Any Bluegrass Pickers In Cm?

thailandbluegrass

Hi. I am living in the Mae Jo area of CM and am looking for anyone who plays Bluegrass music to get together for fun. I like jug band style and I play guitar/Harmonica, and sing. Would love to meet anyone else who plays iether mandolin, banjo, fiddle, Gut bucket bass (I have one) etc.

I am influenced by the Seldom Scene, Bluegrass revival, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Doc Watson etc.

Call me if you are interested at 089-250-1078 Tim

I am also new here so I'm wondering where and when are the best open stage jams here if anyone knows?

P.S I'm not sure if I can post my number here but if not could the moderator just delete it without closing my thread?

The Brasserie restaurant on the Ping River near the Riverside has very good musicians. They play nightly starting about 10:30

They are very good and play a variety of music. I started a thread about a month or so ago on the topic.

Thanx guys. I have hear of the brasserie but they are a house band there. I am looking for an open stage/open mic type bar where they have live jam sessionsor you can join in with the band but I do plan on going there Ian thnx.

The other one mentioned (The Garden) bye Greenside, is that a jam do you know mate or mostly house bands?

I willkeep looking and I'm sure the longer I'm here the more people I will meet etc and find out more but thanx so far guys. :)

Don't know of any jug or bg music but there is jamming on acoustic gits and lite percussion on Wed. and Sat. nights at the CU bar on Moon Muang rd, soi 1, quality varies with the lineup but have heard some nice music there and the vibe is quite friendly and open.

Talk to Jon at the Jonadda Guest House up the lane next to the Irish Pub on Ratchawhiti Road. (23/1 Ratchavithi Rd, Soi 2)

Jon is quite a talented muso and regularly plays at the Guitarman, if anyone knows about Bluegrass music in Chiang Mai, I am sure it would be Jon.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been to CM in over a year but there is a place called Baan Kub Doi out towards the 100 year stadium in CM that has a group of Thai bluegrass/country musicians who I believe play every night. Very friendly guys who will take recommendations and let you jam. Also a very nice setting just to hang out and eat. They claim to be among the best in Thailand. One of the guys is a talented multi-instrumentalist and they all play well but leaves a lot to be desired especially if you are comparing to musicians the the US (I just spent a month back and got to see David Grier solo, John Cowan Band and the Infamous Stringdusters! WOOHOO!!!) . Nevertheless they are hospitable, kind and have an interest in bluegrass/country/cowboy culture (as if they were intertwined).

Side note, last year there was a Country/Bluegrass Festival in December in Khao Yai around Christmas time. It was posted on thebluegrassblog.com. Didn't attend but I'm sure it was interesting. Also, last week I saw a young man with a banjo walking in Chatuchak Market in Bangkok.

If anyone needs/wants more info about Baan Kub Doi PM me and I will try and find the guy's email/phone number. I'm not using my comp right now so don't have the info.

Happy pickin

I live close to Baan Gup Doi & have been there several times in the last few months. I'm sorry to report that I've never seen a bluegrass band there. Whenever I go it's the same standard male singer/guitar player & female singer/egg shaker that you see at places all over town.

You might take a look at Sat Sanan. It's a small place across from the Shell station on Huay Kaew rd. Just down from Kad Suan Kaew. Not sure about the jam sessions but they have live music, and cover the genre your looking for. And it's a nice place to have a drink.....or 2 or..... :)

cr