If Taksin Resigned In One Month

chownah

I personally think Thailand would possibly become unstable...

For all of his negative points, he has been the best leader Thailand have had for a long time.

Before I get flamed... I don't really follow Thai politics very much, but it seems the Thai public and certainly those Thais I have talked to would agree with my statement above.

totster :o

Edited by Totster

I agree, the vacumn caused by not having Taksin there would make Thailand unstable, and there would be many people fighting out for the top spot again with perhaps coups taking place.

As much as everybody likes to moan about Taksin there has I think been worse leaders in previous times, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me would agree and expand on that?

I feel stability will likely bounce back quickly because everyone's interests ($$$) are at stake, and the issue of face. Even the 1997 decline didn't effect me, or most others much at all, unless we had dollars to change into baht at an almost 100% profit a few times.... I never heard any rumblings from Thais worried about social stability, mostly rich folks complaining. Prices didn't rise much in comparison, either... Of course, that doesn't minimize the damage from lost jobs from the fallout. But lots got richer, too. Guess which PM was first and biggest in line?

And there are the obvious Peace Makers in this society, with powers that vary from wide, to almost absolute.

Lots of bluff and bluster and brinksmanship, but mostly it's just acting, I feel, as a type of negotiation tactic. Sometimes the bluff goes too far, but rarely, maybe now because people have recent memories of terrible carnages towards each other in the streets of Bangkok...

I don't believe the people here are souless. I just think they often play hardball, to the end.

Edited by Ajarn

If Thaksin decided he was through with politics and decided to resign in one months time....what would happen....would things be better or worse...who would take his place?

IMHO this is an impossible thread to discuss here, because there are matters, events and possible actions, the nature of which are way beyond the remit of Thaivisa.

Let it be sufficient to say, Mr. Thaksin is the democratically elected Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand. Under his leadership, the country is politically stable and the economy functions; the legal institutions are respected and many Thais are beginning to experience improvements in their conditions.

There are many improvements that need to be made, but this is the nature of government: the allocation and distribution of resources as it sees fit, given the nature of the demands placed upon it. No-one will ever be 100% satisfied.

Any discussion concerning Mr. Thaksin's resignation is purely hypothetical and as a consequence has the value afforded idle speculation.

Thaksin, in today's Post

''The question is whether we can proceed with the selection without violating the constitution. If not, the best way out is to amend the constitution,'' he said.

Too much power, imo.

Any discussion concerning Mr. Thaksin's resignation is purely hypothetical and as a consequence has the value afforded idle speculation.

Unlike your handy topic about "vampires"? :o:D

I would be honoured if anyone took the time or the effort to award, anything I wrote on Thaivisa, the description of idle speculation.

There is one notable exception to this. However, I live in hope that one day you will grow out of this crush you undoubtedly have for me ( are you keeping count of how many of these damp squids you have set off in my direction recently ?).

How do you find the time?

...Actually that digitally remastered photo of you on your profile page makes you look a lot like an cruiserweight Noel Coward.

Is he the one between Blair and Bush? A sort of "Blush"? Or has he changed the photo since you posted?

:D

It's worrying that you feel that way about the picture... :D

totster :o

I reckon Thailand needs a strongman.

Thaksin for all his faults is doing better than the ageing and corrupt regime of the past.

I mean at least Thailand is getting some kind of Telecoms Infrastructure even if he is making money out of it.

Still way better than any other SE Asian country in my view.

Keep on finding things to do for those 800 generals I say.

...Actually that digitally remastered photo of you on your profile page makes you look a lot like an cruiserweight Noel Coward.

Is he the one between Blair and Bush? A sort of "Blush"? Or has he changed the photo since you posted?

:o

Toxin, as we like to call him, runs Thailand in the same fashion he runs his businesses. Only a small minority of super rich folks have benefited from his policies. Most of the people in Thailand are spending money they don't have, yet Toxin boasts of the "economic improvements" his corrupt regime have made. Personal/business debts are increasing, critics are being silenced (in some cases fired from their jobs or even worse) and threats to public health and safety (bird flu for example) are being covered up. If the majority of Thais understood Toxin for what he really is, they would not have voted for him in the first place. The man has so much power it's virtually impossible to stop him. Thailand's "democracy" is not really a democracy; it's a dictatorship similar to the one Hitler had in WWII time. If I recall, he promised to end the violence in the South when he took office four years ago...not only did he not end it, it's even worse!

