Couple Of Questions Regarding My

maxcherry

I hope someone can help.

I will be bringing my dell laptop from the UK - can I:

Hook this up to the Thai power supply easily - what do I have to do?

What internet service providers are there. I just need basic dial up for my 56K modem as I only need it for email and ebanking - can use icafe for anything else. If someone could point me in the right direction of some of the Thai ISP sites I would appreciate it.

I hope someone can help.

What internet service providers are there.  I just need basic dial up for my 56K modem as I only need it for email and ebanking - can use icafe for anything else.  If someone could point me in the right direction of some of the Thai ISP sites I would appreciate it.

buy an adaptor for your powerplug, standard telephone jack for modem will do

a scala of internet prepaid cards to choose from

click here for a ISP list

Edited by bangbuathong

I hope someone can help.

What internet service providers are there.  I just need basic dial up for my 56K modem as I only need it for email and ebanking - can use icafe for anything else.  If someone could point me in the right direction of some of the Thai ISP sites I would appreciate it.

You can buy dial up packages from 7/11s and many other places , I currently use Shark byte by www. ji-net.com which costs 179bht for 15 days unlimited use, and currently has a five day bonus on many packages. You can assign your own user name and password and retain it from card to card.

N.B. ISPs seem to work with certain telephone providers e.g. Shark Byte works with the T.O.T. network it does not recommend connecting to T&T and says it will not work with T.A. so ascertain the telephone provider whose line you will be using before you buy the card.

The Thai phone socket is the standard U.S. socket (same as modem in) which I believe requires an RJ45 plug, so you need an RJ45 to RJ45 lead you can buy anywhere including Tesco where you can also buy an adaptor for your UK plug but buying a US or two pin euro plug lead to power supply might be more reliable.

Edited by spacebass

Yes, I agree with everyone...

Local power is 220V 50Hz .... UK stuff works just fine.

Thai power sockets are the US style 2 or 3 pin, you may even find the ground actually connected :o adaptors readily available. Lots of places (Pantip Plaza) will sell you a power lead for your Dell with a suitable moulded plug (for a couple of quid) safer than a local cheapie (wobbly) adaptor.

Phone is the US style thingy (6 pin RJ11), like your modem in socket, get a lead here, even our tiny local 7-Eleven sells them.

7-Eleven also sell internet access cards, scratch off the username and password to put in dial-up-networking, log on and surf.

DC

Edited by Crossy