International Rugby Fixtures

Anyone else following the Korea v UAE game on Twitter

https://twitter.com/...e=asian5nations

A win for the UAE will give Hong Kong a shot at second place when they play Khazakstan at 4 pm (3pm THAI) this afternoon at Mong Kok Stadium, and also live on Eurosport

SC

After a level scoreboard at half time 14 - 14,

Korea running away with the game, with a few minutes to go, KOR 47 - 21 UAE to cement second place on their return to the top division of Asian rugby

SC

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else following the Korea v UAE game on Twitter

https://twitter.com/...e=asian5nations

A win for the UAE will give Hong Kong a shot at second place when they play Khazakstan at 4 pm (3pm THAI) this afternoon at Mong Kok Stadium, and also live on Eurosport

SC

After a level scoreboard at half time 14 - 14,

Korea running away with the game, with a few minutes to go, KOR 47 - 21 UAE to cement second place on their return to the top division of Asian rugby

SC

And Warrington beat Khazakhstan 55-0 to seal third place so it ends Japan - Korea - Hong Kong - UAE - Khazakhstan, who go down to Division 1, while Philippines take their place in the top flight nest year.

Division Two Finals at the Royal Selangor Club in KL next weekend - I'm sure you'll all be there cheering for Thailand

Who will go up to Division I to replace Singapore - the first team from the the top flight to sink to Division 2 for 2013? Who will keep alive their 2015 World Cup dream?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Warrington beat Khazakhstan 55-0 ...

SC

should of course read "Hong Kong beat Khazakhstan 55-0" - it was the similiarity of the scores, and the fact that I was catching up on the results while watching the Magic Weekend from Manchester... Anyway, my apologies to anyone who has been roaming in perplexion since the small hours of the morning.

SC

So who all is coming down to KL for the Division II then? Edit: This coming Saturday afternoon...

The venue has been changed to Kelana Jaya Stadium, which is quite handy for Kelana Jaya LRT Station, I think.

You could fly down in the morning, get out to the ground in good time for lunch before the two games, and back up the same night, if you couldn't tear yourself away from the fleshpots and cricket ovals of Thailand.

Teams participating include (in descending seeded order) Malaysia Thailand Iran China

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Surely you must be itching with feverish anticipation at the climax - on Saturday - of the Asian Division Two rugby. Today, India play Guam for promotion from Division Three, while in a World Cup Preliminary Qualifying Match Thailand will meet hosts Malaysia at the Kelana Jaya Stadium; 1630, Saturday 2nd June.

SC

today sat.wales vs barbarians at the millenuim cardiff its a sell out should be a spectacle shane williams final game.

I'm off shortly to the stadium - I'll see you all down there. lads/

Yesterday, India secured their promotion to Division 2 - or, in a slightly unusual twist, Division 1 if they beat the Division 2 champions in a world-cup qualifying play-off. But focus on today - Malaysia Thailand at the Kelana Jaya Stadium, 1630 kick-off.

SC

Well, what a cracking game of rugby that was! I'm surprised I didn't see more of you there - it really was quite a partisan crowd.

In a pretty error-strewn first half, Thailand went in for oranges 12-6 ahead. However, Malaysia had a couple of pacific islanders in their team who looked particularly dangerous with ball in hand. And a few moments into the first half, their big left winger took a run from within his own 22, tackles falling off him like VCRs off the back of a lorry (showing my age a bit there!). He was finally hauled down beyond the Thai ten-metre line, and some quick handling out of the ruck saw Malaysia go over to take the lead for the first time.

It looked like the home side had it in the bag - Thailand rarely threatened their opponent's try line... until a long kick bobbled about in front of the posts; the winger gathered, passed to the fullback; with his opposite number thundering down on him (scarcely thunder really; the Thai full back was not the most intimidating of men) - the clearance was charged down, the Thai fullback followed through to ground the ball and take Thailand back into the lead.

Again the left winger broke down the touch line; and again he was pulled down just short. Sustained pressure from Malaysia saw one of their islanders go over for a second try - or it would have been, had he not been held up. And again Malaysia drove, their size letting them punch through the Thai defence and again they crossed the Thai try line - to lose the ball in a last-gasp tackle. The Thai scrum was creaking under the pressure, but they managed to hold onto possession... a penalty to the defence, a quick check with the referee to see if the pubs would be open yet... and the ball was hoofed into touch to see Thailand victorious 22 - 19 over their hosts.

