Sandwiches: Subway On Major 5-year Expansion

SANDWICHES: Subway on major 5-year expansion

BANGKOK: -- Subway, the world’s second-largest fast-food restaurant chain in terms of store numbers, expects to have 140 outlets in Thailand by 2010.

The sandwich provider currently has 12 outlets: seven in Bangkok, two in Pattaya, two in Phuket and one in Chiang Mai.

--The Nation 2005-05-30

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subway deliver...

Well the one in Patong does, just phone em up, tell em which bar your in and in 20minutes your eating a glorious sub from the masters of sandwich makers...

...well they taste like that after a skinfull!

Delivery in Bangkok available also. The Subway at Nana will deliver anywhere in downtown area.

Personally I don't like having them delivered- prefer to watch them make it and specify how much of everything to put on. When they are delivered, they usually are soggy from too much lettuce, mayo, mustard etc.

personally , only life threatening starvation could induce me to eat any of that stuff (apart from mcD fries) .

for a fast sandwich , au bon pain are ok , but as for subways , the sandwiches themselves are bad enough but the unimaginative and cheap decor of the shops and the miserable expressions on the faces of the customers who eat there takes away any good feeling about the place.

its food without joy , no love has ever gone into the making of a subway.

no subway franchisee or employee has ever thought......

"here is a customer who is hungry , i am happy to serve them and rid them of their hunger and send them back out into the world content and happy."

bored looking staff manhandle sorry looking slices of "meat product" and paper thin slices of tomato into uniformly shaped bread portions , after smearing with neon coloured chemicals masqueraqding as sauce , the cash register assaults your ears with discordant beeping and clanging , and the whole toxic shebang is slapped down on a plastic tray for you to take and scurry away to eat.

its poor taste and poor value.

its food for depressives.

america should stick to exporting what it does best , rock'n roll and jeans , and it should keep its food products at home . they dont travel well.

:o

There is a person who's never been to a Subway in Tokyo. So busy at lunch times that they have pre-made sandwiches in boxes for sale outside in order to reduce the queue inside... (Specific example at the Subway in Akasaka in Tokyo between Akasaka-Mitsuke and Akasaka stations.) Admittedly the decor in Tokyo was a lot more upmarket than Subway's I've seen elsewhere.

Personally, when in the UK, I prefer Pret a Manger, partly because there isn't the same wait involved on a busy lunchtime, and partly because they are nicer sandwiches.

Where are the other Subways in Bangkok? I know there's one in Silom, across the road from DHL, and there are two on opposite sides of Sukhumvit next to Nana BTS, but I'm assuming the others aren't on the skytrain. (or at least, don't have signs that you can see from the train...)

I'm just hoping one is a bit closer to me, because unlike the last poster, I like sandwiches, and Subway is a lot better than the piece of ham between two slices of white bread that passes as a sandwich in most of Thailand (including on Thai airways).

As for Pattaya, I've been to the one at Carrefour, but didn't know that there's a second one...

yes taxexile so true,

I always find the bread to be quite stale at subway. au bon pain and deli france are much better (the roast chicken slices are great). Better still, buy some bread from yamaziki and roll your own!

Where are the other Subways in Bangkok

they are spreading like a nasty virus , the latest outbreak is close to villa supermarket on sukhumvit near the emporium.

i love sandwiches too , but i'm afraid it's stretching the imagination a bit to call a subway a good sandwich.

anyway , each to his own.

enjoy your meat product filled chemically garnished thingy at subway. :o

Edited by taxexile

Might have a chance of working if the franchise is owned by the Parent

Is Subway a country licence or 100% Head office.

they are spreading like a nasty virus , the latest outbreak is close to villa supermarket on sukhumvit near the emporium.

i love sandwiches too , but i'm afraid it's stretching the imagination a bit to call a subway a good sandwich.

Depends which culture you come from i suppose.

Subway is probably better then a big mac, but can never compensate for real french bread, pistolets, croissants ect... any local belgium sandwich shop creates better sandwiches. there's one close to every office block.

Probably why there's no subway chain here :D

personally , only life threatening starvation could induce me to eat any of that stuff  (apart from mcD fries) .

for a fast sandwich ,  au bon pain  are ok , but as for subways , the sandwiches themselves are bad enough but the unimaginative and cheap decor of the shops and the miserable expressions on the faces of the customers who eat there takes away any good feeling about the place.

its food without joy , no love has ever gone into the making of a subway.

no subway franchisee or employee has ever thought......

