Computer Revamping

butterisbetter

Had my computer hard drive "repaired" by someone who reformatted my disk rather than fix a software problem. at any rate, i need some honest shop to reformat my disk again and install a legitimate version of windows 7 and windows office. by "honest" i mean i want a shop that won't install spyware or other kinds of obnoxious software. It would be most convenient for me if the shop were located at or near Pantip Plaza., i know that this is something i could do myself but I don't want to.

Well mate, to do it yourself would be easier and less painless than trekking your behind over to Panthip and rolling the dice.

Well then again, maybe walking to Panthip and putting up with their nonsense is easier than opening your CDROM drive?????

To install a legimate version means you have to buy and own a legitimate/legal version of both Windows and Office.

I would guess the cost for a legal version of both to be slightly under 10,000 thb

Now assuming you did buy and own a legitimate version of Windows and Office, then took your drive to Panthip?

Right away you have just handed them your license number and serial number for both products.

You can bet in one hour they would be using your info for all the fake Windows and Office Installs they do.

In the end you lose as the first time some updates with MS site using your info, you will be locked out.

Hi,

Well, a re-format and clean install of windows is normally the best, and recommended, treatment in an old PC which has picked up loads of clutter over the years.

Pretty much any shop at Pantib or Fortune will do a clean install of Windows 7 for you, and happily most places actually won't offer you the pirated version unless you ask. The legal version of Windows 7 Home is around 4,000 which is well worth the price and if the shop you choose doesn't have it on the shelf, they will get it for you. Be aware that it needs to be activated, which matches the copy of windows to your PC. You have 30 days to do that and it doesnt need to be done at the time of the install so you can easily do that part at home on your own.

Best of luck

The earlier comment about buying a legitimate copy of 7 then handing your computer to someone else, thus allowing them to make a copy of you legitimate 7 is correct. Don't trust anyone else. Buy your copy, stick it in you computer, install. Easy. It will automatically format your drive.

I almost agree, but the only thing that matters really is the registration number. You can give the installation disk just fine, it doesn't matter if they make 100 copies of it. (They won't, because it brings them no benefit). Just don't give them the registration number.

But that said, indeed it's best to do it yourself; Win 7 install is pretty painless. The toughest thing really is to get all the drivers together, not sure if you have those supplied with your computer but if not you need to hunt them down on the Internet.

To be honest the driver situation is much easier with Linux/Ubuntu these days. Then I run Windows in a virtual machine inside it.

I almost agree, but the only thing that matters really is the registration number. You can give the installation disk just fine, it doesn't matter if they make 100 copies of it. (They won't, because it brings them no benefit). Just don't give them the registration number.

But that said, indeed it's best to do it yourself; Win 7 install is pretty painless. The toughest thing really is to get all the drivers together, not sure if you have those supplied with your computer but if not you need to hunt them down on the Internet.

To be honest the driver situation is much easier with Linux/Ubuntu these days. Then I run Windows in a virtual machine inside it.

The OP is unsure about installing Win 7 - do you really think he'd be up to dealing with Linux/Ubuntu? :)

To the OP: Goodspeed is a reliable company and will do your installs. They have shops at Panthip and Computer Plaza (that's the main branch) and you may find it worth having them check that your system is up to running Win 7 (decently) while you're at it.

I don't know if it's accurate but someone told me the other day that buying windows online from Microsoft is actually cheaper than buying a legit version here although you don't get the disks.

i installed win7 myself and it found all the drivers for a relatively new motherboard automatically. my comp now runs much faster than vista and as fast as xp. if you have got a 64bit processor make sure you or they install the 64 bit version. for a beer i can come and do it for you if you dont want to do yourself

I've upgraded all 4 of my personal computers to Win7. Two are critical systems for my work that everything has to function correctly including some legacy software. I took a lot of time evaluating it starting with the RC versions on my netbook. After the RTM, a few weeks further evaluation before it was clear all my crucial software (engineering, software development, etc) functioned reliably. Also, have upgraded about another half dozen at the lab. Drivers were automatically found on all the systems.

However, my technician made an error and installed the 64-bit version on a couple of systems - a new one and an older one. Yep, it came back to bite us with drivers that did not have 64-bit support. As such, I would not recommend using the 64-bit unless you are certain you can get the correct drivers, plus most software still is only 32-bit though that will change over time as migration to 64-bits will be common.

Being a computer professional by career, I'm very picky about an upgrade like this. Never converted to Vista and stuck with XP due to the myriad of problems with Vista. Win7 seems to have been done right finally.

Coz,

Before loading anything, given the problems with reformatting who knows what mischief lurks on your hard drive. Best to use a German/US Govt/ or Russian coded swipe to make your hard drive like new; this may take overnight. I System Mechanic's 'Drivescrubber' or 'Acronis drive cleaner' at http://www.download3000.com/download-acron...t-reg-8207.html which is free for a limited time for eval purposes. Simply google 'Acronis drive cleaner download'. If you have a huge capacity drive then partition it at least in half, with one-half or one-fourth for WIN7.

I also second the recommendation of 'Goodspeed' top floor left at ComputerPlaza. They have various WIN7 editions at varying prices. Ask around, they have a solid reputation.