Gardening On The Islands

That's about it!

Where can I buy spagnum moss on Samui, if anywhere.

(And, please, admin,before you move this to "gardening on the islands", where it will disappear in a list 419 end-to-end unbroken comments going back to 2009, can you give it a week so I can see if there are any responses?)

Many thanks to Roo and SBK in anticipation,

Rob

you are probably best to order online and get delivered here - http://ukgardensuppl...agnum_Moss.html

you are probably best to order online and get delivered here - http://ukgardensuppl...agnum_Moss.html

Hi Boaty.

Right. You don't know then?

This is much better

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Cheers

R

Edited by robsamui

The gardening forum is a discussion & reference forum. You do not need to read every post, there is a search function you can use. If you are unsure on how to use it, contact forum support.

Chuckle. just done a quick search to see if the topic has been touched on before and got lots of results about computers . . .

Found myself yesterday missing the glorious colours of flaming red acer trees.

But they only get their colours when the seasons (what seasons!) change and autumn comes. This being a tropical clime the quessie is - will maples grow on Samui.

(One of my big boy tomato plants has struggled up to about 14 inches so far . . .)

My feeling is (after an hour on Google that didn't really help) that maples need a temperate climate.

So can anybody hazard an knowledgeable answer - or should I move to Chiang Mai (which I was wondering about doing anyway . . .)(But I''d need to have socks n pullies n things . . .)

Rob

hey Rob,

Not even sure that moving to CM would help finding maples! wink.png It's been a few years since I was up that way, but Maples I don't remember seeing!

Oddly enough there is a plant with dark red Maple (Acer) like leaves, I've seen lately at a resort called New Sunrise Villa in Maenam, off Soi Maenam resort road, on the beach front... same road as India Hot Restaurant and around the corner)... it's a small tree form about 8 to 10 feet high... I know the plant but cannot remember it's name (usually has green leaves, and you see all over Hawaii Islands) ... It's name is something like "Racenna"... I just did a google search, but came up empty, if i remember it's poisonous too! . .... so not quite the right name! huh.png ... of course this would not produce the lovely red foliage of Autumn that some maples would produce! But certainly maple like leaves.

So, hold off the wooly jumper and socks for a while!

BTW I believe in C.M right now, that the Garden Festival, is on, I have never been, but understand it is a worth while event to attend... could be worth a trip!

Edited by samuijimmy

That's about it!

(And, please, admin,before you move this to "gardening on the islands", where it will disappear in a list 419 end-to-end unbroken comments going back to 2009, can you give it a week so I can see if there are any responses?)

Rob

You see moss growing in damp shady places around the island, take a hike & a plastic bag and collect! It will grow back!

Or try using coconut fibre, braided .... assume you want to make hanging baskets????

Chuckle. just done a quick search to see if the topic has been touched on before and got lots of results about computers . . .

But they only get their colours when the seasons (what seasons!) change and autumn comes. This being a tropical clime the quessie is - will maples grow on Samui.

(One of my big boy tomato plants has struggled up to about 14 inches so far . . .)

My feeling is (after an hour on Google that didn't really help) that maples need a temperate climate.

So can anybody hazard an knowledgeable answer - or should I move to Chiang Mai (which I was wondering about doing anyway . . .)(But I''d need to have socks n pullies n things . . .)

Rob

hey Rob,

Not even sure that moving to CM would help finding maples! wink.png It's been a few years since I was up that way, but Maples I don't remember seeing!

Oddly enough there is a plant with dark red Maple (Acer) like leaves, I've seen lately at a resort called New Sunrise Villa in Maenam, off Soi Maenam resort road, on the beach front... same road as India Hot Restaurant and around the corner)... it's a small tree form about 8 to 10 feet high... I know the plant but cannot remember it's name (usually has green leaves, and you see all over Hawaii Islands) ... It's name is something like "Racenna"... I just did a google search, but came up empty, if i remember it's poisonous too! . .... so not quite the right name! huh.png ... of course this would not produce the lovely red foliage of Autumn that some maples would produce! But certainly maple like leaves.

BTW I believe in C.M right now, that the Garden Festival, is on, I have never been, but understand it is a worth while event to attend... could be worth a trip!

