Gardening On The Islands

We have a dark horse amongst us with his gardening / plant knowledge... you've been keeping that quiet PS .... did this come as part of the package of becoming a Mod ??biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Here is a question:

.... What is the Provincial Flower of Surat-thanni.... anyone know with out looking it up?

The answer certainly surprised me.... I must admit I did look it up...!!!wink.png

We'll deal with other southern Provincial flowers later!!!

Chilli flower..

NOP !!!! Bigger than that!!!tongue.pngbiggrin.png ..... It's going to surprise everyone... as it did, surprise me....wink.pngHint.... it does not grow on the islands!

I am surprised SBK did not give the answer! smile.png

Rafflesia ?

And the winner is!!! ....

I bet you looked that up though... tongue.png ..... nearly 50 reads on this tread, since I posted the question !!! I bet most local Thai's would not know this, that alone seen one!!!

To think I drove 750 kms in Sabah State of Malaysia Borneo last January to see one albeit a different variety Raffleasia Arnoldii (I believe) the Variety that grows in the Khao Sok National Park, is Raffleasia Kerrii.

The one pictured is the one I saw in Borneo. They only bloom for 5 to 7 days, then have a "melt down"... the second pic is next year's "seed" .... So the chances of being in or finding the right place at the right time is pure luck!!!

I had never realized either, that Surat-thanii Province goes almost over to the west coast... (got to get out more!) .... Raffleasia blooms between January to April., and occasionally in July. The Thai one does not get as large as some one can see in Malaysia...although the one I saw was about 12" / 30cm or so.. I was a little disappointed!

Here is a link http://www.khaosok.com/about-map.htm click on about too for more info... if one Google's there is lots of other info!!!

(One of the wettest areas in Thailand, so anyone going should take rain-wear and welly boots!!!! )

The park is north of Phuket, where I gather day tours are set up to the park.... Also from Surat-thanii city... (prices seem a bit steep!) ... I'll be headed there under my own steam come the new year .... thumbsup.gif

There are many varieties of this plant, same same but very different in both colours and size of bloom !!!

post-85461-0-89000700-1353461913_thumb.j

post-85461-0-03995200-1353461931_thumb.j

post-85461-0-36374800-1353464661_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Thanks for all the replies regarding durian guys, have just seen my mates (its sat on a tv near window to keep warm lol), one seedling looks really strong but it has our winter to contend with (unlike somewink.png ). considering it takes 10 years in Siam to fruit, could see it taking like 50 years in the UK, and at 25 metres one wonders if a bonzai version would be more appropiate.

@samui jimmy, nice picture of the Raffleasia, didn't know it was the local flower of surat thani, this is actually a route we may follow from Phuket at that time btw. If we find the fabled 7 day flower, I shall let you knowbiggrin.png . I also love seeing flora in different countries and find that islands that have separated from the mainland can produce some way out examples, Indonesia is an archipelago of beautiful individual ecosystems of course, but may I add more extreme examples such as Madagascar and New Zealand,-both are radically different to anything that exist no where else on earth and are favourites of mine. I wonder if anybody has tried to grow a baobab in Thailand could see it doing well there..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f6EdkIBi9I8/UI9A3J0Zx4I/AAAAAAAACYs/Z6r_R4GkABc/s1600/Avenue+of+the+Baobabs%252C+Madagascar.jpg

Thanks for all the replies regarding durian guys, have just seen my mates (its sat on a tv near window to keep warm lol), one seedling looks really strong but it has our winter to contend with (unlike somewink.png ). considering it takes 10 years in Siam to fruit, could see it taking like 50 years in the UK, and at 25 metres one wonders if a bonzai version would be more appropiate.

@samui jimmy, nice picture of the Raffleasia, didn't know it was the local flower of surat thani, this is actually a route we may follow from Phuket at that time btw. If we find the fabled 7 day flower, I shall let you knowbiggrin.png . I also love seeing flora in different countries and find that islands that have separated from the mainland can produce some way out examples, Indonesia is an archipelago of beautiful individual ecosystems of course, but may I add more extreme examples such as Madagascar and New Zealand,-both are radically different to anything that exist no where else on earth and are favourites of mine. I wonder if anybody has tried to grow a baobab in Thailand could see it doing well there..

http://4.bp.blogspot... Madagascar.jpg

Hi Exoticmatter!

