Can A Falang Get A Thai Credit Card?

So sorry to jump in on this post, but it is along the same lines, ref credit; also can a Farang apply for a bank loan in Thailand, if they have a Thai bank account? Also does the work permit apply ref the credit card if already have a bank account. Apologies for 'hijacking' the post but thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

So sorry to jump in on this post, but it is along the same lines, ref credit; also can a Farang apply for a bank loan in Thailand, if they have a Thai bank account? Also does the work permit apply ref the credit card if already have a bank account. Apologies for 'hijacking' the post but thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Farangs and bank loans,Asumming here Mortage here...highly unlikely...can you co-sign for a Thai national..at certain banks... yes...Car loans with finance companies...yes....personal loans from a Thai bank..highly unlikely

Having a bank account with or without a WP does not mean you will get a C/C

Thx for that Soutpeel. It was not for car finance, I was looking at the future prospects of expanding the business, (both car and business funded privately by myself), I have collateral and substantial money in the Thai account and was wondering about the opportunities of borrowing from the Thai banks as opposed to releasing more money from the UK.

For those of you not working, you can get a credit card with many banks by placing a surety of around 150% of the credit limit with them. A friend of mine did this as he wanted a proper visa card rather than the silly things they give you with a standard bank account.

Sure, this then becomes a convaluted debit card rather than a credit facility, but if access to a visa/ mastercard without the credit is the goal then this serves a purpose.

For those of you not working, you can get a credit card with many banks by placing a surety of around 150% of the credit limit with them. A friend of mine did this as he wanted a proper visa card rather than the silly things they give you with a standard bank account.

Sure, this then becomes a convaluted debit card rather than a credit facility, but if access to a visa/ mastercard without the credit is the goal then this serves a purpose.

Not really a credit card then....unless of course after a certain period of time the surety aspect drops away....as you have stated this is basically a debit card going this route

Not really a credit card then....unless of course after a certain period of time the surety aspect drops away....as you have stated this is basically a debit card going this route

True, but one you can use online and in foreign countries, unlike the normal debit cards they issue with your bank account - that was the sole purpose.

A secured credit card is a credit card as far as processing is concerned, the merchant system doesn't know about the deposit.

However, if the requirement is web purchasing, then the Kasikorn virtual card works very well, even being linked to a PayPal account if so desired.

Regards

A secured credit card is a credit card as far as processing is concerned, the merchant system doesn't know about the deposit.

However, if the requirement is web purchasing, then the Kasikorn virtual card works very well, even being linked to a PayPal account if so desired.

Regards

I don't meet the requirements for a credit card in Thailand because I don't have a work permit (I work overseas).

I am the second card holder on two of my wifes cards.

Ive got an unsecured CC with Kbank, was relatively easy to obtain how ever I do have a WP and have been with Kbank for a few years.

I have never had a WP, and have creditcard with Bank of Ayudhya. 80k baht security depost gives gold card with 64k creditlimit

Application was 10 minutes, and card arrived my home 2 weeks later by EMS

Edited by katabeachbum

Not only the 150% security deposit but also a set of credit rules that place the card holder at serious risk of being dumped with the bill for any fraudulent transactions.

You'd have to be brain dead to sign for that deal.

I have 3 platinum credit cards without having to leave any security, kasikorn gave me one with only a recently opened account with them after holding wp one month, I also got amex and scb beyond platinum a few months later, all without paying anything upfront. I also have car loan now thanachart.

If you get one card and make the payments on time etc you get a 'normal' rating on the credit system here so more banks open up to you.

Ive got an unsecured CC with Kbank, was relatively easy to obtain how ever I do have a WP and have been with Kbank for a few years.

I have never had a WP, and have creditcard with Bank of Ayudhya. 80k baht security depost gives gold card with 64k creditlimit

Application was 10 minutes, and card arrived my home 2 weeks later by EMS

Well I have a WP and an unsecured card with a 300k limit, they came to me to fill out the application and the card arrived shortly there after, seems my E-Wang is bigger than yours :)

Yes you can get a credit card and yes you can get a bank loan. For a credit card you must have the monthly income requirement, a visa and work permit that have been consecutively active for 3 years and the same employer for 3 consecutive years. As far as the bank loans go in most cases for a house you need 50% down and it also depends on your age the older you are the more down money you need, I am also assuming you are putting a Thai national on the deed as the owner of the land. A car lone requires 20% down on the average Japanese car or truck and all of the above qualifications.

Yes you can get a credit card and yes you can get a bank loan. For a credit card you must have the monthly income requirement, a visa and work permit that have been consecutively active for 3 years and the same employer for 3 consecutive years. As far as the bank loans go in most cases for a house you need 50% down and it also depends on your age the older you are the more down money you need, I am also assuming you are putting a Thai national on the deed as the owner of the land. A car lone requires 20% down on the average Japanese car or truck and all of the above qualifications.

