Australian Tourist Dies After Thai Street Attack

bridge

I have just spoke to AAP in Canberra, Australia and vented my disgust with regards to the Insurance company. I directed AAP to the TV link and the journo I spoke to said they may do more on it now due to the interest being generated.

Also the journo I spoke to said that DFAT did not release the name of the Insurance company.

Bridge

Thanks for doing this.

It won't bring this unfortunate man back, but it might help prevent similiar cases in the future.

From the description of what occurred and the time lapse bewteen the assualt and death, this death was thoroughly preventable. His death was as much due to lack of proper medical care as it weas to the original injury. And unlike so many, he had the forethought and repsonsibility to have taken out an insurance policy. :)

What happens if you book a tour with the locally based representative of a foreign tour operator (sold in any hotel to their clients, who booked with them overseas) .These foreign tour operators use local transportation and tour agencies, airport buses ect.. The tourists do not have a work permit for their holiday. Who pays if an accident happens on one of these tours??? Anyone knows??

Insurance policy, yes...

I had a near death experience 3 weeks ago, when the minibus (rot-tour) to Bangkok drove too fast during rain and wet road. The driver was only 19 years old and probably wasn't skilled enough with driving. The minibus slided off the road and hit a concrete pole for electricity on the side. The woman to the right of me got her head smashed and died at the spot. Her blood were all over me. The hit was so great that her body changed seat and ended up under my back. I basically sat in her lap after the hit. Where the woman sat, used to be my favorite seat. That particular day I came a little late to the station and found the seat already taken. I escaped the incident with one broken rib other minor things on my right arm and side, which still today could cause sporadic pain.

Anyway... The minibus did have an insurance. All the people that traveled in the bus, will receive compensation for hospitalization and lost property etc. All people EXCEPT ME! The reason? Insurance policies!!! I am a foreigner and doesn't have a work permit. That's why I won't receive a single Baht in compensation for my pain, medical treatment, lost shoes, blood soaked and trashed clothes. Of course I was angry. I've paid for the bus ticket just like anyone else in the bus. But nope!

So... Traveling by minibuses (or big buses?) and you're not having a work permit, the bus insurance won't compensate you a single Baht in case of an accident.

Just to let you guys know...

Sorry, I needed a while to understand that. They didn't pay for any expenses because you were not holding a work permit? I was always thinking that you need a work permit to work in this country. And tourists, who bring good money into this country like to travel, often in a bus. If that's true, nobody should come to Thailand for a holiday. I hope you did try all ways, I can't believe such a inhuman behavior. Please write more details about it in an extra forum, that's more than interesting for all foreigners who like to travel through the land of whys.

What happens if you book a tour with the locally based representative of a foreign tour operator (sold in any hotel to their clients, who booked with them overseas) .These foreign tour operators use local transportation and tour agencies, airport buses ect.. The tourists do not have a work permit for their holiday. Who pays if an accident happens on one of these tours??? Anyone knows??

Edited by silk

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance policy, yes...

I had a near death experience 3 weeks ago, when the minibus (rot-tour) to Bangkok drove too fast during rain and wet road. The driver was only 19 years old and probably wasn't skilled enough with driving. The minibus slided off the road and hit a concrete pole for electricity on the side. The woman to the right of me got her head smashed and died at the spot. Her blood were all over me. The hit was so great that her body changed seat and ended up under my back. I basically sat in her lap after the hit. Where the woman sat, used to be my favorite seat. That particular day I came a little late to the station and found the seat already taken. I escaped the incident with one broken rib other minor things on my right arm and side, which still today could cause sporadic pain.

Anyway... The minibus did have an insurance. All the people that traveled in the bus, will receive compensation for hospitalization and lost property etc. All people EXCEPT ME! The reason? Insurance policies!!! I am a foreigner and doesn't have a work permit. That's why I won't receive a single Baht in compensation for my pain, medical treatment, lost shoes, blood soaked and trashed clothes. Of course I was angry. I've paid for the bus ticket just like anyone else in the bus. But nope!

So... Traveling by minibuses (or big buses?) and you're not having a work permit, the bus insurance won't compensate you a single Baht in case of an accident.

