Gardening On The Islands

good morning jimmy, quite sure this one wasn't bees as it left row after row after row, literally hundreds if not thousands of hairs/needles in the skin of both of my hands. my long time resident expat neighbor concurs with the hairy caterpillar assumption, says he was having a party a few years back and while cleaning his yard one of the dam_n things dropped out of a tree and onto his face, right below his eye. the hairs left behind as well as the swelling and intense itching are identical in both our cases.

wish i'd have seen the dam_n things, i apparently grabbed one in each hand. as uncomfortable as this is though i think i got the better end of the deal as they have all been cremated.

i do have gardening gloves but i rarely ever use them. when this event happened i wasn't even wearing any sandals either, just bare foot and barehanded working in the yard. love it.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good morning jimmy, quite sure this one wasn't bees as it left row after row after row, literally hundreds if not thousands of hairs/needles in the skin of both of my hands. my long time resident expat neighbor concurs with the hairy caterpillar assumption, says he was having a party a few years back and while cleaning his yard one of the dam_n things dropped out of a tree and onto his face, right below his eye. the hairs left behind as well as the swelling and intense itching are identical in both our cases.

wish i'd have seen the dam_n things, i apparently grabbed one in each hand. as uncomfortable as this is though i think i got the better end of the deal as they have all been cremated.

i do have gardening gloves but i rarely ever use them. when this event happened i wasn't even wearing any sandals either, just bare foot and barehanded working in the yard. love it.

I am the same when it comes to gloves, hate wearing them! But with all the glass and nails around gardens, do wear at least Holey Soles!

When my neighbor kid (same one who gets stung all the time) gets back from skool, I'll ask him if he knows what it might be... he knows everything when it comes to gardening and bugs!

Were the caterpillars black striped about 1" long?

Vinegar sometimes takes a bit of the sting out, at least for a short time... also Ammonia, but never found that here.... Ice packs (wrapped in towel) may help take the swelling down too....

hm i should have thought about vinegar, i keep some around the house in case of jellyfish stings. intense itching and swelling, good thing there's no ring on my finger haha. i only have an idea that they were caterpillars, i was sleeping on the job and never saw the culprits.

hm i should have thought about vinegar, i keep some around the house in case of jellyfish stings. intense itching and swelling, good thing there's no ring on my finger haha. i only have an idea that they were caterpillars, i was sleeping on the job and never saw the culprits.

Sleeping or drinking on the job? :rolleyes::lol:

Well, little Mr Little "now it all", (my 12 year old neighbour kid,) says maybe a thing called "Boong" (as close as I can get the Thai word, his father backed that up) which I assume might mean caterpillar? (where is SBK when we need her?) ;)

... or there are orangy / red millipede type things too, which one occasionally sees... some times up to 6 inches long....X 1/4" wide... they can get a nasty sting / bite too, not that I have experience that yet, but gather it is rather painful.....

Then of course there are scorpions around too... I think they do the same....

The kid's Mamma, said to put talcum powder on it! I think I would still use the "ice packs" if still swollen...

Just a foot note: In case anyone on Samui reading this, is ever bitten by a snake, go to the Hospital in Nanthon, the only hospital on the Island that has anti-venom ... I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

As requested, I post the link about my pictures about local animals and plants of Koh Phangan HERE :).

I hope the pictures could be of some utility or just bring a better knowledge on our beautiful flora and fauna.

• 2 weeks later...

One for our resident expert - SamuiJimmy.:D

I want a hedge that will grow in the dark!

OK. I am fond of my neighbours, but would rather not see them all the time. I have a balcony, about 2m long and 40cm wide. It is concrete and strong enough to support people sat on it. It is very shaded, no direct sunlight, and no natural water. On it I want a hedge that is dense enough to block out the view. Ideally up to 1.5m high from pot to top. Several pots or a 'trough' for me to water would be fine. Ideally I don't want it to grow vertically in such a way so that in a years time all I see is the trunks. Or twigs. Or whatever hedges stand on.:ermm:

The only alternative I can think of is a washing line with towels on it, but that really isn't what I want!:lol:

So, any thoughts ot suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am happy to water and trim and talk to it if required. Green seems to be the 'in' colour, but I am not averse to red, or yellow. Or stripes.:D

One for our resident expert - SamuiJimmy.:D

I want a hedge that will grow in the dark!