The earlier game was a bit one-sided, with China on the receiving end of a bit of a pummelling from Iran. I only caught the last few minutes.

And the Carlsberg ladies were particularly lovely

SC

I'm not entirely sure the above is entirely factually correct, as I'm working from memory...

SC

Cough ... was there any commentary about the Women's Rugby Sevens competition recently in Amsterdam?

The Qantas Women’s Sevens have defeated host side Netherlands 18-14 to claim third place at the Amsterdam Sevens

http://www.rugby.com...13/Default.aspx

I'd struggle to make it to the game...

They had a Ladies' Sevens match in the orange-break this afternoon - just a local exhibition game

Thailand's ladies sevens team is quite accomplished.

You may recall they were bronze medallists at the 2010 Asian Games; and I think they qualified for the Womens' Sevens World Cup in Dubai, though I couldn't confirm that in my five-minute research bid.

Anyway, I've just heard the last call to prayers for the day, so the Imam will be down in the pub in a moment. I think I'll go down for some bangers and mash, then pop into the seven-eleven exotic bird shop for a brace of two-cans in readiness for the Warrington - Hull KR game on the wireless (apologies in advance for the off-topic digression)

SC

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, i'm surprised none of our fellows who live on that side of the country have seen fit to go down to Phnomh Penh for this week's rugby action

http://asian5nations.com/node/680

I draw your attention to the last line, which surely will be an unmissable attraction for many of our Isaan posters

"All matches will be played in Phnom Penh at the RCAF Stadium on Street 70. Entrance to all of the games is free"

SC

Just so you don't feel alone ...

post-104736-0-17740100-1340767640.gif

Thailand

A team with pace and plenty of zest, Thailand will be keen to return to Division One for the first time since 2009.

The Thai Rugby Union was one of the founding unions of the Asian Rugby Football Union in 1968 and has a long and colourful rugby tradition. This history was extended in 2008 when the brave Thais became the first team to win promotion in A5N history when they topped Division II.

They will face a tough test against Iran who will be very physical. If they get past this hurdle, the Thais will come up against the winners of the other semi-final between Malaysia and China in the final.

Source

Just so you don't feel alone ...

post-104736-0-17740100-1340767640.gif

Thailand

A team with pace and plenty of zest, Thailand will be keen to return to Division One for the first time since 2009.

The Thai Rugby Union was one of the founding unions of the Asian Rugby Football Union in 1968 and has a long and colourful rugby tradition. This history was extended in 2008 when the brave Thais became the first team to win promotion in A5N history when they topped Division II.

They will face a tough test against Iran who will be very physical. If they get past this hurdle, the Thais will come up against the winners of the other semi-final between Malaysia and China in the final.

Source

After their triumph in Malaysia, I'm sure we're all eagerly anticipating the game against Division II champions India. I don't know where or when that is going to be held...

SC

A little off topic, but I know a lot of rugby fans also enjoy a bit of Aussie Rules. Thailand play Laos at the Thai Polo Club near Maprachan Lake, Pattaya, this Saturday at 1-30pm ko. Might be an interesting afternoon for anyone local.

Thailand will host India to see who keeps their world cup dream alive and progresses to Division 1 next year.

Thephasadin Stadium, July 14th (that's a week on Saturday - don't know what time). If its as exciting a game as Thailand's victory over Malaysia at Kelana Jayaat the beginning of last month, you're in for a treat

From http://asian5nations.com/node/684

"On July 14, the winners of the Division II and III championships, Thailand and India respectively, will play a single-match play-off to determine the team that advances in the Rugby World Cup qualification process for 2015.

The winner of Thailand v India, which will be played in Bangkok at Thephasadin Stadium, will advance directly to Division I of the HSBC Asian 5 Nations in 2014" (SC: Pretty sure that should read 2013)

SC

Edit: My 30-second research suggests that Thephasadin Stadium is the smaller ground adjacent to the National Stadium, next to National Stadium BTS.

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies, gentlemen and ladies; with all the excitement of the Challenge Cup semi-finals, I had forgotten about the most important match of the weekend; certainly the most important union match.

Thailand kept alive their world cup dreams with a convincing win over Division 2 Champions India at the Thephasadin Stadium.

No doubt if I had posted a reminder, more of you would have gone to swell the modest crowd numbers.

We can look forward to Thailand playing in Division One next year, against Khazakhstan, Sri Lanka and Chinese Taipei. You may well remember Chinese Taipei beating Thailand in the Division Two final next door at the National Stadium a little more than a year ago. The winner of Division I gets a crack at qualification fo the World Cup in the 2014 Asian Five Nations...

