Gardening On The Islands

At a restaurant yesterday I noticed their hanging orchids are growing on interesting bits of old wood, instead of the usual coconut husk in a plastic pot, much nicer-looking. Any tips for getting an orchid to grow on a bit of wood - do I just tie it on and wait for the roots to grow around the wood? (I presume keep it moist and add some spray-on food once in a while). Thanks in advance

Funny you should ask that question today, Dukgae.

My neighbours were proudly showing off their orchids, this afternoon, placed on old branches and pieces of wood. They look fantastic in full bloom.

I'll try and take some photos tomorrow. But they just tied the orchids to wood with string or wire, perhaps a year ago, may be two years now... roots have encircled the wood now. They only get morning sun too.

Orchids and me just don't get along, the one species of plant I never have luck with sad.png

Perhaps not feeding them or spraying foliage often enough is the problem?, so I think yes some liquid fertilizer occasionally would help! thumbsup.gif

Very proud to present ... my flame tree to be biggrin.png I hope I'll run in to the yellow version someday!

Congratulations, Mitmig on your baby! thumbsup.gif I wonder how many years before it starts to bloom?

Yes, the mission now is to find a Yellow flowering one.... every yellow flowering tree I see know, I slow down, but they are mostly the golden rain tree, which themselves look very nice too.wink.png

I might take the book to some of the nurseries and see if they know of any around.

At a restaurant yesterday I noticed their hanging orchids are growing on interesting bits of old wood, instead of the usual coconut husk in a plastic pot, much nicer-looking. Any tips for getting an orchid to grow on a bit of wood - do I just tie it on and wait for the roots to grow around the wood? (I presume keep it moist and add some spray-on food once in a while). Thanks in advance

My neighbours were proudly showing off their orchids, this afternoon, placed on old branches and pieces of wood. They look fantastic in full bloom.

I'll try and take some photos tomorrow. But they just tied the orchids to wood with string or wire, perhaps a year ago, may be two years now... roots have encircled the wood now. They only get morning sun too.

Orchids and me just don't get along, the one species of plant I never have luck with sad.png

Perhaps not feeding them or spraying foliage often enough is the problem?, so I think yes some liquid fertilizer occasionally would help! thumbsup.gif

Many thanks - I have a phalaenopsis one with strong looking roots, will give it a go and let you know how it goes

Very proud to present ... my flame tree to be biggrin.png I hope I'll run in to the yellow version someday!

Congratulations, Mitmig on your baby! thumbsup.gif I wonder how many years before it starts to bloom?

Yes, the mission now is to find a Yellow flowering one.... every yellow flowering tree I see know, I slow down, but they are mostly the golden rain tree, which themselves look very nice too.wink.png

I might take the book to some of the nurseries and see if they know of any around.

No idea when and if I ever see the flame tree in bloomwink.png Whenever I see a yellow tree in bloom I force my husband to stop and check it out. Think I'm driving him crazytongue.png

Many thanks - I have a phalaenopsis one with strong looking roots, will give it a go and let you know how it goes

I have an old tree branch in which I attached some orchids with a wire. The roots will develop very quick so they can hold on to the wood by themselves.

On television I saw they use old nylon stockings to attach orchids to wood in order not to damage them too much, but I have no idea if you can find them in Thailandthumbsup.gif

On television I saw they use old nylon stockings to attach orchids to wood in order not to damage them too much, but I have no idea if you can find them in Thailandthumbsup.gif

Nylon half stockings Tesco . So my wife says.smile.png

Most hardware shops, have nylon/plastic multicolored rolls of twine/raffia like stuff, that is about an inch or more wide, that is good for this.

Well you might have phalaenopsis mine are failingopsis biggrin.png .... quite sad looking specimens, I decided not to embarrass myself by taking a picture and posting ...wink.png

But I did pop next door to get a picture of theirs, actually they have a combo of how they are planted at a closer look. The one first pictured is a beautiful white, but it was awkward to get a good shot of the whole plant.

The first pic (pink flower) is a combo of wood and coconut.... all these things work, it's the after care that is important..... wink.png

Certainly Mrs Rooo's old stockings, would be better than twine or wire...whistling.giftongue.png they would have some "give" provided not tied too tight. I wonder if Mrs Rooo will consider donating her nylons in the course of experimentation? biggrin.png .

Of course any dilegant garden using anything else would remember to check every few months and adjust the wire or twine so not to cut into the plant.... but that never happens, until too late! sad.png

My pics reversed their order....w00t.gif

post-85461-0-16721200-1337688523_thumb.j

post-85461-0-15775900-1337688550_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Most hardware shops, have nylon/plastic multicolored rolls of twine/raffia like stuff, that is about an inch or more wide, that is good for this.