OK. I am fond of my neighbours, but would rather not see them all the time. I have a balcony, about 2m long and 40cm wide. It is concrete and strong enough to support people sat on it. It is very shaded, no direct sunlight, and no natural water. On it I want a hedge that is dense enough to block out the view. Ideally up to 1.5m high from pot to top. Several pots or a 'trough' for me to water would be fine. Ideally I don't want it to grow vertically in such a way so that in a years time all I see is the trunks. Or twigs. Or whatever hedges stand on.

The only alternative I can think of is a washing line with towels on it, but that really isn't what I want!

So, any thoughts ot suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am happy to water and trim and talk to it if required. Green seems to be the 'in' colour, but I am not averse to red, or yellow. Or stripes.

hmmm ... Suggesting plants for shaded areas always a tough one to answer, as there is bright shade and dark shade and all shades in between... some plants are more tolerant than others.:rolleyes:

You start off with plants that will grow in the dark... but reading on things seem to get a bit brighter!!!! B)

I would suggest going down to your local Nursery and see what they have displayed in the shade area section... most nurseries have areas covered with black plastic shade clothe.....

A number of plants come to mind, but not what you would call "formal hedge" plants.... I'll throw out a few names, problem is here that they tend to use none western names and no Latin names... except my first suggestion which is:

Ferns, there are a number of taller growing varieties available, but not sure if you have the space for there width as well as height. They do spread their wings :DSame name in Thai

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) There is dwarf type so, be careful not to choose that one! They have a single white "flower" petal ... should about reach the height you need... Vase growing habit.... seem to bloom twice a year here... if you click the link, there are many varieties you find a choice of two or three here!

So many types, click here

Dieffenbachia (AKA as "Dumb Cane") Can cause mouth swelling from sap....... may not be good if young kids about, although it's a very common plant here, also in the west where sold as house plant.... One variety you see a lot used here has green with white centered large leaves... seems to do OK for me in just getting early morning sun... they are quite striking, in their looks. Variety "Camellia"... is nice... look at picture and you'll know it when you see at nursery!:unsure:

Picture here...

Pothus, which if grown upright gets larger leaves than if grown as a "hanging plant or creeper / ground cover" .... heart shaped leaf with yellow specks... if grown up a supporting post.. most nurseries have them ready started... slow to establish from my experience, though.... you may need those towels hanging on the line....:whistling:

Asplenium nidus 'Victoria' /Victoria Birdnest Fern

One of the best of the tropical ferns that grows well in reduced light ... do you have the space? They have big wings..... ;)

Birds nest fern

As for plants that will be red, or yellow. Or stripes..... will that be Silk or Plastic...?? :D

I would try mixing a few things for colour and texture....

Hope that helps a little.....

As usual, some great ideas there SJ. Many thanks for posting.:D

I will have a look around the nurseries under the black sheets and see what I can find. Altering texture and colours is also an excellent suggestion. I will postpone my visit to Tescos for the towels.

Thanks again.:clap2: :jap:

]th_034-1.jpg

Does anyone know what this flower is called? I'm practicing with adding pictures I hope it works..

It's called "Hymenocallis" I don't have a common name for it, there is also a variagated form of it as well... but I find variegated on gets eaten by slugs or something, more than the green version.

It blooms about twice a year for me, quite an interesting flower. Needs more sun than shade.

It can be divided quite easily...

More pictures would be good, this worked well... I never seem to find the time to do as many as I would like... resizing always tedious!:)

Mine in the morning sun, flowered 3 times so far this year, ones in the shade once I think.

]th_034-1.jpg

Does anyone know what this flower is called? I'm practicing with adding pictures I hope it works..

It's called "Hymenocallis" I don't have a common name for it, there is also a variagated form of it as well... but I find variegated on gets eaten by slugs or something, more than the green version.

It blooms about twice a year for me, quite an interesting flower. Needs more sun than shade.

It can be divided quite easily...

More pictures would be good, this worked well... I never seem to find the time to do as many as I would like... resizing always tedious!:)

Mine in the morning sun, flowered 3 times so far this year, ones in the shade once I think.

The amount of light can affect blooming, perhaps now the sun has shifted ever so slightly from south side to north side, it can really make a difference... with some plants...

A few plants I have in pots I have to shift around from one side of house to the other... to keep them in shade...

My "Hymenocallis" is planted on the west side of the house and only gets afternoon sun, seen blooming a few times, this year, I think cooler temperatures and rainy period are a factor as well.

I notice with Bougainvillea that they loose flowers in rain, but soon bud up again in drier periods...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all those growing roses, it seems the islands do not have enough magnesium in the soil. A small amount of magnesium sulphate, i.e. Epsom salts mixed with watering monthly will fix the situation.

