Why Can't We Discuss Non-los Topics?

tv.com is a place where expats and those with connections to LOS come to chat and argue and ask for advice. Now what is the problem with chatting, arguing and asking for advice regarding non-LOS topics? I'm here living in the middle of nowhere and I would like a healthy debate with other expats on the Corby case in Indonesia for instance. But this is somehow wrong or unacceptable? So every single thread must be directly related to Thailand? I can't share news or info regarding Laos or Burma with my fellow expats? Absolutely ridiculous.

//edit remove rave about Moderation.

//

Edited by mattnich

CMT,

I can understand your concerns to some point. We simply want to concentrate on Thailand related topics. If it is a Bali or Australian topic, then they can do it better than us. We have covered it from a World traveller point of view.

We have covered the event you mentioned, have a look at the news clippings a few days back and you will find it.

I believe that if we concentrate on Thailand related topics we are better off generally. We are no hitlers or power mad computer freaks. We just happens to manage a big forum focusing on Thailand.

Welcome on board!

Cheers!

/G

CMT,

I can understand your concerns to some point. We simply want to concentrate on Thailand related topics. If it is a Bali or Australian topic, then they can do it better than us. We have covered it from a World traveller point of view.

We have covered the event you mentioned, have a look at the news clippings a few days back and you will find it.

I believe that if we concentrate on Thailand related topics we are better off generally. We are no hitlers or power mad computer freaks. We just happens to manage a big forum focusing on Thailand.

Welcome on board!

Cheers!

/G

I understand that you have to ensure that the forum maintains a Thailand theme. However, it seems a real shame that English starved expats can't come here as a meeting place to discuss various events around the world. it seems that in banning these discussions, you are throwing away a huge market and annoying loyal members in the process. There must be a way to strike a healthy balance.

CMT,

Welcome on board!

Cheers!

/G

I understand that you have to ensure that the forum maintains a Thailand theme. However, it seems a real shame that English starved expats can't come here as a meeting place to discuss various events around the world. it seems that in banning these discussions, you are throwing away a huge market and annoying loyal members in the process. There must be a way to strike a healthy balance.

I think the balance is pretty healthy here. I think the line has to be drawn somewhere and where ever it is drawn there will be some people who find themselves at times wanting to cross over...and if the line were moved bit by bit to accommodate these reasonable request then pretty soon there would be no focus at all. Sometimes I want to cross the line. If you don't do it too often then you can even get away with it...a bit.

tv.com is a place where expats and those with connections to LOS come to chat and argue and ask for advice. Now what is the problem with chatting, arguing and asking for advice regarding non-LOS topics? I'm here living in the middle of nowhere and I would like a healthy debate with other expats on the Corby case in Indonesia for instance. But this is somehow wrong or unacceptable? So every single thread must be directly related to Thailand? I can't share news or info regarding Laos or Burma with my fellow expats? Absolutely ridiculous.

//edit remove rave about Moderation.

//

Actually, I see quite a few non-Thai related threads on this board. Many are in the Hong Khlaay Khriat or Farang Pub forums. Sports has it's own forum, and from what I've seen, it doesn't have to be Thai-related (hmmm, do they have ice-hockey in Thailand ?)

Maybe you could post a request on the Forum Support Desk, requesting that a new non-Thai related General Topics forum be started ?

If the areas of discussion were widened any further then the forum would get too big and the name would become irrelevant.

Anyone that has ever managed an forum/board knows this statement to be untrue.

Infact, _most_ boards out there (including everyone I have managed or moderated) have had a dedicated off-topic forum-section. This is to keep everything off-topic in one section and the rest of the forum clean, but also to make sure you don't choke the activity to a narrow viewpoint of what is allowed. Since, come'on, if this board runs for another 10 years, the number of new topics old users can think up is going to run out pretty quick...and then the old posters become cynical to the new ones, i.e. "that subject have already been covered, search!" and so on, straight out of boredom...

The point it, should TV be an information-board with low return-rate or a strong and helthy community-board?

Up to the admins.

Edited by Zarkow

The point it, should TV be an information-board with low return-rate or a strong and helthy community-board?

I think it is a strong and healthy community based forum and full of good information.

Other topics such as international politics and BG's have alternative (but related) forums (such as The Bearpit and Barladies.com) where they can be discussed.

I think it is a strong and healthy community based forum and full of good information.

Other topics such as international politics and BG's have alternative (but related) forums (such as The Bearpit and Barladies.com) where they can be discussed.

Please don't put "Barladies.com" in the same catagory as the Bearpit! :o

:D

Aren't they "talking c(r,l)ap" on either side :D

:D:D Too true!!!

You cannot both have the cake and eat it.

There is no such thing as a 'strong community-forum based on information' and then at the same time sending off the users to _several_ other web-boards if they want to post one or two topics covered on some other forum...

There is no such thing as a 'strong community-forum based on information' and then at the same time sending off the users to _several_ other web-boards if they want to post one or two topics covered on some other forum...

Sorry mate, I disagree... read the rules.

(Good one BTW, Darky :o )

Rules have nothing to do with common sence and experience. They are just rules and prove nothing. Some 30 forums I have been involved in would disagree with your statement.

The truth is that moderators are trying to keep SENSITIVE ARGUMENTS out of this forum, in order to avoid fights, offences, .....

This is particulary true for US related stuff (Bush, war in Iraq), politics and in this case also for the Bali sentence (bacause is more a political case rather than a court case).

On this forum there are people who can be against Corby or in her favour, and not knowing each other means fights, offences, statements on Corby, or worst on Bali or even worst on OZ.

This shoudn't happen in a Forum dedicated to Thailand, the moderators consider the damage (possible) higher than the fun inreading that posts and their replies.

So if I post something about a POP singer, it's fine and normally it doesn't end into a fight, but if someone posts: "I LOVE BUSH", of course half of the people on this forum will disagree and many of them (includ. myself0 also in a "pulp way" which doen't mean to offend anyone, but in any case can be rude and misunderstood!!

Rules have nothing to do with common sence and experience. They are just rules and prove nothing. Some 30 forums I have been involved in would disagree with your statement.

Sorry Zarkow, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one... :D

I didn't really want to post a "if you don't like it here then go somewhere else" type response, but to quote an excerpt from the rules: "If you are dissatisfied with any of the information contained in the Site, or with any of these Forum Rules, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue accessing and using the Site."

Also from the "About ThaiVisa.com": Our goal is to have the most complete and updated website for the expatriate community in Thailand regarding visas and immigration issues.

Edited by Jai Dee

Perhaps, but the level and quality of "debate" is the distinction. :D

The thread about Corby was Thai related for anyone coming from Aus.... as more info comes out about the baggage handlers using their position to shift dope around Aus and internationally.

I don't look at that girls predicament as a one off, it could happen to anyone!

More Qantas b/h were arrested yesterday....... :o

I'm perfectly happy with the way things are but it might work to have a forum consisting of only one topic entitled "Talk about anything here". And then let them talk about anything they want...in the one topic only.