Sorry, I needed a while to understand that. They didn't pay for any expenses because you were not holding a work permit? I was always thinking that you need a work permit to work in this country. And tourists, who bring good money into this country like to travel, often in a bus. If that's true, nobody should come to Thailand for a holiday. I hope you did try all ways, I can't believe such a inhuman behavior. Please write more details about it in an extra forum, that's more than interesting for all foreigners who like to travel through the land of whys.

Well... I don't carry a work permit.

I got a Non Immigration O, married to a Thai female. Grandfather rules, since I applied before the major rules change. I'm (with my wife) running an Internet Café shop in the town I live in. Been doing this for almost 10 years now and have been economically fine from it. I've become a millionaire on it, but been doing quite okay and able to do as I like more or less during this time. More spare time and freedom than I would've working in my own country during this time.

Anyway...

I can tell you more details about the accident and my confrontation afterwards with the young drivers father, who rejected all accusations that his son have been a reckless unexperienced driver. Since I were in the actual minibus, I verbally gave him a round in Thai language telling him at the hospital how disrespectful he was to all of us who have suffered from this accident and then try to save his son's and family's face by telling everyone that it was the bus itself's fault. I got applause afterwards from the rest of the bus victims.

But the most important is of course what the insurance guy told me. Two weeks after the incident, there were a meeting at the police station in the area where the accident occurred. I went there to tell the real and true story of what happened, in case the drivers father tried to plant a story just to save face. I also wanted the expenses paid by the insurance company, who had a representative attending as well. During the meeting, I told the police exactly what happened and what the cause of the accident were. When it came to claims, the insurance guy asked to see my work permit. I told him (and showed my passport) that I don't have a work permit, since me and my wife runs a shop here. I don't work myself, since we have employees. I do have a "Non Imm O" though. The insurance guy just told me: -Sorry! Since you don't have any Work Permit, you can't receive any compensation from the insurance. I went angry and told him that I have paid the full bus ticket just as anyone else. So why will I then not be compensated? Sorry, the guy said. These are the insurance policies.

I don't know, but... One theory is that the bus owner paid the cheapest policy he could get, which doesn't include foreigners. I don't know this. It's just a speculation from my part. Anyway the insurance didn't cover me, just because I didn't have a work permit. If this is 100% correct and the insurance guy doesn't just try to bullshit me, then a lot of foreigners in this country won't receive a Baht in case of accident when traveling around (or whatever) in this country. Maybe it is expected that every foreigner must have an personal insurance if something happens.

It would be good for every expat or visitor in this country to know about!

Edited by xenomorph

Insurance policy, yes...

I got a Non Immigration O, married to a Thai female. Grandfather rules, since I applied before the major rules change. I'm (with my wife) running an Internet Café shop in the town I live in. Been doing this for almost 10 years now and have been economically fine from it. I've become a millionaire on it, but been doing quite okay and able to do as I like more or less during this time. More spare time and freedom than I would've working in my own country during this time.

Anyway...

I can tell you more details about the accident and my confrontation afterwards with the young drivers father, who rejected all accusations that his son have been a reckless unexperienced driver. Since I were in the actual minibus, I verbally gave him a round in Thai language telling him at the hospital how disrespectful he was to all of us who have suffered from this accident and then try to save his son's and family's face by telling everyone that it was the bus itself's fault. I got applause afterwards from the rest of the bus victims.

But the most important is of course what the insurance guy told me. Two weeks after the incident, there were a meeting at the police station in the area where the accident occurred. I went there to tell the real and true story of what happened, in case the drivers father tried to plant a story just to save face. I also wanted the expenses paid by the insurance company, who had a representative attending as well. During the meeting, I told the police exactly what happened and what the cause of the accident were. When it came to claims, the insurance guy asked to see my work permit. I told him (and showed my passport) that I don't have a work permit, since me and my wife runs a shop here. I don't work myself, since we have employees. I do have a "Non Imm O" though. The insurance guy just told me: -Sorry! Since you don't have any Work Permit, you can't receive any compensation from the insurance. I went angry and told him that I have paid the full bus ticket just as anyone else. So why will I then not be compensated? Sorry, the guy said. These are the insurance policies.

I don't know, but... One theory is that the bus owner paid the cheapest policy he could get, which doesn't include foreigners. I don't know this. It's just a speculation from my part. Anyway the insurance didn't cover me, just because I didn't have a work permit. If this is 100% correct and the insurance guy doesn't just try to bullshit me, then a lot of foreigners in this country won't receive a Baht in case of accident when traveling around (or whatever) in this country. Maybe it is expected that every foreigner must have an personal insurance if something happens.