A person who cares only for himself and his/her financial gain is not a good candidate for prime minister. If Toxin really cared for the Thai people he wouldn't be running the country this way.

taxexile...I think you're the one who needs a brain scan. I said "similar" not "the same as". The word "similar" does not mean, "the same as." Check the dictionary if you need to. In many ways, Toxin's administration is similar to Hitler's: his accumulation of power to the point no other party can kick him out of office, filling political positions with his own corrupt supporters, his silencing (often permanently) of any critics, his roundup/removal of hill tribe people from the land they've lived on long before his family arrived here, his refusal to take action against the military commander who is doing very little to improve the situation in the South.

Toxin has created a dream world for those who don't know better (most of his supporters). It's like in "The Matrix" where people don't really see what's going on; many in Thailand think the economy is stable (often believing that spending money they can't afford is proof of this), that education is improving and that Toxin (based on his pompous speeches) cares for the country/people and is doing his best to help them.

Then there are those of us who see the real world and know what's happening behind the scenes. There are two kinds of people who support Toxin: those who know he's a crook but don't care because they're getting something out of it and those who don't know better and are getting deeper and deeper into debt (the majority).

Toxin, as we like to call him, runs Thailand in the same fashion he runs his businesses. Only a small minority of super rich folks have benefited from his policies. Most of the people in Thailand are spending money they don't have, yet Toxin boasts of the "economic improvements" his corrupt regime have made. Personal/business debts are increasing, critics are being silenced (in some cases fired from their jobs or even worse) and threats to public health and safety (bird flu for example) are being covered up. If the majority of Thais understood Toxin for what he really is, they would not have voted for him in the first place. The man has so much power it's virtually impossible to stop him. Thailand's "democracy" is not really a democracy; it's a dictatorship similar to the one Hitler had in WWII time. If I recall, he promised to end the violence in the South when he took office four years ago...not only did he not end it, it's even worse!

A person who cares only for himself and his/her financial gain is not a good candidate for prime minister. If Toxin really cared for the Thai people he wouldn't be running the country this way.

geeez...you make Thaksin sound worse than Hitler and more like George Bush :o

similar

adj 1: marked by correspondence or resemblance; "similar food at similar prices"; "problems similar to mine"; "they wore similar coats" 

2: having the same or similar characteristics; "all politicians are alike"; "they looked utterly alike"; "friends are generaly alike in background and taste" [syn: alike(p), like]3: resembling or similar; having the same or some of the same characteristics; often used in combination; "suits of like design"; "a limited circle of like minds"; "members of the cat family have like dispositions"; "as like as two peas in a pod"; "doglike devotion"; "a dreamlike quality" [syn: like]

4: (of words) expressing closely related meanings

5: capable of replacing or changing places with something else; "interchangeable parts" [syn: exchangeable, interchangeable, standardized, standardised]

they sound pretty similar to me. :o

Edited by taxexile

thaiboxer
it's a dictatorship similar to the one Hitler had in WWII time.

i think you have taken too many hits to the head.

you should get a brain scan.

A fairer comparison might be with Mahatir and Lee Kwan Yu, both mentors of Thaksin. By definition, I'd say he's an Autocrat, not a Dictator (yet), but the definitions share similarities, to be sure.

Thaksin has never hidden from his agenda. He has always said that he wanted to model himself and his policies after Mahatir, in particular. The most recent similarity is the new security law being planned, modeled after the NSA in Malaysia, which, under 'National Security', basically legalizes kidnapping and holding people for possibly years (2 years in Malaysia, as I recall) without having to notify anyone, or allowing the person to communicate with anyone outside...

Keep your nose clean around here :o

If Thaksin decided he was through with politics and decided to resign in one months time....what would happen....would things be better or worse...who would take his place?

IMHO this is an impossible thread to discuss here, because there are matters, events and possible actions, the nature of which are way beyond the remit of Thaivisa.

Let it be sufficient to say, Mr. Thaksin is the democratically elected Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand. Under his leadership, the country is politically stable and the economy functions; the legal institutions are respected and many Thais are beginning to experience improvements in their conditions.

There are many improvements that need to be made, but this is the nature of government: the allocation and distribution of resources as it sees fit, given the nature of the demands placed upon it. No-one will ever be 100% satisfied.

Not always sharing the same opinion but in terms of this subject I think you are "spot on".

Hypothetical pondering is a waste of energy and time without any benefit. Why dealing with something that is beyond one's reach may it be in respect of the past or the future? A basic element of Buddhism and hence surely most appropriate when related to Thailand and her leadership.

