Today's Songkran Pictures

Greenside

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not impressed by revellers who decide to soak me after they've seen I'm carrying a camera despite being asked to lay off. By the way, I just want to get it on record that I have nothing per se against nipple rings, tattoos, big guys with daft earrings or well built ladies with dubious colour sense.

Greenside

nice shots, what camera were you using & did you have a waterproof casing for it? (posted earlier but you may have missed it) :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice shots, what camera were you using & did you have a waterproof casing for it? (posted earlier but you may have missed it) :)

Sorry, I missed that. Canon 7D with a 24-105mm lens wrapped in a fancy plastic bag and sealed with masking tape.

Sorry, I missed that. Canon 7D with a 24-105mm lens wrapped in a fancy plastic bag and sealed with masking tape.

arh ok, thanks

look much better than what i could shoot with a compact

I think we saw you in the Taepae area, you took some shots of us. 3 of us took a tuk-tuk joyride that may be the most insane thing I've ever done. Is it possible to be wetter than sodden, drenched, waterlogged? We were heavily 'armed' but got the worst of it anyway. The Thais are the only ones with barrels full of ice water. Even on a blistering day it is VERY COLD.

I think we saw you in the Taepae area, you took some shots of us. 3 of us took a tuk-tuk joyride that may be the most insane thing I've ever done. Is it possible to be wetter than sodden, drenched, waterlogged? We were heavily 'armed' but got the worst of it anyway. The Thais are the only ones with barrels full of ice water. Even on a blistering day it is VERY COLD.

the look on peoples faces when they get a bucket load of ice water splashed on them- priceless :D

Greenside always does a great job. I have to hand it to photographers that have the guts to take out their gear to get a good Songkran shot! As for me, my old Lumix is on its last legs so I don't get too worried.

What a great two days of Songkran so far. Here are a few samples of the thousands of smiling faces today.....

post-498-1271248932_thumb.jpg post-498-1271248960_thumb.jpg

post-498-1271248980_thumb.jpg post-498-1271249002_thumb.jpg

post-498-1271249037_thumb.jpg post-498-1271249057_thumb.jpg

post-498-1271249076_thumb.jpg post-498-1271249173_thumb.jpg

Edited by T_Dog

With the farang bashing going on in different threads for songkran have you noticed how many farangs are in these photos? ZERO

There were a lot of farangs around ksk area gotlost. Yesterday and today. Actually two farang girls even got up on stage and danced in their bikinis :)

Heres some amateurish offerings. Stills from todays videos:

post-33493-1271259019_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259035_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259048_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259058_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259074_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259090_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259098_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259106_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259118_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259128_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259138_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259148_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1271259161_thumb.jpg

It's so blinking hot this year April....that I really haven't minded the occasional squirt or hose or gently thrown bucket.

I left my serious blaster at home for the first time in years.

This weapon will remove an eyeball at 20 paces. Really.

I decided to go pacifist this year, and the funny thing is....when you aren't packing heat, they are just gentle smiling squirts directed your way.

I have avoided the moat area, as I am not too fond of moat water. RTD knows what I'm referring to....mmm, moat water, mmmm....

Heretical comment as it seems, I will say it anyway.

Tourist numbers way down? Great.

Fewer tattooed soccer hooligans throwing buckets of ice water with rip-your-head-off force at some little old lady on a bicycle in full Lanna dress.

:)

Enjoy your Songkran, and sawasdee pii mai to all.

Thanks for the photos, gang. While fishing, I managed to drown a $1000 camera in a lake two weeks before songkran. Now I'm hunting for a new one. :):D

I normally use a little waterproof Pentax W30 if there is a chance of a soaking. :D

My first-ever long foray into madness was yesterday, traversing Old Lamphun Road from Nong Hoi to center of Lamphun and returning to Saraphi. We saw ten trillion Thais, not one Farang. Huge hoses, crazed Thais, some chubby and shirtless, all wet and happy. It was exhausting being doused countless times.

Final day today... I worry I caught an eye infection yesterday but that's easily handled. First off to the temple to make some merit, then back to the splashing.. It hasn't rained yet this year so we're obviously not done.

Here's one in traditional dress, waiting for the next target with a steely resolve..

post-64232-1271299132_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

835376257_PnFfT-M.jpg

Now, if the gals would just go braless I might stick around for songkran. :)

Of course, once they take off all that padding there isn't much to see anyway. :D

Hey Ian, my eyes tell me that these "girls" may be of the lady boy variety! Be careful what you hope for. Soi Cowboy here in Bangkok was chaotic and fun, Unfortunately both my camera and my mobile were inadequately protected by plastic bags and tape. Next year I will buy a waterproof digital for the event and leave the mobile at home!

A few from me taken on tuesday. It seemed busier than normal this year, maybe due to people coming to town from Bangkok where the Khaosan celebrations were cancelled? It took an hour and 45 minutes to get from the NE corner of the moat to Tha Pae in my truck but great fun and yes, that iced water is f f f f f freezing! :)

post-12876-1271301752_thumb.jpg post-12876-1271301804_thumb.jpg post-12876-1271301701_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

My first-ever long foray into madness was yesterday, traversing Old Lamphun Road from Nong Hoi to center of Lamphun and returning to Saraphi. We saw ten trillion Thais, not one Farang. Huge hoses, crazed Thais, some chubby and shirtless, all wet and happy. It was exhausting being doused countless times.

No farangs around Nong Hoi but here are a couple seen in town on Tuesday....

837344176_dC7tQ-M.jpg

837344054_iB4q5-M.jpg

Ah

hense the ref to nipple rings and dodgy colour sense :D

Good pics

(Are hense, dodgy, and colour really not in the dictionary???)

I think you'll find that hense is hence but beyond that I couldn't possibly comment... :)

I did check it, but Dictionary.com does have both!

Awesome day today, possibly the best..

Sadly though, no rain.. :)

Still, it was a good one, sad it's over. Have to wait a whole year..

We're headed up north tomorrow and the better half assures me that the party will still be going on up there!