Bank Account

seven

Hi There !

In about a month I will have an non-immigrant O-A Visa. I would like to open two bank accounts in Thailand:

1) a bank account for thai Baht which is no problem I assume. How do I open one ? Is that easy ?

2) Can I open a Thai bank account where I remit Euro's and not convert them immediately into Thai Baht ? If, at a later stage, I need to remit Euro's from Thailand overseas I would remit them from that euro account. Is that possible ? Or am I required to convert any Euro which is transmitted to Thailand immediately into Baht. If so, can I then still convert it again in Euro's and remit it overseas ?. Or are there restrictions ? I realise that, in that case, there are costs involved.

Thanks for your reply

Seven

There is no problems in opening a thai bank savings account,you sign some papers show your passport and put in some money,they issue you an ATM card and a bank passbook.

But why not leave your euros in the bank that they are in now,You can use the ATM card that I assume you have in any ATM machine here in thailand if you need to.Might save you some trouble later,I would not put anything in a thai bank that wasn't a must. The banking laws and rules here in Thailand are different than about anywhere else.

It is way easier to send the Money in, than it is to try and send out of the Thai bank ,to a foreign bank! I have done it, and there is additonal form, that covers the Bank people's butt here in THailand. I think there are laws which discourage the repatriation of funds. They like the capital to roll in, but not out!