Thai Authorities Shut Down Red-Shirts Protesters Tv Station

webfact

When the reds get in, they will need to immediatey start a program of national reconcilliation. Given the players involved, I can't see that happening.
I have seen no sign whatsoever of any reconciliation sentiment from the red side.

A few months ago, Thaksin offered a power-sharing deal to Abhisit. However, Abhisit quickly declined it.

That's an insulting joke coming from a criminal fugitive, and you know it.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

During tonight's press conference Abhisit was flanked by Anupong, Prawit, and Suthep. This speaks volumes about the state of the relationship between the government and the military.

It appears that this afternoon was a simple cock-up. My guess is a combination of inept leadership on the ground, poor planning, and soldiers and police who cannot help but be reluctant to fight their own people. Thai on Thai is a very ugly business.

Well any policing or national guard force is asked occasioally to do the same.

Physically confront and control their fellow citizens.

Either you do your duty, or you need to leave the service, end of story.

I think there are som laugh among the military in Burma and Cambodia right now about the famious thai army.

During tonight's press conference Abhisit was flanked by Anupong, Prawit, and Suthep. This speaks volumes about the state of the relationship between the government and the military.

It appears that this afternoon was a simple cock-up. My guess is a combination of inept leadership on the ground, poor planning, and soldiers and police who cannot help but be reluctant to fight their own people. Thai on Thai is a very ugly business.

I understand what you are saying. Certainly we would expect our security personnel to do their duty. But this is something different.

Many saying it's over. It's complicated, but not over for Abhisit. Losing some face and not having full control of your troops is embarassing, but it's not the end of the game. It appears that Abhisit's side has lost control of an intersection and a TV station. Not the end. He could bring in competent brass (to replace incompetents), and take back control. The fat lady hasn't yet sung, though Thaksin is probably singing a happy tune right now.

And would those incompetents be sent to inactive posts perhaps ?

Contrary to what the Nation editor is spouting out of his backside, the signal from People Channel is very clear tonight. The signal from Saudi Arabia was less clear, but still perfectly audible. The Nation editor must have a really poor Internet connection.

TV Signal was very clear indeed, until the part when Thaksin was supposed to come on, the signal was suddenly gone. What a disappointment.

Contrary to what the Nation editor is spouting out of his backside, the signal from People Channel is very clear tonight. The signal from Saudi Arabia was less clear, but still perfectly audible. The Nation editor must have a really poor Internet connection.

TV Signal was very clear indeed, until the part when Thaksin was supposed to come on, the signal was suddenly gone. What a disappointment.

:)

Edited by Sunderland

Many saying it's over. It's complicated, but not over for Abhisit. Losing some face and not having full control of your troops is embarassing, but it's not the end of the game. It appears that Abhisit's side has lost control of an intersection and a TV station. Not the end. He could bring in competent brass (to replace incompetents), and take back control. The fat lady hasn't yet sung, though Thaksin is probably singing a happy tune right now.

And would those incompetents be sent to inactive posts perhaps ?

Who would make them go inactive posts? Remember the military decides what it will or won't do. People keep thinking this is the same as a military in a western country which it is not.

just watched an interview of Thaksin with a pretty good resolution. It seems as if he's completly shaved and wearing a wick. This may explain his new hairline? I don't think that this is a result of chemo therapy, but I think he travels bald.

Hmm, don't even Muslim suicide commandos shave completely before an attack?

Then there's a wordtreade center in Bkk too. :):D:D

1. RT @rebel_bay: scolding, well, The Nation//oh oh! Thaksin follow yr tweets too?>>>I mean Nation as a whole. We go back a long way, u knw. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck
  2. the rest of Thaksin's five-minute phone-in was spent on scolding, well, The Nation. 8 minutes ago via TweetDeck
  3. As for Thaksin, he said he wasn't shocked by chemotherapy, but he was shocked by media propaganda.

:D

In my democratic country, we do not ask to Army to interfere in internal affairs, this is the issue of the "Compagnies Republicaine de Securite", Special Anti Riot Forces, similar to Police.

Army is a symbol of UNITY of a country against EXTERNAL threats. This is a MAJOR mistake to confuse everything, and destroy any argument against Anti Democratic Military coups. ARMY has to stay in its barracks in the present situation, it must be the affair of the POLICE only.

Even in our Legion Etrangere, there is a rule of not engaging one soldier against his fellow citizen of his origin country.

I do not accept your position which is a door open to all anti-democratic operations.

Fair play to da red shirts for getting the tv channel back on.

They have loads of testicular fortitude, those pesky redshirts.

How long will it stay on I would expect less than 24 hrs '

Do you mean the TV channel or the testicular fortitude ?

During tonight's press conference Abhisit was flanked by Anupong, Prawit, and Suthep.

This speaks volumes about the state of the relationship between the government and the military.

In my democratic country, we do not ask to Army to interfere in internal affairs, this is the issue of the "Compagnies Republicaine de Securite", Special Anti Riot Forces, similar to Police.

Army is a symbol of UNITY of a country against EXTERNAL threats. This is a MAJOR mistake to confuse everything, and destroy any argument against Anti Democratic Military coups. ARMY has to stay in its barracks in the present situation, it must be the affair of the POLICE only.

Even in our Legion Etrangere, there is a rule of not engaging one soldier against his fellow citizen of his origin country.

I do not accept your position which is a door open to all anti-democratic operations.

=

I lived in your country for 10 years.

I know well the "Compagnies Republicaine de Securite", Special Anti Riot Forces, similar to Police.

Travaillers du Force Majeur.

I have seen them in action first hand, even got saved, with the wife by 3 CRS guys in '95 during a Saint-Denis ruckus.

And also in Bobigny around '99. Wrong place wrong time yet again. And saw Montpellier go a bit fou too,

The USA has special riot forces also, but sometimes the National Guard

and Army themselves send in THEIR specially trained units if the situation is too big,

or too many locations in 'emergency situations'.

Certainment the best trained are best choisier...

My point was these guys are still French citoyen contre French citoyen,,

unless adding Algerian to French makes a difference... for some it does.

On topic I think Abhisit was properly backed up this evening.

I think the comander on the ground this afternoon was a cockup.

I am watching it too. Been watching it since about 8:30 pm.

PM me if you want a link. It's not a proxy.

I just received an SMS news alert from that newspaper that we aren't supposed to mention here:

"Army troops have reoccupied the Thaicom office at Lat Loom Kaew and have managed to black out the red shirts' People's Channel TV broadcast again.

If you shall depand on the police you must have a force you can trust and are competent to deal with difficult situations. Thai police was a big laugh att Songkran last year and same now. Thats why to military has to step in, but i looks like they been a laughstock today too.

PM me if you want a link. It's not a proxy.

I just received an SMS news alert from that newspaper that we aren't supposed to mention here:

"Army troops have reoccupied the Thaicom office at Lat Loom Kaew and have managed to black out the red shirts' People's Channel TV broadcast again.

I was going to try to see if the story was on The Nation site, but it doesn't load for me. The other newspaper does, and I have a decent high speed connection.

Anyone else having problems loading Nation?

It surely must be the end of the day for the "prettyboy puppet" Abhisit. Nobody takes the slightest notice of him or his decrees.

Nah, I was watching Abhisit on TV just now too. Would like to know what both sides are saying. :)