Yes, GusG, good as long as one remembers to check for tightness once in a while.... most people forget! ...... Including me! blink.png

I've started an experiment, using worm casting liquid to try to perk up my last rose bush... I am mixing 20 parts water to 1 worm casting liquid.

I also got some dry worm castings which as told mixed 4 part of soil to one part of castings.... I am going to find two plants and grow side by side to see the difference .... and will try to post updates on progress occasionally.

One of my neighbours who's one of the leading Landscape companies on the island, swears by it and using in his landscape projects.... with, as he says "great results".

So here goes, we'll see! wink.png

Pic of my last rose! It's about three years old now, it does bloom occasionally but a bit like my orchids.... but they are worse lookingrolleyes.gif

post-85461-0-06612100-1337689654_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

I've found with orchids that part of the trick at least is to try different places till you find the spot they like - enough air but not too much sun, or for some types, full shade. I have a dark pink one (the sort with lots of aerial roots) that was not doing anything and after I moved it to a more shady spot that still gets a bit of light and the breeze, it started growing and flowered again (not flowering right now, will post a pic if it flowers again). And giving them a misting with the spray bottle every morning and the occasional dunk in a bucket of water for a good soak.

If they're indoors, they are also sensitive to things you wouldn't think of - when I lived in Hong Kong, I had 8 or 9 of them doing very well, and then we had the house painted and they all shrivelled and died, I think the paint fumes got them.

Thanks for the tip about tights, Mitmig, will have a look in Tesco

I've got a second one coming up!smile.png Did some 'research' on the internet and this is what I found about the royal poinciana.

At the age of 10+ years, the Royal Poinciana tree [Delonix regia] may begin to bloom wink.png At age 8 it will reach its full growth,

Since a Royal Poinciana will grow 5 feet per year until maturity, a tree that is shorter than 5 feet is less than a year old.

A 10-foot Poinciana would be 2 years old, and so on, up to 40 feet, when the tree will have reached maturity and stopped growing.

A while ago I noticed some little plants on the beach with small yellow flowers. Today I saw these fruits hanging from it and they looked so familiar. Found out that it's the sunberry aka wild cape gooseberry. Amazing that they are growing right near the beach! Took some photos of them.

post-5482-0-58620900-1338292734_thumb.jp

post-5482-0-83619800-1338292763_thumb.jp

A while ago I noticed some little plants on the beach with small yellow flowers. Today I saw these fruits hanging from it and they looked so familiar. Found out that it's the sunberry aka wild cape gooseberry. Amazing that they are growing right near the beach! Took some photos of them.

This I have not seen or noticed! Which beach area?

Being a Physalis it's the same family as "Chinese Lanterns" the orange coloured pods used for dry flower arrangements, in cooler climates ... the seed pod developing looks like it may be the same, but obviously not as hollow!!! ??? .

It will be interesting to see what what colour they turn when fully developed, keep an eye on that, please! biggrin.png

No luck on finding a yellow Royal Poinciana tree,...... still looking!!! ermm.gif

I've found with orchids that part of the trick at least is to try different places till you find the spot they like - enough air but not too much sun, or for some types, full shade. I have a dark pink one (the sort with lots of aerial roots) that was not doing anything and after I moved it to a more shady spot that still gets a bit of light and the breeze, it started growing and flowered again (not flowering right now, will post a pic if it flowers again). And giving them a misting with the spray bottle every morning and the occasional dunk in a bucket of water for a good soak.

If they're indoors, they are also sensitive to things you wouldn't think of - when I lived in Hong Kong, I had 8 or 9 of them doing very well, and then we had the house painted and they all shrivelled and died, I think the paint fumes got them.

Thanks for the tip about tights, Mitmig, will have a look in Tesco

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments here Dukgae, thumbsup.gif ..... earlish morning sun and the important misting, mine can go for long periods without the misting and perhaps too much mid late morning sun too... & give me sad looking results! sad.png

It does depend on type, as there are some that do well in full sun...

If anyone ever goes through Singapore airport, they have the best display of orchids I've seen anywhere... I'm sure they are changed often, to give a perfect display!

This I have not seen or noticed! Which beach area?

Being a Physalis it's the same family as "Chinese Lanterns" the orange coloured pods used for dry flower arrangements, in cooler climates ... the seed pod developing looks like it may be the same, but obviously not as hollow!!! ??? .

