Australian Tourist Dies After Thai Street Attack

bridge

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds a dodgy story to me.

Most insurance companies will provide assistance in repatriation when it is required.

Travelling in a mini bus does not sound right to me.

I have just spoke to AAP in Canberra, Australia and vented my disgust with regards to the Insurance company. I directed AAP to the TV link and the journo I spoke to said they may do more on it now due to the interest being generated.

Also the journo I spoke to said that DFAT did not release the name of the Insurance company.

Bridge

Thanks for doing this.

It won't bring this unfortunate man back, but it might help prevent similiar cases in the future.

From the description of what occurred and the time lapse bewteen the assualt and death, this death was thoroughly preventable. His death was as much due to lack of proper medical care as it weas to the original injury. And unlike so many, he had the forethought and repsonsibility to have taken out an insurance policy. :)

Insurance policy, yes...

I had a near death experience 3 weeks ago, when the minibus (rot-tour) to Bangkok drove too fast during rain and wet road. The driver was only 19 years old and probably wasn't skilled enough with driving. The minibus slided off the road and hit a concrete pole for electricity on the side. The woman to the right of me got her head smashed and died at the spot. Her blood were all over me. The hit was so great that her body changed seat and ended up under my back. I basically sat in her lap after the hit. Where the woman sat, used to be my favorite seat. That particular day I came a little late to the station and found the seat already taken. I escaped the incident with one broken rib other minor things on my right arm and side, which still today could cause sporadic pain.

Anyway... The minibus did have an insurance. All the people that traveled in the bus, will receive compensation for hospitalization and lost property etc. All people EXCEPT ME! The reason? Insurance policies!!! I am a foreigner and doesn't have a work permit. That's why I won't receive a single Baht in compensation for my pain, medical treatment, lost shoes, blood soaked and trashed clothes. Of course I was angry. I've paid for the bus ticket just like anyone else in the bus. But nope!

So... Traveling by minibuses (or big buses?) and you're not having a work permit, the bus insurance won't compensate you a single Baht in case of an accident.

Just to let you guys know...

Edited by xenomorph

I have read a number of stories about problems with foreign insurance companies who argue about the provision of cover once an incident occurs.

Like many I have looked for 'value' when taking out cover.

Only when one checks the reviews and sees why certain insurance companies resist actual provision where avoidable cost is involved,

does one realise that 'cheap' insurance cover can turn out to be borderline useless.

I, for one, will think twice in future about taking out so-called cheap cover.

Whether the insurance company in the above tragic case was a cheapo, I don't know.

It should be noted that some of the more expensive well-known insurance cos can be difficult as well.

Source, news.ninemsn.com.au

An Australian tourist who died after being attacked in Thailand will be cremated there on Friday in a traditional Buddhist ceremony, farewelled by his pregnant Thai partner and Adelaide family.

Andrew Oake, 28, from Adelaide, had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in northeastern Thailand, for two months with Som, who is six months pregnant.

On March 17 the pair were travelling between villages when they were set upon by two men on motorbikes.

Som ran for help while Mr Oake was slashed in the arms and head with a machete in what might have been a failed robbery. The assailants, two men and a woman, used homemade weapons in the attack.

On Thursday Thai police were still to make an arrest despite having recovered national identity cards and a motorbike. Police sources said the three were known thugs who worked in the area.

Mr Oake's father, Roy McDonald, told AAP his son was first sent to a local hospital, but the tendons in his arm were severed, and he was sent to Bangkok for surgery.

Mr McDonald said there was speculation his son could lose his arm, but he was urged to leave hospital by his travel insurance company.

He returned to Prasat, nine hours away, but later needed another operation in Bangkok and treatment for an infection that had developed in his arm.

At that point, Mr McDonald said the insurance company ordered his son to return to Australia for treatment or it would end his policy.

Mr McDonald blames the insurance company's insistence - that his son return to Australia - for his death.

"Basically he was killed on their advice," he said.

"He was in no condition to fly. He couldn't even stand up. But the advice from the insurance company was that he was medically fit to fly and threatened to cancel his policy," he said.