Hi Erika, yes you are correct, but if you have managed to find in small quantities, here?..... could you let us know... :) I've been looking everywhere!

I think there are a number of plants that would benefit from using Magnesium Sulphate / Epson Salts.... several plants I have the leaves never really "green up"

... Ixora, AKA... West Indian Jasmine... a very common plant here, red, yellow, or orange flowers, never respond to fertilizer applications... so shows that there is a some trace elements lacking in the soil, which would help the plant take up other nutrients / fertilizer, Epson Salts would help I am pretty sure....

Finding Epson Salts is like trying to find hens teeth.... most Thais have never heard of it. (or Malaysians for that matter, I was there when I first read this) and searched a number of likely places on way home, including Pharmacies and fertilizer supply distributors in the south, to no avail.:unsure:

But then yesterday, "BINGO" I checked with my almost neighbours who run a hydroponic lettuce growing operation and found that they do use it... and get it in 25 kg bags from BKK at about 1000 baht per 25 kg bag....(plus shipping!).... that would be enough to last years for most peoples gardens..! It does not keep well if not tightly sealed...

If there are a few people interested in getting some, perhaps we could split a bag? (PM me if interested) I can get the Hydroponic place to have some added to their next order.

I will add that this would be better used in conjunction with a regular fertilizing of plants....

Great advice as always from SJ to which I would add this snippet found on t'internet about the different versions of Magnesium Sulphate from medical sources:

Why garden fertilizer grade and not medical? Any magnesium that is food or pharmaceutical grade will be refined, heated, mixed with sulfuric acid, extracted etc. so that it is "pure". If you want an all-natural source of magnesium fresh from the rocks it came from with all its companion and trace minerals, you will have to get something that is not made for or intended as food. A little "extra added bonus" you will get from garden fertilizer epsom salts/magnesium sulfate is, because sulfur and selenium are very closely related and usually found together in nature, it is very likely that your garden grade epsom salts will contain some of this vital mineral that is frequently depleted in our soil and food.

Finding and identifying natural soil-based Epsom salts.

Synthesized and natural Epsom salts look alike and there is no legal requirement that the label must say if the Epsom salts are from natural or synthesized sources. In some countries there may be a requirement that certain "contaminants" (the companion minerals) are listed on the label. If a "contaminant" (such as magnesium oxide) is declared on the label, this would likely be an indicator that the Epsom salts are direct from the ground and have not been "purified". Garden fertilizer grade is most likely natural salts with its full array of companion minerals. This can be purchased from garden supply stores, possibly only in the Autumn when soils need to be fertilized with magnesium.

Heavy metals as trace elements

Any natural magnesium mined from the soil will contain trace elements such as lead, as does soil The only lead-free source of magnesium will be artificially manufactured in the lab. The presence of lead in magnesium is mostly made an issue of by people selling processed magnesium. Lead is most likely a trace element that we need in minute amounts from an organic source and is only toxic when it is taken in in large amounts from inorganic sources.

When it comes to micro nutrients or trace elements, the list goes on and on, and would vary to local conditions....

Pharmacies in the "west" sell Epsom Salts, to add to bath water... and would be considered "food grade" I think would be the best term to use here....(if you could buy at Pharmacies here, you could still use on your plants... too)

It would depend on local conditions too, as to when to apply, I used to use it during the spring and summer months, on plants like Rhododendrons, that the leaves would have a hard time greening up..... but benefits the growth habits of many other plants too.

I just happened by one of the local nurseries this morning, while there was a truck with two fertilizer salesmen... so I asked them about Magnesium..... he pointed right away to the packages he was dropping off, to the fact their fertilizer contains Magnesium... plus a number of other elements including fertilizer.... but does not have the percentage numbers of fertilizer, which I hate... not knowing....

Anyway, the brand is "Golden Flowers" in a red package, with pretty flowers on the front! I brought two packages to try it out... 60 baht each I think...