It will be interesting to see what what colour they turn when fully developed, keep an eye on that, please! biggrin.png

No luck on finding a yellow Royal Poinciana tree,...... still looking!!! ermm.gif

The fruit is still green, but when ripe they will be yellow/orange according to the internet. About 5 small plants in front of our house (Taling Ngam beach). I took a photo of today's harvestsmile.png No luck on the yellow flame tree eitherwink.png

post-5482-0-50820200-1338356336_thumb.jp

post-5482-0-60739800-1338356361_thumb.jp

Edited by mitmig

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion about how to get rid of a fungal pest on my lime bush - at least I think it's fungal - tiny yellowy brown dots on the underside of the leaves that make yellow spots on the upper side. It's only on the citrus lime bush fortunately, the kaffir lime doesn't seem to have it. Thanks in advance!

post-149740-0-65762800-1339133115_thumb.post-149740-0-59897100-1339133125_thumb.

Hi, I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion about how to get rid of a fungal pest on my lime bush - at least I think it's fungal - tiny yellowy brown dots on the underside of the leaves that make yellow spots on the upper side. It's only on the citrus lime bush fortunately, the kaffir lime doesn't seem to have it. Thanks in advance!

post-149740-0-65762800-1339133115_thumb.post-149740-0-59897100-1339133125_thumb.

Hello Dukgae,

well it is Rust, which is a fungal problem, no doubt helped along by the damp weather of late. sad.png .....It's also common too, on Fragapani .... and a number of other plants.

You are less likely to have this problem, if plants are planted in an area that gets lots of breeze or air movement.

You have a choice, the first being very tedious job of cutting off and burning affected leaves (don't leave on the ground) or perhaps spraying with BS2 .....(a concontion made from the Sadeo Tree, also known as NEEM) we've talked about that a few times, in previous posts..... )

The garden centre in Maenam on the left just after the traffic light (from Bopout) sometimes has BS2 at about 60 baht a small bottle... Spray every 10 days or so.... capful to a litre of water.

Take a leaf in a plastic bag with you, so they can idenify the problem.

There is a fungicide called Mancozeb, at the pesticide store, in Lipa Noi, (behind the Chevrolet dealership) which will help prevent too, but comes only in large packages (1 kilo or so) and I would guess you would prefer not to use chemicals on fruit...?

Bring back the sun that might help a little~ ! but Rust is not easy to control.... good luck!

Edited by samuijimmy

Hello Dukgae,

well it is Rust, which is a fungal problem, no doubt helped along by the damp weather of late. sad.png .....It's also common too, on Fragapani .... and a number of other plants.

You are less likely to have this problem, if plants are planted in an area that gets lots of breeze or air movement.

You have a choice, the first being very tedious job of cutting off and burning affected leaves (don't leave on the ground) or perhaps spraying with BS2 .....(a concontion made from the Sadeo Tree, also known as NEEM) we've talked about that a few times, in previous posts..... )

The garden centre in Maenam on the left just after the traffic light (from Bopout) sometimes has BS2 at about 60 baht a small bottle... Spray every 10 days or so.... capful to a litre of water.

Take a leaf in a plastic bag with you, so they can idenify the problem.

There is a fungicide called Mancozeb, at the pesticide store, in Lipa Noi, (behind the Chevrolet dealership) which will help prevent too, but comes only in large packages (1 kilo or so) and I would guess you would prefer not to use chemicals on fruit...?

Bring back the sun that might help a little~ ! but Rust is not easy to control.... good luck!

Many thanks, very helpful and concrete advice. I feared that might be it, got it on several frangipanis too, probably blew over from them to the lime bush. Will have a look for the BS2

I've got this plant from my garden lady this morning, but she forgot the English name. I've been collecting these seeds from the beach for decoration

purposes but have no idea how the plant looks when mature. According to the gardener the flowers are white and resemble the plumeria? Any help

with i.d. would be appreciated.

post-5482-0-24372400-1339813844_thumb.jp

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! wink.gif

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

I planted one of these plants on my land and it went beserk and no matter how many times you think you have dug the root up another plant appears so be warned !!!!

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! wink.gif

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

I planted one of these plants on my land and it went beserk and no matter how many times you think you have dug the root up another plant appears so be warned !!!!

Yep, when I was a little niave and new about some of the plants here, I thought AH! a great fast growing small tree!!!.... then I discovered that the locals would come by and dig out the roots....sad.png ..... it took a while to get rid of them, but now "normal shrubs and trees have filled in!!!! thumbsup.gif

it's a bit like growing some bananas some get too large too quickly....I had one over twenty feet in a year.... w00t.gif ..... they take a bit of effort to get rid of too.... but persistance wins in the end! wink.png

What is this plant please.Will it grow big?

Hello Rooo.