Mr McDonald, who arrived in Thailand with Mr Oake's brother and mother this week, said he hoped his son's insurance would provide for Som and the baby.

"I told them he was in no condition to travel anywhere," he said.

"He was fatigued, he was in pain, he wouldn't make it."

Just two hours out from the town of Prasat Mr Oake complained of headaches.

He later lost consciousness and was taken to hospital to be later pronounced dead at 8.20pm last Sunday, Thai police sources told AAP.

Mr Oake and Som were married last year by local monks.

Their friend Travis Senne, 40, an American from New Orleans now living in Thailand, said the attack had been brutal.

"They were brutal swords," he said, of the crude weapons used.

"I was shocked at the weaponry. They were a group of thugs, he was a random victim," he told AAP.

"Andrew was only 28 and was just planning his life, just starting his life," he said.

"Andrew was a very upstanding, honest person, a very responsible family man.

"He had a plan, a life plan, but it got cut short," Mr Senne said.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokeswoman said staff had been in contact with the family and would provide all necessary consular assistance.

"The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," she said.

Mr Oake will be cremated in Prasat.

RIP

Slashed with a machete? This is becoming like Somalia!

happens so often in the uk, that its never reported.

Really, how do you know if its never reported? come on then know it all give us one example where a foreign visitor to the UK has been slashed to death with machetes

Really, how do you know if its never reported? come on then know it all give us one example where a foreign visitor to the UK has been slashed to death with machetes

You won't get it Co's he's talking out of his a@se

RIP Ausie dude, was gutted to read what happened, Sad

notice that the attack happened 4 weeks ago and the first news is from an aussie newspaper,maybe because it happened in isaan and not a tourist destination?Used to stay at the ex's farmhouse near chaiyaphum and we often went to the nearby town(20 minutes by bike)but was told by family "never travel like that after dark"because you could be attacked by people on bikes trying to knock you off and rob you.Like everywhere today its just not safe.

Night time robberies like this are quite common here. Police are well aware of this problem. My brother-in-laws are policemen and tell me they try to "get rid" of these guys if they can. The thugs simply disappear...make of that what you will!

RIP to a fellow Aussie.

So where is "here" culicine? Thailand, Chaiyaphum area, Surin area, or somewhere else? In Thailand, like most countries -some areas are high risk for violent crime and others very low risk, so I think it is wrong to generalise about violent crime risk in "Thailand", and posters should be specific about where they are writing about. I think that urban areas are usually more risky than rural areas, so I am quite disturbed to here of this attack in the countryside. I would still think and hope that this is an isolated incident.

Unbelievable that this poor guy was running around at the penny-pinching whims of his insurance company when his life was at risk. A lesson to be learned here is to get yourself the medical treatment you need after any accident, and fight with your insurance company later. Even if you end up having to pay, treatment in Thailand is so relatively cheap for most of us very fortunate farangs, it would not be the end of the World, or, more importantly as in this case, the end of your life!

Sad Story.

But I won't be surprised to learn that the Aussie insurance company is owned by a USA Company.

This is the kind of thing that happens every day there.

And The Republicans are fighting US Health Care reform.... The USA ... another failing Empire for history's Trash bin?

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I'm English and spend half of every year in the UK. This comment is utter rubbish! If its never reported Patrick, do you have some psychic ability that informs you of all these machete attacks that are happening in the UK???

Story does sound suspect to be TROLLISH. Why would they just hack him without trying to demand anything first? I'm guessing some words were exchanged of the unkind Bogan variety.

Yes of course because they'd act in a logical way wouldn't they.

If your intent is to rob and kill why say anything anyway?

Are you suggesting he said something "boganish" to annoy the machete wielders???

Blame the foreigner first no matter the evidence.

It sounds a dodgy story to me.

Most insurance companies will provide assistance in repatriation when it is required.

Travelling in a mini bus does not sound right to me.

Depends of the coverage. A friend of mine was 9 days in intensive care in a private hospital in Thailand. The insurance covered only a part of the costs as the amount covered was reached. Until there is coverage the doctors would not agree to release the patient in serious condition, if there is no money to pay their bills they usually send the patient to a government hospital.

