Thai Behaviour?

BaanOz

Most Thais with a minimum exposure to farangs, or a knowledge of our er.... culture don't ask about salaries, wealth etc.

My experience, too. In fact, I've only ever been asked about my wealth from obvious hustlers- touts, bg's, shifty tuk-tuk drivers, etc... The intentions always being clear. Right along with the questions about weight and penis size... :o

I do get asked somewhat regularly about prices of things of mine...My truck, UBC, dvd player, and such, but this is common conversation between any Thais that are already aquainted, in my experience. Rather than using the info to size me up like the hustlers, I sense more that it's curiousity, and maybe a ruler as to how far from reality for them it is. Never felt any hostile vibes, or anything.... Just chit-chit, it mostly feels like.... Like when someone gets a new phone and shows it to anyone... First words are 'suay'...'Sue tii nai'...'Thowray'... (beautiful, buy where?, how much?) not always in that order... :D

My response to my money is always the same..."Phaw kin, phaw chai" (enough to eat, enough to use), a standard, and accepted, Thai response.. and polite signal to change the topic, it seems, because that's always the effect I see after I say it. Disappointment for some, perhaps, but never any hard feelings, I feel. :D

Or maybe it's those rose-colored glasses, huh? :D

Edited by Ajarn

Yes I get it at work....how much you earn....how much you pay rent.........how much your watch cost........how much go Australia......geesus ! One guy recently wanted my birthdate.......why ? well he wanted numbers for the lottery........he said ..."you rich man......must be good luck"

my wife is from a village near Sa kaeo and we spend alot of time at her village. I have never been asked such questions and the kids i find are too shy to even look at you let alone speak too you.

I do feel like i am on show most of the time though and standing at 6 feet 8 inches tall and 21 stone with a skin head i am not surprised as i feel this when i am in the uk as well.

I have never been spoken of badly, the only time the family are not happy is when i leave. When i arrive the whole village comes around to the family house and we all sit and talk (or they talk and my wife translates as my Thai speaking skills are ok but not quite upto full conversational skill as yet) and eat.

This might have something to do with me often bringing a case or two of beer and a few bottles of whiskey, not the last visit though apparently the whole village is on detox!!!!! weird or what a Thai not wanting a FREE beer of a farang :o

One thing i have found is when they want to talk about you with out you knowing they will call you a maxi-daa means same as farang apparently.

Anyway shouldnt worry about it sure the people in the village are just curious.

One thing i have found is when they want to talk about you with out you knowing they will call you a maxi-daa means same as farang apparently.

...That's Lao rather than Thai, but yes, it means the same.

Regarding these questions - partially of course it's curiosity (as they don't see such questions as rude) and partially it is a way of working out your social standing so they know how they should react and interact with you - that's why they want to know how old you are as well...

Don't be offended, it's quite normal in many parts of Asia - if I am asked and it happens to make me feel uncomfortable I do as others here have said and tell them "enough" or sometimes, laughing, I say "not enough!"

:o

Edited by Greer

Regarding these questions - partially of course it's curiosity (as they don't see such questions as rude) and partially it is a way of working out your social standing so they know how they should react and interact with you - that's why they want to know how old you are as well...

Don't be offended, it's quite normal in many parts of Asia - if I am asked and it happens to make me feel uncomfortable I do as others here have said and tell them "enough" or sometimes, laughing, I say "not enough!"

:D

Thanks for putting me right on that one greer :o

my wife is from a village near Sa kaeo and we spend alot of time at her village. I have never been asked such questions and the kids i find are too shy to even look at you let alone speak too you.

Same experience here Daleyboy, the kids are very shy.

Many of the adults also, till they get to know you a bit, mind you, I suppose if an Asian guy was to go to somewhere in England where Asian guys where a bit of a rarity, nobody would speak to him at all, Period.

Thank god other nationalities are different. ( BTW. I am English also ) :o

"Baksida", actually.

One guy recently wanted my birthdate.......why ? well he wanted numbers for the lottery........he said ..."you rich man......must be good luck"

Hadn't heard that one before but it sure sounds like Asian logic! :o

My response to my money is always the same..."Phaw kin, phaw chai" (enough to eat, enough to use), a standard, and accepted, Thai response.. and polite signal to change the topic, it seems, because that's always the effect I see after I say it.

Thanks Ajarn, a very good one.

I always used 'maak-un-pai, maak-un-pai, shaking my head with sorrow on my face. Your one is much better.

One guy recently wanted my birthdate.......why ? well he wanted numbers for the lottery........he said ..."you rich man......must be good luck"

Hadn't heard that one before but it sure sounds like Asian logic! :o

Oh, most definately Asian logic.

Go to Malaysia, if there is a road accident lots of people slow down, not rubbernecking but checking the registrations of the vehicles involved to use for their Lotto numbers. Since the vehicle has crashed all the bad luck has been used up and the number is now more lucky :D:D

This is Asia...

Edited by Crossy

Don't stress it...

If you are too ashamed or whatever reason to answer a direct question, One word

or three actually TIT (This is Thailand)

BTW, Thais don't like all direct questions...well regarding sex anyway.

If I'm too lazy to answer the money question honestly, I give in answer like... 'Ruay Chip Hai' รวยชิบหาย (Filthy Rich) or 'jone chip hai' จนชิบหาย (the opposite of filthy rich)

Some might get offended from the anser, but then you're on a cross-cultural two way street.