Airport Situation

Perhaps passengers to Europe who are at Subarnabhum right now may be able to get some information from TG airport staff, however trying to get any answers from Thai International by phone or from their website is a total waste of time, and once again as soon as there is a problem TG just can't cope and don't seem to be even trying.

The TG website list of affected flights is one day out of date (now 11.30am 17th and the list which still appearing is for the 16th).

I confirmed that my flight (TG920 depart Bkk 2345 17th) is cancelled by going to the Frankfurt Airport website arrivals listing.

If you have an E ticket with, YOUR AMADEUS REFERENCE NUMBER IS:XXXXX

go to WWW.CHECKMYTRIP.NET, enter your AMADEUS REFERENCE NUMBER and your surname for your flight information,

I am still OK for a flight to Europe next week(fingers crossed)

If you have an E ticket with, YOUR AMADEUS REFERENCE NUMBER IS:XXXXX

go to WWW.CHECKMYTRIP.NET, enter your AMADEUS REFERENCE NUMBER and your surname for your flight information,

I am still OK for a flight to Europe next week(fingers crossed)

Just tried AMADEUS again, got a message 'cannot access airline'.

Just confirmed by phone to TG that:

- TG 920 ex Bkk today depart 2345 for Frankfurt is in limbo. All passengers are requested to physically be at Suvanabhum at 1900 today to get final answer on this flight. Cannot get answer by phone.

- TG website has special banner in regard to this situation. Click on the banner and it still shows the list of flights cancelled yesterday. Nothing showing for today at all. I asked TG staff why it's not updated for today. Answer: because staff person who updates the website only works Monday to Friday normal office hours (great customer focus).

- Just also checked Frankfurt Airport website. The whole airport is closed and will likely not reopen for at least 24 - 36 hours.

- BBC World still confirming that all western European airports are closed.

Edited by scorecard

An other blow to Thai tourism, no incoming flights from Europe 17-18-19 April at least.

How many planes/passengers?

TAT can revise it's stats downwards again.

I guess Swampy will be a quite place today.

An other nice problem for those who booked/paid connecting domestic flights with Air Asia Or Nok Air, re-booking fees are expensive (sometimes more expensive than the ticket itself) and how to rebook when you don't know when you can fly?

Edited by tartempion

An other blow to Thai tourism, no incoming flights from Europe 17-18-19 April at least.

How many planes/passengers?

TAT can revise it's stats downwards again.

I guess Swampy will be a quite place today.

An other nice problem for those who booked/paid connecting domestic flights with Air Asia Or Nok Air, re-booking fees are expensive (sometimes more expensive than the ticket itself) and how to rebook when you don't know when you can fly?

why post useless info? let me see .. no plane, no people, no tourist....rivetting :)

I was in Singapore yesterday, what a nice quiet airport Changi was, the check in area nearly deserted.

I stumbled over a German-Philippine couple which slept already a night on the airport.

They had tickets on Lufthansa for Singapore-Jakarta and on to Bali with Air Asia, should fly than with a day delay.

I bet flights to Europe are full for days/weeks to come especially right now & worsening day by day.

However it seems finally a bit of good news like:

Austrian airports reopened incl. Vienna today so perhaps tonight's BKK-VIE flight will fly...

http://www.austrian.com/Home/Sales%20Site/...on/Volcano.aspx

Also KLM already flew out to AMS-BKK-TPE yesterday, but without passengers though perhaps preparing for soon to come inbound flights...

Else we're still stuck with only Rome, Madrid & Athens as major Euro airports operating is it?

Just talk to TG they inform earliest flight to northern Europe (Germany at least) is 22.Apr, but I wonder if they really know anything just like everyone else...???

only 100% sure way to know if you can get a seat is indeed to head to the airport a couple of hours before the scheduled dep. & hope for the best.

A dedicated 'emergency' info/rebooking area is setup in the check in area with a few helpful 'info boards' as well...

you might try calling the 'special' TG info numbers as well (I just get through immediately), but not sure I trust the info from them though :)

02-545-3182 or 02-545-3184-7

only 100% sure way to know if you can get a seat is indeed to head to the airport a couple of hours before the scheduled dep. & hope for the best.