Sad Story.

But I won't be surprised to learn that the Aussie insurance company is owned by a USA Company.

And The Republicans are fighting US Health Care reform.... The USA ... another failing Empire for history's Trash bin?

CS

Even though I'm not a Briton, I would say that the British Government Health Care System is among the best in the world. The US system have been the absolutely worst in the Western Democratic Civilization, by just feeding greedy insurance companies. Even Thailand got a better governmental supported health care system than US. Hopefully Obama will change that.

Edited by xenomorph

such incident gives me 2nd thought about my plan to drive into Thailand this year end... hrmpp...

Maybe Msia-Hatyai-Phuket routes are safer ??

anyway, very sad of such happening ... furthermore towards a person who is a dad to be ... i hope the family, esp the wife and the kid to come will pull it thru ... god bless them

Absolutely NOT! Its just as bad, if not worse, down there! On top of that you have Muslim extremists letting off bombs in the southern most towns such as Pattani almost daily, on top of that just search (Phuket-Patong) for a long list of violent crimes in the last few years. Where ever you choose to go in Thailand, don't travel alone at night, etc. Common sense stuff. And ALWAYS "ALWAYS" walk away from confrontation, even if you're sure you're right, let it go, its not worth it, you will never win, even if you win! Almost all Thai males will have a weapon on them at any one time, especially in vehicles...

Good luck with your trip:)

• Like 1

notice that the attack happened 4 weeks ago and the first news is from an aussie newspaper,maybe because it happened in isaan and not a tourist destination?Used to stay at the ex's farmhouse near chaiyaphum and we often went to the nearby town(20 minutes by bike)but was told by family "never travel like that after dark"because you could be attacked by people on bikes trying to knock you off and rob you.Like everywhere today its just not safe.

Night time robberies like this are quite common here. Police are well aware of this problem. My brother-in-laws are policemen and tell me they try to "get rid" of these guys if they can. The thugs simply disappear...make of that what you will!

RIP to a fellow Aussie.

So where is "here" culicine? Thailand, Chaiyaphum area, Surin area, or somewhere else? In Thailand, like most countries -some areas are high risk for violent crime and others very low risk, so I think it is wrong to generalise about violent crime risk in "Thailand", and posters should be specific about where they are writing about. I think that urban areas are usually more risky than rural areas, so I am quite disturbed to here of this attack in the countryside. I would still think and hope that this is an isolated incident.

Unbelievable that this poor guy was running around at the penny-pinching whims of his insurance company when his life was at risk. A lesson to be learned here is to get yourself the medical treatment you need after any accident, and fight with your insurance company later. Even if you end up having to pay, treatment in Thailand is so relatively cheap for most of us very fortunate farangs, it would not be the end of the World, or, more importantly as in this case, the end of your life!

If you must know, 2 hours west of BKK, so still fairly urban, though these robberies often happen on rural, poorly lit roads. I've been told that night time robberies of motorbike riders is quite common. My wife's niece was recently robbed of her phone one night on her way back home. Not putting up a fight and giving over what you have seems to be the best advice!

Not exactly vindication in glowing terms on the competence of Thai healthcare, is it?

Depends on where you are. Far out in the bush villages, just forget it! Don't go there! Even if you're fully insured up your ears, you can't find proper treatment. But here in my town 180 km east of Bangkok (population 60.000+), I've always received the best of care at the governmental ampur hospital. Friendly and competent doctors and nurses. Great stock of medicals. But US? No.. Even Canadians won't travel to US without a good travel insurance, which they don't need when only traveling at home. If you're without insurance in the US and seek medical care at a hospital, they put you in a cab which dumps you outside a charity hospital with very limited resources.

Edited by xenomorph

hmmm.. sounds like the travel insurance wanted to save a dime and that cost him his life. I wonder if they can be held accountable.

And yes its real bad to get attacked like that here in Thailand, i hope they get the guys but if there are no more witnesses then it would be hard.