Now applied to my three struggling roses and Ixora plants.... plus a few other things so we'll see how they respond! :D

• 2 weeks later...

anyone ever seen tomato cages anywhere on the island? i know i know i know just make them yourself but i'm having a hard time locating the right size wire mesh so if anyone can point out a place for wire mesh (i've been to mae nam trading a few times for other things and not seen it there) i'd appreciate it.

also, i'm looking for some pre made metal fence panels. if you are familiar with the large rabbit cages sold in all of the pet shops, that is pretty much what i'm after but none of the shops i've stopped at have any, only the entire cage. basically i'm trying to make a small (perhaps 3m x 3m) portable rabbit enclosure so that the little guys can hop around and shit all over my lawn.

anyone ever seen tomato cages anywhere on the island? i know i know i know just make them yourself but i'm having a hard time locating the right size wire mesh so if anyone can point out a place for wire mesh (i've been to mae nam trading a few times for other things and not seen it there) i'd appreciate it.

also, i'm looking for some pre made metal fence panels. if you are familiar with the large rabbit cages sold in all of the pet shops, that is pretty much what i'm after but none of the shops i've stopped at have any, only the entire cage. basically i'm trying to make a small (perhaps 3m x 3m) portable rabbit enclosure so that the little guys can hop around and shit all over my lawn.

Not seen Tom cages, but why not make out of bamboo... ? and some string? And if you are having success growing tomatos here, I would be surprised... assuming that is what you want them for. :) I gave up on that long ago, here!

Think you could make a frame for the bunny cage? or get a welder to rig up a frame, Maenam Trading or Home Pro should have the wire mesh you need... and then not only will the little wabbits poop on the grass but keep it cut too :D

img0279ms.jpg

thanks jimmy, i'm growing tomatoes, cantaloupes as well. very sweet. i'll see if i can put a photo in here from one i cracked open this morning. as for the cages, i prefer to buy things whenever possible. my handyman gene was bred out before i got here haha.

img0279ms.jpg

thanks jimmy, i'm growing tomatoes, cantaloupes as well. very sweet. i'll see if i can put a photo in here from one i cracked open this morning. as for the cages, i prefer to buy things whenever possible. my handyman gene was bred out before i got here haha.

Think you might find cages a "Mai Mee" " no have"".... but let us know if you find! unless anyone seen.... ?? I guess the bunnies would eat through the bamboo ones made for chickens???

Although come to think of it I think that very odd "Garage" Gas station.... in Tonsala on KP. have tomato towers... I may have seen...??? They sometimes have things I never see else where... you should have asked last week, I could have checked, it will be a few weeks before I go again.... perhaps one of our "members"could take a boo, I am sure they know the place I mean.... (SBK ???) ;)

I am almost willing to bet you will never see a tomato ripen here... I have yet to see any here except at Tesco etc.... !:lol: But if you do succeed, I know you'll invite me over to take to pic and how many beers now???? :rolleyes::D

Ok going off the islands here a little bit with this one.... some thing I have never seen before, and unusual enough I hope, to do this... and see if anyone knows what it is.... ?

A most unusual flower, my guess an orchid of some kind...? growing right in the middle of a foot path in one of the National Parks near Phattylung, not that far south on the mainland, a couple of weeks ago.

Only a few inches high, and those ants defineately sting! The things I do in the name of "horticulture!" :D.....

Any ideas anyone, as to what it is?

post-85461-0-32948300-1312790666_thumb.j

i've had tomatoes ripen here, swear to buddha! i don't even eat the damned things. let me sort through a few thousand photos in my camera and see if i can find some. the kind i've had the most success with is called "black krim", purple color, fun to watch grow. and i've just received a few more packages of seeds from the states that are quite heat tolerant so i'll be planting them soon.

i don't think i'd try them commercially, but there is no reason why any person here can't have a tomato plant. or two. the biggest problem is night time temps to set fruit, so starting a tomato plant in april probably isn't the best idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think this time last year I think we were all complaining about having no rain.... now we have lots, especially in the evenings, (at least in Maenam) which is good, for beach goers, but not so great to head out to eat dinner!

Just about perfect for the plants, my garden for sure has many things blooming right now... perhaps that was the "Golden Flowers" fertilizer I used...... :unsure:..... not to mention the weeds have taken off too:angry:

I wonder how Joe's Tomatoes are doing, they must be getting ready to pick soon? .... We expect to see pictures of your toms plants with fruit! ;)

Getting back to Epson Salts, I managed to twist the arm of the local hydroponic lettuce grower, to give me about 1/2 a kilo, a few weeks ago.... My three rose bushes are blooming, more than usual... two flowers instead of one! But with the weather change, I am not sure if to attribute to the Epson salts or the weather.... ???

My other plants i had hoped would green up, have a little, but not as well s I had expected..... but today added some 16 16 16 fertilizer & Epson salts to see what happens now.