Rob

hey Rob,

Hi again Jim.

I was pretty sure that maples are deciduous plants that grow in temperate conditions and a Google search confirms this. (But I might just get a pack of seeds to see what happens!)

I'll take a peek at New Sunrise Villa- be interesting to see what this tree is.

Call me soon re a coffee?

Cheers!

R

That's about it!

Rob

You see moss growing in damp shady places around the island, take a hike & a plastic bag and collect! It will grow back!

Or try using coconut fibre, braided .... assume you want to make hanging baskets????

Hiya.

erm, no, I want it for air-layering. I am on a steep learning curve here (and everyone and his dog is an expert with vids on You Tube) so I'm getting contradictory information.

Some experts say use a potting compost, the majority say use spag moss and opinion varies as to whether to bind it as tight as you can with cling film or to leave it loose cos the forming roots need oxygen. I've never seen spag moss used or stocked in any of the (many) nurseries that I call into so I assumed that if it was available then it'd be used! Spag moss is fibrous and not dense so it would seem ideal - plus it has nutrients.

(The eBay dried compressed spag moss looks good; going to try it . . .)

I'm going to try coconut fibres (coir) to see what happens - although my feeling is that it'll hold water OK but not have the needed nourishment. My landlady is getting me three 7-11 carriers full for 50 baht today. What the hell! I'll mix it 70-30 with potting compost and see if it works.

I have a 7-year old bougainvillia that's topping 40 feet right now so I want to reduce/thin it and take cutting for bonsais at the same time.

Is there anywhere you reckon I should take a hike to . . .?

Answers on a postcard to . . .

Rob

just mix the coir with some compost. if you don't have any compost, buy a bag of vermicompost from home pro for less than 150thb.

soak the coir real good first, several hours or overnight even to make sure it's saturated. p.s. i'm no expert and i have no vids on youtube to disprove that.

Hi again Jim.

I was pretty sure that maples are deciduous plants that grow in temperate conditions and a Google search confirms this. (But I might just get a pack of seeds to see what happens!)

Cheers!

R

Yes, Maples AKA Acer to those who speak Latin! tongue.png is a deciduous tree, in many shapes and forms... that require a temperate climate.... some even a cold climate as with the Sugar Maples of Eastern north American....

The Japanese types are smaller and more what you are after, but many of these are grafted and will not grow from seed generally... (well at least not necessarily what you might want... but some seedlings could produce something new and interesting, but not a subject for this forum.... we'll have to many confused readers)..... blink.pngbiggrin.png They will not grow here!

That plant at New Sunrise, is to the right of the office / restaurant. It is definitely not a Maple... I thought about the name all day, but it did not come to me! ohmy.png

Now will that coffee come after the case of beer from Mr Rooo and Mr Joe? I have been waiting a long time for that to happened.... laugh.pngwink.png

Had problem with "quote tags" here, so may be a bit screwed up in reply!

That's about it!

Rob

Hiya.

erm, no, I want it for air-layering. I am on a steep learning curve here (and everyone and his dog is an expert with vids on You Tube) so I'm getting contradictory information.

Some experts say use a potting compost, the majority say use spag moss and opinion varies as to whether to bind it as tight as you can with cling film or to leave it loose cos the forming roots need oxygen. I've never seen spag moss used or stocked in any of the (many) nurseries that I call into so I assumed that if it was available then it'd be used! Spag moss is fibrous and not dense so it would seem ideal - plus it has nutrients.

(The eBay dried compressed spag moss looks good; going to try it . . .)

I'm going to try coconut fibres (coir) to see what happens - although my feeling is that it'll hold water OK but not have the needed nourishment. My landlady is getting me three 7-11 carriers full for 50 baht today. What the hell! I'll mix it 70-30 with potting compost and see if it works.

I have a 7-year old bougainvillia that's topping 40 feet right now so I want to reduce/thin it and take cutting for bonsais at the same time.

Is there anywhere you reckon I should take a hike to . . .?

Answers on a postcard to . . .

Rob

Emmm er... well many ways to "skin a cat"... the locals just use coconut fibre, that I have seen anyways.... the trick is to keep it moist at all times, while it is rooting....(that could be several months)

It becomes a case of remembering which plants you did, so they are not out of sight out of mind! (been there, tried that!!!)

