Gardening On The Islands

Hi,

Another one is the Oleander, I have a spectacular tree that I have grown for many years. Had some Germans at our place letting their kids run wild in the garden, breaking plants etc and when they started in on the oleander I said, you might want to stop your kids, that is poisonous. Was quite annoyed that they felt it was ok to let their kids run riot in my garden so I didn't mention that you had to eat quite a bit for it to actually be poisonous :D

yeah, that's something most people don't know or care for. If I take a closer look, a third of my garden inventory is poisonous. Oleander, nicandra, brugmansia, potatoes, ...good strategy, @SBK, just kep telling them they'll drop dead by munching one single leaf! ;)

I hate it when people or their dogs aren't careful in my garden. I scold even less-well-known guests and visitors as soon as they step within a 2-cm radius of my plants :rolleyes: Can't help myself. It's one thing when my boyf wants to help and accidentally weeds out all my marigolds :D, but if his niece lets her tiny dog run around over our freshly planted peppers while she stomps on my sempervivum collection, I play the bad auntie.

From your story, I take it you were not in the position to tell those Germans to call their kids back, @SBK? It's a shame people don't see by themselves what to do and what to let. :annoyed:

Greetz

GP

@angiud, your pictures are just great! Only disadvantage: They make me want to have all those gorgeous plants all the more :D

I have a couple of pitcher plants and love them very much. The one you show looks as if someone tied it around a liana - can you help me out? Do pitchers really climb up other plants?

Pretty pitchers! :clap2:

Hi,

Another one is the Oleander, I have a spectacular tree that I have grown for many years. Had some Germans at our place letting their kids run wild in the garden, breaking plants etc and when they started in on the oleander I said, you might want to stop your kids, that is poisonous. Was quite annoyed that they felt it was ok to let their kids run riot in my garden so I didn't mention that you had to eat quite a bit for it to actually be poisonous :D

yeah, that's something most people don't know or care for. If I take a closer look, a third of my garden inventory is poisonous. Oleander, nicandra, brugmansia, potatoes, ...good strategy, @SBK, just kep telling them they'll drop dead by munching one single leaf! ;)

I hate it when people or their dogs aren't careful in my garden. I scold even less-well-known guests and visitors as soon as they step within a 2-cm radius of my plants :rolleyes: Can't help myself. It's one thing when my boyf wants to help and accidentally weeds out all my marigolds :D, but if his niece lets her tiny dog run around over our freshly planted peppers while she stomps on my sempervivum collection, I play the bad auntie.

From your story, I take it you were not in the position to tell those Germans to call their kids back, @SBK? It's a shame people don't see by themselves what to do and what to let. :annoyed:

Greetz

GP

you can also make very casual and matter of fact comments about the size and variety of snakes in the garden and most parents would flinch.

i got some new info last night about the bonsai/gra daht plant. we were talking to our neighbor and she called it hua chang or elephant ear, then she pointed to a beautiful "palm" in my yard that she called hang chang or elephant tail. apparently in high demand at resorts, even a small potted version will run thousands of baht and ours is much bigger than me.

she said it has a beautiful flower so of course i asked when. she said "about ten years old"

lived in this house for 3 years, estimate built 2 prior so only 5 more years to go!

@Joe, so you've already got half an elephant in your garden :D

This is not possibly the 'palm' you have?

http://www.google.de...w=1024&bih=1121

I coudn't tail a plant named 'elephant tail' on Google. The plant I am showing is the one we call 'elephant foot' in German so at least it would add another member to your new backyard pet.

lived in this house for 3 years, estimate built 2 prior so only 5 more years to go!
:D

http://view.stern.de/de/picture/Sommer-B%E4ume-Urlaub-Bl%FCten-portugal-Dimage-Z2-359494.html

Greetz

GP

Edited by GermanPrimrose

i got some new info last night about the bonsai/gra daht plant. we were talking to our neighbor and she called it hua chang or elephant ear, then she pointed to a beautiful "palm" in my yard that she called hang chang or elephant tail. apparently in high demand at resorts, even a small potted version will run thousands of baht and ours is much bigger than me.

she said it has a beautiful flower so of course i asked when. she said "about ten years old"

names of plants will vary from region to region and person to person depending on who they learned it from, got a piccie of your palm?

