transfer up to 4,999 pounds per day on the phone although the link above says unlimited to i don't get that.

i'm trying to get through to the international desk to ask about bigger transfers

Edited by stevehaigh