Wrap the coconut fibre or moss with plastic wrap, .... (moss.... is not that hard to find around here, especially on rocks near streams in shady areas)...

The other way to try this is if the branches reach the ground, to make a slit into the stem and put a rock on it....and bury with some soil over it... ( the way some people would layer Rhododendrons etc..in colder areas.) You'd still need to make sure it does not dry out.... wink.png

I think ordering moss from ebay is going a bit over board!!!! rolleyes.gif

Now will that coffee come after the case of beer from Mr Rooo and Mr Joe? I have been waiting a long time for that to happened.... laugh.png wink.png

Never lol , I posted a picture of tomato bush on the island. I think you owe us a case of beer.

just mix the coir with some compost. if you don't have any compost, buy a bag of vermicompost from home pro for less than 150thb.

soak the coir real good first, several hours or overnight even to make sure it's saturated. p.s. i'm no expert and i have no vids on youtube to disprove that.

Thanks Joe!

R

Hi again Jim.

Cheers!

R

Yes, Maples AKA Acer to those who speak Latin! tongue.png is a deciduous tree, in many shapes and forms... that require a temperate climate.... some even a cold climate as with the Sugar Maples of Eastern north American....

The Japanese types are smaller and more what you are after, but many of these are grafted and will not grow from seed generally... (well at least not necessarily what you might want... but some seedlings could produce something new and interesting, but not a subject for this forum.... we'll have to many confused readers)..... blink.pngbiggrin.png They will not grow here!

That plant at New Sunrise, is to the right of the office / restaurant. It is definitely not a Maple... I thought about the name all day, but it did not come to me! ohmy.png

Now will that coffee come after the case of beer from Mr Rooo and Mr Joe? I have been waiting a long time for that to happened.... laugh.pngwink.png

Hi again Jim.

Cheers!

R

So it's not only me . . .

R

Me too so I just cut all the quotes.

Hi again Jimbo.

Only 100 baht a litre, post paid . . . compressed dehydrated spag moss . . .

Regarding the creeping "Japanese Ivy' - it's not a ficus of any sort at all!

Its a cactus.

Hooo hoo!

There's an utterly superb website I've found where lots of experts reply right away with spot-on observations. And it's all sub-divided into topics and headings and replies and folders which are dead easy to navigate. Particularly when it comes to tropical plants. And there's a Tropical Plant Identification section. I'll send you the link via a PM just in case I infringe some sort of forum protocol or upset people.

Anyway it's a 'cat's claw vine'. Otherwise known as Macfadyena unguis-cati.

I'll give you a plantlet if you buy me a coffee!

The guys on the forum say that once established it grows like Rosemary's Baby and has to be checked otherwise the claws rip the surface off the concrete when they topple over due to their weight!

Check your mail.

Cheers jim,

Rob

Edited by robsamui

There's an utterly superb website I've found where lots of experts reply right away with spot-on observations. And it's all sub-divided into topics and headings and replies and folders which are dead easy to navigate.

Thaivisa is not set up to section off a topic. It is sectioned off in forums & posted topics in these forums, covering a multitude of topics & subjects.

I am glad that you have found a Plant dedicated forum that suits your requirements, sectioned just as you require.

• 2 weeks later...

OK enough about tomatoes! coffee1.gif The next member to mention tomatoes will have to come weed my garden for a month! biggrin.png

I have been looking around some of the Samui garden centres / Nurseries, lately, ones that I have often driven by and not stopped at... But some of them have some interesting plants, ones that you see as mature plants but can never usually find.

One place, I stopped at today, was on the road off the Lomparayah ferry, road headed toward Soi Maenam resort road, she had some nice larger plants there... No sign but obviously a nursery... lady there spoke good English, clean place and some interesting plants.

Another is the Nursery just before the Raja Ferry turn off, "Samui Plant Centre," they have a fairly good selection of large and small plants... quite helpful in there too....

There is a second nursery just south of Nanthon south of the Immigration traffic lights that has a good orchid collection... The other orchid nursery is as coming into Nanthon just after the 7-11 coming from Maenam.

There is a smaller nursery near the Maenam post office, that's not too bad for quality, reasonable selection. (opposite side to PO in that general area....)