Only another example to make something more understandable. Let’s say you’re driving on a motorcycle and you’re having an accident. Even if it’s Mr. Somtham’s bike from another province the insurance will have to pay for your expenses.

The sad thing: A motorbike insurance only covers 13,000 baht. These people were lying to you by telling you foreigners wouldn’t be included. Such insurance is paid by the number of passenger seats, not nationalities.

Do you really think that there’s a company who don’t insure foreigners? The reason why this guy was bullshitting you is pretty simple. They had the cheapest insurance they could get, and you were the rich farlang. Good that not more happened to you. They wouldn’t have any chance if you’d go to court.

P.S. Would be similar if a cop would tell me I need to have a work permit to drive on a motorbike.........

Only another example to make something more understandable. Let's say you're driving on a motorcycle and you're having an accident. Even if it's Mr. Somtham's bike from another province the insurance will have to pay for your expenses.

The sad thing: A motorbike insurance only covers 13,000 baht. These people were lying to you by telling you foreigners wouldn't be included. Such insurance is paid by the number of passenger seats, not nationalities.

Do you really think that there's a company who don't insure foreigners? The reason why this guy was bullshitting you is pretty simple. They had the cheapest insurance they could get, and you were the rich farlang. Good that not more happened to you. They wouldn't have any chance if you'd go to court.

P.S. Would be similar if a cop would tell me I need to have a work permit to drive on a motorbike.........

If you could verify that, I would be most grateful. Then I can take a new debate with the Insurance Company!

Best regards,

Edited by xenomorph

Thailand is now, sadly, getting more dangerous than it used to be. That region around Prasat is a particularly poor one and that will have had a bearing. Did the victim know his attackers? Did they single him out for a reason or would have any falang got the same treatment? These are questions that need to be addressed. His wife should know the answers. It is a terrible situation. If this gets onto the news in Europe, tourism in Thailand will be dead too.

Just send this article to a couple of newspapers around the world, they will print it.

I did

Only another example to make something more understandable. Let's say you're driving on a motorcycle and you're having an accident. Even if it's Mr. Somtham's bike from another province the insurance will have to pay for your expenses.

The sad thing: A motorbike insurance only covers 13,000 baht. These people were lying to you by telling you foreigners wouldn't be included. Such insurance is paid by the number of passenger seats, not nationalities.

Do you really think that there's a company who don't insure foreigners? The reason why this guy was bullshitting you is pretty simple. They had the cheapest insurance they could get, and you were the rich farlang. Good that not more happened to you. They wouldn't have any chance if you'd go to court.

If you could verify that, I would be most grateful. Then I can take a new debate with the Insurance Company!

Best regards,

I don't need to verify that, please ask any lawyer. The problem might be that it's already too late to take them to court. I'd suggest to ask a lawyer, the bus owner might pay at least most of it. Nobody here likes to see cops or the court. Good luck!

Insurance policy, yes...

Anyway...

Just asking... Did you check with a lawyer that this is legal?

Maybe the Insurance guy was trying to blow you off with Hot Air.. You know how Thai hate being confrontational.. they won't even return things at a store, or take store credit when they are entitled to cash.

If I were you, I would consult a lawyer. This doesn't sound right.. and you should fight if they are trying to screw you!

MY father once sued an Insurance company in Canada that wanted to depreciate jewelry that was stolen.. He won and set a precedent... Jewelry is now insured at appraised value. Fight.. and set your own precedent.

Right is Right.

CS

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

Minister For Foreign Affairs - Leader of the House

[email protected]

By now you should no doubt be well aware of the tragic death of Mr. Andrew Oake (An Australian Citizen) in Thailand.

Since the incident only came to light today on a local Thailand expat forum (thaivisa.com) it has had nearly 8000 views in a very few short hours of time. By tomorrow, I would expect number to double at the very least. You can follow the current forum at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3507560

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oake. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won’t.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault’s on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Minister, I look forward to your prompt response, which I will advise now will be posted on the Thaivisa forum.

Regards

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

By now you should no doubt be well aware of the tragic death of Mr. Andrew Oake (An Australian Citizen) in Thailand.

