Surely An Early Election Is The Answer

Livinginexile

We are having a General Election over "ere on May 6 which was only called last week..

Dosnt take very long if the will is there to do it and surely that is /would be better that any more bloody killings...

Democracy can of course be expensive ........but not with peoples lives..... :) ............

Please call it NOW

IMO Abhisit is the most intelligent PM Thailand has had.

Intelligence has little to do with either being a good leader or implementing "good" policies (although a lack of it could make things more of a problem).

..... and KhaoNiaw, I think you probably mean APCs (Armoured Personnel Carriers); an Espace or an Avanza is a "people carrier"!

We are having a General Election over "ere on May 6 which was only called last week..

Dosnt take very long if the will is there to do it and surely that is /would be better that any more bloody killings...

Democracy can of course be expensive ........but not with peoples lives..... :) ............

Please call it NOW

Here here...

This is the only way out!

Open, free general elections!

Abhisit would be out on his ass in a second, that's why they are running scared.

An early election solves nothing until the Thaksin issue is resolved.

I am tired of all the bloodshed. Any red demands except for Thaksin can be settled through legitimate parliamentary means. Only the Thaksin issue invites bloodshed from protesters. There will be no yellow shirted thugs on the street because the rice farmers want another baht per kg. There will be thugs if anyone tries to pave the way for the return of the demagogue.

Call an election without settling this problem, and you simply exchange red shirts for yellow ones, and fresh rioters for worn out ones.

If the reds are honest that this is not about Thaksin, then come up with a compromise that gets them the early elections they want in exchange for denouncing the demagogue, withdrawing his pardon petition, and passing some kind of law which guarantees he is done for good. Because that is the overriding concern of their oponents who will take to the streets if the reds get what they want.

Once this hard work is done, then elections are a reasonable solution. We can be sure there will be no more demonstrations, and the government can get back to work for the good of the whole country.

The time to solve the Thaksin problem is now. I want to see televised debates around this. New elections solve nothing without this, and I will not support them without this problem being addressed.

Very well thought out and written! Certainly an alternative to be considered...

Edited by mauiguy90

Doubt it, after the election another group will not agree, seize a city and than there has to be another election??

Have said it before, the reds should have accepted the offer of elections in 9 months. Both side would have won and lost some.

But that doesn't play into the hand of Mr T. By that time it is too late for him.

Most surely Mr T will have put the blocks on the 9 month Election offer by Abhisit,he has been out of power for almost 5

years and his patience to get his hands on the confiscated money is running out.

Doubt it, after the election another group will not agree, seize a city and than there has to be another election??

Have said it before, the reds should have accepted the offer of elections in 9 months. Both side would have won and lost some.

But that doesn't play into the hand of Mr T. By that time it is too late for him.

Most surely Mr T will have put the blocks on the 9 month Election offer by Abhisit,he has been out of power for almost 5

years and his patience to get his hands on the confiscated money is running out.

You are of course assuming that Khun T comes back,stands for election....and WINs...... :) ...wouldnt put money on it...

IMO Abhisit is the most intelligent PM Thailand has had.

Intelligence has little to do with either being a good leader or implementing "good" policies (although a lack of it could make things more of a problem).

..... and KhaoNiaw, I think you probably mean APCs (Armoured Personnel Carriers); an Espace or an Avanza is a "people carrier"!

I know. :)

"Are they helping to find unemployed jobs?"

If they're paying the protesters, they are.

"The time to solve the Thaksin problem is now. I want to see televised debates around this. New elections solve nothing without this, and I will not support them without this problem being addressed."

gregb, are you Thai?

I don't think the reds had any intention to negotiate in good faith.

I also think that if the government offered to give T back the seized money if everyone goes home, they'd be out of there in short order.