Opening A Small English Teaching School/translation Service/ Internet Shop In Northern Thailand.

My partner and I are discussing the pros and cons of opening a small private teaching school in the North, we are looking for any advice and suggestions ie: correct paperwork, permits etc....

We are considering opening a shop offering Internet access, translation services and private English tuition by the hour one 2 one. As we feel a student can benefit greatly from one hours intense tuition with homework than being in a large class all week. plus this option might make it more affordable.

There is no competition in the town we are considering.

This idea was put to us by a respected local hotelier.

On doing some more research we have found there to be a need for this business in the area.

All advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Edited by coolhandjoe

Hopefully a few of our posters with some business acumen will be along to answer some of your questions.

Also take a look at the section on businesses. You might find some information you need to know there.

Best of luck.

It will be nearly impossible for you to manage the paperwork and other academic requirements (including Thai staffing requirements) to open anything actually legally described as a 'school' unless you have a very well-educated Thai partner that you trust (not to mention the other 5 co-owners that must exist, the capital investments, and the offices and staff required to qualify for sponsoring work permits).

I would stick with the other options and seek help in the Jobs forum.

It will be nearly impossible for you to manage the paperwork and other academic requirements (including Thai staffing requirements) to open anything actually legally described as a 'school' unless you have a very well-educated Thai partner that you trust (not to mention the other 5 co-owners that must exist, the capital investments, and the offices and staff required to qualify for sponsoring work permits).

Good points,

but how about just using the internet cafe/translation services as a front for private one two one english teaching.

The internet cafe and translation services would cover the overheads, the tuition would be where the profit came from.

Incidently how much does one charge for an hours private english tuition? In the U.K it's about £25 per hr.

Having recently returned from LOS we found most prices similar if not more expensive than the U.K.

I would suggest you find a decent lawyer with knowledge in setting up company & tax etc.

Someone I know has just set up a language center (like IJWT says using the word "school" usually isn't possible without the right accreditation) but he has a good lawyer in Korat & invested around 100k baht to get up & running with wp & tax registration.

I kid you not you will be lucky to get 200baht an hour

Good points,

but how about just using the internet cafe/translation services as a front for private one two one english teaching.

The internet cafe and translation services would cover the overheads, the tuition would be where the profit came from.

Incidently how much does one charge for an hours private english tuition? In the U.K it's about £25 per hr.

Having recently returned from LOS we found most prices similar if not more expensive than the U.K.

• 3 weeks later...