Since the incident only came to light today on a local Thailand expat forum (thaivisa.com) it has had nearly 8000 views in a very few short hours of time. By tomorrow, I would expect number to double at the very least. You can follow the current forum at:

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oake. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won't.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault's on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Minister, I look forward to your prompt response, which I will advise now will be posted on the Thaivisa forum.

Regards

Great initiative!!!

With all my support!

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oake. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won’t.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault’s on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Regards

WILL KEEP UPDATED - BRIDGE

This is an automatically generated response.

Thank you for your email to Stephen Smith MP, Federal Member for Perth.

Due to the large volume of emails that we receive each day, we are unable to acknowledge each email personally.

If you, a family member or a friend are overseas and require urgent consular assistance, please contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 (internationally) or 1300 555 135 (for the cost of a local call within Australia).

If you have a passport inquiry, please contact the Australian Passport Office on 131 232 (for the cost of a local call). Hours of operation are 8am to 8pm (Eastern Standard Time) weekdays and 8:30am to 5pm weekends and most public holidays.

If your email relates to a foreign affairs matter, it will be forwarded to the Minister’s Parliament House office in Canberra for consideration by that office.

If you live in the electorate of Perth and Mr Smith is your local Federal Member of Parliament, please ensure that you also provide your postal address.

Thank you again for taking the time to email Stephen Smith MP, Federal Member for Perth.

hmmm.. sounds like the travel insurance wanted to save a dime and that cost him his life. I wonder if they can be held accountable.

And yes its real bad to get attacked like that here in Thailand, i hope they get the guys but if there are no more witnesses then it would be hard.

sounds like Norwich Union insurance england (allegedly) i would never use them now

A number of posts advancing theories about the possible motive for the attack which were derogatory to the deceased and/or his family have been deleted.

I realize that incidents like this create in people a need to believe that somehow the victims was to blame because it helps them feel safer i.e. "it couldn't happen to me".

But it could.

And shame on those who posted such things.

Serious shame.

Thailand is now, sadly, getting more dangerous than it used to be. That region around Prasat is a particularly poor one and that will have had a bearing. Did the victim know his attackers? Did they single him out for a reason or would have any falang got the same treatment? These are questions that need to be addressed. His wife should know the answers. It is a terrible situation. If this gets onto the news in Europe, tourism in Thailand will be dead too.

:)

Thanks for your post, I totally agree. But Thailand isn't getting more dangerous than it used to be. It's just bad to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The victim might not have known his attackers, and you were right that his wife should know the answers.

Four Thais were really knocking me out pretty badly a few years ago, already lying on the street, bleeding and they kept on kicking me for no reason. They broke my nose, some ribs and other injuries. It was just nasty. My wife was with me, not leaving me alone for a second, trying to stop them. Why would a Thai run away looking for help in the middle of nowhere?

All the speculations that Jaba addicted freaks did that doesn't help him, it's too late. Read between the lines.

It is a very terrible situation and I'd like to send my condolences to his family. Andrew may you rest in peace.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. If that happened to me, I would be on a one way plane out

of here never to return, why did you decide to stay?

Edited by wallhigh

It sounds like this guy was a victim on more than one count.

First, a victim of the murderous <deleted> who attacked him.

Second, a victim of his bureaucratic insurance company.

Third - possibly - a victim of the hospitals/doctors who (mis?)treated him.

R.I.P. Poor bastard.

One thing I've learned in my time here, don't trust the hospitals in Bangkok. Some are good, some of the time. Some others are absolutely terrible.

Foreigners are viewed as walking insurance policies and overpricing is rampant amongst the name-brand private 'for-profit' hospitals. I have been involved in cases where U.S. and Australian-based insurance companies have looked at the bills sent to them by these hospitals and screamed bloody murder.

Other cases I know about involve an extraordinary amount of incompetence and neglect on the part of doctors and other hospital staff. People that go into hospital for minor complaints and end up dying there. Then it is hushed up and the hospital denies all responsibility.

The legal system in Thailand is not big on negligence claims, so running a hospital this way can be very profitable.

Sounds like the insurance company knew how much the Thai hospital would overcharge and was doing everything in its power to avoid a lengthy stay there.

In this case it sounds like there was absolutely no need for this bloke to die from his wounds.