I am retired here in Thailand have my pension from USA and retirement visa will that suffice?? Thanks for all the help

Youdrankwhat? I'm sure last night must have been a good one :)

Reason for edit: Too much inaccuracy to bother correcting :D Yes you can get a credit card and a loan. Mostly you'll need to be able to show income, a visa (or other right to stay here) and a WP... after that... easier to just have another drink :D

Edited by fletchsmile

fletchsmile, I missed the joke? The requirements are what I was personally required to do for my credit cards and what I was told for a home loan. I don't understand why you have to be an ass, I didn't make anything up nor did I say anything unreal or stupid, instead of being a complete moron why don't you just ask what bank and where you can get the information? What I have stated is on the counter at Krung Thai bank which is where I got my visa and master card. If you have a question or don't understand something just ask, if you don't have anything constructive to say just keep your mouth shout it makes you look like a jerk when you don't. And I didn't edit anything you did.

robbie22 I'm pretty sure you can't get a loan and I don't think you can get a credit card unless you make a secured deposit on it but I'm not sure. If you got to Krung Thai bank they seem to have the easiest standards, I think the minimum monthly income was 15,000 THB, I had to show and provide copies of my passport, work permit and 3 years of tax documents from city hall as well as my Thai tax ID card.

fletchsmile, I missed the joke? The requirements are what I was personally required to do for my credit cards and what I was told for a home loan. I don't understand why you have to be an ass, I didn't make anything up nor did I say anything unreal or stupid, instead of being a complete moron why don't you just ask what bank and where you can get the information? What I have stated is on the counter at Krung Thai bank which is where I got my visa and master card. If you have a question or don't understand something just ask, if you don't have anything constructive to say just keep your mouth shout it makes you look like a jerk when you don't. And I didn't edit anything you did.

robbie22 I'm pretty sure you can't get a loan and I don't think you can get a credit card unless you make a secured deposit on it but I'm not sure. If you got to Krung Thai bank they seem to have the easiest standards, I think the minimum monthly income was 15,000 THB, I had to show and provide copies of my passport, work permit and 3 years of tax documents from city hall as well as my Thai tax ID card.

Idrankwhat

Your post didn't at all state that it was what you personally did. It was written as what OP could do and written as generic advice. You need this, you should do that. etc. What you quoted are also not the norms for individuals who are employed, and without a WP it's very unlikely he'd get much in the way of credit facilities onshore. So it came across as misleading.

Anyway apologies if it caused offence... :)

For info to OP, if he has a WP, decent job, and 6 months income statements as an employee he'll be on the way for a credit card. 15k is the normal income level for Thais. For foreigners think 5 times that minimum as a norm. Property loan by onshore bank for foreigner without a Thai spouse forget it in 99% of cases, especially someone new to Thailand.

Edited by fletchsmile

Yes is the simple answer but depends on many factors

:)

Yes, it depends on many aspects, retired farangs must first of all have a Thai bank account with a solid balance, the requested amount depends of course on one's financial position and the annual/monthly income

if those factors are acceptable to the bank then no problem, but it is not easy, I know many farangs that tried several times but were refused all the time.

I have two credits cards (VISA) a Platinum card for myself, and a Gold card for my Thai wife) I was asked by the bank to open an additional account (a fixed account with monthly interest) however, 200K. from the total balance must be kept in there all the time and cannot be removed until the cards are cancelled, this serves the bank as a guarantee for the outstanding monthly amount.

I have 3 platinum credit cards without having to leave any security, kasikorn gave me one with only a recently opened account with them after holding wp one month, I also got amex and scb beyond platinum a few months later, all without paying anything upfront. I also have car loan now thanachart.

If you get one card and make the payments on time etc you get a 'normal' rating on the credit system here so more banks open up to you.

To have three credit cards seems to indicate that the banks provide a low credit limit, I have one Platinum credit card with a high monthly credit limit, thus in terms of available credit one card is more enough, also in terms of security the more credit cards one has, to more one is exposed to fraudulant activities.

Hi All;

I have been here a long time now and I have run across this problem before. Without a work permit there are only a few banks that will help you with a credit card that I have found. First, you need a valid long term visa, that helps as they know you are serious, also if you have a rental agreement or have a condo they also know you'll be around for a bit. The banks that I have found helpful are SCB (beyond platinum) and American Express, they have both been very good. I originally tried to work with Bank of Ayuthya (spelling I know :) ) but even though they are 30% owned by GE Capital, they would not give me one as I did not have 1 year working for the same company, I switched jobs in the middle of the year and that was not good for them, even with an AMEX card. Bangkok Bank is no good, they have had too many bad debts so they have gone to the secure card approach. I like Standard Chartered bank very much but they are only good if you have a work permit but they give very high credit limits. I read someone here used Thanachart, this is a new bank and they have very agressive at getting customers, I have heard good things with them.

Also, like many things here in Thailand if you have a good friend at a bank or a good relationship they can override most rules, who you know works well in Thailand :D

Hope this helps.

CHS

To have three credit cards seems to indicate that the banks provide a low credit limit, I have one Platinum credit card with a high monthly credit limit, thus in terms of available credit one card is more enough, also in terms of security the more credit cards one has, to more one is exposed to fraudulant activities.

2 of these cards send sms when used so I would know if they are being used, the reason I have 3 is 1 visa, 1 master, 1 amex, two have limits of 100k and the other 155k, this is enough for me thanks.

2 of these cards send sms when used so I would know if they are being used, the reason I have 3 is 1 visa, 1 master, 1 amex, two have limits of 100k and the other 155k, this is enough for me thanks.

You ended your above posting with the remark "thanks" ... indicative of the fact that you felt belittled, thus one has to ask the question why, since we were debating technical & operational bank matters, not personal matters.

we have bangkok bank cards, Visa and mastercard, only requirement was a 100% surety deposit.

ie: the limit is 100,000- baht and they hold 100,000-in savings or fixed depsoit till the card is voided/cancelled.

Krungsi, will give only 80% of the fixed deposit as a card limit,

other bankswant more than 100% surety... a nonsense when all transactions are now online approval..