Thai Government Hangs By A Thread

webfact

Oh yeah, so the government has now given proper and equal healthcare to its poor rural citizens? They can now walk into Bumrungrad to get treatment like the middle/upper class in Bangkok can? And the old people get proper pensions, so that they won't have to live off 100 Baht per month? And they increase the daily minimum wages of currently around 170 Baht (as low as 150 in some places)? Don't you think these people deserve more than 4500 Baht per month? (That's if they work Saturday and Sunday, too. No holiday).

You're disgusting.

What country in the world can you walk into a hospital like Bumrungrad and get free treatment? It even costs the middle and upper class a fortune.

None of these problems can be fixed overnight. They are problems that all western countries still have, and they can't even fix them.

Sure things can be improved, but it's going to take time, and it won't be done by protesting on the streets.

The PPP buy votes they get ousted .

The dems buy votes , its alright .

Its first about that and you know it very well .

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we say now that the fat lady has sung yet in regard to the red siege of Bangkok? It appears the reds have lost, and that is a done deal. Too premature?

I would say you're premature, yes:

TNN reported at 5:20 pm that troops at the Makkhawan Bridge have retreated to the Government House and the 1st Army Region.

A field reporter reported live by phone that protesters started blockades around the rally site, using vehicles.

That's what bulldozers are for

Seizing Chiang Mai city hall is a genius move. They can oust all the reds that work there. Maybe they can riot and burn their own homes down while they're at it.

You really don't understand politics, do you?

With you, then, he would be in excellent company.

Your advantage is that you don't have to understand very much political kultur at all.

Just follow the Thaksin script.

Its easy. Mostly.

A few tricky bits however.

Following Thaksin's anti-gay bigotry is probably a little difficult for you.

Which is why you have been silent on the issue.

What country in the world can you walk into a hospital like Bumrungrad and get free treatment? It even costs the middle and upper class a fortune.

None of these problems can be fixed overnight. They are problems that all western countries still have, and they can't even fix them.

Sure things can be improved, but it's going to take time, and it won't be done by protesting on the streets.

Did I say free treatment? I don't think so. But the people in the North and North-East aren't given the equal job opportunities so that they can make the money to afford this kind of treatment. They can't be fixed overnight, you're right. But there hasn't even been an attempt to fix the problem.

What about the old poor people? How long does it take to give them a proper pension? The army gets billions and billions in budgets to spend on bomb detectors that don't work and Zeppelin balloon toys, but they don't give a proper pension to their own senior citizens.

Sorry ... cheap treatment. My statement still stands.

Once again, go to any country in the world and look at the job opportunities/pay levels in regional areas compared to the big cities.

To provide pensions and suitable healthcare costs money, and this comes from taxes. And once again, look at the issues with that in the rest of the world.

The army getting huge amounts of money for their projects is not actually the problem. The problem is how much money gets siphoned off along the way (also applies for any other project in Thailand). Corruption is the main problem in Thailand, and this isn't just the army corruption or the Bangkok elite corruption. It is everywhere. It is a way of life. While that continues and is accepted by everyone, the country will move forward very slowly and the poor will be at the slowest end.

Improving education and reducing corruption is the way forward.

The reds are using weapons to attack the army now.
Foreign reporter injured, one troop needs surgery

A foreign reporter was hit by a bullet and injured in the crackdown operation near Phan Fa bridge, Channel 9 reported.

Channel 9 reproted that 33 injured people were sent to the Bangkok Medical Department while 12 injured troops were sent to Phra Mongkut Hospital.

A troop needed an urgent operation as he was pieced at his neck by a sharpened bamboo stick.

The station reported that about 20 injured people were sent to the BMA Central Hospital.

-- The Nation 2010-04-10

Now the soldiers shoot at foreign reporters ? Good God

So you think the guns seen on the red stage are loaded with rubber bullits?

If you need blood and gore, then how can youenrage the calm, determined, but strong, beast before you.

And I can easily see a red shooting a reporters marked vehicle to make it seem soldiers did it.

remember thisbattle is a PERCEPTION WAR, not much more. It is to try and make

the people rise up to support Thaksin coming in on his white horse to save the country from evil.

It is social theater at it's lowest moral level.

Thing is... I have watched the TV, with the amount of firing going on the streets should be

awash with blood, bodies everywhere and being dragged past video cameras.

With rubber bullets, not so, just a lot of sore ribs and arms etc.

Where are the streets awash with blood?

Rubber bullets and a few on the red side with live rounds.

Can we say now that the fat lady has sung yet in regard to the red siege of Bangkok? It appears the reds have lost, and that is a done deal. Too premature?

