State Of Emergency Decree Imposed In Bangkok

george

[

Having spent 2000-2009 working either directly or indirectly as a consultant for 4 ministries, in I can't remember how many governments and through 2 coups, my opinion is that - excluding the periods when Khun Anand was Prime Minister - Abhisit's government has been the most socially progressive and effective in addressing ministerial corruption.

I know a great deal about inner workings of Thaksin's various programs for Issan, less so the North. EVERY program had a spin.

Here's 1,000,000 baht for your village... Thaksin is giving it to you. Of course, the pho-yai baan would never think of taking a sanctioned commission on the disbursements. Of course, the subsequent house-by-house visits by various agents of mobile telephone services, automobile and motorcycle dealerships - not to mention the loan sharks - was merely a coincidence. Of course, the default rate on what was represented as "loans" is astronomical. Loan, what loan? Thaksin gave us this money.

Here's a paved road right through your village. And by the way, you won't have dust blowing into you house every time something passes. Of course, the paved road stops 500 meters on each side of the village, so going anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and in relative comfort is still impossible. Sorry that it doesn't give you better access to markets or schools, but after all, Thaksin gave you a paved road, didn't he? You didn't have to pay for it, did you? Of course, your road will need regular repair from a highly qualified local contractor, say every 6 months or so, and between repairs - well, even if there usually are 10 or 15 one meter wide holes 20 cm. deep between repairs - there is less dust then before, isn't there?

Me, I'm 63 years old so my "future" in Thailand is somewhat limited. But my wife and 3 children are Thai, and I care about their future in this country. I don't want it determined by demagogues of any persuasion, and the reds' leaders are a clear and present danger to rational, benevolent, and progressive governance.

I would just like to say thank you to haroldc for one of the best posts I have ever seen on thaivisa. This is my way of pinning it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DO NOT BLAME THAKSIN. BLAME THAI PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ALL LIKE TO SUPPORT CORRUPTION. Any Thai here reply if you do not bribe the police when you break the traffic law? Small bribe is bribe. All add up, million of US dollar. The root of Thai political problems lay down to Thai people. Thai politicians corrupt because of Thai culture and value. Look at Singapore, Hong Kong, Canada and many more as good example of less corruption because of our culture and value. I am wondering, which Thai PM did not corrupt? Any Thai can answer me this question? From Canada writer
so, when's the baht gonna start falling???

Don't be so selfish. Lives are on the line now. This is no joke. Thank Thaksin for this mess. He was willing to destroy his own country for his money and power greed.

I'm a couple of pages behind, but I have to say you've struck on the central argument here. These criminals would get 0% traction were it not for the underlying Thai culture. The latest illls suggest as much as 82% of Thai people think corruption is a very normal way to live one's life. It's time to bury Sri Thanonchai if there's to be any hope for Thailand. He's a heroic figure here you know:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=179

Attacking parliament and declaring war on the government earns you the right to be called insurgents. Frustrated or not, they have gone too far.

Hmmmm if I recall the yellows camped out in Parliament for quite a long stretch of time (months) and proceeded to trash it . I think Reds were there for 20min and left. :)

stop with your obsession with the yellows, it's time to get real now so don't talk colours but contribute something that will benefit all of us!

Ignore history and you are bound to repeat it. :D

Attacking parliament and declaring war on the government earns you the right to be called insurgents. Frustrated or not, they have gone too far.

Hmmmm if I recall the yellows camped out in Parliament for quite a long stretch of time (months) and proceeded to trash it . I think Reds were there for 20min and left. :)

stop with your obsession with the yellows, it's time to get real now so don't talk colours but contribute something that will benefit all of us!

thanks fo reminding me but blaming the yellows in the past does not make the reds right. try not to see the colours but what they stands for.

Edited by LuckyFive8888

Have a rest uncle.............

maybe a gin and tonic will ease the heat.

ph

I have asked this question over and over agian and still get no response. The people who demand a ne free election if they belive it is true should answer me.Their silence is deafning.

What, according to you is a free and fair elction. To me it is where politicians from all parties can go to all parts of the country and freely campaign for votes. By this I mean having no fear for their lives. No fears that their potential voters are not going to be intimidated by locals when the politicians leave.

I also think that free and fair elections mean that people choose thier bot according to who they think will do the best for the country and themselves as well.This is not votebuying this is politics as seen in countries all around the world.

What is not free and fair is parties,of all descriptions, offering money for votes.

This is what i call free and fair elections.

I have seen many people on here asking for free and fair elections but noone wants to answer my posts.

As I see it there can be no free and fair elections while there is so much hatred. Think Rak Chaing mai 51.

I've yet to see anybody who wants elections answering my posts.

You tell me what you think is afree and fair election and can it be held now?

I'm listening

Of course you are right. Nothing to add!

BTW nice pics Rainman. :)
Except they are not 'his'.

Regards

That's not important to our brit. What appears to be important ti him is that someone else does his talking for him if there's anything substantive to say.. If someone doesn't agree with him he give's an implied threat of physical violence, with the hope that other TV's will remind evryone how big he is. He would appear to be an idiot, from his postings, but I'm hoping I've misjudged him.

edit: Regards simp

Edited by lannarebirth

Thailand isn't just Bangkok, is it? Even though that's the current government's mentality.

The truth is they cannot buy votes in Bangkok, do you know why?

At the proportional ballot the PPP did surprising good in the greater Bangkok area. Well above what they got nationwide. If i remember well they got 41 or 42 %.

Elections should not be just about to be the winner and take it as a valid ticket to screw everybody else and waste the countries resources.

The most popular policies aren't always the best or wise policies. Wise policies can be unpopular policies, because the success of it comes only in the long run.

