Report From Khao San Area At 8:30

Danger

I just returned home after visiting the Khao San area. What a scene! The Phan Fah end of Khao San is blocked by several hundred troops in riot gear keeping watch on the backpackers and the sound of tear gas canisters, rubber bullets and maybe gun shots is constant and only maybe 10 to a 100 meters away. There is also a constant sound of ambulances coming and going. Helicopters regularly circling the area.

Yet just a 5 minute walk down to Soi Rambutri backpacker life continues just as before....techno music and beer.

I walked down Rajadomnern from the Pinklao Bridge side and the redshirts were fairly relaxed but many were gathering and placing bamboo poles next to the curb.

Edited by Danger

Just what the adventure tourist always dreamed about. No clue on reality, sad. :)

The amount of 'Get my post count up' entries you post it is surprising you have any idea of reality - get out and see the world.

PS - I apologise if you are housebound for any reason

@Danger Thanks for the informative post. I didn't realize (sitting here in the USA) that it had gotten so close to the tourist areas. I'm really hoping (very selfishly) that things will work themselves out by the time I return in late June. In the meantime, my heart goes out to people of all sides in this who end up injured or worse and wish peace for the people of Thailand.

It's funny, but I know people from both city life (Bangkok office workers and such) as well as Isaan people and although they may have an opinion, no one is involved personally and for the most part wish it would end. Especially the city people who can't get to work some days or upcountry people who know people who are at risk of getting hurt.

Just what the adventure tourist always dreamed about. No clue on reality, sad. :)

They're on their gap year, they haven't done the Asian Politics module in their woodwork NVQ the little kii noks had no idea there was a war on, they don't have the news on in the YMCA.

the little kii noks had no idea there was a war on,

:)

Guess you never came here as a tourist first ! ...let me guess you teach English and are now look down on the rest who are just visiting.

Thankfully not to many where hurt and hopefully the BS will stop.

the little kii noks had no idea there was a war on,

:)

Guess you never came here as a tourist first ! ...let me guess you teach English and are now look down on the rest who are just visiting.

Thankfully not to many where hurt and hopefully the BS will stop.

If you consider 20 people killed not to many I don't want to see what your definition is. Tourist on their first time or 100th time need to be aware of their surrounding which most of you are not or will ever be.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourists-Sha...ts-t355382.html

My post is simply referring to the derogatory reference made by stjohnm of calling the gap year tourists bird shit and implying they all wander with their head up there backside.

Quite often ex pats take on a superiority complex after being here a few years and learning some Thai, they then put down the tourists as displayed in St johnm post.

I then point out that thankfully not many of the tourists have been hurt, considering the level of violence that occurred near Khao sarn.

How you turn that to not considering the deaths of soldiers and protestors non important is beyond me.

It’s a tragic day for Thailand and all those involved and affected.

Please re read my post as I feel you got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.