@Joe, so you've already got half an elephant in your garden :D

This is not possibly the 'palm' you have?

http://www.google.de...w=1024&bih=1121

I coudn't tail a plant named 'elephant tail' on Google. The plant I am showing is the one we call 'elephant foot' in German so at least it would add another member to your new backyard pet.

:D

http://view.stern.de...-Z2-359494.html

Greetz

GP

i found mostly elephants foot as well. also pony tail. this is probably the same thing, here's a couple of photos. looking down on it there, it's at least 8' in diameter.

post-92060-0-81343200-1323425635_thumb.j

post-92060-0-45671200-1323425681_thumb.j

names of plants will vary from region to region and person to person depending on who they learned it from, got a piccie of your palm?

sure do just took two. those are both the one she referred to as elephant tail.

@angiud, your pictures are just great! Only disadvantage: They make me want to have all those gorgeous plants all the more :D

I have a couple of pitcher plants and love them very much. The one you show looks as if someone tied it around a liana - can you help me out? Do pitchers really climb up other plants?

Pretty pitchers! :clap2:

Thanks for the nice words :jap:

The wild pitcher plants here in KPG grow climbing on other plants up to 4/5 meters or more:

6357659309_aa81065580.jpg

Tropical Pitcher Plant

My wife always ask me to bring me back some 20 of those so she can fill with some kind of meat and cook. But like a PC westerner I like to respect the ambient where I live so I make here a bit disappointed...

Niiice plant!

But no idea what it could be named.For sure it is not Beaucarne.

Watch out, Joe, garden elephants are sneaky...

http://images.travel...shrubanimal.jpg

lol i think topiary gardens can be a lot of fun. two elephants is good luck to boot.

come to think of it i've got some shrubs begging to become the two elephants on the beer chang label.

Oh my my! All you "office workers" have been busy here today.... :D

I had to run off to the Dentist this morning and when I got home, decided I had been looking at my messy pond and surrounding area long enough, so decided to empty the pond and clean it... and do some major cutting back of a few things! I was surprised the fish were still alive... it was that dirty! :rolleyes:

As SBK says, many Thai's use different words depending on where they come from, in Thailand, this is why it is so difficult to learn Thai! .... But that's the same anywhere in the world, I think, especially when it comes to common names of plants it varies from region to region... country to country...

Was that why I had to learn Latin in skool??? :o

Poinsettias are another one of those poisonous plants, that few know is... but you don't hear of people dieing from eating the leaves or bracts....or the white sap...

I see the Garden Centres are well stocked with them now, it's too bad it's another plant that does not seem to survive here...

Hi,

The wild pitcher plants here in KPG grow climbing on other plants up to 4/5 meters or more:
Thanks Angiud! Needless to say that I am sooo envious you even have wild pitcher plants whereas I keep my few pitcher hybrids in a special box in the basement to keep them alive...

Even though we do not manage to keep humidity at 70%+ but only pushed it up to 57%, I am glad to see them grow new tiny pitchers. Must be true what they say about robust hybrids available on European markets.

Stuffing them with meat? Isn't this what they try to do by themselves?:D

As SBK says, many Thai's use different words depending on where they come from, in Thailand, this is why it is so difficult to learn Thai! .... But that's the same anywhere in the world, I think, especially when it comes to common names of plants it varies from region to region... country to country...

Yes Sir :D

Poinsettias are another one of those poisonous plants, that few know is... but you don't hear of people dieing from eating the leaves or bracts....or the white sap...

I see the Garden Centres are well stocked with them now, it's too bad it's another plant that does not seem to survive here...

Doesn't? Huh...is this because it needs regular irrigation? Or why else do you suspect it does not survive?

I only know they can't stand cold wind and that they get opaque caps put on to make sure they develop the nice + red leaves in time for christmas.

Do people in Thailand - Thai and farangs - buy poinsettias at this time of the year?