I know this plant, but cannot find or remember it's name... (for the moment!) .rolleyes.gif

I've seem them as high as about 2 metres, around the island, (5 to 6 feet) x about the same, and fill in quite quickly in none confining soil. They are very shear-able, that will make them fill out.

The one you picture here is showing some signs of "stress" in the foliage, being confined to a narrow pot, it may not be getting enough nutrients or even water, you can tell from the mottling in the leaves....... a larger pot might /will be worth considering??? smile.png

The foliage should look dark red and free of the mottling! (Epson salts may also help too!)

Osmocote in your pot plants should help (slow release fertilizer in pellet form & comes in about 1 kg box and one application should last a few months... It's fairly easy to find in most garden sections in the stores) ...

Should you or anyone use Osmocote, cover the pellets with a bit of soil or coconut fibre to help keep it evenly moist. A pot that size I would use about 1/2 to 1 table spoon.... Repeat every few months...

My worm casting liquid and medium has helped on my experiments, that too could help it , also ! ?wai.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

I've got this plant from my garden lady this morning, but she forgot the English name. I've been collecting these seeds from the beach for decoration

purposes but have no idea how the plant looks when mature. According to the gardener the flowers are white and resemble the plumeria? Any help

Opps missed this! Mitmig, but I don't know... it's a little bit small to tell at this stage! Might be easier to ID when it is a little bit larger! wink.png

Opps missed this! Mitmig, but I don't know... it's a little bit small to tell at this stage! Might be easier to ID when it is a little bit larger! wink.png

Ok, I hope I keep this one a live wink.png Another question. My Rangoon creeper is looking worse and worse. Much damage from the salt spray from the sea during the days with a strong wind, but now the leaves are turner yellow. It stands in a sunny spot in the garden but I think I'm over watering it?

Edited by mitmig

Ok, I hope I keep this one a live wink.png Another question. My Rangoon creeper is looking worse and worse. Much damage from the salt spray from the sea during the days with a strong wind, but now the leaves are turner yellow. It stands in a sunny spot in the garden but I think I'm over watering it?

I am not sure how salt sensitive Rangoon creepers are, but if it has suddenly gone down hill after getting salt spray, then I think that may be the problem...

My suspicions are that watering it with normal water will help leach out the salts.... Yellowing leaves can be a indication of too much water...too, I suspect though you'll find it will come back....(most plants here seem to be pretty tough and forgiving !! give it a few weeks!!!, I think it will be OK! smile.png

I gave one of mine a bit of a shearing yesterday, only to find hoards of the red ants ready to attack.... grrrr.... blessed things! They try to nest everywhere, and you never see them until it's too late! w00t.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

What is this plant please.Will it grow big?

Hello Rooo.

I know this plant, but cannot find or remember it's name... (for the moment!) .rolleyes.gif

I've seem them as high as about 2 metres, around the island, (5 to 6 feet) x about the same, and fill in quite quickly in none confining soil. They are very shear-able, that will make them fill out.

The one you picture here is showing some signs of "stress" in the foliage, being confined to a narrow pot, it may not be getting enough nutrients or even water, you can tell from the mottling in the leaves....... a larger pot might /will be worth considering??? smile.png

The foliage should look dark red and free of the mottling! (Epson salts may also help too!)

Osmocote in your pot plants should help (slow release fertilizer in pellet form & comes in about 1 kg box and one application should last a few months... It's fairly easy to find in most garden sections in the stores) ...

Should you or anyone use Osmocote, cover the pellets with a bit of soil or coconut fibre to help keep it evenly moist. A pot that size I would use about 1/2 to 1 table spoon.... Repeat every few months...

My worm casting liquid and medium has helped on my experiments, that too could help it , also ! ?wai.gif

Found it!!!! Razzle Dazzle had been on the tip of my tongue, so a Google search turned up this....clap2.gif Google really can be amazing!

Loropetalum Chinense - Rubrum

http://www.missourib...zle-dazzle.aspx

Boy!!!! one tough plant growing in many climate zones, I vaguely remember seeing it western Canada, but not a common plant, there. That's where I remember the common name from!

The few I've seen here seem to do quite well! Yours will do better when you change the pot and soil !!! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Thanks Jim, I hope the Rangoon creeper will do better now those strong winds are gone. Completely forgot to upload the photo of it that I took. Guess those brown spots are from the salt spray? Many plants in the garden have suffered with leaves turning brown, hope they are resilient enough.

Those darn red ants! They are building nests here also and the other day I got one in my eye and couldn't see properly for a couple of daysermm.gif

post-5482-0-43565900-1340346200_thumb.jp

Edited by mitmig