Passport Put Through Washing Machine

I accidentally machine washed my girlfriend's 4 month old Philippine passport. Now it is a bit off a mess. The pages are all still intact but very crinkly.

All the entry and exit stamps are still readable although quite a bit of purple ink has run across the pages. The data page is still clear as is the tourist visa sticker. The passport photo has been washed out quite a bit because the ink has bleed through the page. It's still recognisable but not clear.

My problem is this...

It takes at least a month for the Philippine Embassy to issue a new passport but she needs to get an extension on her last tourist visa entry on May 11. We cannot get a new passport by that date.

My question is this.... Will the Immigration Office (Chonburi) give her a 30 day extension in her passport in such a condition? If not, what can we do? We can't do a border run on May 11 because they may not accept her passport at the Cambodian border in its present condition.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

It is really up to the immigration officer who will deal with her application for extension, but I think she should give it a try and explain that she will immediately apply for a new passport after getting the extension.

--

Maestro

It is really up to the immigration officer who will deal with her application for extension, but I think she should give it a try and explain that she will immediately apply for a new passport after getting the extension.

--

Maestro

We're 30 days away from May 11, but we need to find out asap so we can head up to Bangkok and make a new passport application. Would you suggest actually doing an extension application now or just going in there and asking someone?

Do you know what days the Chonburi office is closed this week?

The Public holidays for Songkran are 13-15 April. I suggest you go to immigration at the earliest opportunity, ie on Friday this week, explaining that you come early to have enough time to get a new passport before the extension will expire. The 30-day extension will be added onto the end of the current permission to stay.

--

Maestro

The Public holidays for Songkran are 13-15 April. I suggest you go to immigration at the earliest opportunity, ie on Friday this week, explaining that you come early to have enough time to get a new passport before the extension will expire. The 30-day extension will be added onto the end of the current permission to stay.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro. We'll head down there on Friday and see what happens.

Both Bangkok and Phuket immigration offices are now closed until Monday 19th April. Not sure about Chonburi or other immigration offices, but may well be the same.

Ok. It probably will be closed on Friday then and also on Monday 19th because that's Songkran day in Pattaya.

We will have to introduce you to GungaDin he is an expert on washing passports too.

Hang on there! You said he's an expert TOO.

I'm no expert. This is my very first try.

I'm trying to work out why you used this method to clean it? :)

We will have to introduce you to GungaDin he is an expert on washing passports too.

Beats dry cleaning cost. :D

Beats dry cleaning cost. :D

Perhaps he was trying to wash out the OVERSTAY stamps :D

You need to go to immigration on Monday that will be the earliest they will be open, talk to them. Then you need to go to The Philippine Embassy in Bangkok and apply for a replacement. Monday is also the earliest they will be open. This is not I repeat NOT a major disaster. <deleted> like this happens all the time. :)

This happened with my own passport in Thailand some years ago. Everything was still readable but the lamination was peeling away a bit in one corner. I got back to the UK without comment and even made one further trip to Europe, The Immigration Officer at the airport on that last trip said it looked a bit iffy and I should get it changed, but let me through. I guess that underlines the point that individual judgment and negotiation may have a role to play.