Be A 3 Month Monk

Siam_superfly

To get on the same wave length  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im working with a guy now, who lives in and works out of Bangkok....

He is married to a Thai lady, has been for years..

He did his 3 months as a Monk....and when I asked him why he did this, he says that...

"If u ever want to be successful with a real Thai lady, then u have to be on their wave length".....

Now thats hardcore, but it worked for him...... :o

Edited by Siam_superfly

I ordained almost 10 years ago to the day.. (for a month)

It was by far the best thing that I have ever done in Thailand and helped me look at Thai culture/traditions in a whole new way..

I would definantely recommend it to anyone who plans to live in Thailand for a while.. not so much as a life experience, but as an educational experience..

In saying that, ordain in a temple outside BKK.. somewhere in the jungle or countryside..

I would certainly give it a go if the time was right. Now I am happy to spend the time with my wife, I spend enough time away from her without making it worse by becoming a monk. Maybe if I was in Thailand permantly I would be in a better position to consider it. I think my wife would welcome it, but not for 3 months I'm sure :o

Anyway, as far as I have heard the length of time is not important, one can choose to become a monk for any amount of time and still benefit (is that the correct word :D ) from the experience and respect that it carries.

totster :D

Ordaining is good for getting into Thai culture, and for being accepted in Thai family life. However if you are wanting to get into Buddhism, then I recommend doing a few meditation retreats - and while there are some good places in Thailand, for various reasons I think that Europe or the US is the best place for English language meditation retreats.

I thought seriously about becoming a monk for a while but eventually abandoned the idea. I would still love to do a temporary ordination in Thailand though -- at least one month or three months if I had the time. If I stay in Thailand for longer and plan to marry a Thai lady I will almost certainly do it.

The old head monk down at our local wat keeps suggesting that i give it a go but I tell him that after a night on the booze i cant get up too early in the morning.

His reply of course is ....dont worry about that since you no allowed any beer in ere. :D

They are not a bad bunch and always hungry for any stories i might have from the UK...especially ...political :D and we usually spend quite some time sitting about rabbitting on ...before the holy water and blessings...

Wife thinks me being a monk even just for the weekend is a great idea but I recon she only wants me out of the hoose for a couple of days. :o

i will become a monk for one week with a thai friend .. we agreed we would if liverpool won the champions league.

it is actually something i have thinking about for some time now and follow the buddhist religion quite closely .. if anyone know of a temples near chiang rai with english speaking months can they please send me the information ..

i will be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me

i will be learning more at a temple in london before i come so that i can benefit truly from the experience

If you were to ordain temporarily then I'm sure that the monks would greatly appreciate you services as an English teacher :o

As much as I appreciate that this is part of Thai culture, it's really not a necessary part of becoming a Buddhist.

I introduced my friend/girlfriend to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin through going to one of the Soka Gakkai (SGI) centres in Bangkok. Although I'm back in England at present, it's really good to hear from her about how much more positive and happy she has become through our practice.

So there we have it. She's now found a Buddhism that is greatly transforming her life, and I didn't need to be monk to introduce her to the way of connecting with her own Buddhahood. :D

you could prolly teach them a thing or two ...

:D

Wine, women and song :D:o

Yep, those three things get me everytime :D:D:D ....

Maybe if the Wat" was out in the sticks and I did not even so much as see a Thai lady, I might make it through.......

It would be a peaceful time, a once in a lifetime adventure of a different kind....

:D

My Strife is becomming more insistent about it, has even got the Wat picked out, the Head Monk actually suggested that I do it there.

Oh well have got another year to think about it, but I wont even consider it untill my Thai is up to scratch.

My Strife is becomming more insistent about it, has even got the Wat picked out, the Head Monk actually suggested that I do it there.

Oh well have got another year to think about it, but I wont even consider it untill my Thai is up to scratch.

I can just imagine you with a shaved head and eyebrows... :D

and no beer for a coupla weeks... :D

:o