Anybody Been Out For Loy Krathong Fest?

D80

Hiya,

A friend from Thailand just rang me today after she's been out celebrating Loy Krathong. she'a had such a great time. It reminded me of the time when all of us used to go out together for the festival, staging and seeing firework display, walking around the fairs and making our own banana leaf krathong at school. I haven't been back for the festival for so long and I really miss it. Has anyone been out to celebrate?

Some people believe floating the krathong with your partner means you two will be together again in your next life. :o Awwww....

From what I have seen during Loy Krathong, the people celebrating it seems to be predominantly Thai. Do expats living in Thailand join in as well? Where do you guys go?

Anyway, Happy Loy Krathong night everyone!! B)B):DB)

D80, fireworks are presently not allowed.

Expatriates do celebrate (perhaps at the pool-area)

Tonight I (we) saw on TV a beautiful FULLLLL moon in Europe shining over a football stadium. Even the expatriates, not knowing any Thai exclaimed, "That's Loy Krathong in Europe."

A well, some supporters are still upset, teir team(s) lost.

Happy Loy Krathong to you as well! :o

:o

To M80,

Who says, "I rest my case, your honour! "

Well, I have seen a few of the ladies from Thailand, some seem almost presentable, I was wondering if your one of the some what attractive ones or not?

I will now rest my case, Bud arranged to have my most recent photo put on the web site, so perhaps we can settle this, go to the web site, click on the resume page, scroll past Bud the nicest, most polite, well manner, gentleman I ever used to be married too and then view my photo, I have finally gotten around posting it as asked by many followers of this forum. I hope everyone is now satisfied. I as well hope some the put downs will end, and you start saying constructive things about each other.

Savitri Lall

See me at ... www.zgramyachtdeliveries.com

I wish you the best at the fest, and Buddy says it should cheer you up and make your more hospitable.

Huh??

:o:D

What was that about??? My web name is also D80, not M80. And when I said I rest my case, it wasn't directed at anyone in specific at all?!? Oh,well... some seem to like picking on others...

Anyway,

Axel,

I didn't know they don't allow firework anymore. Well, I guess it's only appropriate since there are so many incidents involving fireworks. When I went out with my friends quite a while back, some girl was seriously hurt at that fair when a firework was thrown at her as a prank.

It is the full moon that I miss most as well. It's a very romantic festival, isn't it? Full moon and loads of candles.... ahhhh..... B)B)B)

D80 , after Savitri Bud's unintelligible post here's a topical albeit cheesy one.

About 10 years ago I was going out with my now wife.

It was Loy Krathong, in the evening, about 6 couples , some Thai/Thai , some Thai/Western, and some Western/Western etc.

We were at a lake near Kalasin , with the boats with candles on top , you know the ones. Myself and Waraphorn ( wife) launched our vessels , and they stayed together until out of site , everyone elses either sank or split up.

Corny but true , we're happily married to this day.

Awwww :o:D

Chon,

That is such a lovely story!! Awwww.... :o

I didn't ask my friend how her krathong went actually. She also went with her (Thai) boyfriend.

I have heard a rather cruel, in some way funny story from Thai friends about Loy Krathong. We were only teenagers at the time. Well, this guy from our little gang was going to the fest with his new girlfriend. After they set off their little boats, he saw someone on the river bank throwing stones at the krathongs trying to separate or sink them!! Turned out it was his ex-girlfriend!!! The Krathong did stay together but my friend and his girl parted after a few months. We were only kids then anyway.

:DB)B)

When Axel said they banned firework this year, it reminded me of how easy it was to get hold of firework when I was little. I could buy firework myself when I was like 10!! Is it banned where you live as well? Or is it only in BKK?

Dr Pat,

It is indeed. Candlelights everywhere on the river used to be my favourite thing about Loy Krathong. I've never thought of it that way that they represent millions of wishes. :o

We used to make styrofoam krathong at school when we were little. Then when I moved to primary school, they put a ban on styrofoam and we make one with banana leaf instead. I prefer banana leaf one actually. They are not as easy to make as the styrofoam one but better for the environment and look so much more delicate.

There will probably be a big clean up tomorrow. Some krathong have small amount of money in it. So the kids will have a field day! heheh

:DB)B)

By the way, just came across a web site that you can float your krathong virtually!!

http://www.mthai.com/special/loykrathong20...php?errorck=ok#

It was great!! It's better if you can read Thai (as you could read the wishes peple posts with their krathong). But if not, you can still put your wishes in a krathong, they just asked you to putyour name, age and gender (mal/female) in that order (there are red * next to the boxes) then you can make your wishes in the big message box at the end of the form.