"here is a customer who is hungry , i am happy to serve them and rid them of their hunger and send them back out into the world content  and  happy."

bored looking staff manhandle sorry looking slices of "meat product" and paper thin slices of tomato into uniformly shaped bread portions , after smearing with neon coloured  chemicals masqueraqding as  sauce ,  the cash register assaults your ears with  discordant beeping and clanging , and the whole toxic shebang is slapped down on a plastic tray for you to take and scurry away to eat.

its poor taste and poor value.

its food for depressives.

america should stick to exporting what it does best , rock'n roll and jeans , and it should keep its food products at home . they dont travel well.

:o

You did say Mickey D's Fry's huh ? where is that from ?

Might have a chance of working if the franchise is owned by the Parent

Is Subway a country licence or 100% Head office.

You should be able to buy a franchise here , you can in the U.S

Regarding the export of American food products: I feel America has some of the best food in the world, in America. The food and restaurant culture is amazing in the big cosmopolitan cities. You cannot judge American food culture by the corporate cardboard products produced by McDonalds, Subway, and their ilk. BTW, I believe Au Bon Pain is a chain out of Boston, Mass USA (and better than Subway of course) and McDonalds does have a subchain for burritos called Chipotle which is actually excellent, using premium ingredients. Unfortunately, Chipotle has no current plans to go international, too bad.

Regarding the export of American food products: I feel America has some of the best food in the world, in America. The food and restaurant culture is amazing in the big cosmopolitan cities. You cannot judge American food culture by the corporate cardboard products produced by McDonalds, Subway, and their ilk. BTW, I believe Au Bon Pain is a chain out of Boston, Mass USA (and better than Subway of course) and McDonalds does have a subchain for burritos called Chipotle which is actually excellent, using premium ingredients. Unfortunately, Chipotle has no current plans to go international, too bad.

You must be kidding thaiquila. :o

The best food you're referring to is either Italian, Mexican, French, or asian.

It's not because the headquarters is in boston that French bread is part of the US food culture.

The only food culture the US has is something slapped on a soggy bun. be it a steak or a hamburger or a sausage.

All the rest is imported and copied. Next thing is you gonna call "Pizza" american food :D

No, I am not kidding at all.

America, being a country of immigrants, has absorbed most of the foods of the world, and also has an indiginous cuisine, with many regional variations.

Go to any major city in the US and you can have for a price some of the best food in the world, some of it identifiably American, and a lot of it of course, foreign. I have travelled all over the world and I stand by this claim. The real food situation of American food cannot be judged by the chains. I am not saying everyday Americans eat wonderful food everyday, but the best is available to those who want to pay for it. It really pisses me off when people say American food is McDonalds.

You could not have made this claim 50 years ago, but there has been a revolution in food and wine appreciation in the US.

And BTW, burritos are more American than Mexican.

Edited by Thaiquila

Next thing is you gonna call "Pizza" american food  :o

A piece of useless trivia:-

Actually, the pizza in its present form IS American. I concede that the original idea was Italian.

After world war II, the GIs returning from the Italian campaign created a demand for pizza. The trouble was, was that an Italian pizza was completely topped with cheese, therefore, every pizza, no matter what kind it was, looked exactly the same and did not look as apetizing.

The genius of the Americans was to put the ingredients on TOP of the cheese so that you could see what type of pizza you were eating. This style has caught on all over the world, until it is now considered the norm.

Next thing is you gonna call "Pizza" american food  :o

A piece of useless trivia:-

Actually, the pizza in its present form IS American. I concede that the original idea was Italian.

After world war II, the GIs returning from the Italian campaign created a demand for pizza. The trouble was, was that an Italian pizza was completely topped with cheese, therefore, every pizza, no matter what kind it was, looked exactly the same and did not look as apetizing.

The genius of the Americans was to put the ingredients on TOP of the cheese so that you could see what type of pizza you were eating. This style has caught on all over the world, until it is now considered the norm.

Eeeuh the cheese still goes on top over here , and also in italy. the only diffenrence is that the big crust at the bottom is not from italian origin :D

italian pizza's have a slim hard crust with medium helping of topping. Not the pizza hut style "half of a pie with everything trown on"

The genius of the Americans was to put the ingredients on TOP of the cheese
That's what i mean with american ignorance with food. The italians spent two to three hundred years perfecting their enormous range of pizza toppings.

Along comes ignorant john Doe from Pizzahut inc. and decides this is much more conveniant. let's do it this way...

Talk about raping food recipes :D

The sandwich - the only British food invention that has caught on around the world.

True , but it's 2/4 loafs of bread with something in between cut in a triangle shape.

The subs talked about here are decendant from a french loaf of bread , cut in half and then put lettuce, tomato and xxx in between.