If it had been me (and no disrespect to the deceased) I would have gone back home to seek treatment as soon as I could.

My advice - for anything that is at all serious and in cases where treatment can be postponed long enough, return back to your country (assuming you are lucky enough to come from a developed nation) and get treatment there. Always make sure you get a second and (even better) third opinion and don't be afraid to complain or ask questions even if it annoys the staff. It's your life on the line.

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oake. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won't.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault's on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Regards

WILL KEEP UPDATED - BRIDGE

This is an automatically generated response.

Thank you for your email to Stephen Smith MP, Federal Member for Perth.

Due to the large volume of emails that we receive each day, we are unable to acknowledge each email personally.

If you, a family member or a friend are overseas and require urgent consular assistance, please contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 (internationally) or 1300 555 135 (for the cost of a local call within Australia).

If you have a passport inquiry, please contact the Australian Passport Office on 131 232 (for the cost of a local call). Hours of operation are 8am to 8pm (Eastern Standard Time) weekdays and 8:30am to 5pm weekends and most public holidays.

If your email relates to a foreign affairs matter, it will be forwarded to the Minister's Parliament House office in Canberra for consideration by that office.

If you live in the electorate of Perth and Mr Smith is your local Federal Member of Parliament, please ensure that you also provide your postal address.

Thank you again for taking the time to email Stephen Smith MP, Federal Member for Perth.

i didnt know you can communicate so freely with ministers! the floodgates are open....

Hi Bridge,

I'd just like to say thanks for your letter to the Australian Foreign Minister. I've taken the details and emailed him as well. Guess if more of us do this the more we can rock the boat.

So so sad I feel for his family, Wife and Unborn Child........ Andrew RIP

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

Regards

Hi Bridge,

I'd just like to say thanks for your letter to the Australian Foreign Minister. I've taken the details and emailed him as well. Guess if more of us do this the more we can rock the boat.

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

Regards

Great letter.. But if I may suggest.. You should send copies to the Leader of the Opposition, and the "Shadow" Foreign Minister as well if you want to really put pressure on.

Sorry, I'm not an Aussie, so I can't participate. But in Canada the best way to get action by the government is to involve the opposition party and get them on your side.

Best of Luck...

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

A number of posts advancing theories about the possible motive for the attack which were derogatory to the deceased and/or his family have been deleted.

I realize that incidents like this create in people a need to believe that somehow the victims was to blame because it helps them feel safer i.e. "it couldn't happen to me".

But it could.

And shame on those who posted such things.

Serious shame.

What you describe is well known in psychology as a source of cognitive bias and is called the Just-World phenomenon.

Observers of an "inexplicable injustice . . . will rationalize it by searching for things that the victim might have done to deserve it."

It's a sign of defective thinking if nothing else.

Well done bridge, I am going down that track right now, except may language is a little less diplomatic.

Here are some other addresses I've just dug up and am still in the process of finding more addresses and urging the media and pollies to take action NOW, not just for the current event, but also for recent past events as well as paving the way for all future events where there is murder and assults and other similar violent crime comitted with impunity by Thais on Australians.

This must now stop once and for all .

As I have said time and time again, the goverment of Australia could, if they cared to, fix this problem immediately. If they don't know how, they shouldn't be in their cushy, well-paid, safe jobs while Aussies are being treated shamelessly by Thais and Thai authorities in relation to events like this.

If the Australian goverment have no ideas how to fix it, give me the job, I'll do it for nothing and fix it within 24 hours starting with, but not limited to: extreme travel warning, cutting all financial aid, Thai Ambassador to Australia told, to fix it. International expose to CNN, BBC etc, etc. And in future each time an aussie is murdered, violenly assulted , rapped etc all these punishments would be imposed automatically until crime is solved, criminals are behind bars, and have received a personal written open and published apology from Thai prime minister I have other ideas but you kinda get the message. With these types of measures, events like this would be almost non-existant.

I'm about saving Australian lives not about worrying about Thai sensitivities.

All measures must be taken to save Australian lives in Thailand.

The Prime Minister:

http://www.pm.gov.au/pm_connect/contact_your_pm_form

The Foreign Minister:

The Hon Stephen Smith MP

[email protected]

60 Minutes:

[email protected]

7news:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/contact/

PS: Our Canadian friend is right, contacting the Liberal opposition leader is an absolute must!