Greetz

GP

Yes Sir :D

Doesn't? Huh...is this because it needs regular irrigation? Or why else do you suspect it does not survive?

I only know they can't stand cold wind and that they get opaque caps put on to make sure they develop the nice + red leaves in time for christmas.

Do people in Thailand - Thai and farangs - buy poinsettias at this time of the year?

Greetz

GP

Nop! tried a few times, and you don't see mature ones, it's the heat here at night I think.... I am sure they would do OK in the north... ones sees them in Hawaii, Fuji etc... We are a different world! :D

Thai's use them for public decoration, I just saw that in Koh Phangan, near the Pier in Tongsala, Honouring H.M. the King's Birthday...

Never managed to keep alive beyond April... so another seasonable plant! Just too darn hot here! :D

See, this is interesting...over here, we always believe that your climate is so great for gardening...no cold, keeping plants alive all around the year...

As I have been in Samui once, I know about the rains...but it took my coming here to realize that night heat can be a 'killing' factor.

A last question about the Poinsettias: Do you keep them potted, Jim, or plant them in the ground?

Greetz

GP

See, this is interesting...over here, we always believe that your climate is so great for gardening...no cold, keeping plants alive all around the year...

As I have been in Samui once, I know about the rains...but it took my coming here to realize that night heat can be a 'killing' factor.

A last question about the Poinsettias: Do you keep them potted, Jim, or plant them in the ground?

Greetz

GP

I have tried both, potted and planting in the garden... you just don't see them growing into large "shrubs" here, as you do in places like Hawaii...

If the weather was as cool as it's been the last few days, (brrrr!) we might have better luck with some of these plants ;)

Is there a list of quality garden shops on the island? I need a few good tools and Home Pro is distinctly lacking.

Well if you are looking for forks, spades, and "western" style tools, Home Pro is about as good as it gets.... at least on Samui .... or KP from what I have found so far...

Don't buy the cheap creamy yellow coloured spade, it will buckle the first time you use it... :lol::blink:

Their light green handle spades and shovels are not that bad....(I think they have lady sized forks too.... ;) I have had them going for about three years now and still OK... so actually not a bad buy... I think about 600 baht, so compared with tools in the west, very cheap....

Sure glad I brought my hoe and a few other tools with me... I had metal handles put on by a local welder for about 100 baht each .... much better than the wood ones, (took off wood handles before shipping...) .

Decent rakes are hard to come by.... had the welder strengthen those , so they don't buckle or break so easily.... :(

Garden Shops don't seem to sell much in the way of tools, but some of the small hardware stores carry "thai style" tools, actually some not bad once you get used to them! :D

Edited by samuijimmy

Some plants blooming around Samui and KP now: A few I have never noticed before... (pics 3 and 5)

The Azalea picture was actually taken in Cameron Highland, north of KL (Malaysia, blooming in July.... it gets cool there!!!! ) you see them in the garden shops here, brought in from the north (CM) but don't survive... (oh that heat problem we have!!!)

But also with some plants for blooming it day length and also cooler temperatures that set the budding process....

The pink flowered tree, (PICTURE 4 ) was planted about years years ago and quite small, now about 20 feet and has been blooming for months....

My reference book is on 'walk about" so cannot put name to it :lol:

Our German Princess opps Primrose will no doubt name a few things! :D

The last picture is Scale, which i have noticed lately on a few plants.... That is not easy to control. best to cut out and burn....

post-85461-0-39137400-1323699887_thumb.j

post-85461-0-40792400-1323699903_thumb.j

post-85461-0-54250700-1323699915_thumb.j

post-85461-0-24251300-1323699943_thumb.j

post-85461-0-71686800-1323699955_thumb.j

post-85461-0-63140500-1323700071_thumb.j

post-85461-0-50421400-1323700089_thumb.j

post-85461-0-88081300-1323700920_thumb.j

Here is a picture of Oleander, not the best photo ... taken at a nursery.....

Usually one only sees the darker pink flower, One has a white flower the other a lighter pink flower, .

Commonly used if i remember along the freeway medians of California...

