Thailand's Mobile-phone Price War Intensifies

george

Thailand's Mobile-Phone Price War Intensifies

BANGKOK: -- The ongoing price war in Thailand's mobile-phone industry intensified, with TA Orange introducing a new campaign that will cut fees further, Bangkok Post reports.

Under the new promotion, the first minute of a call within TA Orange's network and the fixed-line network of its parent True Corp. (TRUE.TH) will cost THB1, the second and fourth minutes will be THB0.25 each while the third and fifth minutes are free.

For calls to other networks, customers will be charged THB2 for the first minute and rates similar to its in-network promotional pricing for the subsequent minutes, the paper reports.

The move is aimed at helping the country's third-largest operator regain market share lost to bigger rivals Advanced Info Service PCL (ADVANC.TH) and Total Access Communication PCL (T05.SG), both of which have previously cut their fees and lured away subscribers.

--Agencies 2005-05-31

Bangkok Post:

TA Orange cuts fees further

Third-ranked TA Orange has made its last-ditched attempt to regain the market share from its bigger rivals by allowing its prepaid and postpaid customers to make a one-minute call and get an extra one minute free.

The approach takes direct aim at market leader Advanced Info Service and second-ranked DTAC, which have launched similar campaigns that have lured away teenage customers, said a source at TA Orange.

Just Talk prepaid customers and Talk Plan postpaid users are eligible to apply for the campaign. For each five minutes, the first minute of a call within the TA Orange's network and True landline numbers costs one baht, the second and fourth minutes are 25 satang, and the third and fifth minutes are free.

For calls to other networks, customers will be charged a flat rate of two baht for the first minute and the same for subsequent minutes.

Thana Thienachariya, the chief commercial officer of DTAC, said TA Orange's promotion would do more harm than good to all operators and the industry.

He said TA Orange's strategy would not help improve its sales volume, as pricing was not the only factor for mobile users. The current one-baht-per-minute promotion would be the most suitable and lowest for operators to sustain.

The promotion aimed only at maintaining its share, instead of increasing new sales, he said.

However, Mr Thana said DTAC would not fight back, saying pricing-based competition had now reached a dead end.

Operators should focus instead on improving network capacity and signal quality, he added.

"The move is aimed at helping the country's third-largest operator regain market share lost to bigger rivals Advanced Info Service PCL (ADVANC.TH) and Total Access Communication PCL (T05.SG), both of which have previously cut their fees and lured away subscribers."

Good move, let see AIS can match that. :o

Well, well,

I've tried them all, now I'm using Hutch. Many people say it's crap, but I never have any trouble. (I had coverage wherever I went until now, including tiny upcountry towns - and I nearly never leave Bangkok except for holidays, anyway). In fact, there is one thing - my phone doesn't work in the metro, and I LIKE IT :D .

Concerning the cost, it is true that most of the foreigners do not care a lot as we consider all of the providers quite cheap. But for Thais, who need to talk on the mobile with their friends 18 hours a day, even if they stand only 2 meters away, the cost involved could play a key role .... :o

Well, well,

But for Thais, who need to talk on the mobile with their friends 18 hours a day, even if they stand only 2 meters away, the cost involved could play a key role ....  :o

And this the only country in the world where this happens. :D

Edited by salty

Whichever way you look at it, AIS is still the best service in terms of coverage.

Tariffs are so cheap anyway what's the point in changing to a lesser service just to save a few Baht...?

Sticking with AIS, I've tried DTAC, Orange and their service and coverage is CRAP!

AIS coverage is certainly better at the moment, however I resent giving my money to a crap company. The service is poor and even when their signal is strong enough the speed of GPRS to anywhere meaningful (i.e. outside Thailand) is pathetic.

I have worked at AIS in the past and that just makes me more irritated that I have to deal with these b*******

If DTAC or Orange had decent coverage in the places I go, or I had WiFi and Skype, then I would bin my AIS card tomorrow.

Compared to a non-third-world country, all the mobile operators in thailand are pretty crap, but no-one wants to interfere with the Thai companies way of doing things (witness Orange selling out for $1, or whatever it was)

If deregulation ever happens (unlikely, as the NTC has been on the cards for 3 years now with minimal progress), then some real shakeup is likely if anyone wants to take on the Thai market, e.g. Virgin Mobile (please, please Richard, if you're reading this!)