I think I would give up before you start on the Durian!

If you had not asked the question in the Photography forum, I would not have done a bit of research on Raffleasia... I had heard rumours that it grow in the north of Thailand, although still not read where.... so was amazed to find at least a variety of it grows so close to "home" here in Surat-thanii...... They are very specific to growing conditions.... !

I have since found out that a friend in Phuket does tours to Khoa Sok Park, ... so I will be informed when it's blooming.... (that could be anytime from January to April !!! so when I find out I'll be sure to post...thumbsup.gif .... or you let us know!!! biggrin.png

As for those majestic trees from Madagascar, never seen here, they would be quite something to see!!!!.. but there are plants grown here that originate from there.... wink.png The closest thing that looks like that is much smaller, known as "False Azalea", which has azalea like flowers.

Areas where it gets a bit cooler at night, one can see Tasmanian Tree Ferns, good size specimens of Norfolk Island pines, and the other day low and behold I saw a tangerine bush complete with yummy fruit! ... up in the back roads of Samui!) I think they would grow too on the higher regions of southern Thailand !!!

Some of the National parks are interesting to visit to see flora... but always a bit hit and miss for being at the right place at the right time!!! smile.png

I'll post a pic or two of the tangerine, and NIP!!!!

Edited by samuijimmy

A first for me to find any type of orange growing on Samui or southern Thailand for that matter, .... Up Soi 5 from Maenam .... beyond where most people would dare not venture... !!! The bush not well kept.... obviously abandoned many years ago .....the fruit is actually a Tangerine orange! thumbsup.gif

There is a couple of good specimens of Norfolk Island pines up there too, at about the mid way point to Lamai.... You do see these growing at sea level, but I've not seen as large as these!

Tasmanian Tree ferns are lost somewhere in one of my computers! rolleyes.gif But they grow up there too.... wink.png

post-85461-0-19136100-1353671108_thumb.j

post-85461-0-09008800-1353671279_thumb.j

post-85461-0-66192300-1353671294_thumb.j

post-85461-0-14163500-1353671316_thumb.j

Haha, Jimmybiggrin.png you're a world of info in the garden department, as regards the raffleasia I imagine a guide would be very useful to find unusual flora, one just wouldn't know where to look otherwise.

Funnily enough I was just asking Mrs 'her indoors' other day whether there be orange trees in the Siam district, so once again you've managed to answer a question that I didn't even have chance to iterate onto the grand highway.

And btw, thankyou for revealing the secret location of the buried treasure (aka the tangerine), but you gotta bare in mind that if you's is passing thru that soi one day and you's happens to notice all of the fruit has dissappeared-you will know that I have successfully scrumped all of the fruit for my good self, but so as not be seen as greedy or selfish I will leave you one particulary delicious looking fruitwink.png

Interesting about the ferns, I particulary like the NZ ones, could see there being similarities with the Tasmanian, am told Tasmania is great for walks but its a bit out of the way isnt it. They have planted some sequoias in NZ and the tree seems to love the climate, they are only mere saplings at a 100 years old but are a majestic sight-one never knows they might even grow taller than the giants in California due to more favourable conditions.

One has to have an eye for subtlety to be a good gardener and not everyone can see it or take it in, one green bush is exactly the same as any other green bush kind of thing.

http://www.peciva.com/images/blog/rotorua-redwoods/redwood-grove.jpg

Although strictly speaking one shouldn't introduce alien species into virgin habitate, and it can go horribly wrong, here in the UK theres a problem with japanese knotweed for example, I can see why they are so careful down under at airports etc. But think the real problems are when live stock goes feral but thats another story.

Haha, Jimmybiggrin.png you're a world of info in the garden department, as regards the raffleasia I imagine a guide would be very useful to find unusual flora, one just wouldn't know where to look otherwise.

Funnily enough I was just asking Mrs 'her indoors' other day whether there be orange trees in the Siam district, so once again you've managed to answer a question that I didn't even have chance to iterate onto the grand highway.