All these places have something different, but the thing to be aware of is not bothering to buy plants suitable to the northern Thailand cooler climate.... Petunias, Begonias, Hydrangeas,etc etc (stuff, those who lived in cooler climates would be used to growing) .... They just don't last long here.... I always ask if they come from "Chaing Mai" when "yes".... then usually (not always) are plants to avoid.....

For those on Koh Phangan, there are several nurseries, that have a pretty good selection, most in the Ban Tai area, but there are others dotted about the island.

One problem the nurseries are having at the moment, is there are short supplies, because of the floods in November around BKK, some plants are in short supply or just impossible to get until they are able to sort out the mess and get new production going....

On a different note:

I'd love to hear from anyone on the islands at HIGHER elevations that keeps track of night temperatures.... (max / min thermometer needed!)

Since January 1st the temperature at my house has not gone below 24c, I am very curious to know from anyone who lives up in the higher elevations, what temperatures you get at night.... (consistently getting around 18 c at night would make a huge difference to using some of the cooler climate plants... ) .... I realize there are too many places to far up the mountains / hills, but perhaps someone could help there! smile.png

There are a lot of nice blooming shrubs and trees around at the moment.... one of the best times of the year for plants in bloom!

Happy Gardening!

Spiders seem to be kiiling my tree!

Well, that is what it looks like. A 10m tree in the garden is covered in spider webs, often hanging meters down to the grass. Leaves are falling off in whole bunches, and my googling seems to indicate that it could be a spider mite. Not sure if this a seasonal thing or not, as I have not spent a full year in the place.

Anybody else seen the same thing? And, more importantly, is anyone aware of a solution that doesn't involve me imitating a monkey and breaking my neck in the process.

Well, that is what it looks like. A 10m tree in the garden is covered in spider webs, often hanging meters down to the grass. Leaves are falling off in whole bunches, and my googling seems to indicate that it could be a spider mite. Not sure if this a seasonal thing or not, as I have not spent a full year in the place.

Anybody else seen the same thing? And, more importantly, is anyone aware of a solution that doesn't involve me imitating a monkey and breaking my neck in the process.

Hmmm ...... just been spraying the lower branches, and a few little caterpillars slid down the webs. Maybe it is not spiders at all. And loads of little black specks on the ground too.

Hmmm ...... just been spraying the lower branches, and a few little caterpillars slid down the webs. Maybe it is not spiders at all. And loads of little black specks on the ground too.

Oh you do have problems!!! ohmy.pngmellow.png

I was just seeing what Wiki had to say..... Spider mites usually don't like high humidity, which we have now... and most times of the year here.... and not something that would cause the damage you first described, I am pretty certain of that. Spider mites are not same same as spiders....

... Mites are usually very small although webs can be visible .... It almost sounds as though it is partly a fungus problem and some form of insect /caterpillar....weakened plants are usually attacked before healthy ones.... This is a large tree, therefore is going to be difficult to manage.... at thirty feet / 10 metres.

Fungus problems and branch die back could be caused by poor pruning cuts allowing decease into the tree.... that could have been going on for a while.... hacked limbs would be a tell tale sign. ... machete cuts for pruning is not good! ... but so common here.

You might want to put some of the insects and or leaves into a plastic bag and pop down to one of the Garden Centres, that sell insecticide (Maenam shop does, .... some don't) and see what they suggest...

Fungicides are very difficult to find here... and I'd suggest maybe too complex for the "home gardener" to use... you may need to hire a professional if it can be determined what the real cause is...

Be aware also, that all trees do shred there old foliage at least once a year....(even evergreens trees or shrubs, which most are here..... some are doing that now... therefore falling leaves could be just part of the process of nature.... The new foliage could be fine... very rarely do plants die from an insect attack.

A picture or two posted here could help...???

I hope you are not more confused than before! smile.pngw00t.gif

Not at all. I think! It was pruned/hacked when I was away last December. And last month a couple of dead branches fell down. So the fungus thing/idea seems to make sense. The leaves are not falling normally. Couple of weeks back it was the odd one or two, now it is whole bunches - some stuck together with caterpillars inside. And shrubs underneath seem to be losing leaves too. Once they have been munched to bits!