Far too premature. Nobody has been clearted from, anywhere and right now nothing is clear. A few soldiers with bullet wounds and Reds still in contol of Pan Fa with army withdrawing, nothing is over

The PPP buy votes they get ousted .

The dems buy votes , its alright .

Its first about that and you know it very well .

Oh. Go away with your useless repetitive comments. All the explanations given to you just don't get through your skull, do they. You just ignore them and come out with the same trash.

The Democrats have been buying votes for 64 years now. They are masters at it. Of course, they have mentored others to do the same.

I would say you're premature, yes:

TNN reported at 5:20 pm that troops at the Makkhawan Bridge have retreated to the Government House and the 1st Army Region.

A field reporter reported live by phone that protesters started blockades around the rally site, using vehicles.

rainman, what are you doing here? join your people and fight for democracy! don't be like thaksin just sitting and tweeting on the internet while the people rallying on the streets.

Reuters have said that troops have shot live rounds at protestors at Phanfa bridge on BBC now.

apparently, one foreign journalist has been injuried by ball

If you insist on going to these areas you put yourself at risk. From what I've seen on TV some reporters are getting in some pretty unwise places.

You are right , its better for reporters not to go to those risky areas so that soldiers can shoot at civilians with impunity .

Where r you from ? Uganda ?

Edit , typo

Can happen that reporters are being mistaken for civilians and killed in a military peace mission.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2010...-not-war-crimes

Did I say free treatment? I don't think so. But the people in the North and North-East aren't given the equal job opportunities so that they can make the money to afford this kind of treatment. They can't be fixed overnight, you're right. But there hasn't even been an attempt to fix the problem.

What about the old poor people? How long does it take to give them a proper pension? The army gets billions and billions in budgets to spend on bomb detectors that don't work and Zeppelin balloon toys, but they don't give a proper pension to their own senior citizens.

Sorry ... cheap treatment. My statement still stands.

Once again, go to any country in the world and look at the job opportunities/pay levels in regional areas compared to the big cities.

To provide pensions and suitable healthcare costs money, and this comes from taxes. And once again, look at the issues with that in the rest of the world.

The army getting huge amounts of money for their projects is not actually the problem. The problem is how much money gets siphoned off along the way (also applies for any other project in Thailand). Corruption is the main problem in Thailand, and this isn't just the army corruption or the Bangkok elite corruption. It is everywhere. It is a way of life. While that continues and is accepted by everyone, the country will move forward very slowly and the poor will be at the slowest end.

Improving education and reducing corruption is the way forward.

I suggest you spend one month living in a family in North East thailand (Nakhon Phanom - Siwilai.-Sakhon Nakhon) with 3,000TBT for monthly family expenses (4 persons, one running water tap outside only, house ground = soil). Snake and sticky rice for breakfast, sticky rice and herbs for the other meals, from time to time dry fish.....

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

Oh no... I don't want to say that the Reds have lost... they are the salt of the earth. They are Thailand. Not obsessed with looking Japanese or Korean or with western culture. I'd rather say that they need new leadership! Even if the govt puts down this movement at the moment it has emerged that the rual population has lost patience with decades of being ignored. I hope it buoys their determination to change the status quo in Thailand. I similarly agree that Abhisit is a reformer in Thai politics. With a bit of luck and a lot of patience I think Thailand can progress.

Far too premature. Nobody has been clearted from, anywhere and right now nothing is clear. A few soldiers with bullet wounds and Reds still in contol of Pan Fa with army withdrawing, nothing is over

True true,

but she is working up to full voice

and that high C that breaks glass. :)

Soldiers with bullet wounds, but no protesters with bullet wounds...

This actual aggressive violence comes from where today?

Ah yes the guys screaming for their people to burn Bangkok to the ground...

Edited by animatic

Corruption , poverty , lack of education and lack of opportunities are entwined .

While i can understand that poor farmer need the 500 bahts per day

to support their familly , I can not accept it from rich politicians of any persuasion

The political class should show the example , not make use of the culture

Download anchor free or similar and watch rachaprasong live at uddthailand.com. For all these news updates that make it sound like the govt. is taking control, they red shirts are still on stage and there are still a good 70,000 people listening. Really want to see how they break up 70,000 people.

70,000 ???

There are more people there than have been at most of their rallies (except the first day?).

Anyone close to the scene that can verify these (inflated?) figures?

There are never 70,000 there during the hot sunny afternoon. But at night, numbers do get close to that. So while the army has managed to clear out most of the areas this afternoon, it will be an entirely different story tonight.

:) Source?

