Salary In Thailand Compared To Local Thais

gravion

Hi im wondering.... if u get a job as a teacher as a foreigner u would most likely get in between 20k and 40k maybe?

How about thais? Im guessing Thais teaching thai would get around 8000baht?

So if ur getting like 20k, you should not say that u are getting low when talking to thais right?

Thai teachers start at about 7k typically. By the end of their careers they can be earning as much as about 75k per month, but most only make it to around 35-45k. Thai teachers get benefits such as long-term low-interest government loans to buy houses or personal vehicles. Thai teachers get a pension when they retire. Thai teachers have support networks of friends and family. Thai teachers are rarely fired.

Foreign teachers typically start at around 30-45k, depending on location, the type of school, and the subject they teach. Once their salary gets too high many schools will drop them. No school pays for experience so they will start at the entry-level salary at any new position. Foreign teachers are often terminated for no reason. Foreign teachers pay considerably more for most things in Thailand compared with Thais, like rent, comfort foods, entertainment, holidays, etc. Foreign teachers pay huge amounts of their income if they want to visit their families in their home countries. Foreigners also have additional visa costs/hassles that must be sorted. Also there is the opportunity cost to a foreigner by taking such a low wage when they could be earning much more in their home countries. The cost most foreigners paid for their university education are many times more than the cost of a Thai university education. Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools, but some get medical through Thai social security.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Thai teachers start at about 7k typically. By the end of their careers they can be earning as much as about 75k per month, but most only make it to around 35-45k. Thai teachers get benefits such as long-term low-interest government loans to buy houses or personal vehicles. Thai teachers get a pension when they retire. Thai teachers have support networks of friends and family. Thai teachers are rarely fired.

Foreign teachers typically start at around 30-45k, depending on location, the type of school, and the subject they teach. Once their salary gets too high many schools will drop them. No school pays for experience so they will start at the entry-level salary at any new position. Foreign teachers are often terminated for no reason. Foreign teachers pay considerably more for most things in Thailand compared with Thais, like rent, comfort foods, entertainment, holidays, etc. Foreign teachers pay huge amounts of their income if they want to visit their families in their home countries. Foreigners also have additional visa costs/hassles that must be sorted. Also there is the opportunity cost to a foreigner by taking such a low wage when they could be earning much more in their home countries. Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools, but some get medical through Thai social security.

Which makes me wonder... why would a foreigner do it?

.... Unless they were fetching a competitive salary and benefits as with some of the international schools.

Foreign teachers typically start at around 30-45k, depending on location, the type of school, and the subject they teach. Once their salary gets too high many schools will drop them. No school pays for experience so they will start at the entry-level salary at any new position. Foreign teachers are often terminated for no reason. Foreign teachers pay considerably more for most things in Thailand compared with Thais, like rent, comfort foods, entertainment, holidays, etc. Foreign teachers pay huge amounts of their income if they want to visit their families in their home countries. Foreigners also have additional visa costs/hassles that must be sorted. Also there is the opportunity cost to a foreigner by taking such a low wage when they could be earning much more in their home countries. The cost most foreigners paid for their university education are many times higher than the cost most Thai teachers paid for theirs. Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools, but some get medical through Thai social security.

Very good post 'way2muchcoffee'. You pretty much summed it up! :)

Foreign teachers typically start at around 30-45k, depending on location, the type of school, and the subject they teach. Once their salary gets too high many schools will drop them. No school pays for experience so they will start at the entry-level salary at any new position. Foreign teachers are often terminated for no reason. Foreign teachers pay considerably more for most things in Thailand compared with Thais, like rent, comfort foods, entertainment, holidays, etc. Foreign teachers pay huge amounts of their income if they want to visit their families in their home countries. Foreigners also have additional visa costs/hassles that must be sorted. Also there is the opportunity cost to a foreigner by taking such a low wage when they could be earning much more in their home countries. The cost most foreigners paid for their university education are many times higher than the cost most Thai teachers paid for theirs. Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools, but some get medical through Thai social security.

Very good post 'way2muchcoffee'. You pretty much summed it up! :)

I think the minimum salary requirement to get a work permit is around 60k.

No...there is no minium salary stated per se to be granted a WP, you are confusing this with the extension of stay based on employment, were there are minimum salary requirements which differ dependent on nationality..

Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools,

Not quite true, if you are paying every month into the social security fund, you are actually entitled to a pension if you retire in Thailand, obviously the amount is very small, but a pension none the less

I think the minimum salary requirement to get a work permit is around 60k.

No...there is no minium salary stated per se to be granted a WP, you are confusing this with the extension of stay based on employment, were there are minimum salary requirements which differ dependent on nationality..

so is that why most teaching jobs are only one year contract? government and language schools.

because of requirement salary based on extension of stay based on employment?

they would never pay 60k to a foreign teacher...

"so is that why most teaching jobs are only one year contract? government and language schools.

because of requirement salary based on extension of stay based on employment?

they would never pay 60k to a foreign teacher..."

Teachers are exempt from this requirement.

I can only see one reason for a westerner to work as a teacher in Thailand because they like living in Thailand. I see no other benefits. back home the salaries are much higher, better benefits, better retirement and if you want to work overseas you can get fantastic salaries at International schools especially if your spouse is a teacher also. Presently the tuition is around $15,000 a month allowing for the higher salaries.