Only have a small garden, but don't want it spreading further. Will speak to the owner and see if we can get it inspected.

Thanks for the thoughts SJ!

Not at all. I think! It was pruned/hacked when I was away last December. And last month a couple of dead branches fell down. So the fungus thing/idea seems to make sense. The leaves are not falling normally. Couple of weeks back it was the odd one or two, now it is whole bunches - some stuck together with caterpillars inside. And shrubs underneath seem to be losing leaves too. Once they have been munched to bits!

Only have a small garden, but don't want it spreading further. Will speak to the owner and see if we can get it inspected.

Thanks for the thoughts SJ!

Ah! More thoughts..... now you made the picture clearer! ...... Well if caterpillars making nests in the leaves, same as red ants that sting.... sad.pngbiggrin.png

Try using a household insecticide, Tesco brand works... spray what leaf areas you can... and spray around the bark of the tree... although Chaindite (black and orange spray can) will work too, (has the long nozzle to attach) perhaps better as it is more residual ...spray around the trunk.... and that will catch the little blitters running up and down the trunk..... (probably at night.... ph34r.png ) .... But the tree will survive insects if you don't want to spray....

But insecticide won't help with fungus problems.... blink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Not at all. I think! It was pruned/hacked when I was away last December. And last month a couple of dead branches fell down. So the fungus thing/idea seems to make sense. The leaves are not falling normally. Couple of weeks back it was the odd one or two, now it is whole bunches - some stuck together with caterpillars inside. And shrubs underneath seem to be losing leaves too. Once they have been munched to bits! Only have a small garden, but don't want it spreading further. Will speak to the owner and see if we can get it inspected. Thanks for the thoughts SJ!

we have some fantastic insecticide/fungicides growing and/or readily available right here. chances are you have a sadao (neem) tree growing very close to you, they are all over this area and of course there is the sadao border to the south for a reason. neem is fantastic because it becomes a part of the plant and any chewing or biting pests will slowly die off after eating a leaf.

garlic is also very good, crush it up and put it in some warm water with regular dish soap and put that into a sprayer attached to a hose and you are all set. also, you can go down to 7-11 and get a pouch or two of cigarette tobacco (unrolled), this is perhaps one of the best of all times for killing off undesireable bugs, just don't put it on your garden veggies without checking first for compatibility.

a splash of apple cider vinegar in some water is also very effective and most importantly, natural.

when it comes to watering the plants or flowers i follow one rule, lawn at night and veggies/flowers/trees in the early morning.

Not too sure how these pictures are going to look. But there is the tree, and then a clump of leaves as they have fallen, and then a couple that fell individually, showing the damage before total death! Of course, a caterpillar was too shy to show a face.

Got the pest control guys coming round tomorrow morning. Will let you know what they think.

Thanks for the ideas, the size of the tree - with damage from top to bottom - makes me think a simple sprayer is not going to be enough!

post-89478-0-58086700-1332148019_thumb.jpost-89478-0-43795900-1332148161_thumb.jpost-89478-0-30848400-1332148216_thumb.j

Edited by itishothere

*backs away from tree slowly, never taking eyes off of it...

agreed, a simple sprayer may not be the solution. do we have any arborists on samui?

do you have a high pressure sprayer? you can pick them up at home pro for a few thousand bath and they'll let you mix up a solution (i prefer natural or organic always but i have kids to think about) of neem and tobacco and i guarantee no bug in that tree will survive it. good bug or bad bug doesn't matter, you can make organic "nuclear blast solutions" that will leave nothing but leaves behind. you'll still have to deal with the roots though because those leaves don't look particularly deficient, they look systemically rotten. personally i would fill up one of those 99 baht (75L or so?) black bins from tesco/home pro with sadao leaves and fruit and then start adding water, cover it and let it sit for a day or two and then start siphoning off the water around the base of the tree. refill the sadao barrel with water and then repeat.

that is considering you are emotionally invested in this tree.

btw i would handle any caterpillars you find in that tree with care. there are plenty of poisonous caterpillars here on samui. probably a year ago a couple of them found their way into my hand when i was carrying away some pruned branches and they left thousands of poisonous hairs in my hand, my hand was swollen and itchy for a month after.

my neighbor wasn't so lucky, he was pruning one of his trees and one of the caterpillars fell onto his face. he needed immediate medical attention and almost lost an eye.

