Thai Baht Nears 22-month High

george

The Nation has this dead wrong. Perhaps a bad typist, but it is NOWHERE NEAR a 22-month high. The USD/THB hit 36.29 on March 3, 2009.

hence the current value is a high for the Baht!

I think tht you're thinking in terms of a high for the $

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "cheap baht" is a double edged sword anyhow - not that the Thai govt can achieve that or anything without going back to the 80s - a cheap baht will mean imports cost more and one thing Thailand needs a lot of is oil which it will have to import.

also most raw materials for production.

I think anything other than a free-floating baht would be about as likely as ..... Abhisit becoming the next PM

hard to seeing it getting any cheaper or remaining this cheap without artifical intervention

Listen the Thanksin and redshirts have been doing their best to weaken the baht so that farangs can get more baht for their sterling, us and oz $ so that they can buy more Chang beer...but do they get any thanks from the folks on TVF...no nothing but slagging off...it will serve you all right if they accept Abhisity's deal and the baht soars...

seems to be increasingly likely.....

For a country where the export markets and tourism are of prime importance this would be an eminently sensible policy to adopt. We can therefore state with some certainty it will not be adopted. :)

Doh!

You got me there!

Precisely - do you really want that kind of govt here???

IUt will require Chinese style draconian measures and will upset the rest of Thailand's trading partners - never gonna happen. Even the Chinese are under pressure.

Independent consultant John Sheehan yesterday advised Thai authorities to consider resuming the currency peg.

who, pray tell, is John Sheehan?

not this one i presume?

General John Sheehan isn't the first bigot to blame 'the gays ... The week's most ludicrous comment comes from US Army General John Sheehan, who has blamed the Srebrenica massacre on - wait for it - the gays.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tomch...blame-the-gays/

No

It's the ex-Lehman Bros banker

i see. it goes without saying that qualifies him to "advise thai authorities" how to handle the thai currency :)

Independent consultant John Sheehan yesterday advised Thai authorities to consider resuming the currency peg.

who, pray tell, is John Sheehan?

not this one i presume?

General John Sheehan isn't the first bigot to blame 'the gays ... The week's most ludicrous comment comes from US Army General John Sheehan, who has blamed the Srebrenica massacre on - wait for it - the gays.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tomch...blame-the-gays/

No

It's the ex-Lehman Bros banker

i see. it goes without saying that qualifies him to "advise thai authorities" how to handle the thai currency :)

I'm not his publicist but in the interests of fairness he did quit in 2008 because no-one on the inside would listen to his claims that there was a big rock and they were steered straight at it full speed ahead.....

THB to EUR today: 40.5

The euro has managed to lose 20% against the THB in half a year.

This is disastrous.

No it's economics, and looks set to lose more in all honesty. Euroland will have to impose quite severe austerity measures in many countries, and the effects will even be felt in Germany. I'd guess there wil be QE which will effectively devalue the Euro.

Disasterous for expats I agree.

You'll understand that as a UK expat I can only offer little sympathy and no financial support. :)