Edited by Darknight

history of pizza:

1889 - Umberto I (1844-1900), King of Italy, and his wife, Queen Margherita di Savoia (1851-1926), in Naples on holiday, called to their palace the most popular of the pizzaioli (pizza chef), Raffaele Esposito, to taste his specialties. He prepared three kinds of pizzas: one with pork fat, cheese, and basil; one with garlic, oil, and tomatoes; and another with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes (in the colors of the Italian flag). The Queen liked the last kind of pizza so much that she sent to the pizzzaiolo a letter to thank him saying, "I assure you that the three kinds of pizza you have prepared were very delicious." Raffaele Esposito dedicated his specialty to the Queen and called it "Pizza Margherita." This pizza set the standard by which today's pizza evolved as well as firmly established Naples as the pizza capitol of the world.

In the late 19th century, pizza was sold in the streets in Naples at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was cut from a large tray that had been cooked in the baker's oven and had a simple topping of mushrooms and anchovies. As pizza became more popular, stalls were set up where the dough was shaped as customers ordered. Various toppings were invented. The stalls soon developed into the pizzeria, an open-air place for people to congregate, eat, drink, and talk.

Pizza migrated to America with the Italians in the latter half of the 19th century. Pizza was introduced to Chicago by a peddler who walked up and down Taylor Street with a metal washtub of pizzas on his head, crying his wares at two cents a chew. This was the traditional way pizza used to be sold in Naples, in copper cylindrical drums with false bottoms that were packed with charcoal from the oven to keep the pizzas hot. The name of the pizzeria was embossed on the drum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20th Century.

1905 - Gennaro Lombardi claims to have opened the first United States Pizzeria in New York City at 53 1/2 Spring Street. Lombardo is now known as America's "Patriaca dela Pizza." It wasn't until the early 1930s that he added tables and chairs and sold spaghetti as well.

1943 - Chicago-style deep-dish pizza (a pizza with a flaky crust that rises an inch or more above the plate and surrounds deep piles of toppings) was created by Ike Sewell at his bar and grill called Pizzeria Uno.

1945 - With the stationing of American soldiers in Italy during World War II (1941-1945) came a growing appreciation of pizza. When the soldiers returned from war, they brought with them a taste for pizza.

1948 - The first commercial pizza-pie mix, "Roman Pizza Mix," was produced in Worcester, Massachusetts by Frank A. Fiorello.

1950s - It wasn't until the 1950s that Americans really started noticing pizza. Celebrities of Italian origin, such as Jerry Colonna, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, and baseball star Joe DiMaggio all devoured pizzas. It is also said that the line from the song by famous singer, Dean Martin; "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that amore" set America singing and eating pizzas.

1957 - Frozen pizzas were introduced and found in local grocery stores. The first was marketed by the Celentano Brothers. Pizza soon became the most popular of all frozen food.

History of submarine Sandwiches:

Submarine Sandwich – It is a king-sized sandwich on an Italian loaf of bread approximately 12 inches long an 3 inches wide, filled with boiled ham, hard salami, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and sometimes flavored with garlic and oregano. It is thought that the original concept of these sandwiches came from the Italians who immigrated to New York in the late 1800s and brought with them their favorite Italian Sandwich recipes.

1910 - The family of Dominic Conti (1874-1954) claims he was the first to use the name, submarine sandwich. Angela Zuccaro, granddaughter of Dominic, related the following information:

My grandfather came to this country circa 1895 from Montella, Italy. Around 1910, he started his grocery store, called Dominic Conti's Grocery Store, on Mill Street in Paterson, New Jersey where he was selling the traditional Italian sandwiches. His sandwiches were made from a recipe he brought with him from Italy which consisted of a long crust roll, filled with cold cuts, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, oil, vinegar, Italian spices, salt, and pepper. The sandwich started with a layer of cheese and ended with a layer was cheese (this was so the bread wouldn’t get soggy).

Both italian Food :o

Good post Darknight.

But the fact is the sub sandwich is just a variation of sandwich.

The first sandwich is British and was invented in the 19th century, as it's name clearly says. Sandwich being a small town on the coast of SE England.

If you claim the subway sandwich as Italian, then todays pizza is American.

A subway sandwich is a variation on a British food and todays pizza is a variation of an Italian food.

Good post Darknight.

But the fact is the sub sandwich is just a variation of sandwich.

The first sandwich is British and was invented in the 19th century, as it's name clearly says. Sandwich being a small town on the coast of SE England.

If you claim the subway sandwich as Italian, then todays pizza is American.

A subway sandwich is a variation on a British food and todays pizza is a variation of an Italian food.

Ok i concede :o

the sandwich in it original form is english :D , just the submarine made by the italian guy was using french style bread for it as normal bread soaked to much to contain so many toppings.

