Gardening On The Islands

My tree is over the fish feeding bridge and left towards a kitchen and 2x live in classrooms. There are plenty of flowers and butterflies too. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

The tree is next to the path and the lowest pods are at chest height.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, evadgib said:

My tree is over the fish feeding bridge and left towards a kitchen and 2x live in classrooms. There are plenty of flowers and butterflies too. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Your camera is broken then? :biggrin:.... But thanks for better indication of exactly where it is!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 8:53 PM, evadgib said:

Well I did go take a boo, but did not find it any Cocao trees! .... perhaps someone had picked it!  Lucky me though I did get a free lunch.

Along that road to the water falls, (Hin Lat or Hin Lad ... depending on which sign one reads! ..... there are many interesting trees or plants / vines that one rarely sees in other areas of Samui.

Just as one enters the falls area there is a huge Rubber tree (Ficus) or what we call Rubber tree in the west! 

IMG_8228.jpg

This vine had a nice scent.

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8220.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2016 at 6:06 PM, robsamui said:

While we're at it, can you tell me what these are Jim?

Thanks.

27895003132_dbedc8e64e_c.jpg

DSC_0762 by Rob Dewet, on Flickr

I think I figured this out Rob! 

Image will show better when we are back to colour! 

Platiyoden ...... In cold climates it dies to the ground in autumn ... late to appear in spring... it will be interesting to see what it does here! 

It has a tuber like root...  

Image here on google search! 

https://www.google.co.th/search?q&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACfT2_1xJK5LNcIjingCzi4kTR4-jghgv6Z5D1O_1zF5fnmqxdjHZdC2innPEJrM63HBTFAJ6wCsyDslcn9NLhnHfbZtCoSCaeALOLiRNHjEXVD74nf8w5eKhIJ6OCGC_1pnkPURtiO1xBa7eRkqEgk7_1MXl-earFxHUEa7roYPBlCoSCWMdl0LaKec8ETmgC2e7JdPTKhIJQmszrccFMUARyeucWguXpL0qEgknrAKzIOyVyRGbLcImxouBRyoSCf00uGcd9tm0EciLNlom4wfP&tbo=u&bih=1263&biw=2402&ved=0ahUKEwjRzs7Q1tzPAhUJMI8KHQ_oB8kQ9C8ICQ&dpr=1#imgrc=XEhnes92q2JeJM%3A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I've just rented a house in Plai Leam and have inherited 20 medium sized pots full of weeds.  They line the entrance to the house and are in full sun.  Can you recommend some pretty flowering plants that would do well in those pots.  Some photos might help me identify them.

Many thanks.  

2 hours ago, Sauc said:

Hello,

I've just rented a house in Plai Leam and have inherited 20 medium sized pots full of weeds.  They line the entrance to the house and are in full sun.  Can you recommend some pretty flowering plants that would do well in those pots.  Some photos might help me identify them.

Many thanks.  

Just about anything will grow in pots... I would dump out every thing and change the soil.. buy some of the bagged soil most nurseries have, usually 3 bags / 100 baht... I generally add some sharp sand, (easily found on the side of many roads!.. do not use beach sand.... )  Plants in nurseries are generally all pot grown...

As for adding pictures, well that could go on and on...  being medium sized pots I would avoid plants that get too large in a short period of time.... Perhaps take pictures of plants you see and like and take  to the nurseries... show the size pots you will be using!

Here is a few examples of plants that bloom for long periods and easy to grow....

If you want some thing low,  Portulaca comes in many colours  & is really easy to grow and flowers most of the year... but does need splitting and re potting perhaps once or twice a year... (really easy to do!)...

Portulaca... sun loving!

TTQkN0tnWSgGt8y2erZm_mRSl2e9Ttzc9ad_uKIY

Plumbago .... around 2 to 2.5 feet high... sheer back occasionally. Blooms most of the year...more sun than shade!  May take some hunting around to find!

zgPSSuhh90YwDnkogLPQxTHAH0dbGsYkpARrAh3o

Hibiscus should be OK for a few years...

hbP3CEdQSZt6ipktXRil7_dFE4YOBxpdETUowuio

Really it is an endless list..... just observe plants in pots around homes and shops!

Just make sure during hot weather to water plants  twice a day, and fertilize every two or three months!

Hope that helps a little!

28 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Just about anything will grow in pots... I would dump out every thing and change the soil.. buy some of the bagged soil most nurseries have, usually 3 bags / 100 baht... I generally add some sharp sand, (easily found on the side of many roads!.. do not use beach sand.... )  Plants in nurseries are generally all pot grown...

As for adding pictures, well that could go on and on...  being medium sized pots I would avoid plants that get too large in a short period of time.... Perhaps take pictures of plants you see and like and take  to the nurseries... show the size pots you will be using!

Here is a few examples of plants that bloom for long periods and easy to grow....

If you want some thing low,  Portulaca comes in many colours  & is really easy to grow and flowers most of the year... but does need splitting and re potting perhaps once or twice a year... (really easy to do!)...

Portulaca... sun loving!

TTQkN0tnWSgGt8y2erZm_mRSl2e9Ttzc9ad_uKIY

Plumbago .... around 2 to 2.5 feet high... sheer back occasionally. Blooms most of the year...more sun than shade!  May take some hunting around to find!

zgPSSuhh90YwDnkogLPQxTHAH0dbGsYkpARrAh3o

Hibiscus should be OK for a few years...

hbP3CEdQSZt6ipktXRil7_dFE4YOBxpdETUowuio

Really it is an endless list..... just observe plants in pots around homes and shops!