Have a try, it's a bit of a giggle.

Was in SamutPrakarn, and saw, from a few kilometers away, some Sky Krathong ...

I guess must, it have been something like this:

khomloi.jpg

Very nice, there must have been more than 15 in the sky, going very high.

But I thought, this was done in a different festival ? ...

Singa-traz

They're called 'Koam Loy'. They are more common up north, like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai. They are lovely too.

I don't know if they are done in other festival usually. But I think they are also done for Loy Krathong up north as well. Quite a few years back, I've heard a ban had been put on them since some have been modified to float longer and therefore have got more fuel. These modified ones sometimes fall on houses and caused fire. But I think the ban has been lifted now. The traditionally made ones don't have enough fuel to cause to much damage. I'd only heard that on the telly in Thailand quite a while ago.

I remembered when I went to Chiang Mai with my family. We looked up to the sky and there were loads of the 'Koam Loy'!! It was a lovely sight, really beautiful. I wish I had a camera then.

Hi, Last night myself, hubby & 10 friends, 4 couples, 3 thai/ farang & 1 phillipino/farang & 2 single friends all went to Bang Rak Beach near Big Buddha in Samui to sit on the beach & release our Kratongs. For me & hubby it was a special occasion as we only married 6 weeks ago & I am happy to say that our boats travelled together on the tide side by side & the candles still going, very far our to sea :D

For my phillipino friend it was his first Loy Kratong & in the beginning he wouldn't be convinced that the boats would float out but after releasing his boat he kept looking back amazed that they were all washing out with the tide. All in all a great night, shared with very good friends & lots of food & drink consumed so heres hoping that the "Mother of the Water" will grant us all good luck.

Koam Loy were very present in Samui last night too, all the kids were on the beach releasing their burning balloons & great fun was had by all to see who's would stay up in the sky. Fire in the sea & fire in the sky, god it's nights like last night that make me love this country even more & fire works, don't know about bangkok but they are still present & used freeley here on the "Coconut Island" :o

Boo,

Wow, congratulation!! Didn't know you got married 6 weeks ago!! Must be really romantic. :o:DB)

A friend of mine who used to live near the sea said she floated her krathongs out to the sea as well. I was wondering whether there would be waves that will overturn them. But she said no and you now confirmed it. B)

Hope this festival is a start of your and your husband lovely life together. It's time like this that I wished I was back in Thailand with my husband. B)B)

So many flickering lights representing the wishes and aspirations of millions. A lovely sight to behold :o

I missed it this year for the first time in more than 10 yrs......These are the times you really miss LOS and it is so nice to read all the comments posted.

I can just imagine...sitting on the side of the river, candle-lights everwhere and a cold Chang beer in one hand an cold Chang beer in the other!!!!

Oh Well...Songkran is coming up I suppose and elections are all over!!

Went to Grand Palace and Kho San Road. Was great. No fireworks this year, good. Not too much traffic either, it was a surprise.

Good show, good music and traditional dancing next to the Grand Palace. Mainly Thais, not too many farangs. Felt like Songkran without the water. Not too many flowers this year, not sure why. The canals were not full of "lights" like they used to. Still was nice to see everyone outside in the park, drinking and eating with friends on the lawn.

I did NOT go to the Peninsula Bangkok although they sent me a flyer with a choice of 5 different outlets, each for Baht 3,999 net, only. They also promised 'spectacular fireworks over the Chao Praya River'.

Did I make a mistake and missed something for such a bargain price? Or should have chosen the Gala Dinner Buffet. The last word I understand means self-service.

Did not go out this time, thinking of Traffic.

Floated two plastic Krathongs in the swimming pool and celebrated with Beer and a Pizza. Condo was very quiet coz all others gone to celebrate Traffic. :o

It was a perfect romantic setup, under the full moon, to celebrate our 2 day old marriage registration together!!!

my husband & I waited until all the customers had gone out then went to the beach, waded out a bit as the tide was low, put our banana leaf krathongs in the water at the same time and watched them float away together under the clear skies and full moon until they were out of site.

Guess it is a good sign because the next day his cousin who borrowed money from us 2 years ago came and paid it back!! in full!!

Did not go out this time, thinking of Traffic.

Floated two plastic Krathongs in the swimming pool and celebrated with Beer and a Pizza. Condo was very quiet coz all others gone to celebrate Traffic.  B)

It was a perfect romantic setup, under the full moon, to celebrate our 2 day old marriage registration together!!!

Well done B):o:D Kwiz

Nice one.

Chok Dee Krap to you and the Miss-use B)