Buying M/cycle

harry1

Hi guys and girls

after buying 2 motorbikes for my g/friend and family over the last 2-3yrs and watched them slowly but surely falling apart i think its time i bought my own in my name and kept with freinds when not there.

i travell to thailand on a 60day tourist visa and get a 1month extension while there,,my question is what visa is needed to buy a 125cc bike in my name,,also do i need to be registered on the name of a house

many thks if you can help,,coming over in about 3-4weeks so want everything in place,,have asked my better half but she thinks it a good idea to put in her name and keep it with her family,,why do i love her so much

b-good

chris

You need a certificate of residence stating your address in Thailand which has to back up by the owners Thai ID. This can be obtained from either immigration for about 500 baht or your embassy or consulate for 2000 baht. This may or may not be obtainable on your type of visa at immigration. Copy of passport and good to go. As far as using your GF addressee.. :) another sucker has joined the club. :D

You need a certificate of residence stating your address in Thailand which has to back up by the owners Thai ID. This can be obtained from either immigration for about 500 baht or your embassy or consulate for 2000 baht. This may or may not be obtainable on your type of visa at immigration. Copy of passport and good to go. As far as using your GF addressee.. :) another sucker has joined the club. :D

You can use a WP in place of a COR. This is what I used. Paid cash upfront. Honda dealer also required a non B, or non O. I have heard of people buying on a tourist visa, but I guess it is up to the dealer.

You are smart to leave your bike at a friends house. I have a friend who lives in the states and comes every year. He has a Yamaha 150 and leaves it at a mutual friend of ours. Thais are notorious for not taking care of things especially if it is not theirs. Sorry, i am not Thai bashing. My Thai wife agrees. :D

You can use a WP in place of a COR. This is what I used. Paid cash upfront. Honda dealer also required a non B, or non O. I have heard of people buying on a tourist visa, but I guess it is up to the dealer.

You are smart to leave your bike at a friends house. I have a friend who lives in the states and comes every year. He has a Yamaha 150 and leaves it at a mutual friend of ours. Thais are notorious for not taking care of things especially if it is not theirs. Sorry, i am not Thai bashing. My Thai wife agrees. :D

The OP is on a tourist visa which is ineligible for a work permit.

When I bought the motorbike on a Non O visa the guy at the shop I bought it from took a copy of my passport and I had the registration document the same day. No residence papers required.

Regarding a certificate of residence, that can be acquired at the local Amphur. When I registered the car I bought out of town my landlord took me to the Amphur to get the letter at no cost. That could be a problem for you if the girlfriend wants to be awkward. Maybe your friend could do you a favour and say you live with him/her instead and get the paperwork :D

Not sure on the visa as I have always used Non O. Maybe someone else will have that information. Or you could go to a local motorbike dealer and ask him, that way you could possibly bypass the residence paperwork.