Foreign teachers typically start at around 30-45k, depending on location, the type of school, and the subject they teach. Once their salary gets too high many schools will drop them. No school pays for experience so they will start at the entry-level salary at any new position. Foreign teachers are often terminated for no reason. Foreign teachers pay considerably more for most things in Thailand compared with Thais, like rent, comfort foods, entertainment, holidays, etc. Foreign teachers pay huge amounts of their income if they want to visit their families in their home countries. Foreigners also have additional visa costs/hassles that must be sorted. Also there is the opportunity cost to a foreigner by taking such a low wage when they could be earning much more in their home countries. Foreigners get no retirement benefits while working in Thai schools, but some get medical through Thai social security.

.... Unless they were fetching a competitive salary and benefits as with some of the international schools.

young female studdents!

ive wondered the same thing. maybe they really have the best interests of the young ones in mind .............lol.

Edited by simpathy

in my opinion they dont give a crap about students... i know i dont...

i think teaching is the only occupation available to foreigners without trade. Even if uve got trade skills, locals would hire locals who can speak thai plus who r happy with 10k salary right?

i know some successful teachers, but in my opinion even with 60k salary, it aint enuff. they would be able to happily live their retirement in thailand, but they wouldnt be able to keep 800K or 400K in their bank account to keep extending their visa till they die. there is not such thing as permanent residency in thailand.

or if they r lucky, they got their parents will or sumthing....

i think teaching is the only occupation available to foreigners without trade. Even if uve got trade skills, locals would hire locals who can speak thai plus who r happy with 10k salary right?

i know some successful teachers, but in my opinion even with 60k salary, it aint enuff. they would be able to happily live their retirement in thailand, but they wouldnt be able to keep 800K or 400K in their bank account to keep extending their visa till they die. there is not such thing as permanent residency in thailand.

If you don't care about your students you should give up teaching. Seriously. That is disgraceful. And please do not malign all foreign teachers by lumping them into your particular unwanted and unneeded group.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I can only see one reason for a westerner to work as a teacher in Thailand because they like living in Thailand. I see no other benefits. back home the salaries are much higher, better benefits, better retirement and if you want to work overseas you can get fantastic salaries at International schools especially if your spouse is a teacher also. Presently the tuition is around $15,000 a month allowing for the higher salaries.

Which school do you send your kid to that charges $15,000 a month tuition?

Which school do you send your kid to that charges $15,000 a month tuition?

oooops sorry. that is yearly tuition.

It may sound strange to you but some people do jobs they like and not because of the money. Right now I work hard looking after some kangaroos for zero salarie because I love them.

It may sound strange to you but some people do jobs they like and not because of the money. Right now I work hard looking after some kangaroos for zero salarie because I love them.

do they hump your leg?

Foreigners don't teach biology, they don't teach chemistry, they don't teach history.  Foreigners teach English.  Hiring an native English speaker is an easy way to make sure you at least hire someone who knows decent English.  It's not like they are paying foreigners a ton more, where it would be worth while looking for a Thai to teach English for less.  

Second, foreigners teach English in Thailand because they want to live in Thailand.  These are basically the only jobs available to foreigners.  Even if they have money saved up, their day job can cover a decent chunk of their expenses.

Third, to some people, 30K sounds low, but you know what?  There are many people in the US struggling and making $1K/month, particularly in rural areas.  I don't know how many of them have a college degree (or whatever is needed to get a job in Thailand) but if I was in their situation I would RUN - not walk - to Thailand to get one of these jobs as it would improve my living standard by a LOT.  

If you don't care about your students you should give up teaching. Seriously. That is disgraceful. And please do not malign all foreign teachers by lumping them into your particular unwanted and unneeded group.

Agree, i pay for my 3 children a lost of money every year and i must say that they have some very good English teachers at there school who are serious in what they are doing, (gravion) so don't put them all in the same corner, you have no f%$#ing idea wats going on.

Edited by needforspeed

Agree, i pay for my 3 children a lost of money every year and i must say that they have some very good English teachers at there school who are serious in what they are doing, (gravion) so don't put them all in the same corner, you have no f%$#ing idea wats going on.

Whatever you do, don't teach them yourself!

Most English teachers are only interested in beer and girls. The whole business is a joke aprt from International schools and universities.

Most English teachers are only interested in beer and girls. The whole business is a joke aprt from International schools and universities.

Moronic and offensive and, IMO, decidedly untrue.

Saraburioz, is maybe one of them himself and reflecting this to all.

Feel sorry for him :)

come on people.

you think low paid teacher, which most are, are really interested in the intellectual development of their pupils.

the cream of the crop is not going to be english teasher in thailand.

quote..

Whatever you do, don't teach them yourself!

Yes, this is certainly a joke quote indeed. :) I think that there are more retirees living in LOS that have the drinking and girl chasing covered. Now, I am certainly not being critical of retirees, but there are more of them than us.

I agree that there may be many "unsavory teachers", but if you think that this is limited to "English Teachers" and this does not apply to people teaching in international schools, and universities then you really do need your head checked.

come on people.

you think low paid teacher, which most are, are really interested in the intellectual development of their pupils.

the cream of the crop is not going to be english teasher in thailand.

Your opinion. However, of the teachers I know, most are family men and have been working and living in Thailand for over 5 years and some as many as 20 years. They are career teachers who have chosen Thailand. Many have advanced degrees and certifications. After several years it becomes clear which schools are suitable environments long-term. They find these schools and slowly build their wages to the comfort level. Sure, they may like a drink now and again, just as anyone else. They are not monks or saints. They are people who care passionately about their jobs.

• 2 weeks later...