Oh well, until then we are stuck with amateur hour! :o

AIS is definitely the biggest CRAP u can imagine....and dont forget that they are using MAFIA METHODS.... you already forgot that they BLOCK calls from competitor-networks so people can not reach an AIS number from DTAC, Orange, Hutch or whatever for hours ? Well thats the THAKSIN way to do business......and everybody giving just 1 satang to this gangster must be completely crazy......and their service is more than crap too.... they dont even know to speak proper english (no wonder, because THAI RAK THAI, not THAI RAK ANGGRIT), if you receive a MMS on a mobile that cannot receive MMS, u get a message "please check your mailbox at mobilelife.co.th/legacy" and then you do that and : need to create an account to see ur MMS....but if you want to do so, u will have to be able to read THAI as everything is in THAI ONLY....(no problem with the same thing at DTAC as they will guide you in ENGLISH how to see ur MMS on the web) so still need any facts about the way AIS treats its customers, especially the EXPAT community ? BEWARE !!!!

As long as we are at it my friend from Canada came here and they (AIS) lied to him over and over about his internet wirelss service and then sent him an internet wirelss bill for over 100K which lucky he did not pay.

They are real gangsters for sure the AIS/ 1-2 call company!

I have never dealt with a more heartless company in my life!

I look forward to the day when the Thai people realize this and kick them all (the boss and the company AIS) out of Thailand!

Hello everyone,

I have tried to get answers on this website before and have only got conflicting stories, Maybe I might be lucky this time. I have a AIS sim card whi :o tch has run out of credit but is still valid until Jan 2006, I can get a friend to top it up, but I realy want the sim to have a longer validity period, Has anyone got the solution to how I keep the same Sim and number without it becoming INVALID. The easy thing would be to get a new Sim each time I visitThailand but I realy need to keep the same number, How can it be done?

Thanks,

Ron J. :D

AIS better? What a nonsense! In the middle of bangkok, at the lower Sukhumvit, I couldn't use AIS despite a 4 tick strength. No way to make a call, and if someone calls, you hear nothing. No problems at all with Orange or DTAC though.

Since then I use Orange and DTAC, and I haven't found yet a place in Thailand where one of both would not work. However I did find places in deep Isaan where my DTAC still had a signal and AIS was off already. And DTAC gave me even GPRS there.

Even the people there told me that AIS would be better and DTAC would not work. Then I took their phone, put my DTAC SIM in it, and showed them the stronger signal they had with it, still 2 bars where AIS was just getting 1, and even that only with the help of an external antenna on a 10 m high post :D

But the best of all is Hutch. OK, they are not everywhere yet, but in central Thailand they offer CDMA internet, which is 3 times as fast as GPRS, for the same costs.

AIS better? Lousy GPRS, lousy service, the most expensive ones, coverage area not better than DTAC anymore, and then the mafia methods they use to fight competition by blocking their calls :o I wouldn't call that better, no way!

And besides that, Thaksin is rich enough :D I will not use AIS anymore. Anything but AIS!

Even the people there told me that AIS would be better and DTAC would not work. Then I took their phone, put my DTAC SIM in it, and showed them the stronger signal they had with it, still 2 bars where AIS was just getting 1, and even that only with the help of an external antenna on a 10 m high post

Surely this depends on where you are. I was staying in Chiang Mai in the mountains recently and nobody could get a mobile signal. By chance one guy found a small area (about 3 square meters) where for some reason or other we could get a reasonably strong AIS signal. None of the others (DTAC and Orange ) could use their phones.

Anyway up until about 1 week ago I didn't have any complaints about AIS, but...... now things seem to be getting worse. My voice box is acting strange. Sometimes I just get loud static noise, sometimes I press "1" to listen and nothing happens. On top of that I have had many many "error in communication" messages or "network busy" the last 5 or 6 days. What's happened to AIS?

AIS is definitely the biggest CRAP u can imagine....and dont forget that they are using MAFIA METHODS.... you already forgot that they BLOCK calls from competitor-networks so people can not reach an AIS number from DTAC, Orange, Hutch or whatever for hours ?

One person's 'mafia method' is another person's guerrila marketing. It's business not patty cakes.

:o

Even the people there told me that AIS would be better and DTAC would not work. Then I took their phone, put my DTAC SIM in it, and showed them the stronger signal they had with it, still 2 bars where AIS was just getting 1, and even that only with the help of an external antenna on a 10 m high post

Surely this depends on where you are. I was staying in Chiang Mai in the mountains recently and nobody could get a mobile signal. By chance one guy found a small area (about 3 square meters) where for some reason or other we could get a reasonably strong AIS signal. None of the others (DTAC and Orange ) could use their phones.

Anyway up until about 1 week ago I didn't have any complaints about AIS, but...... now things seem to be getting worse. My voice box is acting strange. Sometimes I just get loud static noise, sometimes I press "1" to listen and nothing happens. On top of that I have had many many "error in communication" messages or "network busy" the last 5 or 6 days. What's happened to AIS?

