Charley Browns Mexican Food

Thaiquila

I ate there two weeks ago. It was not great food and would not consider even good Mexican food except that this is Thailand. So it is not bad but not as good as Senor Picos. Haven't tried Bourbon St so cant compare yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Charley Brown's the other night and had a fantastic time, the margaritas went down a little too well, the food was great and the prices were much cheaper and better value than Senor Picos. Highly recommended.

I went to Charley Brown's the other night and had a fantastic time, the margaritas went down a little too well, the food was great and the prices were much cheaper and better value than Senor Picos.  Highly recommended.

Always a good sign when someone pops their posting cherry to pimp some restaurant.

jb

Based on a few dozen experiences at the original Charley Brown's, and one meal at the new one, I'd say the standard is as good or better than before. It is entirely adequate Tex-Mex food. Wouldn't hold up in Austin or Nuevo Laredo, but this is Bangkok.

Edited by Soi Mongrel

I was excited to try Cb's but when talked to a few Locals they said it was just ok!

I was down in Pattya and ate at Tequila Reef and that that was Pretty good

I think ive been away from California to long!!

I am even eating The thai steaks and thinking they taste ok :o

I love Mexican food.

What are their prices like?

I shall pay them a visit upon my return.

I thought you were going back in a couple of years.... most prolly won't be there.. you know what it's like with these places... :D

totster :o

BTW- me and you were in the same school then birthday boy, happy birthday

• 3 months later...

Visited this place Friday night with a friend passing through from Hawaii. Food was slightly better than any Mexican food I'd had in Bangkok - reasonably good, prices unremarkable. But - the service was extraordinary - right up with the best I've had in Bangkok (which was usually at five-star hotels). The manager is a young Brit guy named Mark (who is also a swimming instructor) - and he seems to set and maintain top service standards.

The two things missing in Bangkok are: good guacamole, and good cheese - and these were the weaknesses at CB's as well. But - for a place half a world away from Mexico, this place does well. A world above the very poor Mexican food at Ye Old Bell next door (but thy make some good pork dsihes there).

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Personally, I like Tia Maria. Maybe not as good as you'll find in SoCal but the best I've had in BKK. The address is 120'29-30 Sukhumvit Soi 23. From Soi 23, you turn and go past Wanakarn Thai restuarant and continur around the left turn.

Personally, I like Tia Maria....

You're playing with us, right?

Better you go to the Great American Rib Company on Sukhumvit 36 any Monday night. Rob, who used to be in the kitchen at TR in Pattaya back when they made the best Mexican food outside the continental USA (and Texas), is the guy responsible for the wonderful smoked ribs there. On Mondays he does Tex-Mex more or less for the fun of it. B200, as I recall, gets you all you can eat of unquestionably the best Mex ever made by a white guy.

And that's the name of that tune.

I went to Mexican night at Great American Barbecue tonight. Food was fair - not as good as Charley Brown's -we both agreed - and we have now each tried a total of about six dishes at both locations. We both awarded "best taste" for all six dishes to Charley Brown's. But - if you are ravenously hungry, the "all you can eat" at GAB is a better deal, financially.

Ditto with CB's - no guacamole, and mediocre cheese.

But - tastes differ.

We each had one of the MONSTER Paulaner biers - man, that is one huge beer (probably at least a six pack of regular bottles). Each of the beers cost as much as "all you can eat" dinner for two.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

i went just Tia Maria ,Sinor Pico ...and other one i forget the name :D

tia marai gave me huge plate ...emmmmmmm

sinor pico is classy

the other one on silom Rd, forget the name, maybe the corner of pat Pong ..love their potato skin baked .. yummi ..(even it cooked my hard palate already :o:D )

Edited by BambinA

i went just Tia Maria ,Sinor Pico ...and  other one i forget the  name :D

tia marai gave  me  huge plate ...emmmmmmm

sinor pico is classy

the  other one  on silom Rd,  forget the  name,  maybe  the  corner of pat Pong ..love their  potato skin baked .. yummi ..(even  it cooked my hard palate already  :o  :D )

And the huge plate contained what, Bambina??? I was there once, could not see any resemblance between what was on the plate and any Mexican food I know...so I left :D

Señor Pico is for me the best mexican food in town...

Bull

sinor pico is classy

the  other one   on silom Rd,  forget the  name,  maybe  the  corner of pat Pong ..love their  potato skin baked .. yummi ..(even  it cooked my hard palate already  :o  :D )

And the huge plate contained what, Bambina??? I was there once, could not see any resemblance between what was on the plate and any Mexican food I know...so I left :D

Señor Pico is for me the best mexican food in town...

Bull

Bean :D:D

sinor pico is classy

the  other one  on silom Rd,  forget the  name,  maybe  the  corner of pat Pong ..love their  potato skin baked .. yummi ..(even  it cooked my hard palate already  :o  :D )

Ola! Donde esta la restaurantes' en tu contestación? <Where are the restaurants in your response?>

Having lived in Mexico for a few years, when I get down to Bangkok next month for a few days I would like to check them out...... not having any "Real" Mexican food in years, just a reasonable facsimile would be OK.