My neighbours are planting corn, perhaps a good time with the extra moisture... after a few days, up three or four inches already....

I've decided all this veggie growing is just to much work for the end result.... easier to buy at the store!

Hoping everyone's garden is doing as well as mine!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of bringing some blackberry shoots with to Samui. Do you think they would grow there? they certainly grow everywhere else <_<

Well, I don't think they would do well here, as they would need cooler nights..... than we get here...

Also, even if they did grow here, I am not sure we would want the island covered in Blackberries if / when the get out of control.... birds spreading seeds etc....

I am not sure about importing plants into Thailand, seeds are OK, but you would probably need a Phyto-sanitory certificate from original country... means getting inspection for diseases and bugs, nematodes etc.... and having them inspected when arriving here.... (?)

If you want something similar, in fruit, Mulberries are available here... I think that would make a good substitute..... and not as invasive... they are actually a small tree/ shrub....

The Thai's actually don't seem to know it as a edible fruit...,at least the ones I have shown it too....looks almost the same as blackberry fruit....

Stick to a Blackberry phone!<_<

I have NEVER had luck with Poinsettias but saw them growing wild on the roadside going up Doi Suthep when I visited Chiang Mai with my parents years ago. Mom was really impressed with that!

Another one of those plants, that prefer cooler night temperatures, I think, which they would get in Chiang Mai & northern regions of Thailand... Here in the southern areas, they just seem to fade away when it gets hot in April.... Too bad, because they would be a nice garden plant! ( You see some nice specimens in Hawaii!) .....

The garden centres sell Chrysanthemums here too, but again they need the cooler night temperatures.... to survive to the second & subsequent years.... !!!.....

List needed for plants to avoid, unless you have too much money! :)

Another one I've always wanted but never seen outside the North is the very lovely bottlebrush.

bottlebrush01.jpg

Oh, and the Angels Trumpet.

pink-trumpets-m.jpg?300:300

and.... and... haha

Interestingly I saw a large specimen tree of a Bottle Brush tree in Krabi, when visiting a few months ago.... must make the Aussies feel at 'home".... :D It was at least 20 or 30 feet tall.... if memory serves! Fairly close to the Krabi Immigration office, towards town on same side of road. I would have thought the Krabi climate would be fairly similar...

I guess there are no "Angels" on the islands, certain I have seen in BKK though... certainly remember seeing in the Mae Song region in the north...

The plant I have been trying to get my hands here on is the true Bird of Paradise, not what the Thai's call B of P .... which is a nice show, but not same same! :rolleyes: I have asked the local garden centre to try & find & bring in a number of times now, to no avail.(yet!) .....

There is a new Hydroponic lettuce growing operation down the road from me, mainly growing the best tasting lettuce I have had in Thailand (I usually find it bitter), but he's got some Rosemary cuttings on the go, as an experiment, it will be interesting to see if they survive.... He's mostly selling to high end Hotels at the moment and if surplus to the local Makro... The lettuce has little foam cubed attached for the roots.... worth trying if you see at Makro.... ! He's doubling the size of his operation. presently.... 45 days from seed to selling....

Plenty of Bottlebrush like this in Queensland coastal areas, its "Captain Cook" variety.

Here you go & I always thought it was a coleus. :blink:

They look vary similar.

Hmmm...... well, I thinks Rooo needs to take Flower Gardening ID 101 course! :lol:

Just for info: Caladiums are toxic ..... all parts of the plant & bulb........ don't add to your salad!

As are Poinsettias (now being sold in garden shops.... too bad they don't seem to survive here..... )..... I guess Christmas is coming?

I am surprised that Poinsettias don't grow here. This is a similiar climate to coastal Queensland, and there they become like a weed if one is not careful.

Testing here! To see if I get a picture loaded....

Portulaca, easy to grow! Great in pots or as an edging plant in the ground...

Blooms only in the morning, then they close in the afternoon...

post-85461-1271299260_thumb.jpg

post-85461-1271299501_thumb.jpg

Ah Finally got it! Duh! :) Except seem to have double up on one!

Also known as "Sun Jewels" in Qld.

Testing here! To see if I get a picture loaded....

Portulaca, easy to grow! Great in pots or as an edging plant in the ground...

Blooms only in the morning, then they close in the afternoon...

post-85461-1271299260_thumb.jpg

post-85461-1271299501_thumb.jpg

Ah Finally got it! Duh! :) Except seem to have double up on one!

Those pics are great jimmy..................think i need some lessons.

Archived