Visa Advice Please.

hi,

i need to find out what my options are for staying here in thailand (chiang mai).

i've been here for the past 10 months using double entry 60-day tourist visas issued at laos.

my current one runs out in may and i'm thinking of going back and trying for another one but i'm worried they may say no because i've had 2 already and also they may have changed their policy since march ?

my thai daughter is being born early june.

thanks for looking,

chris

u.k

age 39

If you are on the birth certificate you can get a non-O visa based on you aking care of your child. An extension of stay can be get from immigration if you are the legal father and either have an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in the bank for 2 months. You are the legal fathe if you are married to the mother OR if you go to court to be recognised as the legal father.

In Kuala Lumpur you would be able to get a multiple non-O, but need to show 100,000 in the bank. Elsewhere in Asia you would only get a single non-O.

I am not at all sure that KL will issue for a father - marriage yes but the last report I read they will only issue single entry for parent of Thai child.

But that could be a case by case decision.

Firstly, make absolutely, 100%, sure that you are the person who registers the baby at the City Hall or amphur or wherever it is that the registration takes place. That actually means you doing all the paperwork. Your name has to appear twice on the birth certificate, once as the father and once as the person registering the birth. Do not on any account let anyone else register the birth and that includes kind offers of help from the hospital or friends. If you are unsure, check but this will save you all manner of problems later and potentially years of your life and millions of baht if you have to go to court to sort it out afterwards.

Now you've cleared that up. You can get the extension of stay based upon support of a child. The law says you must have Bt400,000 in a Thai account for 2 or 3 months before making your application at immigration. The minimum age for this of 50 years old was removed in 2008 and now anyone of any age can use this dispensation. Be prepared that in Pattaya, they want to see Bt400,000 and they even have Barry Kenyon dancing to their tune, despite the fact that the law says Bt400,000. He will be retiring in June so things may improve. Just be forewarned that Bt400,000 may not be enough.

You will need the mother and child with you. It is best to telephone in advance and ask them what they would like to see. Some require more than others. If you don't have a lease in your name and are residing at the mother's house, then you will need to go to the immigration office relevant to her house. I am allowed this dispensation but Pattaya argued that because we were staying in our other house in Buriram, I should make the application at Korat. Just double and triple check everything and do not leave it until the last minute. Remember also that if you want to go outside Thailand, you will need a re-entry permit. I believe you can get one at the same time as you apply for your extension.

hi all,

thank you for helping,

we are not married,

sounds like i'm better off registering the birth myself if possible - i don't understand how the family name works my girlfriend says that there will be 2 names or something ? one thai and one english ??

sounds like i have to wait until birth certificate comes through first then sort visa later ? i can goto laos and hope for a third tourist visa if not i'll have to do visa runs every 2 weeks.

i may try to ask for a special 365 day extension to tourist visa but i'm not sure what they need to hear to get one.

thanks again enjoy the holidays,

chris

:)

Rememner on the birth certificate the important part is:

1. You are the one recorded as registering the birth of the child and

2. You are listed on the birth certificate as the father

The above is important because by Thai law the father, even if not Thai, has certain rights as the father. (also certain responsibilities, by the way).

Since you're not married, after the birth of the child, get legally married to the woman. (Assuming she agrees, of course).

Once your married, you can apply for an extension to your visa by reason of marriage to a Thai.

You will need either 400,000 baht in a Thai bank (for at least 2 months at the time you apply) or the proof of at least 40,000 Baht a month income.

If you can do one of those two, you can get a visa extension to live with your Thai wife in Thailand. The immigration may want to see photos of you and your wife in your house where you live. It depends on the immigration office...some are stricter than others. Some may ask you and your wife some rather detailed questions about your sex lives. They will let you know what the requirements (as they interpret them) that you need to prove to them.

Any extension of visa, one for marriage to a Thai included, is always at the discretion of the immigration. Basically, if they like you, you wil get it. But they will never actually admit that. Just have all the documents they need or want, and it will br granted. It doesn't pay for you to get frustrated if you think they are being unreasonabale. Remember, they will always make the final decision anyhow, so don't get angry at them. If you do you'll just shoot yourself in the foot. No point to it.

:D

P.S. I almost forgot. Register the birth of the child with your countries embessy...depending oin the country it could affect the citizenship of the child later on...and may also mean the child is your legal dependent for tax purposes.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

"Be prepared that in Pattaya, they want to see Bt400,000 and they even have Barry Kenyon dancing to their tune, despite the fact that the law says Bt400,000."

A typo?

He posted that he's in CM.

"Since you're not married, after the birth of the child, get legally married to the woman."

Isn't that a bit presumptuous?

As long as you're telling to get married, why not tell him to get married prior to the birth?

Rememner on the birth certificate the important part is:

1. You are the one recorded as registering the birth of the child and

2. You are listed on the birth certificate as the father

Not relevent according to latest info ...... as per Mario2008 has already stated on this thread.

As already suggested, why not get married, no biggy in Thailand.

Edited by sarahsbloke

If you are on the birth certificate you can get a non-O visa based on you aking care of your child. An extension of stay can be get from immigration if you are the legal father and either have an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in the bank for 2 months. You are the legal fathe if you are married to the mother OR if you go to court to be recognised as the legal father.

In Kuala Lumpur you would be able to get a multiple non-O, but need to show 100,000 in the bank. Elsewhere in Asia you would only get a single non-O.

Is that one year visa? do you have to show the 100,000 at each 90 day extension of stay intervals?

KL issues a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa. You can travel at any time and obtain a new 90 day entry. The normal requirement for entry on a non immigrant visa is 20,000 baht but is normally not even checked by Immigration.

KL issues a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa. You can travel at any time and obtain a new 90 day entry. The normal requirement for entry on a non immigrant visa is 20,000 baht but is normally not even checked by Immigration.

So on the KL generated visa the regular 90 extension process is to be followed if you don't travel? Just fill out the forms, no photos and bank statements needed?