Gardening On The Islands

Joe, can you show a picture? IPhone quality will do.

Greetz

GP

sure, attached. i just took this from the top down, it stands 6ft tall and nearly that wide.

considering i pulled (or thought i did) that plant approximately 6 months ago, i'm really impressed with it. seems determined to be there so i'll work around it.

the people i talked to called it bonsai, so i asked them to write it in thai just to make sure i wasn't misunderstanding anything and it is what it is.

That picture helped a little...

Fairly common to see growing in the jungle, this one, I tried three times going through my book and it's not listed... :(

I have several around my garden too... especially nice with the sun coming through the leaves....... It's not too difficult to dig up and move it.

Over to SBK or German primrose for the name... :D one less beer for me!!! ;)

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Joe, I think your little big survivor belongs to the alocasia family. My guess is Alocasia macrorrhizos:

http://www.pacificbu...ex.php/Alocasia

http://www.spicegard...ia-macrorrhizos

http://en.wikipedia....ia_macrorrhizos

Looks great btw!

Greetz

GP

sure looks like it. curious why it's referred to as "bonsai" though. maybe since they survive but are stunted with less sun?

the first version of this one that i moved is going strong but seems far less happy than in its original location. oops.

Jimmy, those thorns look frightening! :blink: I can understand that the Thai bite back...:rolleyes:

Does it go to sleep, i.e. are its leaves reacting to the touch?

It could be the above-mentioned Leucaena leucocephala IF that one had thorns...maybe someone just has to find a better description.

It could also be a Mimosa pudica if its leaves are sensitive and IF there are white-blooming ones...I mostly find pink ones on the web...those definitely have thorns.

Another guess is Mimosa polycarpa var. spegazzinii but again no hint towards thorns. Could still have some though.

http://www.gartendat...imosa-polycarpa

And my last guesses are Acacia villosa or some other acacia:

http://08hachi.blogs...ia-villosa.html

Greetz

GP

Hi,

Joe, I think your little big survivor belongs to the alocasia family. My guess is Alocasia macrorrhizos:

http://www.pacificbu...ex.php/Alocasia

http://www.spicegard...ia-macrorrhizos

http://en.wikipedia....ia_macrorrhizos

Looks great btw!

Greetz

GP

sure looks like it. curious why it's referred to as "bonsai" though. maybe since they survive but are stunted with less sun?

the first version of this one that i moved is going strong but seems far less happy than in its original location. oops.

give it time Joe, give it time! I think you'll find it will perk up more next year...

The ones I see growing in the "jungle"... well it depends on how much sunlight they get... There are some near the hut at the Secret Waterfalls, off Soi 5 which only get a bit of sun but seem to do OK... but then too, it's fairly open there... so "bright shade" B)

Replied with your post in bold!

Jimmy, those thorns look frightening! :blink: I can understand that the Thai bite back...:rolleyes: Yeah just like a rose, but not so pretty... :D

Does it go to sleep, i.e. are its leaves reacting to the touch? NO!!!

We have the sensitive plant, which is a bloody nuisance when it grows into the lawns.... it has more of a reddish leaf than the Mimosa pictured in your link.... They have thorns or barbs, pain in the as ... or feet if you sit or stand on them! Seeds its self and creeps along the ground..... but can reach about 30cm (12" high) :annoyed::)

It could be the above-mentioned Leucaena leucocephala IF that one had thorns...maybe someone just has to find a better description.

It could also be a Mimosa pudica if its leaves are sensitive and IF there are white-blooming ones...I mostly find pink ones on the web...those definitely have thorns.

Another guess is Mimosa polycarpa var. spegazzinii but again no hint towards thorns. Could still have some though.

http://www.gartendat...imosa-polycarpa

And my last guesses are Acacia villosa or some other acacia:

http://08hachi.blogs...ia-villosa.html

Ah the Acacia grows here, another one they eat the leaves, but not same same, I don't think.... seeds it's self everywhere.... the ones I know grow to about 20 feet....[i] ummm about 6 metres.... [/i]

Greetz

GP

We have the sensitive plant, which is a bloody nuisance when it grows into the lawns.... it has more of a reddish leaf than the Mimosa pictured in your link.... They have thorns or barbs, pain in the as ... or feet if you sit or stand on them! Seeds its self and creeps along the ground..... but can reach about 30cm (12" high) :annoyed::)

Ha...! And I pay 5 Euros for a tiny one in a 5 cm pot?! Never again...

Next! :D

Yeah...more 'next', more beer ;)

Greetz

GP

sure, attached. i just took this from the top down, it stands 6ft tall and nearly that wide.

considering i pulled (or thought i did) that plant approximately 6 months ago, i'm really impressed with it. seems determined to be there so i'll work around it.

the people i talked to called it bonsai, so i asked them to write it in thai just to make sure i wasn't misunderstanding anything and it is what it is.

No idea, could be they don't know the name, not every Thai person is clued up on plant names, Alocasia is gra daht in Thai.

A similar plant, with pointier ends the Colocasia, is gla dah

Jimmy, I give up - let's call it 'Spike' and chew it to pieces...or not :D

Agreed, not important to get to every last detail on everything.... this only started off trying to give a leaf description .... :jap:

Recognize the plant, don't know the name in English. I have just always called it that nasty thorny plant :D

Greetz

GP

No idea, could be they don't know the name, not every Thai person is clued up on plant names, Alocasia is gra daht in Thai.

gra daht eh? i will make sure to pass that on to the head of landscaping.

you pay 5 euros for a small mimosa?

i have to bribe my kids to pull it out of the lawn every two weeks or else it will cover the place. what a pain in the keister that thing is.

you pay 5 euros for a small mimosa?

i have to bribe my kids to pull it out of the lawn every two weeks or else it will cover the place. what a pain in the keister that thing is.

