Australian Tourist Dies After Thai Street Attack

bridge

I don't know, but... One theory is that the bus owner paid the cheapest policy he could get, which doesn't include foreigners. I don't know this. It's just a speculation from my part. Anyway the insurance didn't cover me, just because I didn't have a work permit. If this is 100% correct and the insurance guy doesn't just try to bullshit me, then a lot of foreigners in this country won't receive a Baht in case of accident when traveling around (or whatever) in this country. Maybe it is expected that every foreigner must have an personal insurance if something happens.

It would be good for every expat or visitor in this country to know about!

The only way that pressure gets applied in cases like this is media attention.. Look at the Thai woman bashed on the beach, if it wasnt for some press and her sisters going to the governor nothing would happen (not that much has with that).

Shining a light on the issue through media often times they dont want the PR.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insurers should be seriously shafted for this.

happens so often in the uk, that its never reported.

What, folk getting cut up with machetes on motorbikes? A new one on me.

Check out the story of a young woman who had her arm lopped off by a drunk off duty policeman.

• 8 months later...

hmmm.. sounds like the travel insurance wanted to save a dime and that cost him his life. I wonder if they can be held accountable.

And yes its real bad to get attacked like that here in Thailand, i hope they get the guys but if there are no more witnesses then it would be hard.

Andrew was the grandson of an old friend of mine. The insurance company (CM) which is used by Flight Centre Australia have a lot to answer for, and i believe they are trying to keep the family quiet.

• Like 1

Regarding the Credit Card Insurance. I always pay my airfare with my Commonwealth Platinum Credit Card, and get free travel insurance.

This is underwritten by ZURICH, and believe me its better than my travel agent (Flight Centres) can give me through Covermore. I advise anyone from Australia to think about this.

this is also what I used to do until last year I had an incident in europe and discovered my platinum visa with city bank would only cover loss of a member or loss of life... nothing else was covered.

flg

The credit card cover with Commonwealth Bank is very good . I checked with them at ZURICH, and they cover everything that Covermore does plus one item more.

Truly a tragic incident. RIP

But given that this occured over 2 months ago... what was the follow-up ? i.e;

- Did the MP's ever meaningfully respond ?

- Has the Insurance Company paid up ? Are they being sued ?

- Was the cause of death fully established ?

- Were the assailants ever found ? etc

I was talking with Andrews grandfather recently and the problem with Covermore is ongoing !