Thailand In The Long Term? What Kind Of Place Do We Want It To Be?

clockworkorange

Thailand in the Long Term? What Kind of Place do we Want it to be?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most foreigners here come from developed countries, with democratic values, equality and a strong sense of justice.

Thailand is very polarised, and so are the foreigners in this forum. So what do we really want for Thailand in the long run?

Edited by clockworkorange

OK, I may be sticking my neck wayyyy out , but does democracy really work anywhere? 51% of a popular vote telling the other 49% how it's going to be? Maybe what Thailand needs (as well as the rest of the world) is a republic, but then again my father always told me to never argue about religion or politics, because it is a no win situation, so enough said. :)

OK, I may be sticking my neck wayyyy out , but does democracy really work anywhere? 51% of a popular vote telling the other 49% how it's going to be? Maybe what Thailand needs (as well as the rest of the world) is a republic, but then again my father always told me to never argue about religion or politics, because it is a no win situation, so enough said. :)

America is supposed to be a republic but, now it's all about social welfare and wealth redistibution.Hope it works out better here than it did there.

America is supposed to be a republic but, now it's all about social welfare and wealth redistibution.Hope it works out better here than it did there.

Yeah since Ronald Reagan did the biggest tax INCREASE in American history, know what you mean, shame isn't it?

There are other models these days other than western style democracy. A lot of countries are looking at the success of China, with its one party system, and wondering if that is actually a better model (also Singapore).

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah since Ronald Reagan did the biggest tax INCREASE in American history, know what you mean, shame isn't it?

There are other models these days other than western style democracy. A lot of countries are looking at the success of China, with its one party system, and wondering if that is actually a better model (also Singapore).

I lived in Singapore in the 70s, and consider it to have been a "model" country. Just doesn't work for the person who wants to be "different" though.

There were unfortunately some bad side effects, eg the students comitting suicide because they failed their exams.

On the whole though, I'd rather live in a country which is in reality a "benevolent dictatorship" ( which Singapore was then- don't know about the present ), than a mess like Britain, which is a political and social shambles.

I lived in Singapore in the 70s, and consider it to have been a "model" country. Just doesn't work for the person who wants to be "different" though.

There were unfortunately some bad side effects, eg the students comitting suicide because they failed their exams.

On the whole though, I'd rather live in a country which is in reality a "benevolent dictatorship" ( which Singapore was then- don't know about the present ), than a mess like Britain, which is a political and social shambles.

The problem with benevolent dictatorship is, you dont know whether the next dictating power will be as benevolent as the previous.

BTW...a republic is still 51% telling the other 49% in a certain area of the country what to do and that 51% will just represent 1 of the 51 percent of congress who will tell the other 49 what to do. Anyways its the best system we have until, every decides to be good and then we can turn to a more communist society without the need of a government.

I like democracy in my school though, atleast even when there is only one person running i get the chance to turn in a blank.

If there is only one group(for prez and vice)/person running the team needs to get 60% of the votes that gets put in the ballot box. and if more than one group/person is running a 40% is needed. When the percent is not met for the 1 person/group one, the school gets two more weeks of an open chances for new teams to apply, the old team will get disqualified (unless they split up and form a new team-cant do that for individual post though-individual posts are secretary treasurer and grade reps), and new elections occur. When the 40% vote is not met when more than one team is running the top two percentages will square off with another election, and if neither reaches atleast 50 then the teams get disqualified and new elections occur again.

Most dictator's aren't benevolent. So then you are stuck with them. Thaksin comes to mind. He was clearly setting the stage before to be dictator and now chomping at the bit to come back.

I'd have to agree with you. Probably why he was removed.

The "unseen" powers could probably have tolerated him, so long as he allowed the usual suspects to feed at the trough, and didn't start shooting people ( other than supposed drug dealers ), but the thought of him as a dictator was probably anathema.

Pity there has only been one Lee Kwan Yu. Thailand under him in the 70s would probably be a fantastic place now.

I loved Singapore then, and had it not got so bl**dy expensive, would probably still be holidaying there rather than LOS.

In all honesty it doesn't really matter in the slightest what WE want as it is not our country and with a few exceptions we don't have any say in it.

All I wish for Thailand is for some sort of discussions for the future to start soon.

When the government is dissolved there will be one shirt colour or the other out on the streets shouting PM xxxxx out we was robbed.

It will probably be several generations before this mess is cleared up and sanity rules in the country again I am very sad to say.

quote:

BTW...a republic is still 51% telling the other 49% in a certain area of the country what to do and that 51% will just represent 1 of the 51 percent of congress who will tell the other 49 what to do. Anyways its the best system we have until, every decides to be good and then we can turn to a more communist society without the need of a government.

Agree, however a republic form of government was originally set up so that 99% of the people could not dictate to the 1% who did not agree with their views, but like all parties democracy being a prime example, it has been distorted and abused. There is no mention of democracy in the US Constitution (as far as i am aware) because the forefathers of the US. wanted a Republic which meant true freedom, but then again the forefathers put their lives and fortunes on the line for the sake of freedom. When was the last time any elected official in the east or west put their fortunes on the line for the good of country and their citizens? OK I will listen to my father. Argument over. :)

Edited by mizzi39