Agree on both counts - I hope the Insurance company gets the appropriate Media it so well deserves... :)

Thailand is now, sadly, getting more dangerous than it used to be. That region around Prasat is a particularly poor one and that will have had a bearing. Did the victim know his attackers? Did they single him out for a reason or would have any falang got the same treatment? These are questions that need to be addressed. His wife should know the answers. It is a terrible situation. If this gets onto the news in Europe, tourism in Thailand will be dead too.

:)

Thanks for your post, I totally agree. But Thailand isn’t getting more dangerous than it used to be. It’s just bad to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The victim might not have known his attackers, and you were right that his wife should know the answers.

Four Thais were really knocking me out pretty badly a few years ago, already lying on the street, bleeding and they kept on kicking me for no reason. They broke my nose, some ribs and other injuries. It was just nasty. My wife was with me, not leaving me alone for a second, trying to stop them. Why would a Thai run away looking for help in the middle of nowhere?

All the speculations that Jaba addicted freaks did that doesn’t help him, it’s too late. Read between the lines.

It is a very terrible situation and I’d like to send my condolences to his family. Andrew may you rest in peace.

Maybe she was scared out of her wits that two men with machetes were attacking her husband in the dark on the side of the highway and after hearing the first slash sink into his arm to the bone she decided to run? Maybe she was concerned that being pregnant, probably smaller in stature, and outnumbered was gist enough that remaining in the situation much longer would not be beneficial to the survival of herself or her unborn child. Maybe she knew their was help nearby, so she decided to kill two birds with one stone and get the heck out of there too.

Condolences to those who survive him. RIP

hmmm.. sounds like the travel insurance wanted to save a dime and that cost him his life. I wonder if they can be held accountable.

And yes its real bad to get attacked like that here in Thailand, i hope they get the guys but if there are no more witnesses then it would be hard.

RIP. I also hope that the insurance company is held responsible if what they said is true. With any luck they will be sued for millions and millions of dollars

corporations have no conscience! rip a truly shocking story that should receive more airtime etc. But heh can't give any bad impressions of thailand, can we?? they can do that for themselves

Of course corporations don't have a conscience they aren't human. Corporations aren't necessarily bad or evil. I worked for a corporation for 25 years that had an excellent reputation for its community outreach, charitable contributions totaling millions of US dollars, it also gave millions of dollars of educational grants and its main focus of making products, empowered and supported people to become more productive around the world. This is not to mention the thousands of jobs it created and income it paid its employees.

For you to say that corporation have no conscience is just nonsense but it is the kind of mindless statement that appeals to liberal anti capitalists.

Sometimes people in corporations or businesses, (We don't know actually what kind of insurance company is involved here.) make bad decisions which appears to be the case in this situation. Some bean counter somewhere, following a "script response" probably told this guy he had to come back home for treatment. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and wife and child.

Sad Story.

CS

Even though I'm not a Briton, I would say that the British Government Health Care System is among the best in the world. The US system have been the absolutely worst in the Western Democratic Civilization, by just feeding greedy insurance companies. Even Thailand got a better governmental supported health care system than US. Hopefully Obama will change that.

(Smile)

Edited by Sisaketmike

The insurers should be seriously shafted for this.

What, folk getting cut up with machetes on motorbikes? A new one on me.

I think this might happen in gang related attacks but other than that I doubt it's common which may be why it's not reported. How would you know it's not reported unless you happen to be closely involved in which case you can't really know if that happening widely.

I have just spoke to AAP in Canberra, Australia and vented my disgust with regards to the Insurance company. I directed AAP to the TV link and the journo I spoke to said they may do more on it now due to the interest being generated.

Also the journo I spoke to said that DFAT did not release the name of the Insurance company.

Bridge

Thanks for doing this.

It won't bring this unfortunate man back, but it might help prevent similiar cases in the future.

From the description of what occurred and the time lapse bewteen the assualt and death, this death was thoroughly preventable. His death was as much due to lack of proper medical care as it weas to the original injury. And unlike so many, he had the forethought and repsonsibility to have taken out an insurance policy. :)

Insurance policy, yes...