A dedicated 'emergency' info/rebooking area is setup in the check in area with a few helpful 'info boards' as well...

you might try calling the 'special' TG info numbers as well (I just get through immediately), but not sure I trust the info from them though :)

02-545-3182 or 02-545-3184-7

Quite the opposite way of handling the crisis. I am stuck in New York for my flight back to Bkk (via Frankfurt - Singapore on SQ 25). Called the SQ office in New York this morning and has been advised that both flights on 19th and 20th have been cancelled and been advised not to go to JFK airport.

Thus SQ planned a day ahead, and not have passengers wait it out at the airport.

umm why are non europe airports effected - isn't sq25 a jfk-sin direct flight (bypassing affected europe ash airspace)???

anyway it takes planning to plan ahead - even many west europe countries struggle to have web info or sufficient phone support or press announcements etc like how short notice flight might be reinstated with...

now however I believe TG announced no flights at least until 23apr on current closed routes so yeah no need to visit the airport I guess!

http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair_4p/fr...g=898&lg=en

London Airports will be open from 1900 Tuesday for minimum 24 hours - this has been advised to airlines operating at LHR from Airline Operators Committee

Edited by Orac

London Airports will be open from 1900 Tuesday for minimum 24 hours - this has been advised to airlines operating at LHR from Airline Operators Committee

Will open means flights will be on or not ?

24 hours means ? flights will be on and off ?

I assume it means flights and that the 24 hours is specified so that long haul operators can send aircraft without having to recall. Information is very limited at the moment but this is what i have received 2nd hand which originally came from the general secretary of the AOC as an advisory to airlines operating out of LHR this afternoon.

Also I have received communication from Continental Airlines that the dust cloud will be over US later today so there may be further problems, though i assume this will have little effect on Thailand

Edited by Orac

According to a statement today from NATS at 15:30UK time London restrictions may be lifted tommorow but I see nothing in the statement that says.....

"London Airports will be open from 1900 Tuesday for minimum 24 hours"

They can open the airport but it doesn't mean planes will fly.

Latest NATS Statement below.

http://www.nats.co.uk/index.html

"Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 1530

The volcanic eruption has reduced and the volcano is not currently emitting ash to altitudes that will affect the UK. Assuming there are no further significant ash emissions we are now looking at a continuously improving situation.

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday.

From 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday, Scottish airspace will be open, and south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool. Mainland Scottish airports will be open.

This is a dynamic and changing situation and is therefore difficult to forecast beyond 0700 local; however, the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow (Tuesday).

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 2100 (local time), today.

It is now for airports and airlines to decide how best to utilise this opportunity. Passengers should contact their airlines to find out how this will affect their travel plans."

Edited by MB1

BA have now announced long haul flights will leave LHR from 1600 tomorrow and short haul from 1900. BMI have announced domestic flights starting from LHR 1900.

Orac, BA have announced they "AIM" to fly/operate but it don't mean they will fly/operate that is up to the authorities and not BA, please read the below from BA's own website..BA have announced they "AIM" to fly/operate and they have not stated they will fly/operate and have not stated that long haul flights will leave LHR, they "AIM" to, spot the difference anyone.?. Inaccuracies in posting don't help anyone who's stranded or waiting to fly Orac.

Below from BA website..17:55pm UK time/GMT

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/volca...ano_home_banner

"Disruption due to volcanic activity in Iceland

Last updated 17:55 - 19 April 2010

British Airways will aim to resume some flights into and out of London's airports from 7pm on Tuesday April 20 following the proposed reopening of UK and European airspace by the aviation authorities.

We are working on detailed plans to help as many customers as possible who have been unable to fly due to the unprecedented circumstances that have faced all airlines operating in northern Europe over the last five days.

All British Airways flights to and from London airports are cancelled on Monday 19 April.

On Tuesday 20 April, we will aim to operate

•all longhaul departures that were scheduled to depart after 4pm and

•all shorthaul departures scheduled to depart after 7pm.

This will however be subject to the full and permanent opening of airspace.

All flights before these times have been cancelled.

Please do not go to the airport if your flight is cancelled.

Online check-in is currently suspended.

If your flight is operated by another airline, please contact the operating carrier for information. We regret that we are currently unable to display accurate information for other carriers.

You are advised to check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.

Check the status of your flight

We are keeping our flying schedule under constant review and will give you as much notice as possible once we receive more information from NATS (National Air Traffic Services).

Edited by MB1