Citizens Of Bangkok

padfoot

Where are the citizens of Bangkok? Their city has been taken over. The general of the army wants to surrender. The police hide in their compound, refusing to do anything. There are thousands of Thais who have been forced out of their jobs. These people make very low wages and are now coming up on two weeks without pay. Will that last a month or longer. How about those owners of small businesses who have closed for two weeks. The bus routes have been altered; the sky train was closed for a day. Why do the people of Bangkok do nothing. This is their city. Can no one organize some rallies? Do the people care so little for their fellow citizens? for their city? Their army and police will do nothing. Why do the citizens of Bangkok no stand up for themselves?

Bangkok is a big city and a lot of areas are not affected at all so a lot of people don't care I guess and just go about their business.

I was in Huaykwang last week and not much happening there except for a few red banded tuktuks outside of Jusco's.

There was some sort of protest by pink shirts about two weeks ago outside Lumpini but in comparison to the red shirt movement their numbers were pretty small.

It's only a matter of time before Bangkokians say enough is enough. When that happens, the civil war will commence and then the coup. These are sad times indeed for our kingdom, I pray that all sides can put aside their differences for the sake of the country. The people must think for themselves and be accepting to one another. Not to be brainwashed by the continual rhetoric of those with personal vendettas. We all must be as one.

Depends what the OP means by "the citizens of Bangkok".

Does he mean those who live in Bangkok or those who are from Bangkok and live in Bangkok?

The "Their city has been taken over", doesnt quite ring true to the many who live in the same moo baan I live in.

Right now the moo baan is like a ghost town, most of the inhabitants have gone to what they consider to be their home.

My neighbours range from people from Phae, Chiang Mai, Nakorn Sawan Petchabun, Surin, Chanthaburi, Lop Buri, Sara Buri, Ayuttaya, Rayong, etc etc.

None of these people consider themselves as Bangkokians, they are here for one reason only, work.

All these people still have family and land in the provinces and fully intend to return to these provinces when they eventually retire.

Havent heard anything about the "thousands of Thais who have been forced out of their jobs", where does that come from?

The area I live in isn't affected by protests, people going about their normal routine.

The people I know of are too busy standing up for themselves and their families every day to get involved in someone elses struggle.

Bangkok it allot larger than one Tourist street and an intersection. You wouldn't say the whole of London had been brought to a standstill just because of a Demo at Oxford Circus. Bangkok is 99% fully functional, people working in that area have the right to feel worried about their jobs, but 2 of the largest employers on that intersection are Big C and Central Department Stores, If I was in the shoes of an employee I'd ask about a transfer to an unaffected branch if my hours were being seriously affected. Its the self employed and small retailers with fixed premises I feel sorry for as they can't just roll their shop to another pitch like so many of the street vendors can.

I support neither red nor yellow but my daily life is affected.... wondering if the BTS will be open to go to work or to get home from, if the protesters are coming to my workplace or living area? Friends of mine, working in the main malls, have gone 2 weeks unpaid on already streched minimal incomes. It is greatly affecting tourism and the economy.

But what is the alternative?

Get angry, protest too, cause more bad feeling and more bloodshed?

I hope not.

The thousands comes from all the workers in those malls, the hotels and shops that are now closed. The number of employees in some of those department stores number in the hundreds. Then add in all the maids, cleaning people, hotel clerks and the people working at over 100 restaurants in Central World. They add up and these are just ordinary working people. They are not rich. They are just trying to earn a living. Depriving them of a pay check is not democracy.

citisens of bangkok, including those ones from the closed shops, hotels etc are joining protests. Some went back home for an extended holidays for songkran.

street protests are not like occupying public buildings, for example airports - the businesses around can be still working, if they choose to. Also the workers can come to work, even if the company is closed for business, and do many other jobs (inventory, maintanance, refurbishement, cleaning etc or concentrate on catalogue sales, direct marketing by phone ect). Some workers can be moved temporarily to the other branches in bangkok or the other towns.

