Suitcases (only) Bkk To Cnx By Land

CMX

I'll be arriving in BKK next month from foreign parts with two suitcases weighing nearly 25kilos each. Search as I might, I cannot find an easy reasonably-priced way to get them from the city there to Chiang Mai (while I fly up with our friends at Airasia). I DID find an entry for putting a motorcycle on a train, but nothing for a couple of suitcases; also one entry from Odysseus or someone who go up into a skyscraper to ship elevating objects. I'm trying to improve upon these. While in BKK, I'll have a day in hand, so I can afford to trek around a bit.

Anyone have a clear idea?

(I know about train and bus alternatives for us riding together, the second being less interminable than the first, yet that station's far across the capital. Also am keeping in mind colorful shirts.)

I'd appreciate particularly ease of delivery/collection (locations) and prices.

Thanks in advance for ideas -

Check with your Thai air carrier. I don't know about AirAsia, but Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways will take your international baggage at no additional cost provided you present your boarding pass(es) from your international flight, showing that you arrived the evening before and you are taking the first flight out to Chiang Mai. It worked for me last week with Bangkok Air. I had two large bags (50 pounds / 23 kg each) and two heavy carry-ons (one being a laptop), plus a boxed bicycle. All went without additional cost. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth investigating.

The Thai Post Office is also worth checking.

They have an office at teh airport. I don't have first hand experience but I've heard from others that they are very reliable to retrieve the bags and despatch them to your internal destination, fast delivery and at very reasonable cost.

Perhaps if ou call the Suvanabhum Airport help desk number they could give you the Post Office number. The help desk number is shown on the early parts of this thread.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

Thanks to all (so far):

That's good to know about two airlines that will accept I'national rules - didn't know that.

But it is Airasia's rates that I wanted to enjoy - without paying a lot for the luggage, as they require as part of the trade-off. I've previously taken a VIP bus and don't regret it - but going up through town is a bother.

Certainly I'll check there at BKK at the post office, sounds very promising - getting up to the bus station sounds worthwhile, if I go by cab the next day, but then it's back down to Suvanabhum - and almost not worth it if the luggage is on my bus, which is included in the price. Decisions, decisions.

Well, what occasioned my curiosity was not only extreme frugality but the exact differences (Airasia at 700baht, Thai at 5565baht, with Bankok Air in between on the day just after my arrival). And since I must have that extra day mentioned in the OP in the capital, I understand that the last two might be charging me airfare anyway? Or perhaps they'd take baggage on a late evening flight within 24 hours of arrival?

But I must thank again for ideas.

Well, what occasioned my curiosity was not only extreme frugality but the exact differences (Airasia at 700baht, Thai at 5565baht, with Bankok Air in between on the day just after my arrival). And since I must have that extra day mentioned in the OP in the capital, I understand that the last two might be charging me airfare anyway? Or perhaps they'd take baggage on a late evening flight within 24 hours of arrival?

But I must thank again for ideas.

Thai at 5565 baht? Why do you want to fly business class when you don't even want to pay for a little excess baggage?

Why don't you try Thai Airways economy? Only 3500 baht if you fly next month.

Many sincere thanks to Musongman and Hawksway for carefully reading my original post and responding specifically to what it asked.

Clearly I'm going to have to work on making my OP more, er, clear.

Oh yes, I saw that I did not find (using Skyscanner) Thai Air's 3500 baht fare. Should have thanked Blinky Bill after I confirmed that rate (and good for my date) with the Thai Air site. Appreciate your alert.

Sorry to have been so dense.

So if I'm in the area of the Mo Chit bus station, they'll ship the bags up to Arcade, train same type of arrangement, with bus likely being cheaper?

(Being a dense beggar, I'm trying to get it clear in this old head.)

Thanks, terrific and specific!

Edited by CMX