Edited by barky

:)

Thanks for your post, I totally agree. But Thailand isn't getting more dangerous than it used to be. It's just bad to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The victim might not have known his attackers, and you were right that his wife should know the answers.

Four Thais were really knocking me out pretty badly a few years ago, already lying on the street, bleeding and they kept on kicking me for no reason. They broke my nose, some ribs and other injuries. It was just nasty. My wife was with me, not leaving me alone for a second, trying to stop them. Why would a Thai run away looking for help in the middle of nowhere?

All the speculations that Jaba addicted freaks did that doesn't help him, it's too late. Read between the lines.

It is a very terrible situation and I'd like to send my condolences to his family. Andrew may you rest in peace.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. If that happened to me, I would be on a one way plane out

of here never to return, why did you decide to stay?

It was Chinese New Year, I was showing a new colleague the city when four guys, late at night obviously looking for trouble confronted me. All were drunk and I've told them that I don't want to have any problems, but the shit hit the fan. Cops were also involved, after all I received 2,500 baht and the cop kept 1,000 for his outstanding typing. The tragic thing is that Thais never fight alone and should a foreigner beat one up, they'll come back..........I decided to stay here with my lovely family.Wrong time, wrong place. Could also happen anywhere in Europe or the States. No reason to run away.

post-39518-1271348218_thumb.jpg

Insurance policy, yes...

Anyway...

Just asking... Did you check with a lawyer that this is legal?

Maybe the Insurance guy was trying to blow you off with Hot Air.. You know how Thai hate being confrontational.. they won't even return things at a store, or take store credit when they are entitled to cash.

If I were you, I would consult a lawyer. This doesn't sound right.. and you should fight if they are trying to screw you!

MY father once sued an Insurance company in Canada that wanted to depreciate jewelry that was stolen.. He won and set a precedent... Jewelry is now insured at appraised value. Fight.. and set your own precedent.

Right is Right.

CS

Thank you for you advice, CS

Normally I would do exactly what you describe. But I don't feel like I got the power to do that now.

Right now I'm waiting for my shop+house (a 2 hong 4½ story townhouse) to get sold. I have an interested buyer that right now is applying for a bank loan to buy it all. Then I'm off for moving back home. I'm 44 years and longing to start the life I should've lived years ago. If there where some simple proof on a sheet of paper that I simply could wave in front of the policy guy, I surely would do it. But bringing in lawyers and messing around... Sorry. I'm pretty tired right now. Still feeling sporadic pains etc from the accident. I'm happy I'm at least alive. I mentioned the incident just to share this with you, my fellow expats. So you would know the risks and policies when you travel (or whatever) in this country. Maybe someone (who got more energy than me right now) who know about these things could confirm or deny this, in order to help and enlighten you all who will be keep on living here. At least I'm sawing a seed for something that may be of great importance to everyone here.

Sincerely,

P

Edited by xenomorph

...Bungrumrad are just as bad, if it looks like they won't get paid they'll have you out. I had an epileptic fit on the BTS the next thing I knew I was in their Casualty department, when they realised all I had on me was the cash in my trousers and no plastic, they started to not so subtly suggest I vacate the bed, even though the Dr admitted I shouldn't move and told me to spend an hour or two in the waiting room before going home. God Bless the NHS, it the one thing I miss about the UK

It sounds like the U.S. system.

Not really. Laws prohibit hospitals doing such things. Hospitals are hit with serious fines.

BH no doubt is a good hospital, but pure business. even their docs complain about being pressured to sell sell sell.

I was once there and the doctor coudn't urge me enough to purchase several months supply of medication at the BH pharmacy. 3X the price of normal retail anywhere in bkk. I asked the doc why, he said "because I use the service at BH" I replied "I pay dearly for the service" He couldn't respond and even looked a bit ashamed.

Anyway...

A typo. Missed a word:

"I've become a millionaire on it, but been doing quite okay and able to do as I like more or less during this time."

Should've been:

"I've NOT become a millionaire on it, but been doing quite okay and able to do as I like more or less during this time."

Edited by xenomorph

Hi Bridge,

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

Regards

Great letter.. But if I may suggest.. You should send copies to the Leader of the Opposition, and the "Shadow" Foreign Minister as well if you want to really put pressure on.