Whoa. Just got back to my office in Chidlom. At 5.30pm or so.

Just as the reds were marching from Chidlom intersection to the Wittayu intersection.

A longer procession than I saw when the yellows were doing similar.

Earlier this afternoon I made it through to MBK, when the skytrain and overhead walkways were operating.

Very very hot, and more demonstrators than I'd ever seen before gathered around the Ratchaprasong intersection.

Oh yes, some strange looking farangs all dressed up in red were there as well.

That's it from me, not going out there again this afternoon.

It's nuts.

Give me time and I'll post some photos on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/

I suggest you spend one month living in a family in North East thailand (Nakhon Phanom - Siwilai.-Sakhon Nakhon) with 3,000TBT for monthly family expenses (4 persons, one running water tap outside only, house ground = soil). Snake and sticky rice for breakfast, sticky rice and herbs for the other meals, from time to time dry fish.....

I have never said it is easy for the people up north. I also see the conditions that some people live in Bangkok and other areas of Thailand.

I have never said that there doesn't need to be changes to help the poor.

I have ALWAYS said that Thaksin isn't the answer to their problems.

Exactly , its a shame !

Better take some more of that premature ejaculation medication jt. :)

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pac...355.html.....at least it is NEWS and not armchair babble...

Thai troops fired live rounds and tear gas directly at protesters, known as "red shirts", at a bridge next to the regional UN headquarters, wounding at least one in the arm, a Reuters’ photographer reported on Saturday.

I think Mt Abhisit should start packing his bags and booking a plane ticket if this is what the international press is saying

Edited by monkfish

A foreign reporter was hit by a bullet and injured in the crackdown operation near Phan Fa bridge, Channel 9 reported.

Channel 9 reproted that 33 injured people were sent to the Bangkok Medical Department while 12 injured troops were sent to Phra Mongkut Hospital.

A troop needed an urgent operation as he was pieced at his neck by a sharpened bamboo stick.

The station reported that about 20 injured people were sent to the BMA Central Hospital.

-- The Nation 2010-04-10

I suppose you were there and witnessed it. How do you know that soldiers shot at a foreign reporter? How do you know the reds did not fire the shot? Link please. Only the facts Sargent Friday only the facts.

No surprise that reporters are often targeted. The troops do not want their picture on the front page of a paper because they are doing their job. Its also easier to attack someone who isn't going to attack you back.

Good one calling this over JingThing. The Reds can get scared and leave. That is a possibility. Or the Red leaders could get bluffed and scared and call it all off as they did last year.

Its not exactly easy to remove 40,000 people from a small area if they do not want to be removed. They haven't even managed to take the bridge yet. They also have the problem of the Red's storming Central World.

Its more of a waiting game than anything.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pac...355.html.....at least it is NEWS and not armchair babble...

Thai troops fired live rounds and tear gas directly at protesters, known as "red shirts", at a bridge next to the regional UN headquarters, wounding at least one in the arm, a Reuters' photographer reported on Saturday.

"Thai troops fired live rounds and tear gas directly at protesters, known as "red shirts", at a bridge next to the regional UN headquarters, wounding at least one in the arm, a Reuters’ photographer reported on Saturday."

That is a quote from AJ. Now how do they know that?

Oh. Go away with your useless repetitive comments. All the explanations given to you just don't get through your skull, do they. You just ignore them and come out with the same trash.

The Democrats have been buying votes for 64 years now. They are masters at it. Of course, they have mentored others to do the same.

Secunded . But they (the dems) aint punished for it

And we hear the trash from fanatics about PPP and TRT taking risks and getting

disolved .

Of course if the courts disolve all parties might be difficult to run the country

but thats not the point

Thai troops fired live rounds and tear gas directly at protesters, known as "red shirts", at a bridge next to the regional UN headquarters, wounding at least one in the arm, a Reuters’ photographer reported on Saturday.

I think Mt Abhisit should start packing his bags and booking a plane ticket if this is what the international press is saying

"Riot police have clashed with protesters and have fired tear gas at them. Shots have also been fired," Al Jazeera's Wayne Hay, reporting from Bangkok, said.

Somehow the editor got "fired live rounds and tear gas directly at protestors".

-- The Nation 2010-04-10

I suppose you were there and witnessed it. How do you know that soldiers shot at a foreign reporter? How do you know the reds did not fire the shot? Link please. Only the facts Sargent Friday only the facts.

Agreed... soldiers are trained to kill :) What type of round was it? Where was the victim hit? Where and how was the victim positioned when he was hit. Sheesh... talk about jumping to conclusions.

Relax wait for the facts.

Edited by humfurry