Just make sure during hot weather to water plants  twice a day, and fertilize every two or three months!

Hope that helps a little!

Thank you very much.  I was hoping for plumbago but I have not seen it yet.  Do you know of a good gardener who can speak English and knows the local plants?  I'm moving into a house with a large yard that has been left unattended for a while.  I really know nothing about the local trees and shrubs.  Just need some advice on what to cut, what to take out, and what to leave alone.  Also is there any way of buying grass seeds for shade areas?  There is no grass under the trees, only sandy soil.  And the grass that I have is also full of weed.  Do they have broadleaf herbicides here and do they work? 

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Sauc said:

Thank you very much.  I was hoping for plumbago but I have not seen it yet.  Do you know of a good gardener who can speak English and knows the local plants?  I'm moving into a house with a large yard that has been left unattended for a while.  I really know nothing about the local trees and shrubs.  Just need some advice on what to cut, what to take out, and what to leave alone.  Also is there any way of buying grass seeds for shade areas?  There is no grass under the trees, only sandy soil.  And the grass that I have is also full of weed.  Do they have broadleaf herbicides here and do they work? 

Thanks again.

Some plants take a bit of searching for !!! I cannot remember where I first found my Plumbago,  I have made cuttings to increase my plant count...  not that difficult to do....

Picture needed to take around the nurseries... it could mean headed to some of the nurseries south of Nathon...

Finding an English speaking gardener, is not always easy.... but I believe the lady who runs the nursery near Plai Leam Temple will do "house calls" it would be worth asking if she would come by an try and help!... she may have a crew to do stuff like that... I have only heard that, but never met her....

I don't think you'll find grass seed anywhere! It seems to be restricted to golf courses and turf farms... (done to protect rice paddies around Thailand I believe. )

The wide bladed Malay grass should work for shady areas,  you could buy a few pieces of turf and make small plugs every 9 inches or so... will quickly fill in.... But if soil is really sandy it would help to add some organic soil and mix in... larger quantities at the soil place on the Ghost Road... One or perhaps 2 kms from the bigger 7-11 in Ban Rak...

Round up is the only herbicide that will kill broad leaf plants here... make sure to cut off flowers or seed heads, as it takes about 2 weeks to kill the whole plant (roots) !! .....it too will kill everything, it is not a selective herbicide you would find in "the west"... carefully spot spraying can work if you are careful ...

Another plant that is quite attractive in pots is Coleus .... but one needs to make new cuttings every once in a while, they root really easily. OK in full sun here too!

cSw9oHgOJgCIFM7xP2mAEzrotSTZy9Rr6_io-qUJ

58 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Some plants take a bit of searching for !!! I cannot remember where I first found my Plumbago,  I have made cuttings to increase my plant count...  not that difficult to do....

Picture needed to take around the nurseries... it could mean headed to some of the nurseries south of Nathon...

Finding an English speaking gardener, is not always easy.... but I believe the lady who runs the nursery near Plai Leam Temple will do "house calls" it would be worth asking if she would come by an try and help!... she may have a crew to do stuff like that... I have only heard that, but never met her....

I don't think you'll find grass seed anywhere! It seems to be restricted to golf courses and turf farms... (done to protect rice paddies around Thailand I believe. )

The wide bladed Malay grass should work for shady areas,  you could buy a few pieces of turf and make small plugs every 9 inches or so... will quickly fill in.... But if soil is really sandy it would help to add some organic soil and mix in... larger quantities at the soil place on the Ghost Road... One or perhaps 2 kms from the bigger 7-11 in Ban Rak...

Round up is the only herbicide that will kill broad leaf plants here... make sure to cut off flowers or seed heads, as it takes about 2 weeks to kill the whole plant (roots) !! .....it too will kill everything, it is not a selective herbicide you would find in "the west"... carefully spot spraying can work if you are careful ...

Another plant that is quite attractive in pots is Coleus .... but one needs to make new cuttings every once in a while, they root really easily. OK in full sun here too!

cSw9oHgOJgCIFM7xP2mAEzrotSTZy9Rr6_io-qUJ

Wow!!  Thanks again.  I live on the ghost road and I'm moving to Plai Leam so It should be easy for me to find the things I need.

I'm hoping to have a beautiful garden soon to match the very traditional 80yr old Thai house.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

Not sure how active this thread is, but it's pretty much the last roll of the dice before I give up & go back to the drawing board...

I'm looking for some help in sourcing some ornamental grass (Imperata Cylindrica). You might know it as Cogon or Blady grass, locally it's known as 'Ya-kha' - they often use it as feed for the fighting bulls. I'm specifically looking for the red cultivar, aka Rubica; Red Baron; Bloodgrass.

I know the natural 'green' strain is considered invasive, but the cultivars are sterile, propagating only through rhyzo's & splitting, hence the reason I can't just buy seeds.

Does anyone know of a stockist or maybe even a good online Malaysian garden site that could send some up?

• 6 months later...

Please - if someone could point me in the right direction - We are In need of a good landscape gardening company,.

I have a large garden area which I would like to get some advice on design and plant choice to ensure all year colour. 

I also have 2 large rooftops - 1 of which I would like to do something along the lines of a Japanise garden , the other using planted grass and flowers.

any advise ? 

Thank you 

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2017 at 12:13 AM, Sauc said:

Thanks again.

That was Jimmys business before he retired, but i am not sure if they grow anything but Pine trees in Canada, and being a grade 2 Yank he does speak English in a funny way. There, hope i have been of help.   lolololololol. Seriously, Jimmy will help you and is not bad for a Canadian.

Archived