Sorry, I'm not an Aussie, so I can't participate. But in Canada the best way to get action by the government is to involve the opposition party and get them on your side.

Best of Luck...

CS

Very good point - thanks. I have just emailed (see below) the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs (Julie Bishop), and the the Leader of the Opposition (Tony Abbott). Their email addresses are part of the public domain and freely available:

[email protected] (Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs)

[email protected] (Leader of the Opposition)

Folks, this thread has gained significant momentum (9000 plus views today alone), and in the interest of fairness I have informed all that I will post any reply on the Thai Visa forum. I will eagerly await any reply and keep all updated.

EMAIL TO SHADOW MINISTER AND LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

Dear. Julie Bishop,

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs,

Please find below an email forwarded earlier this evening to the Hon. Mr. Smith, Minister for Foreign Affairs. Since sending this email less than an two hours ago (2am AEST) the amount of page views has exceeded 8000 on the Thaivisa forum alone. The safety of Australian abroad, and in fact ALL foreigners, is something that should not be taken lightly. I would appreciate a prompt response on the oppositions response to the tragic death of Mr. Oake, and the poor response by DFAT.

Please be advised that any response will be posted on the Thaivisa forum:

Regards

R.

cc. Tony Abbott, Leader of the Opposition

Dear Minister Smith,

Since the incident only came to light today on a local Thailand expat forum (thaivisa.com) it has had nearly 8000 views in a very few short hours of time. By tomorrow, I would expect double that, at the least. You can follow the current forum at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3507560

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oakes.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAR) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine,"

With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won’t.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault’s on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australian abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Regards

Hi Bridge,

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

[email protected]

Regards

Best of Luck...

CS

Very good point - thanks. I have just emailed (see below) the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs (Julie Bishop), and the the Leader of the Opposition (Tony Abbott). Their email addresses are part of the public domain and freely available:

[email protected] (Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs)

[email protected] (Leader of the Opposition)

Folks, this thread has gained significant momentum (9000 plus views today alone), and in the interest of fairness I have informed all that I will post any reply on the Thai Visa forum. I will eagerly await any reply and keep all updated.

EMAIL TO SHADOW MINISTER AND LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

Dear. Julie Bishop,

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs,

Please find below an email forwarded earlier this evening to the Hon. Mr. Smith, Minister for Foreign Affairs. Since sending this email less than an two hours ago (2am AEST) the amount of page views has exceeded 8000 on the Thaivisa forum alone. The safety of Australian abroad, and in fact ALL foreigners, is something that should not be taken lightly. I would appreciate a prompt response on the oppositions response to the tragic death of Mr. Oake, and the poor response by DFAT.

Please be advised that any response will be posted on the Thaivisa forum:

Regards

R.

cc. Tony Abbott, Leader of the Opposition

Dear Minister Smith,

Since the incident only came to light today on a local Thailand expat forum (thaivisa.com) it has had nearly 8000 views in a very few short hours of time. By tomorrow, I would expect double that, at the least. You can follow the current forum at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3507560

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oakes.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAR) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine,"

With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won't.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault's on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australian abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Regards

Good work everyone!

The idea of sending the opposition a copy is just great. Then the government just can't pretend as if nothing have happened. I will remember that trick for future use, if I need it. You should also encourage all S'tralians you know to send a mail as well. The more responses they get, the harder it gets for them to ignore it. You should also mail the media, telling them about the incident and that you have mailed the sitting government. The media can put real extra pressure as well. Do also explain what the "Thaivisa.com" forum is and how many members it has.

Edited by xenomorph

Folks, FYI, the email address for the Federal Australian Opposition Leader is incorrect (as stated on the Parliamentary website), it is actually [email protected].

In any event I have now emailed the Foreign Minister, the Shadow Foreign Minister and the Leader of the Opposition. In fairness I have informed them that this forum has had almost 10,000 views (since the news broke today) and any response will be posted on the Thai Visa forum. I will update when I receive a response (if any)

Bridge

Of course at this time we don`t know the reasons behind the attack and as usual I doubt whether this story will be followed up, so we will probably never learn the full facts.

Also, if it were my son, I would have stuck two fingers up to the insurance company and continued his medical treatment here in Thailand whatever the cost and perhaps considered suing the insurance company later.

Edited by BigWheelMan