SC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Asian Five Nations fixtures list is up

Let's hope the teams had a bit more warning, as Thailand are on duty this afternoon in Colombo...

Divisions Two & Three are to be played in Petaling Jaya again, so I'll be there for the finals.

But for the time being, I'm in Tokyo to watch Scotland v USA in the Sevens Plate final...

SC

Sri Lanka and Thailand emerge victorious after first round of Division I

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/355252-international-rugby-fixtures/page-4#entry6256685

The tournament follows a round-robin format, with games on Wednesday and Saturday this week.

The winner progresses to the 2014 Asian Five Nations, with a chance of qualification for the World Cup in 2015.

SC

A thumping defeat by Sri Lanka sets up an exciting final day to Division I on Saturday; Thailand take on Chinese Taipei (that's Taiwan, to you and me) while Khazakstan try to block Sri Lanka's progress to the Top Five and a chance of World Cup qualification.  

Khazakstan recovered from their surprise opening loss to Thailand with a bonus point win over Taiwan, so a bonus point win over Sri Lanka with a big points margin will see them return to the Top Five from whence they were relegated last season.

I'm not sure how the ranking goes if teams are equal on points - whether it then depends on the results between two teams; nevertheless, if Khazakstan lose without a bonus point, and Chinese Taipei beat Thailand with a bonus point and by a big margin - as they did, last time the teams met, at the National Stadium in Bangkok a two years ago, if I'm not wrong - you can check back in this thread to see - then the three teams will be equal on points, each having beaten one of the others, and it will be down to tries scored, points difference, the phases of the moon and the tides of the sea to determine who drops down to Division Two.  A win or a bonus point loss for Thailand will see them hang on in Division I; something they have failed to do on previous visits.

For a more intelligent analysis, and a write-up of the games so far ...

http://asian5nations.com/node/768

SC

And Star Sports are showing the riugby live from Sri Lanka; the president shaking hands with the teams... his wee boys are playing for the national squad. Now we're standing up for the Khazak national anthem, followed by the Sri Lankan anthem; its a bit less slavically militarilistic; I would rate it better for dancing than marching.

And they take up position for the kick off.

I'm sure you'll all be disappointed to here that Chinese Taipei prevailed in the earlier match to condemn Thailand to relegation back to Division Two; I don't know the details of the match yet. Anyway, I'm going to concentrate on the game...

SC

And that's it for Khazakstan; Sri Lanka score their fourth try to secure a bonus point which will be enough to keep them in first place no matter what; though trailing 6 - 35 it's unlikely that Khazakstan will claw back the win.

Khazakstan suffering from the heat, poor handling and missed tackles, it looks like a long forty minutes ahead of them,...

SC

• 2 weeks later...

First game of the Asian Five Nations kicks off on Saturday at 12 noon, Thai Time, live on Star Sports and Eurosport, I think.

Newcomers the Philippines, after their meteoric rise through the divisions, travel to perennial champions Japan.

In the other match, Hong Kong host UAE, while Korea sit out the first round

SC

"... and sent them homewards, to think again"; a 121 - 0 reversal put a stop to Philippines meteoric rise through the ranks in Fukuoka against perennial champions Japan. shortly after, UAE fell 53-7 at the Football Club to hosts Hong Kong.

Next weekend Korea play their first game of the season at Al Ain in the Emirates, while the televised match from the Football Club will see Hong Kong host Japan, who have played 21 matches in the Five Nations, with 21 winning bonus points.

The top four team will be joined next year by Sri Lanka, playing for one World Cup space, while the second team goes into the repechage...

My enjoyment of yesterday's game was somewhat marred by the TV service being up the swanee thanks to True's latest upgrade, a slightly less than adequate internet connection and an overheating computer... Anyway, at 15 - 0 in the first quarter the only question remaining was what would be the margin, though I was surprised at 121...

SC

Korea are the first team to score against Japan this season, but that doesn't stop them being the third team to take a thumping , as they fall 64 - 5.

Hong Kong and Philippines kick off later this evening in Manila

SC

The Philippine Volcanoes justified their place in the Top Five by scoring 20 points against Hong Kong, although HKG ended comfortable 59 - 20 winners, keeping themselves on track for a second place in the Five Nations. Remember that next year's second-placed team pplays off in the Repechage for the World Cup in 2015, England.

SC