And btw, thankyou for revealing the secret location of the buried treasure (aka the tangerine), but you gotta bare in mind that if you's is passing thru that soi one day and you's happens to notice all of the fruit has dissappeared-you will know that I have successfully scrumped all of the fruit for my good self, but so as not be seen as greedy or selfish I will leave you one particulary delicious looking fruitwink.png

Interesting about the ferns, I particulary like the NZ ones, could see there being similarities with the Tasmanian, am told Tasmania is great for walks but its a bit out of the way isnt it. They have planted some sequoias in NZ and the tree seems to love the climate, they are only mere saplings at a 100 years old but are a majestic sight-one never knows they might even grow taller than the giants in California due to more favourable conditions.

One has to have an eye for subtlety to be a good gardener and not everyone can see it or take it in, one green bush is exactly the same as any other green bush kind of thing.

http://www.peciva.co...dwood-grove.jpg

Although strictly speaking one shouldn't introduce alien species into virgin habitate, and it can go horribly wrong, here in the UK theres a problem with japanese knotweed for example, I can see why they are so careful down under at airports etc. But think the real problems are when live stock goes feral but thats another story.

he he! wink.png .... I have my Chrystal ball !!! Predicting questions in advance! biggrin.png Actually I read a while back, on one of the forums someone was asking about growing oranges in the south of Thailand, (but lost which forum it was on)

But I am always on the look out for stuff I've not seen before! The chances of anyone finding, that Tangerine bush will probably be very remote..... including you .... tongue.png

The Tree ferns are on another road, up in them there, Samui hills, it's a bit of a maze up there, and probably a couple of years since I saw them. Quite a few were planted as a sort of hedge row, if I remember! blink.png

It's interesting when you drive around Nathon, (older part) you see many plants there, that you rarely see in other areas of Samui or else where... perhaps because in the "old days" they were not bringing in all the "new stuff" ... interesting the nurseries here are not attempting to grow some of this stuff, because some plants I think would be worth while.... thumbsup.gif

As for non natives, it can be a problem but not always.... some varieties of the Polygonum (knot weed) you mention, are not invasive and very nice ornamental perennials in the cooler climates... Some nice specimens of Red woods can be found in southern British Columbia, where I used to live, but they are not taking over the Douglas Firs and Cedar forests... wink.png Anyway getting a bit off the page here of dealing with plants in southern Thailand! I 'll get into trouble! with the higher ups!!!! whistling.gif Yes, another story!!! biggrin.pngtongue.png

As for the Raffleasia in western Suratthanii .... it involves quite a bit of hiking to see them, I have found out .... timing will be crucial or there will be a lot of huffing and puffing for nothing! w00t.gifwink.pngI have a spy who will let me know when to go.... that could be any time from January to April!!! smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I pity the poor guys who have to do that, probably no masks or protective clothing....blink.png

You are right. Just shorts and T shirt. I believe that they use DDT or some such thing - you cannot eat the coconuts from treated trees.

( Useless fact no 487 - The Rotary actually sent a few off to the Natural History Museum for their bug collection.)

Useless fact no 487..... that is one of yours is it? tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I got more info this morning, that the trucks I saw where for spraying the coconut trees.....not able to find out what they were using, I just saw many small plastic containers in the back of the truck.... but too there are from what I could gather three or four other bugs.... spreading around w00t.gif ..... affecting palm oil trees (not too many of those here yet, on the island) but areas of Thailand & half of Malaysia and Indonesia are under heavy production.... Also other trees as well being affected by "new to the area, bugs".... are on the attack!

As for DDT and the coconuts being un-edible...... I would hate to ask what else they would do with them?

I know in Songkhla and probably other rice growing areas, that they were trying to get the government to find an alternative to DDT, as the farmers down there were / are concerned about its use. Must remember to ask next time I head down there, that was a few years ago now. That was to control "Hoi" or the big snails that eat the rice plant roots.....

So how do countries who have banned DDT , such as Australia manage ?

I pity the poor guys who have to do that, probably no masks or protective clothing....blink.png

You are right. Just shorts and T shirt. I believe that they use DDT or some such thing - you cannot eat the coconuts from treated trees.

( Useless fact no 487 - The Rotary actually sent a few off to the Natural History Museum for their bug collection.)

