33 Y.o Wants A Retirement Visa.. Dai Mai?

Hi all,

I actually live in Thailand, but since I go back to my home country in europe twice in a year I always used tourist VISA (2 + 2 + 2 extensions = 6 months). So far so good... I do not need to work in Thailand I have already a good business outside of LOS. What is the best solution for my visa? How could I apply to a retirement visa or something like that? I can proof I have money on thai bank accounts more I have several international credit cards. Any suggestions? Since I want to buy a car here and I read that it would be more legal to have it with at non imm. visa and not on a tourist visa.

Thanks for suggestions.... :) I live in Phuket...

:)

I'm not an expert on it, but I believe that one of the requirements for a retirement visa is to be 50 years old or more.

If you were married to a Thai, and wanted to stay in Thailand with her, you could appply for a non O visa, and get an extension of your stay based on that marriage. You would need a marriage certificate for proof, and some other supporting documents, along with 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank...or an income of 40,000 Baht a month (I'm not sure that figure is right, but there is a monthly income amount required).

Or if you established a company in Thailand, you could get a work permit and a visa extension as long as you worked for or ran that company. I believe there are capital requirements (money you need to invest) and a minimum number of employees you need to hire...but if you meet those requirements you can establish a company in Thailand (as long as it is not in one of the prohibited occupations for foriegners) and live in Thailand on a long term visa extension and your work permit employed by or running that company.

Other than those two...and a visa extension by reason of education while attending a school in Thailand; I think you're out of luck.

But like I said, I'm not an expert on the subject.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

There has never been a report here of Thai immigration granting a retirement extension to anyone under age 50. Well technically there was some talk for a while about whether in Thai culture 49 is actually 50 (not really for legal purposes) but you get the point. There is no flexibility on the age requirement for that class of extension even if you were Bill Gates at 30.

Get yourself a Non-Immigrant-O visa with multiple entries valid for 12 months based on Visiting Friends/Relatives. The nearest consulate in the region: Perth - in Europe: Hull.

Must do visa runs every 90 days - if you leave Thailand and re-enter on or before you visa expires you will get an extra 90 days. In other words you can extend your stay up to 15 x 30 days.

Like you I'm not qualified for a retirement visa yet - I've been doing this for the past 4 years now. Visa runs can be a drag to some people, but in my case I don't mind it much - besides I travel a great deal anyway.

PM me if you need more info - good luck.

I was informed by a Thai lass with a brother in immigration that on the QT they had been told to issue retirement Visas to anyone that had 800kbht in a Thai bank account, no age requirement at all. You could always go along and try it!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Strange as it may seem

"I was informed by a Thai lass with a brother in immigration that on the QT they had been told to issue retirement Visas to anyone that had 800kbht in a Thai bank account, no age requirement at all. You could always go along and try it!"

Might work.

I have lived retired in CM for 9 years and really old hands, 20 years + often say that Immigration Officers, who are all Police Officers, often have their own way of Interpreting Thai Law as THEY see fit.

Friends in BKK have told me they do not do the 90 Day reporting in check, that once cost me B2,000 for being 8 days over, Sunday was day 7.

But Rules are Rules and THEY can play games.

A polite well dressed and turned out attitude helps when dealing with ALL Thai Authority.

john

Friends in BKK have told me they do not do the 90 Day reporting in check, that once cost me B2,000 for being 8 days over, Sunday was day 7.

Upto a couple of years ago, they didnt really bother with 90 reporting thing, even though it was law, now they are pushing it.

You have 7 days grace past your due date for 90 day report, therefore to get fined THB 2000, you were not 8 days over you had to be 15 days over your due date. The day of the week has no relevance...

For the OP....get a Thai Elite card, pretty sure there are a few availible for sale.....LOL....problem solved

Edited by Soutpeel

Thanks for all your answers! You are all great! You gave me good advices... I am thinking of... going to the immigration and show my bank accounts and ask if I can be considered RETIRED if it won't work I will ask for a non Imm B visa for business purposes without WP.. but I need to get more informaiton on this kind of visa... Consider the reason I am looking for a better visa : not to stay here longer, I already have this opportunity with a tourist visa 3 + 3 isssued 2 times every year, BUT to buy a CAR completely legally way... :):D Thanks to all.

