Green Book/no Green Book

CDNinKS

I have gotten many conflicting answers to this question, so looking to see if any of you can clear this up.

If you have a legally imported bike with all the import duties/taxes paid and you have the receipts to show this, but you do not have a licence plate/green book, what are the implications?

I know that riding an unregistered bike can of course get you a fine if the BIB stop you, but can they confiscate the bike?

I have been told the price now for getting a legally imported bike registered (green book) is 120,000 baht. Can anyone confirm this?

Riding a bike without plates or book can get the bike confiscated. It just takes the BIB to decide he likes and wants it. Depending on how good the paperwork is it will cost up to 80,000 baht up if a large capacity bike. If I were you I would look for a bike with a book. Less hassle in the end. Do a search on TV and read the nightmares of people who have tried to register a bike.

The last time I went to the Hat Yai bike weekend 4 guys lost their Harleys for no books.

Edited by H2oDunc

If the BIB suddenly decides to enforce the rules - as they have in Chiang Mai recently - your bike will get confiscated.

On the other hand, if the BIB takes a sudden liking to your bike, it may get confiscated too. Of if they need money. Or have a bad day. Or you might be lucky and ride for years without trouble. But I have a feeling these times are coming to an end.

It's not worth the time, effort, or worry to ride without green book.

PS: Even in the small village of Pai town, the police decided some years back that all unregistered bikes must be confiscated. There were approximately 300 - 400 unregistered bikes locked up and displayed prominently in front of the police station. It was pay up, or your bike is gone. So if you're thinking "surely they can't suddenly enforce the rules when they haven't in the past, and besides it would be impossible to impound so many bikes" think again. Yes they can, and yes, it's possible.

They are not enforcing this anymore now. But it's only a matter of time until they crack down again.

No green book, don't buy at any price. Nightmare, factual stories out there all end up eventually in disaster. A recent case of a big bike purchase from a reputable? dealer went bad. 380 baht bike with green book guaranteed in a month to be delivered. One year later and 20000 in attorney fees, still no book.Bailed out and sold it for 150 to another donk.

And for Green books there are different versions as well (the hel_l, I don't know the difference). I used to own a bike with a green book but that green book was a kind of faked one as well. That could cause problem when you want to sell the bike and it has to be transferred to another name / province!

OP, your experience of getting many conflicting answers (a common situation regarding anything in Thailand) is due to the difference in how each province interprets and enforces the laws. It is far from uniform. The conflicting answers you see are also a result of changes being made in enforcement over time, usually towards the stricter. Just find the worst case scenario you can and assume that is how it is and you will be safe.

And for Green books there are different versions as well (the hel_l, I don't know the difference). I used to own a bike with a green book but that green book was a kind of faked one as well. That could cause problem when you want to sell the bike and it has to be transferred to another name / province!

I will second that in a big way. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I bought a bike from www.asiatradingonline.com after reading all their promises and checking online reviews of the company. (bike still featured at http://www.asiatradingonline.com/bikes.htm. Blue CBR400RR) and it arrived with book that would not past muster at either the Phuket or Surrithani Land Transport Departments. The engine had been changed out but not documented properly and the book showed it as a 1 cylinder. No amount of money would fix these problems. Plus the bike didn't run. Had all kinds of bodge job electrical work and needed new valves etc etc. It took over 50,000 baht to get it running. When I complained they said that the man I bought it from was an independent seller just advertising on their site. The site was very misleading about this. They since have added the "private seller" notation below the bike. Surprisingly the owner actually sent me 10,000 baht. I ended up selling it for almost half what I bought it for.

Never buy a bike without a green book and always, always, ALWAYS go the the LTD with the seller before paying to ensure a smooth transaction, and make clear any hiccups in transferring the title are the sellers responsibility.

The price depends on the cc, so that answer cannot be given unless you share what kind of bike it is.

Say a Harley 1200 Sportster it will cost 100,000,- Baht, a 1340 cc Softail it cost 120,000,- Baht. A 400 cc it should not be more than 35,000,- and so on. Hence without the information it is not possible to give a correct answer.

Never buy a bike without a green book and always, always, ALWAYS go the the LTD with the seller before paying to ensure a smooth transaction

Sound advice......

Say a Harley 1200 Sportster it will cost 100,000,- Baht, a 1340 cc Softail it cost 120,000,- Baht. A 400 cc it should not be more than 35,000

Yes, the Thai fellow who quoted me 120,000 baht was referring to a big twin Harley, so that makes sense......

I see many big twin Harleys for sale now on another forum for considerably lower prices than before. Apparently a few enterprising fellows are going to Japan and bringing 40 bikes at a time back in parts and reassembling them and selling them off for close to half what other Harleys are listed for. Of course most are not registered.......

I see many big twin Harleys for sale now on another forum for considerably lower prices than before. Apparently a few enterprising fellows are going to Japan and bringing 40 bikes at a time back in parts and reassembling them and selling them off for close to half what other Harleys are listed for. Of course most are not registered.......

These bikes too are shady at best. My understanding is that many of the ones that have been dissembled and rebuilt are either stolen or salvaged bikes that cannot be sold in legally Japan.