Useless fact no 487..... that is one of yours is it? tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I got more info this morning, that the trucks I saw where for spraying the coconut trees.....not able to find out what they were using, I just saw many small plastic containers in the back of the truck.... but too there are from what I could gather three or four other bugs.... spreading around w00t.gif ..... affecting palm oil trees (not too many of those here yet, on the island) but areas of Thailand & half of Malaysia and Indonesia are under heavy production.... Also other trees as well being affected by "new to the area, bugs".... are on the attack!

As for DDT and the coconuts being un-edible...... I would hate to ask what else they would do with them?

I know in Songkhla and probably other rice growing areas, that they were trying to get the government to find an alternative to DDT, as the farmers down there were / are concerned about its use. Must remember to ask next time I head down there, that was a few years ago now. That was to control "Hoi" or the big snails that eat the rice plant roots.....

So how do countries who have banned DDT , such as Australia manage ?

You just got back from there, you mean to say you did not check!!! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

My guess would be that if they have they same snail problem, they would be using something ??? .... but not really a discussion for here !!! wink.png Do they grow rice in OZ ??? tongue.png

BTW I've been watching Brisbane area temps, not even close to being a similar climate to here !!! I think that was you, when we were discussing tomatoes a while back! wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

Anyone know where I can buy some young 'Cocus nucifer' trees ? small 4-5ft size ( I dont want to be acused of stealing from local coconut plantation )

I want to plant some at my place

Thanks

Just ask someone with coconuts. I am sure they will be happy to sell you some. However look for ones that have already started to sprout for guaranteed growth.

• Like 1

Hi Guys ,

Anyone know where I can buy some young 'Cocus nucifer' trees ? small 4-5ft size ( I dont want to be acused of stealing from local coconut plantation )

Thanks

Just ask someone with coconuts. I am sure they will be happy to sell you some. However look for ones that have already started to sprout for guaranteed growth.

Finding them at 4 to 5 feet might be difficult, but as SBK says if you find ones that have sprouted already, they grow so quickly anyway ... that might be a way to go...thumbsup.gif

Although seeing so many coconut trees dying from the red beetle pest, personally I would hesitate on planting coconuts... the problem is getting worse... Near me a whole grove has just been cut down... quite an impact.... w00t.gif

If you cannot find and still want to do this, I have two neighbours sprouting new plants... PM me if you are on Samui!

But ask locals around you perhaps.... they usually will sell anything that will make a bit of money!..... just make sure there is a green shout coming out! thumbsup.gif

Hi Guys ,

Thanks

Finding them at 4 to 5 feet might be difficult, but as SBK says if you find ones that have sprouted already, they grow so quickly anyway ... that might be a way to go...thumbsup.gif

Although seeing so many coconut trees dying from the red beetle pest, personally I would hesitate on planting coconuts... the problem is getting worse... Near me a whole grove has just been cut down... quite an impact.... w00t.gif

If you cannot find and still want to do this, I have two neighbours sprouting new plants... PM me if you are on Samui!

But ask locals around you perhaps.... they usually will sell anything that will make a bit of money!..... just make sure there is a green shout coming out! thumbsup.gif

The culprit is called the Red Palm Weevil. Difficult to get rid of.

Cutting down trees does not stop them. The emtyologist entaolog emptywhatsit bug guy that came to advise us said that the beetle will still lay eggs (200 - 300 3 times a year) and the larva will still feed off cut trees.

The only way to stop them spreading is to cut the trunks up into 1 foot long sections and burn them.

I treat the trees on my land and I can still expect to loose 10 - 20% of them.

Hi Guys ,

Thanks

The culprit is called the Red Palm Weevil. Difficult to get rid of.

Cutting down trees does not stop them. The emtyologist entaolog emptywhatsit bug guy that came to advise us said that the beetle will still lay eggs (200 - 300 3 times a year) and the larva will still feed off cut trees.

The only way to stop them spreading is to cut the trunks up into 1 foot long sections and burn them.

I treat the trees on my land and I can still expect to loose 10 - 20% of them.

post-85461-0-17601600-1343400754_thumb.jpg

Here's the little culprit, posted on page 23 post number 555!!!