Thanks for the advice joe84330. (Or can I call you joe?laugh.png )

My garden is infected with killer caterpillars??ohmy.pnglaugh.png *closes windows*

To be honest I am not sure I could ever be emotionally attached to a tree, but it is (was?) a fine tree, and besides I do not want to spend the next 3 months raking up dead leaves! I guess you could say I am financially attached to all the plants I have bought from the garden center which were doing so well and now seem to be slowly dying underneath it! sad.png I have inherited some great plants, I just don't want them to suffer the same fate.

I am renting, so it will be the owners call on what will/can be done. I know he invested a lot of time and money into making the garden as good as it is, so will do the best possible. He has organised the pest control experts to inspect tomorrow, so hopefully they will know what action to take. If I don't post for a few days, the caterpillars may have got me!wacko.pnglaugh.png

oh thanks Joe, very helpful...wink.png. although not sure about the fungicide qualities of Neem... certainly does well on insects. It is available in ready made form as BS 2 or 3.... in small brown bottles, I know for sure the Maenam Garden Centre usually has it. Ask them which is "Sadao"... I never remember which it is BS 1, 2 or 3....

Yes, there are number of Neem trees about... as long as you know what you are looking for! unsure.png and follow Joe's instructions

Baking Soda would help, perhaps??? , usually used for helping prevent black spot on Roses.

I also found out lately that some Thai's use baking soda for washing vegetables... available at some Pharmacies, but probably cheaper at Tesco, Makro, or Big C.... I've never heard of that before...

As for tobacco, certainly keep that away from errrrrmmmm..... Tomato plants....(NOT compatible) oh now I have to weed my garden for a month! mad.giflaugh.png

Here is a Home made insect killer that was posted back in June 2010... I've got lazy in making this... I did that year! It did work ... I've noted a couple of substitutions with type of Vinegar, oil and chillies for Tabasco...

Makes 4 Gallons mix with water

Blend the following ingredients in a blender!

1/4 Cup of White Vinegar ( I don't think the kind of Vinegar would matter)

1Tblspoon Baking Soda (BiCarb)

1Teaspoon Coconut Oil ... (cooking oil would work also)

1 Teaspoon Washing Up Liquid

1 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce (substitute with Chillies)

Juice of 10 Crushed Garlic Cloves

To Itsohothere (boy ... you need an easier name to type... smile.png)

Some of the larger garden service companies have fogger sprayers, that reach a fair way up... also fogs the neighbourhood, too...blink.png I have no idea what they use for "chemicals" ... but you might find out when you talk to the arbourist... they always seem to fog my neighbours at lunch time.... bah.gif

I suspect part of the of the big tree die back problem could be a result of last year's heavy rain we got in March... ? ... it will be interesting to hear what they say... But that could be part of the problem, tree weaken as a result of too much water.... I've seen a few large trees die since that happened.... including a very large Neem tree near the Maenan Temple...

Yours may pull through... did it sit in water for a long period during and after that storm ???? So many factors to consider... as causes not always easy to determine reasons...

Gardening is not always easy to sort out problems!

Edited by samuijimmy

hey Jimmy, neem is a fungicide as well but like anything else it can only prevent from the start or stop something in its tracks. if your plant or tree is already damaged, nothing is going to reverse it. better to get the neem/vinegar on the plant first and then prune it to be sure.

apple cider vinegar which i mentioned above is also a fungicide. not more than 1 or at most 2 tbsp per gallon of water though or else you end up with an herbicide.

i remember more than a year or so ago asking around in here for neem oil and it was astonishingly difficult to find for something that turned out to be so readily available. have a large tree near my house. i don't buy neem at any nurseries any more because they tend to mix it with growth hormone in one case or other insecticides in others. i just want neem (sadao) and i'll address the other issues when and if they present themselves.

if you can get the fruit, that's perhaps the best and strongest to use but the leaves in my experience work very well too. in fact the next time i start a garden project here the mulch will be primarily neem leaves.

keeping your soil healthy and alive is the best cure for any disease.