Thailand needs a reform of the selection process for the member of the parliament. One day in every 4/5 years to cast a vote isn't enough. Liars hijacked the system and abuse their power and hand out false promises and free candies to the electorate to get re-elected. The so called fight against corruption or class war are just bully attacks at the political opponent. At the wrongdoings of the own side politicans turn a blind eye. :)

The selection of the MP have to be done more carefully. It is time for New Politics.

Starting to agree with you more and more.

keep with it

phil

The redshirt faction led by Khun Arisaman, made a big mistake by storming Parliament! It gave the government the impetus for the emergency decree and the right to use force against the redshirts.

Edited by mauiguy90

Riot police - drag them away. They resist and put the police in danger then the club comes out. Not very hard - first few people who get clubbed will deter others from doing so. If you know their is no consequence to what you do then this just emboldens these lot.

I wonder who posted this :)

Why not work with the government and have national election within 90 days? What's so wrong about that? Is Thaksin dying and cannot wait for 90 days?

Abhisit won't agree to anything less than 9 months for the dissolution of the house, and then another few months for an election. He already said that over and over. The reason is that he needs to change the Constitution in his favor before the election, and also complete the reshuffles at the end of the year, to ensure that the Democrats have the (unfair) advantage - or otherwise, as he clearly knows, the Democrats don't have a chance of winning the next election.

Rainman, There you go with that truth stuff again :D On a serious note your post is spot on, this has been the tactic and modus operandi of the yellow shirts ever since the coup, however no matter how they try and change the laws to favor their cause and stuff the courts they just don't get it, the people of Thailand are not behind them :)

Dissolve parliament and call for elections in 6months. (more than enough time) BTW - dissolving parliament is the key to ending the protest!

You agreed to 9 months before, now it's 6 months. You want to dissolve parliament and then have elections in 6 months, now. Excuse me, dolt, but who did you suppose might run the government in the meantime?

I have asked this question over and over agian and still get no response. The people who demand a ne free election if they belive it is true should answer me.Their silence is deafning.

What, according to you is a free and fair elction. To me it is where politicians from all parties can go to all parts of the country and freely campaign for votes. By this I mean having no fear for their lives. No fears that their potential voters are not going to be intimidated by locals when the politicians leave.

I also think that free and fair elections mean that people choose thier bot according to who they think will do the best for the country and themselves as well.This is not votebuying this is politics as seen in countries all around the world.

What is not free and fair is parties,of all descriptions, offering money for votes.

I have seen many people on here asking for free and fair elections but noone wants to answer my posts.

As I see it there can be no free and fair elections while there is so much hatred. Think Rak Chaing mai 51.

I'm listening

I think this is a big issue, but no red support seems to like to answer it.

Just as an update, there are about 1,000 red-shirters outside Chiang Mai city hall right now (1:50 am local). Sources are my missus, who is there, and Chiang Mai Mail person who posted on the local forum.

Thank you for the update. Posts like these are really appreciated :)

Just as an update, there are about 1,000 red-shirters outside Chiang Mai city hall right now (1:50 am local). Sources are my missus, who is there, and Chiang Mai Mail person who posted on the local forum.

Oh, still awake. Maybe you can answer what your opinion is about negotiations?

I'm listening

'Red' country will not allow opposing polititians nor opposing views. No Thai govt. will allow Jimmy Carter and foreign poll watchers to monitor elections. No way for free and fair elections from MY viewpoint.

I'm listening

'Red' country will not allow opposing polititians nor opposing views. No Thai govt. will allow Jimmy Carter and foreign poll watchers to monitor elections. No way for free and fair elections from MY viewpoint.

My point exactly. No way there can be free and fair elections at the moment

I don't know where negotiations would lead at this point, if anywhere. Both sides are set on their own schedules and won't move. The red shirts want a house dissolution now (though some sources have said that 30 days would be acceptable), while the Abhisit government won't even consider anything below 9 months for a house dissolution, even longer for then elections to be held, the reason being that they want to change the Constitution in their favor and make some key reshuffling before the end of the year.

I don't know where negotiations would lead at this point, if anywhere. Both sides are set on their own schedules and won't move. The red shirts want a house dissolution now (though some sources have said that 30 days would be acceptable), while the Abhisit government won't even consider anything below 9 months for a house dissolution, even longer for then elections to be held, the reason being that they want to change the Constitution in their favor and make some key reshuffling before the end of the year.

How do you know this? If a part offers more talk they always have something to discuss. The trouth is that your red friends closed the doors after a sms from someone!

It wouldn't surprise me to see this type of protest happening all over Thailand over the next few days, the support for the red shirts and new elections is quite overwhelming around the country, despite the posts by the yellow propogandists to the contrary here :D

Yes, Thaksin has ordered the attacks on the provincial city halls, so yes, you can expect his paid for true believers to follow their master's bidding. Some democratic movement this. More like Nazi brown shirts at this point.

so, when's the baht gonna start falling???

Don't be so selfish. Lives are on the line now. This is no joke. Thank Thaksin for this mess. He was willing to destroy his own country for his money and power greed.

Exactly.

But really, when is the Baht gonna fall? Bullet proofing the Baht is expensive and there is only so much salt on the bread. The dollar is moving forward against all the majors, and still going back against the Baht. And I really can't understand why this hasn't stalled yet. Oh and, pom mai bpen seppo. I just get paid in dollas...

Personally, I do not think that Aphisit will do that, maybe Thaksin will, but will all the people watching his every steps it will just create chaos rigging the constitution. Why not give them a chance for the 9 months proposal? What could be wrong with that? The reds choose to shed blood by not accepting the 9 months period but for what? Just Thaksin's say so? Having a scrambled egg brains is not the solution for this problem.

I really what to know the reasoning behind this.