Are Courts Public Here

rafval

I just curious. We read of farang being arrested all the time for drugs etc etc but there are never any reports on their sentencing. Are the public not allowed to attend or report? is it not considered newsworthy? do most of the arrested buy their way out before it gets to court? just seems odd because in western countries the sentencing is usually reported on

A year & a half ago we had a group of Kamoies break into our house 4 out of 5 are in jail. No one other than the witnesses ,victims,lawyer or the indigents & thier immeadiate family are allowed in the court room. I am pretty sure it is that way in any case that goes to court. While Thailand is a real circus their courts are taken seriously.

In most cases here the arrested person either manages to get out at police level or if he/she ends up in court, they will spend considerable time in jail and eventually be taken to court for, what would be called an arraignment. The difference to US or European courts is that here, the defendant is alone. Not even his/her lawyer can be present. He/she is alone with the Judge and the prosecution who tell him or her that if he/she pleads guilty, the sentence he/she will no daubed receive will be cut in half. If he/she pleads not guilty he/she will face a full sentence.

Considering that most can not afford a good lawyer and even if you can, that there is no rule of disclosure and the prosecution is not obliged to present any evidence that may exonerate you, meaning you will have to proof your innocent's and are not able to bring your own forensic witnesses etc.. a case rarely goes to trial.

Most cases are completed at the arraignment with the accused pleading guilty and the Judge passing sentence there and than.

If a case does reach the upper floors of the court building, it is open and can be attended by anyone unless the court finds reason to make it a closed trial.

In most cases here the arrested person either manages to get out at police level or if he/she ends up in court, they will spend considerable time in jail and eventually be taken to court for, what would be called an arraignment. The difference to US or European courts is that here, the defendant is alone. Not even his/her lawyer can be present. He/she is alone with the Judge and the prosecution who tell him or her that if he/she pleads guilty, the sentence he/she will no daubed receive will be cut in half. If he/she pleads not guilty he/she will face a full sentence.

Considering that most can not afford a good lawyer and even if you can, that there is no rule of disclosure and the prosecution is not obliged to present any evidence that may exonerate you, meaning you will have to proof your innocent's and are not able to bring your own forensic witnesses etc.. a case rarely goes to trial.

Most cases are completed at the arraignment with the accused pleading guilty and the Judge passing sentence there and than.

If a case does reach the upper floors of the court building, it is open and can be attended by anyone unless the court finds reason to make it a closed trial.

A helpful and accurate account. One of the positive things about Thailand is the fact that they have thus far managed to limit (albeit not eliminate) the growth of the huge and immensely lucrative "Securing Acquittals for Guilty Defendants" industry which flourishes so perniciously in the West.

I would also like to know the outcome for people committing crimes against farangs.

I remember the sad case about a young New Zealand-er whom got executed in Pattaya by his GF. She had somebody from her village execute him very cold blooded.

I hope her and her companions rot in hel_l.

so the reason we dont hear about it is just lazy reporting?

Who? Howard and Niels accused of laziness? The cheek of some people!!!!!!!!!

I realize they have their hands full photographing dead people but maybe they could take on some more staff

I realize they have their hands full photographing dead people but maybe they could take on some more staff

Believe that news sources are only allowed to report details as outlined by the police. Any deviation from the "facts" is strongly discouraged. Lots of self censorship as they know what is going to be acceptable to the authorities. Publication of follow-up stories would only be at the request of the police. Failure to follow the proper procedure would likely mean unemployment.

-redwood

Come off it now. Next thing you will be saying they are not being impartial and only out to make a buck

Come off it now. Next thing you will be saying they are not being impartial and only out to make a buck

of course not, publishing photos of dead bodies is an important community service

Believe that news sources are only allowed to report details as outlined by the police. Any deviation from the "facts" is strongly discouraged. Lots of self censorship as they know what is going to be acceptable to the authorities. Publication of follow-up stories would only be at the request of the police. Failure to follow the proper procedure would likely mean unemployment.

-redwood

thats interesting. it sort of implies that the justice system is subservient to the police

ok guys, enough of that. After slagging off the press, police and court system in one roundhouse kick, I suggest it is best to have a look at some forum rules, in particular:

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

15) [...]. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

henceforth, this topic is :)