Bangkok Floods After Night Of Heavy Rain

george

in that only in Thailand were medieval cities NOT founded on high ground nearest to the river. Can anyone name any Thai city whose original centre was on high ground within the plain it now occupies? Even Mae Hong Song was built on the valley floor instead of on a hill. Chiang Rai, despite having a hill in the middle of the modern city, was built originally on the valley floor. Chiangmai, instead of being built on the gentle footslope of the mountain was built on the flood plain. Ayutthaya was built on a low lying river island. Bangers on a marsh. Khorat on a flat flood plain, Phimai - same, Lopburi - same etc etc etc.

As I said - som nam na.

they had more sense in those days as all buildings were constructed on stilts above the flooding level.

its only recently , after engineers and builders started going to university , that they have brought buildings down to ground level.

but its still ... som nom naa.. :o

I wonder how the new subway coped with all that water?

Pretty well I guess otherwise we would have read about it in the newspaper...

That's also the reason why you have to go up the stairs first in order to go down to the subway. If the water ever gets over the stairs then they have a "real" problem which will end up flooding the subway. But by then Sukhumvit road is about 2 meters underwater... (unlikely)

Cheers

SD

Please any water you don't want send down to Pattaya, we badly need rain and water down here.

don't worry, in a few weeks I will be in pattaya, and then there will be rain....

but will it rain water????? :o:D:D:D:D:D

I think this type of post is not appropriate for our forum......admins, what do YOU think ?

Regards,

Jem

Maybe it will rain cats and dogs!

QUOTE(Jai Dee @ 2005-06-01 10:23:59)

QUOTE(niceboy @ 2005-06-01 09:54:43)

Please any water you don't want send down to Pattaya, we badly need rain and water down here.

Absolutely... it's strange how the thunderstorms seem to be bypassing Pattaya this year... Rayong, Sri Ratcha, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Surin, and of course BKK have all had good heavy rain recently (from what I've read on TV anyway), and Pattaya is bone dry with water restrictions.

How about making Pattaya the rain hub of Thailand?

Absolutely... it's strange how the thunderstorms seem to be bypassing Pattaya this year... Rayong, Sri Ratcha, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Surin, and of course BKK have all had good heavy rain recently (from what I've read on TV anyway), and Pattaya is bone dry with water restrictions. :D

The storms are mssing Pattaya because you are EVIL :D:D:o HAVN'T YOU GUYS REALIZED THAT YET :D

IN FACT MAYBE THE GODS JUST WANT YOU TO DRY UP AND BLOW AWAY :D

I wonder how many people got blown in Pattaya today

Absolutely... it's strange how the thunderstorms seem to be bypassing Pattaya this year... Rayong, Sri Ratcha, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Surin, and of course BKK have all had good heavy rain recently (from what I've read on TV anyway), and Pattaya is bone dry with water restrictions. :D

The storms are mssing Pattaya because you are EVIL :D:D:o HAVN'T YOU GUYS REALIZED THAT YET :D

IN FACT MAYBE THE GODS JUST WANT YOU TO DRY UP AND BLOW AWAY :D

I wonder how many people got blown in Pattaya today

No rain but it is windy... :D

Bangkok floods after night of heavy rain 

The capital's drainage pipes have been designed to accept rainfall of only 60 millimetres, compared to the 82 millimetres of rain which fell on the afternoon of 30 May in Nong Jok district alone.

The Meteorological Department has forecast further torrential rain for 2-5 June, but the BMA claims that it has already made preparations and will be able to cope.

--TNA 2005-06-01

LOL.. love those wading sois.

Jolly GOOD JOB Khun Teeradej!!! ataboy

FYI: Usually "designs" have some factor of safety greater than 1.0, not less. Most interrested in how the "preparations" pan out.

Also would be interrested to know what radio station the "Meteorological Department" gets it's forecast from.

I wonder how the new subway coped with all that water?

That's also the reason why you have to go up the stairs first in order to go down to the subway. If the water ever gets over the stairs then they have a "real" problem which will end up flooding the subway. But by then Sukhumvit road is about 2 meters underwater... (unlikely)

Absolutely right about the reason for the profile of the stairs, but in addition to this the subway does have another line of defence.

If the water level looks like rising above the stairs, then flood boards are inserted into runners at the entrance, which 'should' provide another metre or so of protection. Besides the subway would be closed to the public by then anyway....I hope... : :o

Rags

Edited by Rags

Absolutely... it's strange how the thunderstorms seem to be bypassing Pattaya this year... Rayong, Sri Ratcha, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Surin, and of course BKK have all had good heavy rain recently (from what I've read on TV anyway), and Pattaya is bone dry with water restrictions.

Maybe the Raincoat Hub of Thailand ! :o

Maybe the Raincoat Hub of Thailand ! :D

Now that was funny!

:o

Edited by Jai Dee