No green book, don't buy at any price. Nightmare, factual stories out there all end up eventually in disaster. A recent case of a big bike purchase from a reputable? dealer went bad. 380 baht bike with green book guaranteed in a month to be delivered. One year later and 20000 in attorney fees, still no book.Bailed out and sold it for 150 to another donk.

TP (Teera) ?

Cuz I know lots of guys who can get it done.

TP (Teera) ?

I have heard of guys that had no problems getting a brand new big big bike (ZX1400's, Hyabusas, etc) imported from Japan with Teera in Phuket, but I have heard others that did have problems.

TP (Teera) ?

I have heard of guys that had no problems getting a brand new big big bike (ZX1400's, Hyabusas, etc) imported from Japan with Teera in Phuket, but I have heard others that did have problems.

Can't really say I had no problems registering big bike with Teera. I rememeber the day we spoke about importing big bike from Japan, teera guy (Alex) told me not to involve my wife, I immediately knew something isn't right. After many months of promisses and other bullshit stories, my wife involved local member of parliament to get issue straightened out and it worked. Never again with these guys....

OK, so according to the info on this thread:

Here

as soon as the customs duties/taxes were paid (or I assume proof that they were already paid) then the bike was released to the owner to "get registered". So they are not confiscated for not being registered, only if they are stolen or not legally imported. Of course all subject to change, this is of course Thailand........

ive several thai friends who buy with only an invoice.......they dont seem to have a problem with this ...what do ye think ....????

Are they cops?

no...they are confident enough with the invoice papars

Edited by barrybike

• 1 year later...

I just got a green book for a Yamaha SR 400 in the Provence of Rayong for 30,000 thb, fairly simple not much too it, make sure you have your bill of sale and the proper import paper work. To do the same in Chonburi Provence was going to cost 80,000thb, so it depends on which Provence you are going to register your bike in.

I just got a green book for a Yamaha SR 400 in the Provence of Rayong for 30,000 thb, fairly simple not much too it, make sure you have your bill of sale and the proper import paper work. To do the same in Chonburi Provence was going to cost 80,000thb, so it depends on which Provence you are going to register your bike in.

as the emission test alone is 29.000 baht, I assume your green book is from another (yamaha) bike, and in page 18 it says you have changed engine to 400cc (while your engine actually is 398cc) and possibly also changed color. Visiting DLT you can look at bikes history in computer, and it probably origined as a yamaha 125cc twostroke a decade or two ago.

Clever fixers are able to delete page 18 info, but running framenumber and enginenumber in yammys system will reveal its history. Usually they will not be able to delete first day of registration, a decade or two ago

Its called a recycled book, illegal of course, but will usually work in police road checks but not in Organised Crime Unit check points, going price is 30k baht all over the country

• 3 weeks later...

My previous three bikes had green books (CBR250R, Versys, Ninja 650R) but I just got one without, a Yamaha XJR1300. There is a group of Thai guys who I sometimes ride with, some are police and one quite high up in local government, and very few have green books. They all ride big bikes (mainly all imported from Japan) such as ZX10, CBR1000, Ducati 1098, R1, Triumph 955 and all of them said that, at least where we live and in surrounding areas, it isn't a problem which is why I decided to get one with invoice and 3% excise tax paid, it even has the compulsory insurance.

According to them as long as the invoice is correct (frame, engine number etc match) and the excise tax has been paid it CAN'T be taken by the police or excise department, the very worst that can happen is that I could get a 2-400baht fine for not having tax but that would be a rarity, I've already gone past police while on it and they couldn't have cared less. The bikes available with invoice/excise tax that are similar money to the locally made Kawasaki are far superior, my 2001 XJR rides & handles much better than any of the other three but I'm sure if I lived in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or even Chiang Mai I wouldn't risk it but the risk does depend on where you live.

My previous three bikes had green books (CBR250R, Versys, Ninja 650R) but I just got one without, a Yamaha XJR1300. There is a group of Thai guys who I sometimes ride with, some are police and one quite high up in local government, and very few have green books. They all ride big bikes (mainly all imported from Japan) such as ZX10, CBR1000, Ducati 1098, R1, Triumph 955 and all of them said that, at least where we live and in surrounding areas, it isn't a problem which is why I decided to get one with invoice and 3% excise tax paid, it even has the compulsory insurance.

According to them as long as the invoice is correct (frame, engine number etc match) and the excise tax has been paid it CAN'T be taken by the police or excise department, the very worst that can happen is that I could get a 2-400baht fine for not having tax but that would be a rarity, I've already gone past police while on it and they couldn't have cared less. The bikes available with invoice/excise tax that are similar money to the locally made Kawasaki are far superior, my 2001 XJR rides & handles much better than any of the other three but I'm sure if I lived in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or even Chiang Mai I wouldn't risk it but the risk does depend on where you live.

high so TH will usually not have problems, but Police and DLT can impound any bike used for more than 30 days/3.000km without white plate and book. Excice department can/should not, if duty and excicetax is well documented

Claims it works fine in Isarn are not correct, as I have seen checks just south of Nong Kai bridge to Laos, where they impounded bikes and cars