Yiks at 5 Euro each, perhaps there is an opportunity here :D But the ones I remember sold in the west, did not have thorns? Too long ago to remember! ;)

One way to stop them spreading all over is to keep them from flowering and seeding... but then you'd have kids under your feet Joe, with nothing to do :lol:

Picture of Sensitive plant ...click here

hm, not sure which is worse? mimosa growing throughout my lawn or three kids with nothing to do...

We used to have a simple remedy. Get the kids to wee on the plants.

Hi,

Yiks at 5 Euro each, perhaps there is an opportunity here :D But the ones I remember sold in the west, did not have thorns? Too long ago to remember! ;)

Right! Does have thorns.

I killed my mini plant. :annoyed: Got some new mimosas a friend of mine grew from seeds, and I am struggling hard to keep them alive. Doesn't look good!

I regularly give one to my step-niece who is delighted by the funny go-to-sleep mode...she usually waters it until it almost dies and then forgets about it so that it dies from thirst. Just like me. Hard to believe we're no blood relatives. :rolleyes:

Weeds, huh...

hm, not sure which is worse? mimosa growing throughout my lawn or three kids with nothing to do...

We used to have a simple remedy. Get the kids to wee on the plants.

Well does girl pee do the same as girl doggy pee? Leave yellow patches in the lawn? :lol:

oh we are digressing here... things slow on the TV boards now? ;)

Greetz

GP

gra daht eh? i will make sure to pass that on to the head of landscaping.

The little "know it all kid" next door, backs up SBK's version.... not sure if he was trying to say gra daht or gla dah... but that sure is close... :)

This is a picture of my black stemmed version, does not seem to get as tall as the green leaf version....

Black stemmed variety picture: Click here

Agreed, WOW! and s few names of some plants I have been looking for I.E the climbing lily... those have been blooming for quite a while now...

Plus you have a few that have not caught my eye, yet! :blink:

Well done Angiud! :clap2:

Interesting to see how you have those linked through Flicker... and showing up on your post...

It's so time consuming resizing down images and then uploading here... I've been using the lazy mans approach lately, and just linking through my Picasa site.

Here's my version of the Peacock flower taken yesterday... beautiful plant and blooms most times of the year! One of my favorite small trees!

Surprised this one uploaded, usually tells me file size too large! :o

Warning! anyone with slow modem may find this picture of mine takes too long to open....

post-85461-0-58836900-1323357967_thumb.j

Actually it is not called a climbing lily, sorry angiud, it is a Glory Lily or Fire or Flame Lily, dao dueng in Thai, Gloriosa Superba rotschildiana.

The peacock flower is also called dwarf poinciana (for obvious reasons) Nok yoong Thai in Thai.

Pitcher plants grow wild in swampy areas and used to be everywhere here before people started filling in land for building.

Actually it is not called a climbing lily, sorry angiud, it is a Glory Lily or Fire or Flame Lily, dao dueng in Thai, Gloriosa Superba rotschildiana.

The peacock flower is also called dwarf poinciana (for obvious reasons) Nok yoong Thai in Thai.

Pitcher plants grow wild in swampy areas and used to be everywhere here before people started filling in land for building.

really glad to see that "glory/fire/flame lily" photo posted here. i've got a few blooming right now around the yard and they are frickin spectacular. didn't know the name until now, thanks.

WARNING!

6176223541_af24f6f949_m.jpg

Climbing Lily

From Wikipedia:

While all parts of the Gloriosa contain colchicine, the roots have the highest concentration of the toxin. One-tenth of an ounce of Gloriosa root can be fatal to an adult

PS:

The most common English names are flame lily, fire lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, superb lily, climbing lily, and creeping lily.
:rolleyes:

WARNING!

Climbing Lily

From Wikipedia:

While all parts of the Gloriosa contain colchicine, the roots have the highest concentration of the toxin. One-tenth of an ounce of Gloriosa root can be fatal to an adult

PS:

The most common English names are flame lily, fire lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, superb lily, climbing lily, and creeping lily.

great! looks like i found a local alternative to curare for my poison tipped blowgun darts!

WARNING!

Climbing Lily

From Wikipedia:

PS:

great! looks like i found a local alternative to curare for my poison tipped blowgun darts!

Well just don't use it on your kids Joe, when they get under your feet!

Thanks or posting more fantastic pictures Anguid, and adding the information.... epecially about the poison lily....

Another plant common here and is toxic is Caladium. Picture of Caladium ... click here...

I've never seen it called climbing lily, so you learn something new every day. I doubt its very common tho since the number of hits on glory lily far outweighs those of climbing lily.

Anyway, as stated it is poisonous but I've never heard of any Thai kids dying from it, or eating it for that matter and it grows wild around the island.

Another one is the Oleander, I have a spectacular tree that I have grown for many years. Had some Germans at our place letting their kids run wild in the garden, breaking plants etc and when they started in on the oleander I said, you might want to stop your kids, that is poisonous. Was quite annoyed that they felt it was ok to let their kids run riot in my garden so I didn't mention that you had to eat quite a bit for it to actually be poisonous :D

Archived