I will again advise it is a complete waste of time to even ask for either a retirement visa (O-A obtained abroad) or an extension of an O based on retirement in Thailand. Do what you want. Can it hurt to ask for something that is impossible? Well the officer might think you are foolish, I don't know.

If you don't believe me, see post 12 from a member with more authority than me on these matters, though I am 100 percent confident I am correct.

Edited by Jingthing

You do not have to be working for a Thai corporation with work permit for a 2.1(2)'Doing Business' Non-Imm 'B' visa -- It does require however a Letter of Invitation and detailed support from a Thai corporation. You cannot just ask for one from an Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Sciack

In your situation it is easy, if you have the papers in order to show you have wealth, find a friendly consulate who will give you a 1 year O visa multiples entries without problem.

Read some posts with friendly consulates

Mai Dai.

Retirement at 33, whatever next. :)

Check out consulates that will issue a one year Non Imm multi-entry visa.

That will suit your travel plans. You will have to leave every 90 days for a border run,

but you will have the visa to buy a car and get a local driving licence.

Thanks. I will follow your advices.. I am gonna looking for a friendly consulate... where can i find it? Do you mean I have to go back to Italy? Or where? I heard about malaysia... I am not sure about it... Thanks again..

Thanks. I will follow your advices.. I am gonna looking for a friendly consulate... where can i find it? Do you mean I have to go back to Italy? Or where? I heard about malaysia... I am not sure about it... Thanks again..

Hmmmm obviously you haven't been reading all the advices :) if you're going to apply for the Non-O based on visiting friends and relatives (as far as I know) the (only) two friendly consulates are: Perth (Australia) and Hull (England).

You will need to take with you to Perth a signed copy of ID card/passport of Thai friend, and suggest a short note from Thai friend addressed to the consulate requesting the issue of the visa. Note the consulate is only open Tuesdays and Thursdays for visas; drop off application in the morning and collect in the afternoon.

In Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain (Der Zauberberg) HC goes to visit his cousin at the mountain sanatorium but ends up staying for 7 years. For how many years can one claim to be visiting friends?

However, as the OP stated that he has a very good business outside the Kingdom, he may be able to qualify with the right maneuvers for a long-term 'B' Visa of the no-WP kind.

Hmmmm obviously you haven't been reading all the advices :) if you're going to apply for the Non-O based on visiting friends and relatives (as far as I know) the (only) two friendly consulates are: Perth (Australia) and Hull (England).

Add Brisbane (Australia)

In Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain (Der Zauberberg) HC goes to visit his cousin at the mountain sanatorium but ends up staying for 7 years. For how many years can one claim to be visiting friends?

However, as the OP stated that he has a very good business outside the Kingdom, he may be able to qualify with the right maneuvers for a long-term 'B' Visa of the no-WP kind.

In the application form the last 12 years i never write ' visiting friends ' i just email the consulate and told this person, i have mean and like to live in Thailand, if they are certain you not going to look for a teaching job because you short of money, i do not see the problem.

Anyway that is my case, when you find the friendly consulate, they will give you a 1 year O multiple entries years after years, i am 52 now and just decide to go through the retirment prossess.

from http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes:

- other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

I would like to live in Thailand and have the means is not one of the official purposes. What transpires between a Visa applicant and any given Thai Embassy or Consulate is between them -- or as the TGs say "Up to you".

Good question :) - Indeed the doors are closing to get a Non-O based on visiting friends. I used to get this visa in Bali for the 1st 3 years until finally (last year) that they can no longer issue this visa to me on those grounds :D . That's when I found out the friendly Perth Consulate. But I'm quite sure they sooner or later they too will catch up. I'm lucky as I only need to be on this type visa 1 more time and then I will be 50 and eligible for retirement visa. So my advice for the OP is to use this visa thru Perth until you no longer can and then worry about about (hopefully) in 10 years!!! :D

Add Brisbane (Australia)

I heard Brisbane will not accept Non-O based on visiting friends - however if you can proof you own a condo (property) you can get a Non-O with multi entries. Can anyone confirm this??? I have a friend on the Gold Coast and would like to go there next year for my Non-O visa instead of Perth.