Fun Bar

I just found this fun bar in Chiang mai.

old name was the thirsty beaver, since changed to the maple leaf

pool table massage, nice hosteses-massage girls. not really all that pretty but polite and they have a little class unlike many places on loh kroy road

owner of the bar is from Canada and like to talk very friendly. his wife from thailand really funny

he also has a jukebox and is adding more songs everyday and its free.

I think I know that little bar. I've walked by it many times, but I've never stopped there. I believe it's on Soi 1 and on the inside of the moat. I've stopped a few times to chat to the gals who call out to me but that's about all.

Interesting place indeed! :) The owner has done a great job with bringing some class to the place in recent months. Not my "cup of tea", but I will give the guy a thumbs up on the recent improvements to his establishment. I walk past there all the time, and have been impressed with what he's done with the place. Free jukebox AND pool table sounds like a great addition!

a fun bar in CM? well there's a first.

I've been to CM twice now and was told that the main bar area was down some narrow soi (sorry don't know the name) which has an open area at the end with a boxing ring iirc. bars were nothing special.

I expected CM to have better nightlife - was very disappointed tbh. I asked a few locals for the bar area but kept getting pointed towards the same soi.

maybe some of you guys know other parts of town that have a bit of life?

Edited by game4shame

a fun bar in CM? well there's a first.

There's lots of fun places in Chiang Mai. It just depends on what you're into.

I've been to CM twice now and was told that the main bar area was down some narrow soi (sorry don't know the name) which has an open area at the end with a boxing ring iirc. bars were nothing special.

:) Sounds like you got to sample the worst of the worst there in the infamous boxing ring.

I expected CM to have better nightlife - was very disappointed tbh. I asked a few locals for the bar area but kept getting pointed towards the same soi.

The night life here in Chiang Mai is great. The locals will always point you to where they "think" you want to go. "boom boom" and "boom boom boom" (two seperate things I have learned :D ) There are some great live music clubs, pool halls, dance clubs, and even little small bars for quiet conversation.

maybe some of you guys know other parts of town that have a bit of life?

Sounds like you were very close to finding some cool places. A few blocks west would have become quite lively. Taking a walk around the east side of the moat will usually result in finding all sorts of clubs, restaurants, and bars of all kinds. There are lots of great places scattered all over the city. Just put on your walking shoes, and check them out. There's lots of fun things to do here.

There is tons of good nightlife in Chiang Mai all over the whole city. You just have to explore a little bit. It is not Bangkok or Pattaya, but still pretty darn good and a much more pleasant place to live.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sounds like you were very close to finding some cool places. A few blocks west would have become quite lively. Taking a walk around the east side of the moat will usually result in finding all sorts of clubs, restaurants, and bars of all kinds. There are lots of great places scattered all over the city. Just put on your walking shoes, and check them out. There's lots of fun things to do here.

well, I'm gonna be in CM again at the end of june (en route to mae hong son) so I'll take another look around.

I'm well aware that CM is not on a par with BKK or pattaya for lively nightlife - but I still expected a bit more than I saw on my first couple of visits.

Why is it everytime we canucks open up a bar, the name has to include a beaver/moose/maple leaf? lack of imagination???

The Canadians relate better to "beaver" than they relate to "pussy" even though they are euphanisms for something else. There are so many bars that it's hard to come up with another name unique name.

Chiang Mai has a good night life, just no so much in your face like Pattaya or Soi Cowboy. There are all types of establishments that offer just about anything you might want. Many are just drinking or eating places. Others offer the company of women. Some are strictly music related. The OP just happens to like the improvement in the new look of the bar in question.