Broadband Overtakes Dial-up In Uk

Bangkok Barry

This from The Independent in the UK (I put in the bold)

The number of high-speed broadband internet connections in the UK has surpassed the original, dial-up subscriptions that launched the internet age more than a decade ago.

It has taken little more than three years for broadband connections to overtake dial-up, thanks to intense competition which has ushered in dozens of high-speed internet service providers, offering a rapidly expanding range of content and services as well as simply supplying fast connections.

New figures from BT Group, which operates the UK's main telecoms infrastructure, reveal that, including cable connections, there are now more than 7.4 million broadband customers, surpassing for the first time the number of much slower, dial-up connections in the country.

It is widely accepted that the full potential of the internet for consumers and business will only be unleashed once broadband connections are a common, everyday feature of most homes. Broadband connections are now available to 99.6 per cent of the UK population which, according to Ben Verwaayen, the chief executive of BT, is equivalent to the proportion with running water.

Long way to go before Thailand becomes the broadband hub of Asia (actually, a fight it lost years ago and can never catch up on). How, with a telecoms tycoon as PM, is Thailand so far behind?

But at least it's cheap in the Land of Smiles, maybe 35-40 percent of the UK price.

Barry, what the article fails so say is that a lot of communities in the UK had to actively campaign to have BB enabled. BT did not just roll it out. Lots of people started BB campaign websites putting pressure on BT.

BT were demanding a certain number of pre-registrations before they would enable the local exchanges.

Barry, what the article fails so say is that a lot of communities in the UK had to actively campaign to have BB enabled. BT did not just roll it out. Lots of people started BB campaign websites putting pressure on BT.

BT were demanding a certain number of pre-registrations before they would enable the local exchanges.

BT can be a bit slow sometimes to recognise a money-making opportunity. I worked in the telecoms/alarm business for 20 years and we sold a system to BT that made a healthy profit, but nothing special, because BT wouldn't equip all exchanges in the country with our equipment. When they eventually decided to "roll-out" the system to all exchanges, the system took off like a rocket, making my company a fortune and this small BT department a good profit too. Thanks, BT, for helping fund my early retirement in LoS! :o

First - what's this got to do with Thailand?

Second - It's only true if you call 512Kbps broadband. Sorry but in the US, South Korea or Japan you'd be laughed at for suggesting that...

Admittedly, BT now does 2Mbps, but still with only 512Kbps upstream. My connection in Thailand is faster... (at least within Thailand)

CAT Telecom should be threatened with having their monopoly revoked for having such diabolically awful international connections though.

Given that I have just (last month) managed to get a phone line after 10 years waiting, the pipe dream for Thailand is that one day most people living up-country might even be lucky enough to get dial-up!

I now am on the ToT waiting list for ADSL. So, braodband for me might only be another decade away.

I access TV and internet through the Prime Minister's main competitor.

And am very happy with it, too.