Hope it forgives me for calling it a beetle, instead of a weevil!..... another senior moment w00t.gifbiggrin.png

That grove that was cut down was all cut up into planks no doubt part of someone's house now!!! rolleyes.gif

I did a bit of a Google search on this Red Palm Weevil yesterday, it's a huge growing problem in the Mediterranean region, and part of southern USA, affecting 16 or 17 different types of palms .... only going to be a matter of time before we start seeing it on other palm types here. w00t.gif

There are controls, one is using a type of nematodes which are microscopic creatures... but it would be extremely difficult to apply, not to mention too costly for the Coconut farmers here...(or anybody for that matter) I am not sure if the Dept of Agriculture here, is helping... with that. ???

I do know they are handing out leaflets at the schools, but not sure what they say. (in Thai!) But my neighbours do say there are predatory insects to help control, sounds something like Nong Wha dam a small insect with a black head ? (best I can gather) ....

Scarey really, huge areas now affected on Samui, I've not noticed it so much on Koh Phengan... yet! ..... Cutting down groves of coconuts, really changes the landscape.... sad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Two plants I saw on my travels around the island the other day, which I had never seen before.... The big red seed pods on a fairly large tree was in the Lipa Noi area, near where head down to the beach, before turning towards Motor Vehicle branch...

The other a smaller bush was on a side road near Thaling Ngam .... Anyone seen or know what they are ?

IMG_3862.JPGRed%2520seed%2520pods%2520%252020%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252011-036.jpg

red%2520seed%2520pods%2520%252020%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-025.JPG

1-Red%2520seed%2520pods%2520%252020%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-023.jpg

The shrub looks quite nice !!!.... I may pop around in a few weeks to see if the pods are ready to pop their seeds... not quite ready yet .... hope the grass hopper does not get them first!!!! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

I did a bit of a Google search on this Red Palm Weevil yesterday, it's a huge growing problem in the Mediterranean region, and part of southern USA, affecting 16 or 17 different types of palms .... only going to be a matter of time before we start seeing it on other palm types here. w00t.gif

There are controls, one is using a type of nematodes which are microscopic creatures... but it would be extremely difficult to apply, not to mention too costly for the Coconut farmers here...(or anybody for that matter) I am not sure if the Dept of Agriculture here, is helping... with that. ???

I do know they are handing out leaflets at the schools, but not sure what they say. (in Thai!) But my neighbours do say there are predatory insects to help control, sounds something like Nong Wha dam a small insect with a black head ? (best I can gather) ....

Scarey really, huge areas now affected on Samui, I've not noticed it so much on Koh Phengan... yet! ..... Cutting down groves of coconuts, really changes the landscape.... sad.png

Local squirrels will eat the weevil grubs - but the locals (and others) keep eating the squirrels.

One local business (Santiburi Golf Club I believe) imported Vietnamese bees to eat the grubs. No more weevils (?) but now have a problem with bees whistling.gif

Local squirrels will eat the weevil grubs - but the locals (and others) keep eating the squirrels.

One local business (Santiburi Golf Club I believe) imported Vietnamese bees to eat the grubs. No more weevils (?) but now have a problem with bees whistling.gif

I had not been up to Santiburi Golf Course for a while, so decided to go take a boo.... It's not a pretty site, looking at the coconut trees !!!sad.png

Two neighbour girls work up there as Caddies, (English quite good) but they had not heard of them using bees or squirrels...(but they may not have been told either) ... But too I know, some of the workers up there eat .... errm dogs bah.gif ... these girls rescued some puppies that others had an eye on for eating sick.gif

So if there were squirrels, they probably ended up on the BBQ .... you certainly don't see them very often !

Here are some shots I got before getting soaked by a down pour!!! sad.pngw00t.gif

First ones from SB not looking good.... the others from the grove recently cut down.... near Maenam Temple.

Red%2520Weevil%2520Damage%2520%252023%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-27%2520PM.JPG

Back%2520roads%2520off%2520Maenam%2520%252023%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-31%2520PM.JPG

Back%2520roads%2520off%2520Maenam%2520%252023%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-28%2520PM.JPG

Red%2520Weevil%2520Damage%2520%252023%2520Dec%252C%25202012%252012-018.jpg

Not sure why the sky is pink in last shot !!! wai.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Those trees in the last shot look like healthy trees. Your guess that they are now 'a house' is probably correct.