In the end it's all good provided you have tasted of the other varieties also.

Just not in to the 'as G said' Plastic everything , quick as possible , convienieance food.

But if you see my waist you'll grasp that concept :D , born as a bourgondier :D

history of pizza:

1889 - Umberto I (1844-1900), King of Italy, and his wife, Queen Margherita di Savoia (1851-1926), in Naples on holiday, called to their palace the most popular of the pizzaioli (pizza chef), Raffaele Esposito, to taste his specialties. He prepared three kinds of pizzas: one with pork fat, cheese, and basil; one with garlic, oil, and tomatoes; and another with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes (in the colors of the Italian flag). The Queen liked the last kind of pizza so much that she sent to the pizzzaiolo a letter to thank him saying, "I assure you that the three kinds of pizza you have prepared were very delicious." Raffaele Esposito dedicated his specialty to the Queen and called it "Pizza Margherita." This pizza set the standard by which today's pizza evolved as well as firmly established Naples as the pizza capitol of the world.

In the late 19th century, pizza was sold in the streets in Naples at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was cut from a large tray that had been cooked in the baker's oven and had a simple topping of mushrooms and anchovies. As pizza became more popular, stalls were set up where the dough was shaped as customers ordered. Various toppings were invented. The stalls soon developed into the pizzeria, an open-air place for people to congregate, eat, drink, and talk.

Pizza migrated to America with the Italians in the latter half of the 19th century. Pizza was introduced to Chicago by a peddler who walked up and down Taylor Street with a metal washtub of pizzas on his head, crying his wares at two cents a chew. This was the traditional way pizza used to be sold in Naples, in copper cylindrical drums with false bottoms that were packed with charcoal from the oven to keep the pizzas hot. The name of the pizzeria was embossed on the drum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20th Century.

1905 - Gennaro Lombardi claims to have opened the first United States Pizzeria in New York City at 53 1/2 Spring Street. Lombardo is now known as America's "Patriaca dela Pizza." It wasn't until the early 1930s that he added tables and chairs and sold spaghetti as well.

1943 - Chicago-style deep-dish pizza (a pizza with a flaky crust that rises an inch or more above the plate and surrounds deep piles of toppings) was created by Ike Sewell at his bar and grill called Pizzeria Uno.

1945 - With the stationing of American soldiers in Italy during World War II (1941-1945) came a growing appreciation of pizza. When the soldiers returned from war, they brought with them a taste for pizza.

1948 - The first commercial pizza-pie mix, "Roman Pizza Mix," was produced in Worcester, Massachusetts by Frank A. Fiorello.

1950s - It wasn't until the 1950s that Americans really started noticing pizza. Celebrities of Italian origin, such as Jerry Colonna, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, and baseball star Joe DiMaggio all devoured pizzas. It is also said that the line from the song by famous singer, Dean Martin; "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that amore" set America singing and eating pizzas.

1957 - Frozen pizzas were introduced and found in local grocery stores. The first was marketed by the Celentano Brothers. Pizza soon became the most popular of all frozen food.

I know this is off topic but I can't resist. Has anyone out there heard of Morningtown Pizza and Sub. It was a hippie pizza place in Seattle and was once famous for combining the pizza and the sub into an open face sandwich made like a pizza but on a sliced sub loaf instead of a pizza crust. They are no longer in business so this is not an advertisement....just wondering if anyone had heard of them. The pizza sub....two Italian foods combined into one!

Where are the other Subways in Bangkok? I know there's one in Silom, across the road from DHL, and there are two on opposite sides of Sukhumvit next to Nana BTS, but I'm assuming the others aren't on the skytrain. (or at least, don't have signs that you can see from the train...)

I'm just hoping one is a bit closer to me, because unlike the last poster, I like sandwiches, and Subway is a lot better than the piece of ham between two slices of white bread that passes as a sandwich in most of Thailand (including on Thai airways).

As for Pattaya, I've been to the one at Carrefour, but didn't know that there's a second one...

I'm not sure where all of them are- But I know of all the ones you mention plus another in All Seasons Place, Wireless road.

SANDWICHES: Subway on major 5-year expansion

BANGKOK: -- Subway, the world’s second-largest fast-food restaurant chain in terms of store numbers, expects to have 140 outlets in Thailand by 2010.

The sandwich provider currently has 12 outlets: seven in Bangkok, two in Pattaya, two in Phuket and one in Chiang Mai.

--The Nation 2005-05-30

At times when in LOS, I get a craving for a good sub, not Subway sub, but Jerry's super cheese steak. Too bad there are no Jerry's in LOS. :o Subway is not bad though.