Cheers,

Richard :o

I think we have drifted off topic. This topic is about what would replace Taksin not just about him. Of course discussing his government is relevent since he is creating (to a great extent) the political landscape which eventually will have to be dealt with after he is gone....he will not live forever. Even though his actions are relevant to the discussion I think that the discussion is focusing too much on what he is doing for the good and bad instead of focusing on what would happen when he is gone.

I'm getting the feeling that no one here (myself included) really has much understanding of politics in Thailand. There has been no discussion of factions within Thai Rak Thai which might struggle for control...who heads up these factions...etc.etc.

It doesn't take much analysis to say you either like or don't like what he's doing...all you have to do is get some news and vent your feelings.

Not always sharing the same opinion but in terms of this subject I think you are "spot on".

Hypothetical pondering is a waste of energy and time without any benefit. Why dealing with something that is beyond one's reach may it be in respect of the past or the future? A basic element of Buddhism and hence surely most appropriate when related to Thailand and her leadership.

Cheers,

Richard :D

Richard, The vast majority of postings here in TV.com are just such hypothetical ponderings (often referred to as 'opinions' by others). In your opinion, it sounds like you feel that since it's not in anyone's interest or benefit, then why bother coming here, right?

I still notice that both the folks in this thread complaining do plenty of such hypothetical pondering themselves in other threads, it seems. :o

I think we have drifted off topic.  This topic is about what would replace Taksin not just about him.  Of course discussing his government is relevent since he is creating (to a great extent) the political landscape which eventually will have to be dealt with after he is gone....he will not live forever.  Even though his actions are relevant to the discussion I think that the discussion is focusing too much on what he is doing for the good and bad instead of focusing on what would happen when he is gone.

I'm getting the feeling that no one here (myself included) really has much understanding of politics in Thailand.  There has been no discussion of factions within Thai Rak Thai which might struggle for control...who heads up these factions...etc.etc. 

It doesn't take much analysis to say you either like or don't like what he's doing...all you have to do is get some news and vent your feelings.

You may not value my opinions, but I did respond directly to the question, including the details which you touched upon. If you wanted a discussion on that topic, you could have easily responded to it... :o

edit.. I just realized my words about Sanoh Thienthong and his TRT faction were written in another thread yesterday... I'm still able to discuss that here with you, if you'd care to. :D

Edited by Ajarn

geeez...you make Thaksin sound worse than Hitler and more like George Bush

Oh come on now...Bush couldn't be worse than Hitler! :o Perhaps as bad but not worse. Same goes for Toxin.

Toxin and Georgie are good buddies. They are very much alike but there are some big differences: Toxin hasn't bombed another country (yet) and Georgie hasn't had 2,500 "drug dealers" killed by the police (yet). Who knows what these two will do in the future. The good news is, Georgie's time in office is going to end when this term is finished. Hopefully somebody who can really do a good job for the US will get in there next term. For Thailand, the prime minister can be re-elected an unlimited number of times. Unless the majority of people in Thailand become more aware of what they really need, we will be stuck with Toxin till he dies.

Edited by Thaiboxer

I think we have drifted off topic.  This topic is about what would replace Taksin not just about him.  Of course discussing his government is relevent since he is creating (to a great extent) the political landscape which eventually will have to be dealt with after he is gone....he will not live forever.  Even though his actions are relevant to the discussion I think that the discussion is focusing too much on what he is doing for the good and bad instead of focusing on what would happen when he is gone.

I'm getting the feeling that no one here (myself included) really has much understanding of politics in Thailand.  There has been no discussion of factions within Thai Rak Thai which might struggle for control...who heads up these factions...etc.etc. 

You may not value my opinions, but I did respond directly to the question, including the details which you touched upon. If you wanted a discussion on that topic, you could have easily responded to it... :o

edit.. I just realized my words about Sanoh Thienthong and his TRT faction were written in another thread yesterday... I'm still able to discuss that here with you, if you'd care to. :D

I'd like to hear your opinion of what Sanoh Thienthon and his TRT faction would do if Tahksin resigned. Also can you give me a link to your previous discussion?

Toxin hasn't bombed another country (yet) and Georgie hasn't had 2,500 "drug dealers" killed by the police (yet).

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in Chonburi and Pattaya, I think you'll find that most would agree that the hits were rather accurate. A good portion of the minor dealers (don't forget that these people are dealers of death themselves) were wiped out.

:o