Oh those in considerate Germans, :D not keeping their children under control.. :annoyed: . actually I can think of a few other nationalities that have lost control of their little dahlings B):D

I am slowly getting my plant pictures together.... a daunting task :blink: .... But I realize easier for readers to see, than a link to pictures...

post-85461-0-19839900-1323787219_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Usually one only sees the darker pink flower, One has a white flower the other a lighter pink flower, .

Different again - I have the dark pink flowered one and keep getting inquiries about cuttings as most people here have the white + the rosé ones.

Edited by GermanPrimrose

Yes, I am aware of HomePro and that they are currently out of stock of a number of items.

My question was, is there a list of garden shops on Samui somewhere in these 15 pages?

Such a shame that pinned topics do not have sub-directories -- how much easier and user-friendly that would be....

Agreed. sub directories would be useful..... but cannot do... :(

Like I said Hompro is the best choice on Samui, for a few western style tools, but limited to Spades and Shovels when it comes to quality, that I have found so far... here on Samui

Not sure if there are places in Surathanni ...? Chancy to go check out unless you are heading that way anyways.......

Also a number of items in some shops in sort supply due to flooding in BKK and areas..... we just have to wade it out.... :)

Yes, I am aware of HomePro and that they are currently out of stock of a number of items.

My question was, is there a list of garden shops on Samui somewhere in these 15 pages?

Such a shame that pinned topics do not have sub-directories -- how much easier and user-friendly that would be....

Like I said Hompro is the best choice on Samui, for a few western style tools, but limited to Spades and Shovels when it comes to quality, that I have found so far... here on Samui

Not sure if there are places in Surathanni ...? Chancy to go check out unless you are heading that way anyways.......

Also a number of items in some shops in sort supply due to flooding in BKK and areas..... we just have to wade it out.... :)

small corner hardware shops are great for wheelbarrows, fencing and pipes but home pro is the place to go for most garden tools. i've never had any problems with hand tools, lawn mowers, rakes etc that i've bought at home pro however the pressure sprayers are complete crap, i've bought 3 from there in varying price ranges and they all broke within the first two uses so i'm just not buying any of those types of things there anymore. the shovels, hoes and rakes have all held up very well.

small corner hardware shops are great for wheelbarrows, fencing and pipes but home pro is the place to go for most garden tools. i've never had any problems with hand tools, lawn mowers, rakes etc that i've bought at home pro however the pressure sprayers are complete crap, i've bought 3 from there in varying price ranges and they all broke within the first two uses so i'm just not buying any of those types of things there anymore. the shovels, hoes and rakes have all held up very well.

Speaking of wheel barrows, it would be nice to find one with inflatable tire.... those hard tire ones are a pain! :annoyed:

I have seen them around on various construction sites, never seen one to buy here....

Mind you a tarp works better if you are doing a lot of pruning and need to haul stuff, other than soil or sand etc... .... provided there are not too many jagged rocks to pull it over!... or two people to carry ;)

I've been doing a lot of pruning and cutting things back these last couple of days, ... if we ever get any decent amount of rain it will all grow back in no time! ... if we don't I guess I will be looking at my neighbours for a while and them me! :D

Where's that rain Mr Rooo? :blink::D

Well another day in the garden, clipping, shearing and ho ho ho-ing! (Christmas is coming!) :bah: Moving a few plants around and dividing them... I sure hope that rain or at least some comes soon...

I have decided that this blue flowering plant pictured, that almost looks like a Sweet Pea (I would say Pea family member) .... has to go.....

Had I known when I first planted it that it seeds its self like crazy and grows into every thing..... :annoyed:...... I would have never had planted it....(at least I did not buy it!).

The locals use it for cooking and food decoration, and Thai men use it for dying their greying hair :lol:

Anyway tried to rid the garden of it yesterday and today, managed to murder one other vine to which I thought was the root of this....oops :o luckily had a replacement of it from I cutting I had made a few months ago...

So another experiment in the process of learning about habits of local plants! ;)

My gardening book still has not appeared, so cannot look up the name... We'll call it "Blue pea plant"... just to keep things simple! :D

Oh darn! just made a double post! :whistling:

post-85461-0-70599100-1323957263_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy