Thai Government Hangs By A Thread

webfact

RAID AT THAICOM

Govt hangs by a thread

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PM blasts top brass over failure to enforce emergency law; troops back at Thaicom as govt again pulls plug on PTV

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday lashed out at the military top brass for failing to enforce the emergency law passed on Thursday, on a day when his leadership was tested to the limit.

Adding salt to his wounds, the red-shirt leaders managed to go back on air on their mouthpiece People Channel television station in the evening.

At a meeting of security agencies with the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation, Abhisit told them that people were disappointed with the officials for their failure to enforce the law.

"I don't ask you to take any political side but I ask you to protect the rule of law and enforce the law. I ask you to perform your duty, but you don't," he told the top brass at the meeting, as they remained silent. "No government can stay in power unless law enforcement is effective", he said.

Shortly after the meeting late last night, Abhisit said in a televised statement that officials and the government were not discouraged and would not give up. "I shall not give up. It is the single mission to achieve," he said.

"Military, police and all security forces have no right to be discouraged, no right to fail," Abhisit said.

Another humiliating blow for the government was the failure of the authorities to nab any of the 17 red-shirt leaders for whom arrest warrants have been issued.

Protesters at Rajprasong intersection and Phan Fa bridge at Rajdamnoen Avenue cheered as they saw their protests back on air on People Channel.

The leaders claimed victory for their struggle in front of the huge crowd in the evening as they returned from the Thaicom satellite's earth station.

Hours earlier, thousands of protesters had moved to the Thaicom earth station in Pathum Thani's Lat Lum Kaeo district, some 50 kilometres north of Bangkok, to force the station to reconnect their satellite-linked channel after the government had unplugged it on Thursday.

15 injured

A brief clash with the soldiers guarding the area left 15 people, including five officials, slightly injured as they tried to get into the station compound.

However, the red victory lasted only a few hours.

A few minutes after former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra phoned in to the rally, People Channel was off the air again. The government deployed troops at the earth station in Pathum Thani again last night.

The government had enforced the emergency law to ban the red-shirt media and some other independent websites on the grounds that they misinformed the public against the government and incited unrest.

As the drama at Thaicom ended, the situation at Rajprasong intersection became tense when the protesters blocked anti-riot police, who were preparing to move out from the Royal Thai Police headquarters to the protesting stage. A confrontation took place for five minutes.

The protesters brought Buddhist monks to the front, to counter which the police regrouped by bringing female riot police to the front of their lines. The protesters retreated as Buddhist monks in the Theravada sect cannot have physical contact with females.

Pol Maj-General Wichai Sangprapai later promised the protesters that police would not use force against them but wanted to reinforce protection for them, as intelligence information suggested that third parties might engage in sabotage acts.

The confrontation at the police headquarters was an attempt to remove the protesters from Rajprasong intersection, a government source said.

Speculation loomed large yesterday that the coalition parties in the government, which had called a meeting on Thursday night, wanted the authorities to use force to end the lengthy protest.

If the crackdown got out of control and caused bloodshed, Abhisit would take responsibility by stepping down from the position and a new leader from the ruling Democrat Party would take over, a source said.

Dissolution of Parliament as demanded by the protesters is not seen as an option, as none of the parties in the coalition government is ready for a new election and the top brass want the government to complete the annual reshuffle of the military first, the source added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humiliating the Army generals & Police chiefs on live television ...I'm sure that will give him their support back.

"No government can stay in power unless law enforcement is effective", he said.

Well, looks like the government won't stay in power then, according to Abhisit himself.

"I shall not give up. It is the single mission to achieve," he said.

Obviously, not giving up his job as PM is the most important thing. Not even if civil war breaks out in Thailand. The most important mission to achieve is holding on at all cost.

Edited by rainman

He said those things on live television? I thought it said in a meeting.

At a meeting of security agencies with the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation, Abhisit told them that people were disappointed with the officials for their failure to enforce the law.

"I don't ask you to take any political side but I ask you to protect the rule of law and enforce the law. I ask you to perform your duty, but you don't," he told the top brass at the meeting, as they remained silent. "No government can stay in power unless law enforcement is effective", he said.

Edited by twschw

If the crackdown got out of control and caused bloodshed, Abhisit would take responsibility by stepping down from the position and a new leader from the ruling Democrat Party would take over, a source said.

This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Hope that bloodshed can be avoided but it may happen sooner than people think.

Humiliating the Army generals & Police chiefs on live television ...I'm sure that will give him their support back.
"No government can stay in power unless law enforcement is effective", he said.

Well, looks like the government won't stay in power then, according to Abhisit himself.

"I shall not give up. It is the single mission to achieve," he said.

Obviously, not giving up his job as PM is the most important thing. Not even if civil war breaks out in Thailand. The most important mission to achieve is holding on at all cost.

What is interesting is that rather than the picture of a hard army pushing the PM, it is the PM who has clarity of purpose and the army leadership which appears weak.

Let us see if they can acquire some backbone.

It's quite clear the military does what the military wants to do, and doesn't take orders from the government.

And that is Thailand's problem in a nut shell. The only constant is their support to only one identity and that sadly is not any political party, or more importantly the governing party. They sit back like a vulture waiting to pick and choose at only the best morsel happy with their fat belly knowing that while the citizens are at each other there is no singular unity of people force to beat them. And thats gets worse by the day as power is tossed from minor party to minor party doing ugly deals with the devil's spawn to grab power.

Thai not hurt thai even when their country is being toileted by the group of the day...ka sera sera...

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday lashed out at the military top brass for failing to enforce the emergency law passed on Thursday

Well, that definitely sealed Abhisit's fate. I bet the military leadership walked away from that meeting thinking, "fuc_ken Abhisit! Come tomorrow, we'll show him who's boss, and in charge of the show."

Can't believe it, but it looks like the reds have a really good shot of becoming victorious out of this. Never would have thought that even a simple few days or week ago.

Edited by cdnmatt

"The protesters brought Buddhist monks to the front, to counter which the police regrouped by bringing female riot police to the front of their lines. The protesters retreated as Buddhist monks in the Theravada sect cannot have physical contact with females."

Someone was thinking on their feet. Neat.

A coup would now be the most peaceful way forward,lets hope it happens quickly like tomorrow!

I fully support a coup that is followed by free and fair elections.

I definitely don't support a coup that will turn into another few years of absolute army rule and then end up with the army choosing a new PM.

[This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Army has already said they will not hurt thai people, so I don't think that will happen.

There will be a coup very quickly or abhisit will try to hang on and draw it out.... but will eventually be TOLD to call elections.

As what he is doing now is making a mockery out of the party and the military at the same time.

[This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Army has already said they will not hurt thai people, so I don't think that will happen.

There will be a coup very quickly or abhisit will try to hang on and draw it out.... but will eventually be TOLD to call elections.

As what he is doing now is making a mockery out of the party and the military at the same time.

Publicly telling the army chiefs that he's in charge, not them, was probably a last desperate attempt to stay in office. I don't think Anupong will like this public humiliation though.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday lashed out at the military top brass for failing to enforce the emergency law passed on Thursday

Well, that definitely sealed Abhisit's fate. I bet the military leadership walked away from that meeting thinking, "fuc_ken Abhisit! Come tomorrow, we'll show him who's boss, and in charge of the show."

Can't believe it, but it looks like the reds have a really good shot of becoming victorious out of this. Never would have thought that even a simple few days or week ago.

I don't think so.

They are suffering from a loss of nerve, but have an opportunity to recover.

That's how we got to this point in the first place.

Nope. The last coup wasn't followed by free and fair elections.

Well according to the international monitors for Asia, yes it was.

Odd that, you have to make a choice....

Regards

That's how we got to this point in the first place.

Nope. The last coup wasn't followed by free and fair elections.

Well according to the international monitors for Asia, yes it was.

Odd that, you have to make a choice....

Regards

We as foreigners have opinions....the Thai people are now in the process of making there choice through free and fair elections.

Imagine if Abhisit had either:

a) Held elections right when he became PM, to legitimize his mandate.

-or-

B) Accepted Thaksin's proposal to "share power", a few months ago.

He would have likely been able to serve out his full term. Instead, he chose to go "all in" with his chips.

Edited by rainman