I had a near death experience 3 weeks ago, when the minibus (rot-tour) to Bangkok drove too fast during rain and wet road. The driver was only 19 years old and probably wasn't skilled enough with driving. The minibus slided off the road and hit a concrete pole for electricity on the side. The woman to the right of me got her head smashed and died at the spot. Her blood were all over me. The hit was so great that her body changed seat and ended up under my back. I basically sat in her lap after the hit. Where the woman sat, used to be my favorite seat. That particular day I came a little late to the station and found the seat already taken. I escaped the incident with one broken rib other minor things on my right arm and side, which still today could cause sporadic pain.

Anyway... The minibus did have an insurance. All the people that traveled in the bus, will receive compensation for hospitalization and lost property etc. All people EXCEPT ME! The reason? Insurance policies!!! I am a foreigner and doesn't have a work permit. That's why I won't receive a single Baht in compensation for my pain, medical treatment, lost shoes, blood soaked and trashed clothes. Of course I was angry. I've paid for the bus ticket just like anyone else in the bus. But nope!

So... Traveling by minibuses (or big buses?) and you're not having a work permit, the bus insurance won't compensate you a single Baht in case of an accident.

Just to let you guys know...

Sorry, I needed a while to understand that. They didn't pay for any expenses because you were not holding a work permit? I was always thinking that you need a work permit to work in this country. And tourists, who bring good money into this country like to travel, often in a bus. If that's true, nobody should come to Thailand for a holiday. I hope you did try all ways, I can't believe such a inhuman behavior. Please write more details about it in an extra forum, that's more than interesting for all foreigners who like to travel through the land of whys.

RIP. This does not sound like Prasat. 10 to 1 there is more to it.

The Isaan weapon of choice and a perfectly respectable, common place farming implement to be carried on a motorcycle :)

BTW anyone remember the girl who had her arm severed in Saraburi by a machete wielding policeman on a motorcycle in Saraburi about 3 years ago?

Probably saving on bullets...Don't need no grassy knoll for this kind of thing.

A conspiracy to defraud by the insurance company though. I'd go for that one.

A terrible story of individual and corporate greed at the upper and lower ends of the social scale.

I agree totally that the insurance company were completely neglegent which in all liklihood contributed greatly to the poor mans death.

The fact is he would not have died had he not been cowardly attacked in the first place.

However, the fact is as I said before the cops here will not do anything of consequence.

The cops already have the two murderers ID's and they have their motorbike.

So, what are they waiting for????????? Give the culprits time to get away? Try to extort any monies from the culprits or family?

I know, and the westeners that live in Thailand know how these events usually play out.

Sadly, I would suggest that the Australian government are too scared to step on diplomatic toes or are expecting the Thai authorities will "do the right thing" and ensure justice is not only seen to be done , but in fact is done.

I say directly to the authorities in Australia, if you care at all about getting these 2 murderers brought to justice, then you had better get on the phone right now and call the Thai ambassador in and tell him to Fix the problem now or there will be immediate international shaming and the withdrawal of all the tens of millions of dollars the Australian tax payer throws at Thailand each year to maintain good relations.

Well, killing inocent Australians is not what the Australian tax payer expects to get in return.

I might add this kind of thing happens all too frequently to Australians in Thailand. It's high time YOU the Australian government put a halt to it.

Not doing anything meaningful to directly cnvict the two murderers is the same as turning an Australian government blind eye to it.

I also think it's high time that Australian investigative journalism gets over here and exposes the rate of murders and assults on Australians and the clear-up rate of crime in these cases and then can compare that with the number of Thais who suffer the same on a per capita basis. I aready have a good idea what the ratios between the 2 countries would be. Australians lose big time.

The Australian government should at the very least place a full-time travel warning detailing the murder/assult rates in Thailand on Australians and add that the Thai authorities will do nothing to solve any problem in the event an expat or tourist gets into trouble.

RIP to a fellow Aussie.

If the BiB really could make those thugs disappear, problem solved.