Unfortunately, when the weevil starts on a tree, it becomes useless as timber. The weevil grubs eat out the core of the tree - that's why they die and why you have to burn them. (I'm sure that is correct - the 'bug expert' was here a long time ago now, and there area few beers under the bridge since then!)

That first photo shows a disaster in the making. When the palm leaves start to change colour (usually silver) - the tree is already dead. There is no recovery from that stage.

Next step flowers and young coconuts are yellow, then brown. They should be green. Final step - leaves drop off.

Those trees in the last shot look like healthy trees. Your guess that they are now 'a house' is probably correct.

Unfortunately, when the weevil starts on a tree, it becomes useless as timber. The weevil grubs eat out the core of the tree - that's why they die and why you have to burn them. (I'm sure that is correct - the 'bug expert' was here a long time ago now, and there area few beers under the bridge since then!)

That first photo shows a disaster in the making. When the palm leaves start to change colour (usually silver) - the tree is already dead. There is no recovery from that stage.

Next step flowers and young coconuts are yellow, then brown. They should be green. Final step - leaves drop off.

In the last pic they did leave a few trees, but I think will not be long lived... It's amazing how open it makes it, before you could not see the mountain/ hill behind, although today was not good to see that, due to cloud...

But yes, in two or three years time, Samui is going to look a lot different, unless something can be done.... sad.png

Even going along Soi One too Lamai, which I did yesterday, it's devastating to see the damage there too... w00t.gif

So, to the OP who got this going, I would seriously think twice about planting coconuts !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello & welcome, to all gardeners here on the Islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phengnan & Koh Toa.

It was me who suggested having a "local site" to discuss gardening: Plants, flowers, trees, Bugs & resources, for such things as tools, fertilizing etc. Tips & tricks, your experiences in with local gardening in general.

Although many of the plants we can grow here, grow elsewhere in Thailand & other tropical areas, we are different, in that, things that do well in other areas, may do better or worse here, simply because we do not get the cooler nights that they get in say the Northern areas of Thailand.

I think plant lovers would agree that we have some amazing plants to work with here, but there are plants we try to grow, that we can't no matter how hard we try at least from my experience! Some of the good nurseries we have here, do bring in some plants from the north which just do not cut it.. but every thing is worth a try... & may just need different micro climate, than I have where I live.

As for my experience, I have been involved in Horticulture most of my life, both in UK, various parts of Canada & now in Thailand for almost three years...

I am not doing it professionally here, just spading away in my own garden, instead of someone else's! It keeps me busy & slim & trim!

No one knows everything about gardening, there is always something new to learn... & a garden is never finished!!!! I certainly don't know all the answers, so hope there are others out there to share, tips & experiences.

I love the way many Thai people make an effort to "spruce up" their shops & homes, with plants & do a good job of it generally... I have certainly learnt a lot from several Thai's, when it comes to propagation of many plants... Some plants you can just stick cuttings in the ground & in no time you have nice plants .... with a bit of TLC of course... Others need to be "air - layered & of course some from seed too.... but it all depends on timing and the effort put into it, that gives the result.

The big difficulty here of course is the Thai's don't use the latin names, (or English Common Names, which makes it a little more difficult sometimes), but the are a number of good gardening books available, & pictures can say a thousand words in any language! I have thousands of plant & flower pictures, since photography is another passion of mine, so if this flies I add & hope others will too.

The problem is often there is not enough hours in the day to do everything!

OK let's get this going! biggrin.gif

Jim

(with the sometimes green thumb & some times memory lapses ! but will do my best to keep on this )

First question: Which of the Three main Islands here in the Gulf of Thailand has the most varieties of Palm trees in the whole wide world? ohmy.gif

Anybody know where i can get "Shade cloth" off the roll ? Been looking around, found that Home Pro has it, but not off the roll. Theirs is predetermined size packed in plastic bag and far too much for what i want.

Can't say I have seen it at Home Mart Maenam, but you may have to look in the back rooms...?

Take a piece of cloth with you so they know what you want... green 50% or black 75 % shade.. I always get mine in pre-cut sizes at Tesco.

There is a General supply shop just down Soi 4 towards the sea, you might try too... but I think more fishing netting... ? Not been in there for a while... I think the second general store, on the right.