The muslim students at CMU have been running around the high rises blowing up the AIS antennae

:o:):D

Well, well,

I've tried them all, now I'm using Hutch. Many people say it's crap, but I never have any trouble. (I had coverage wherever I went until now, including tiny upcountry towns - and I nearly never leave Bangkok except for holidays, anyway). In fact, there is one thing - my phone doesn't work in the metro, and I LIKE IT  :D .

Concerning the cost, it is true that most of the foreigners do not care a lot as we consider all of the providers quite cheap. But for Thais, who need to talk on the mobile with their friends 18 hours a day, even if they stand only 2 meters away, the cost involved could play a key role ....  :o

Hutch used to be Orange owners, do not be surprised if it is the same management team same ethos same marketing aquemen.

I always use them ,world wide, no problems but as always you can only speak as you find. :D

I have also noticed that when on Thai roaming I sometimes get AIS as the prefered service they are all hand in hand somewhere along the line .That's business ,our talk time (bhat)= their profit (bhat).

If I am happy with my service and cost I don't move .For the sake of a few baht better the devil you know (which ever service that may be).

Edited by roscoe

I'm planning to get a patent for a new idea:

1. You call your friend with your mobile A on his/her mobile A.

2. He/she picks up, and calls you simultaneously with his/her mobile B on your mobile B.

3. You pick up and both of you enjoy full stereo!

To promote the trend, the 34th and 76th minutes will be free!

Should be the hip soon in Thailand :o

2. He/she picks up, and calls you simultaneously with his/her mobile B on your mobile B.

Should be the hip soon in Thailand  :o

You cannot get a Patent on an idea you have disclosed.

Been with Dtac for years, never had coverage problems anywhere. I do not use the phone much, however, and when I bought the sim I could top it up once in a while without the time expiring. Was valid for a year or more. Now I find I am having to top up every few weeks, as the time expires on a 3 week basis. So the balance is growing as I am not using it enough.

This to me seems like forcing me to spend, which gets my back up. Do all the services run the same system? Can't you buy a basic airtime validity period like a year from any operator, then top up at will?

Don't really want to go the contract route, normally thats much more expensive?

Does all this make sense?

Spacebass, you don't work for the patent office, do you?

Some of the patent applications there are jokes too, but they still get given patents!

Large companies are laughing all the way to court....[off-topic nuff said]

Spacebass, you don't work for the patent office, do you?

Some of the patent applications there are jokes too, but they still get given patents!

Large companies are laughing all the way to court....[off-topic nuff said]

They may have a Patent but the validity of all patents can be challenged in court, (when the reality begins) , that is if you have got the dough ( probably not).

My old man was a Patent Agent.

Been with Dtac for years, never had coverage problems anywhere. I do not use the phone much, however, and when I bought the sim I could top it up once in a while without the time expiring. Was valid for a year or more. Now I find I am having to top up every few weeks, as the time expires on a 3 week basis. So the balance is growing as I am not using it enough.

This to me seems like forcing me to spend, which gets my back up. Do all the services run the same system? Can't you buy a basic airtime validity period like a year from any operator, then top up at will?

Don't really want to go the contract route, normally thats much more expensive?

Does all this make sense?

It seems to me that long term validity without constant top ups = Expensive. As in all things use it or lose it!!

Hello  everyone,

I have tried to get answers on this website before and have only got conflicting stories, Maybe I might be lucky this time.  I have a AIS sim card whi :o tch has run out of credit but is still valid until Jan 2006,  I can get a friend to top it up, but I realy want the sim to have a longer validity period, Has anyone got the solution to how I keep the same Sim and number without it becoming INVALID. The easy thing would be to get a new Sim each time I visitThailand but I realy need to keep the same number, How can it be done?

Thanks,

Ron J.  :D

With all the providers, the more you top up the longer your phone number is valid, not sure what you get with AIS tho. You could try emailing them and asking (not sure if you'll get an answer but its worth a shot).

Hello  everyone,

I have tried to get answers on this website before and have only got conflicting stories, Maybe I might be lucky this time.  I have a AIS sim card whi :D tch has run out of credit but is still valid until Jan 2006,  I can get a friend to top it up, but I realy want the sim to have a longer validity period, Has anyone got the solution to how I keep the same Sim and number without it becoming INVALID. The easy thing would be to get a new Sim each time I visitThailand but I realy need to keep the same number, How can it be done?

Thanks,

Ron J.  :D

With all the providers, the more you top up the longer your phone number is valid, not sure what you get with AIS tho. You could try emailing them and asking (not sure if you'll get an answer but its worth a shot).

I'll bet you 1000 baht he doesn't get an answer to an email! :D

(2000 baht for an intelligible one!) :o