some shops, for example restaurants, but all other kind of shops as well, might choose to open food stalls on the streets, to get income from the protesters.

of course there is a security issue - but the protesters are peaceful and don't have any pland for the public building accupations. However, there is still a risk, that the government will try again to cause a mayhem, similar to this from the last saturday, and in that case there the local businesses would have to close down for long and invest a lot to bring back operations back.

the government promissed already to compansate businesses, especially in the tourism, which are loosing income because of the protests.

there was yestarday a rally by the victory monument - 400 attended.

the planned PAD demonstration for this coming sunday was cancelled, instead there would be a public dabate at one of the bangkok universities, about future of politics in thailand.

democracy doesn't have a price tag - it's worth more for the citisens and for the whole country than lost income of a few local businesses or unpaid workers.

in some countries workers go on strikes lasting weeks and months - it's tight for them, but they are fighting for thei rights and are ready to make sacrifices in order to gain their long term goals

Edited by londonthai

Before the Songkran break there were increasing stories of the intimidation factor rising from red shirts in the city. I understand people are looking for a leader but right now are hesitant to get behind the PAD after the airport shut down. I think the PAD are also all to aware any activities on their behalf could only destabilise the situation further.

It will be interesting to see if things have cooled after the break tomorrow, or whether the videos of the events on national TV are making any impact.

The thousands comes from all the workers in those malls, the hotels and shops that are now closed. The number of employees in some of those department stores number in the hundreds. Then add in all the maids, cleaning people, hotel clerks and the people working at over 100 restaurants in Central World. They add up and these are just ordinary working people. They are not rich. They are just trying to earn a living. Depriving them of a pay check is not democracy.

:D

Absolutely right. Although much of Bangkok is unaffected directly many people are finding it hard to make a living due to the protests. It's not only those who work in the protest areas....the traffic jams and blocked traffic has affected everyone to some degree. Schools have been closed also.

But I will admit that much of Bangkok stills goes on with at least a semblance of normal life.

As to the question,"Where are the citizens of Bangkok?", the answer is still the same as always. They are trying to make a living as best they can in the circumstances. They always have and they always will.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

citisens of bangkok, including those ones from the closed shops, hotels etc are joining protests. Some went back home for an extended holidays for songkran.

street protests are not like occupying public buildings, for example airports - the businesses around can be still working, if they choose to. Also the workers can come to work, even if the company is closed for business, and do many other jobs (inventory, maintanance, refurbishement, cleaning etc or concentrate on catalogue sales, direct marketing by phone ect). Some workers can be moved temporarily to the other branches in bangkok or the other towns.

some shops, for example restaurants, but all other kind of shops as well, might choose to open food stalls on the streets, to get income from the protesters.

of course there is a security issue - but the protesters are peaceful and don't have any pland for the public building accupations. However, there is still a risk, that the government will try again to cause a mayhem, similar to this from the last saturday, and in that case there the local businesses would have to close down for long and invest a lot to bring back operations back.

the government promissed already to compansate businesses, especially in the tourism, which are loosing income because of the protests.

there was yestarday a rally by the victory monument - 400 attended.

the planned PAD demonstration for this coming sunday was cancelled, instead there would be a public dabate at one of the bangkok universities, about future of politics in thailand.

democracy doesn't have a price tag - it's worth more for the citisens and for the whole country than lost income of a few local businesses or unpaid workers.

in some countries workers go on strikes lasting weeks and months - it's tight for them, but they are fighting for thei rights and are ready to make sacrifices in order to gain their long term goals

:):D Are you serious, oh yeah nothing like closing the airports...If, with strong emphasis on the word if you actualy lived in Bangkok maybe you wouldnt see it that way. Hmm and last time I checked opening my buisness in central world isnt a option, they (red shirts) are holding me hostage, along with a few thousand other buisness owners. And what does this have to do with democracy, just because i use the word....dosent make it true. Vote buying/selling undermines the whole concept, as does being paid to spout off about it. I for one would love to know what rights they are fighting for... What is it that they want that they dont have already? Please explain to me i honestly would like to know?