Believe all banks require a work permit to open a current (checking) account. Checks are not used here by most people. You can have a debit type card linked to a passbook savings account.

The last time I checked, Citibank required a minimum balance of 100k (to be maintained at all times). Provided you could fulfil that requirement, you could apply.

However, Thai banks tend to want to see a WP.

So, I think your best bet would be to try Citibank, HSBC, or SCNB. If you bank with one of these offshore, and can ask your offshore bank to "introduce" you in Thailand, all the better.

SM :o

Thanks guys, I have two Thai Bank accounts, TMB & SCB, they both have visa electron cards which can't be used to buy products online, only good for ATM. It must be a debit or credit card and I think the only way to get a debit card in Thailand is if you have a checking account. I will keep bashing my head against the wall :o

Thanks guys, I have two Thai Bank accounts, TMB & SCB, they both have visa electron cards which can't be used to buy products online, only good for ATM. It must be a debit or credit card and I think the only way to get a debit card in Thailand is if you have a checking account. I will keep bashing my head against the wall :o

I have a checking account for my company and a savings account for myself in SCB. They offered me their debit card (under Mastercard) for my savings account.

I guess they wouldn't have done it if I didn't have the company's checking account as well (for which I needed to present my WP).

I have a checking account for my company and a savings account for myself in SCB. They offered me their debit card (under Mastercard) for my savings account.

I guess they wouldn't have done it if I didn't have the company's checking account as well (for which I needed to present my WP).

I deal with Bangkok Bank (in Pattaya). When I opened my savings account I received a debit card.

On my next trip I asked about a credit card and internet access. All they asked for was proof of a 1 year visa. No mention of a work permit. It could be that as I didn't have the visa, they never bothered asking about a work permit.

Then again, you can have a 1 year visa without having to have a WP, so maybe it isn't a requirement. Might just depend on what your balance and history is like.

I have used my "Visa Electron" (issued by Kasikornbank) to pay hotel bills in both Thailand and England. However, it has been refused as payment in a couple of shops. I guess it depends upon the knowledge (or lack) of the particular outlet or employee.

• 1 month later...

I have a cheque account (complete with cheque book) issued by the Bangkok Bank at Abdulrahim Place on Rama 4. No problems. They just wanted to see a work permit and the cheque book was issued next day. They also gave me visa electron card attached to the account.

They offered a credit card, but I decided to get one from HSBC instead.